Notices

Codependency and Beyond Part 20

Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Hope it's ok to post another reading - I just finished journaling & then reading some pages I had marked on FEAR! This one really helped today

Courage to Change – February 17

My vision can be so limited. I often think that the only possible outcomes are those that I can imagine. Fortunately, my Higher Power is not restricted by such logic. In fact, some of the most wondrous events grow out of what appear to be disasters.

But faith takes practice. Fears can loom large, and I can get lost in my limited thinking. When I can’t see any way out and I doubt that even a Higher Power can help me, that’s when I most need to pray. When I do, my actions demonstrate my willingness to be helped. And time after time, the help I need is given to me.

Today I know that even when my situation looks bleak and I can’t see any way out, miracles can happen if I turn my will and my life over to God.

TODAY’S REMINDERI have an important part to play in my relationship with my Higher Power – I have to be willing to receive help, and I have to ask for it. If I develop the habit of turning to my Higher Power for help with small, everyday matters, I’ll know what to do when faced with more difficult challenges.

“In the hour of adversity be not without hope For crystal rain falls from black clouds.” Persian poem
Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Rita, what is it that you fear?

We were swamped over the holiday weekend with work. That's when most plants shut down and contractors are allowed in. Our son ended up working crazy hours and husband, for the first time ever, expressed worry that son would be angry with him. I reminded husband that son knows the deal, signed up for this and gave him a hug. Still, it hurt to know that husband was hurting with his own vulnerability, and it was so hard for me to let it go. I changed the subject so neither of us would dwell on it, and son seems to be fine.

Husband just got a call from his brother about his BFF, the one with cancer. He's not recovered from the initial surgery to remove the tumor and is being moved to hospice. Husband predicted this from the start, he never bothered with hope that it would be any different. It wasn't pessimism on his part, it was a critical thought process. Still, my husband fears losing his friend and the pain that goes with it. We know the BFF will go quickly now.

I tried to speak about it for a minute but husband changed the conversation and I hugged him, let it go. I know he's hurting right now and I'm sad about everyone, but especially about my husband's pain. And now I'm tasked with letting it go, too. We've all been experiencing grief and sorrow, and know that more is coming.

I hope you and Mr Pink find a way to let go of the fear or work your way through it

DeVon, sinus headaches kick my ass harder than anything. I want to cry from the pain but that just makes it worse. I hope you feel better very soon!

Amy, seems you're balancing your world again

Kevin, truth always works for me, too. Even vague ones if a situation calls for prudence.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rita, I'm sorry you feel fear. I know what that is like. I was afraid through my whole life, and made all the decisions in my life, big and small, based on fear. That was a gigantic eye-opener to me when I began recovery. Fear robs you of yourself. Is your fear an ambiguous, anxious feeling, nothing specific to be afraid of, but afraid nonetheless? Hugs and prayers for you to find peace and pinkness in your life today.

DeVon, I hope you feel better!

Kevin, good for you for continuing to work on your boundaries.

Chino, I'm sorry for the impending loss your husband and you are dealing with. Losing someone you love is always hard.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
mergirl

(((pink)))) (((((chino))))

big ehugs

either I typed it out wrong, or you all see impending doom that I do not hahaha. I am having a splendid time for the most part. Besides the joy, laughter, trust and intimacy we share, I am also getting to watch someone who has worked recovery for 2 decades go through big changes, and it is so nice to watch. Recovery really does take away some of the unmanageablity (made up word I guess) and fear.

JB is the one I anchored myself to when my husband died, even while I used the trainwreck to forget.

I think he might be in love with me. Time will tell if he thinks so too.

In any case, I get to learn about grown up relationships with a spiritual foundation.

And you know me, I am always ready to risk for love =)
Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Well, I fizzled out after one store, which took a while. Since I got such a late start, it was 6pm (and 90 degrees) when I finished so I just came home. Told myself that it's okay to have "off days", especially when I've worked the night before. Was talking to a couple of cashiers at the CVS store and they both said there was no way they could work at McD's as it is "too hectic"...that pretty much does explain in.

(((Chino))) - I'm sorry for you and your husband. I am glad to hear that hospice has been called in. I always think I should have called them in with mom, but I honestly didn't know she was that close to death. I still plan, at some point, to do something with hospice, even if it's just volunteer. I'm glad your son is fine with all the crazy hours, and your hubby sounds like dad and I...when either of us are going nonstop, we worry about each other.

