Notices

Class of June 2011 Part Two

Old 07-03-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Raquell, this is my first Sunday