I know, logically, that the older I get, more people I love are going to die, and it's one of those feelings where "I just don't wanna go there"

I talked to aunt Phyllis. Her tummy is fine, but she is in a lot of pain. She asked me about the pain patches, a friend is sending her brochures on what she found out. I told her that they ARE strong medicines, and the fact that she's in pain and won't even take a pain pill...well, she really needs to talk to her dr. about that.

(((Lisa))) - I don't think you misposted...just some people going through a lot.
(((Rita))) - LOVED the reading. I've gotten better at defining what it is I fear, as I still have a lot of fear-based feelings, but sometimes I can't quite put my finger on it. This is a good reminder to let God handle it. He'll either make it clear, or I'll work through it, clueless to how I do it, but I do.

(((DeVon))) - hope the headache is better.

Getting my appetite back, trying out different foods. Had a dream about milk? Breakfast was cereal, and just had some deli roast beef..the dog is going to be totally ticked because she thinks it's all for HER, but I did share

Got Elvis on my lap, Mots on the filing cabinet, life is good. Put dad to work on our bathroom sink that has been clogged, forever, but I never thought to just ask him to check it out. He fixed it, I told him he was my hero (was brushing my teeth and cleaning the others in the bathtub) and even stepmom chipped in and thanked him, and he was all smiles.

Will get my rest, and feel up to more than one store tomorrow.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Amy, I'm glad that your mouth is feeling better and your appetite is coming back.

I'm working on feeling gratitude for what I have. When I'm tired, the the old 'poor me' tapes start running in my head and it gets annoying.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

"You have to reach out for help then be willing to accept it. My grandmother told me this when I was a young girl. Rehab told daughter and I this. If you won't reach out for help it is because of ego and foolish pride. We've discussed this before.

Son's friend committed suicide today because he wouldn't initially reach out for help, then got so depressed he was no longer able to help himself. BFF may very well lose the will to live the minute he's settled in hospice. His will is the only thing that has kept him alive this long. ASK FOR HELP! I'll go with you or stay home if you want to be alone, and I won't take offense. Just let me know what you want and need."

That's what I just told husband. Minutes before that, he learned his friend is moving to hospice within the hour. They're giving him 7 days max. Husband was sitting on top of the roof of the garage to talk with friend and his wife. He reminded me so much of a scared little boy when I saw him.

He has a residential job tomorrow because we're swamped and all our operators are working. I said call the homeowner and tell them why they have to wait. If they're good people they'll understand and wait. If not, screw them, we don't need their money.

Husband is getting his things ready to fly to his friend, hopefully tomorrow. I never tell him what to do, but when I saw that scared boy on the rooftop, I knew he needed direction. The rest is up to him.

About the suicide.... son called about an hour ago with the news. Aching hearts around here
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

(((Chino)))) - so sorry for the aching hearts. That's a double whammy and I know it has to hurt. Mega loves, hugs, and prayers to you and your family.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Thanks so much for all the love and support!! Doing the Next Right Thing to work on dealing with this FEAR ~ journaling, reading, sharing, all that stuff we are suppose to do!

((Chino)) ~ prayers of peace and comfort for you, hubby and all those hurting!

((Anna)) ~ hope you got some rest

((Amy)) ~ so glad your appetite is getting better!! Hope your McD's work days go smoothly

((Kevin)) ~ keep up the continued recovery work - your growth inspires me to continue taking care of myself!

((Lisa)) ~ You sound so grounded and healthy - wishing you the best of luck in this relationship!

Today is a PINKFUL Day, regardless -right?

Hope each of you are able to enjoy the sunshine of your spirit!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
mergirl

Wednesday, July 6, 2011
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go
Step Seven

Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings.
—Step Seven of Al-Anon

In the Sixth and Seventh Steps of the program, we become willing to let go of our defects of character - issues, behaviors, old feelings, unresolved grief, and beliefs that are blocking us from the joy that is ours. Then we ask God to take them from us.

Isn't that simple? We don't have to contort ourselves to make ourselves change. We don't have to force change. For once, we don't have to "do it ourselves." All we have to do is strive for an attitude of willingness and humility. All we have to do is ask God for what we want and need, and then trust God to do for us that which we cannot do and do not have to do for ourselves.

We do not have to watch with bated breath for how and when we shall change. This is not a self-help program. In this miraculous and effective program that has brought about recovery and change for millions, we become changed by working the Steps.

Today, God, help me surrender to recovery and to the process by which I become changed. Help me focus on the Step I need. Help me do my part, relax, and allow the rest to happen.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chino, I am so sorry for your son, his friend and family. What a sad loss! And, good for you for encouraging your husband to go to his friend. It's an opportunity that he might have passed up and regretted not going.

Happy Wednesday, everyone! And, Yes, I think it's a Pink Day.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Chino im sorry that you are having hard times.

Im listening to rock music today. Channelling my anger

I have a question right, what is your opinion on the expressing of feelings. Its not something im used to doing. I have this concern that at some moment in time i may get confronted by someone saying 'what is it with you and telling us how you feel all the time, thats not normal' or something like this. Of course this hasnt happened.

I have been using expressing feelings to show boundaries you see. Its new though i didnt used to express my feelings if i thought they would offend the other person and i im not quite certain as to whether telling people how i think would be as effective. Another source outside of SR was advising they use feelings to set boundaries too. What do you think. I will let you know how that boundaries book goes but its not arrived yet

kevin

ps im reading codependent no more a 2nd time
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

oh and i noticed that one of my fave albums of old is called 'without you im nothing' nuff said
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

(((Kevin))) - will have to think about the expressing feelings thing. I don't think I usually say what I'm feeling unless someone asks me "what's going on". However, I'm a chatty cathy and if I'm in a funk, if someone asks me about why I'm so quiet at work, I just say "lots of stuff going on".

Dad, I guess heard from Brit..now she's back in GA (actually in the town I'm going to do a store, and where our friend died last month), used his debit card number after telling him she didn't have the number with her. He told stepmom he's going "to do like Amy, just ignore her".

I corrected him, told him that I DON'T ignore her, I talked to her, many times, when she was home, but when she gets in one of her attitudes, I DETACH so I don't get sucked into all the drama.

Tomorrow, my mom would have been 71. Hard to believe she's been gone 20 years, last month. I didn't even remember her death, on that date, but am not going to feel guilty for it. It was the week of "new teeth and finals" and I think about her every day. Just realized I also forgot aunt Phyllis's b'day on the first..sheez. Another call to her while I'm driving to the stores.

Got hold of my other boss..he is putting my money in the bank, as we speak, so I can fill up my car and pay the car payment. The advance they gave me has been fulfilled and this is my money.

Time to head out into the sauna and do a couple more stores.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Anyone ever feel like relationships in early codie recovery are like extracting a ball of chewing gum from a spiders web? That's how i feel. Called my father today and had an ok talk again. Going to go an see mum and dad tomorrow. I'm following the advice of a book on dysfunctional families and trying to deal with my father as much as possible.

My mother bless her i find difficult and somewhat dangerous [them both actually] but i have explained what parts of their behaviour i find upsetting [as far as possible without going too far] so we will see how it goes.

Thanks anna for your encouragement
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

No im not going to get im not pleased with boundaries and although i have honestly expressed my thoughts on the matter im not comfortable and would rather display my hurt at the way i feel violated.

That and the fact i get to deal with my own thoughts before i just 'rush' to see them simply because they want to see me
Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

no got calm then decided i will go
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

(((Kevin))) - good luck.

Okay, so the picture is small, but there is a pic of my "new smile" on my profile. I clicked on it and it got GINORMOUS, but it's there.

My mind kept going to the anticipation of what will happen if/when Brit comes home, so stopped by my waterfalls on the way home and that's where I took the pic. Too sunny for a pic in FRONT of the falls, of course, but it was calming and pretty (though we need some rain!)

Dad is on his way to SC, said his brother told him, today, he needs to get to CA to see my g'ma..she's getting weaker and weaker (I think she's 94?) She was here, last year, and such a sweet g'ma. He's trying to get a paying trip out there, I told him I will go with him. There's no way I'll let him drive to CA, knowing it's the last time he'll see his mom, by himself. I don't see it as being codie, because I want to go, too. There are several family members I haven't seen in YEARS, and my one aunt is kinda like aunt Phyllis and mom-Kay..love just oozes out of her. She and my cousin (her son) are also both sick, so I don't know when, but I see a long trip ahead.

Will give my bosses the head's up, and will start a list of what I need to take (earplugs, for one), so if we have to go quick, I will be prepared. I'm looking at the butterfly quilt g'ma was making for mom when mom died, so she finished it and gave it to me, and am crying. It's okay, grief is most definitely appropriate, even though she is still here, she's on the other coast

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
mergirl

Love the new pic Amy, stunning!! I sure hope we can manage to get together when you come to cali
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks ((Lisa)) - sent you a pm of where in CA we would be going and don't think it's anywhere near you

Not my night Just found a letter I'd overlooked that my Dr., the one I absolutely ADORE, is quitting the practice. It was a heartfelt letter, one he obviously gave a lot of thought to, and he says he has the utmost confidence in the other dr. there, hired back in Sept. I can only pray the new dr. is half the person Melvin was.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Amy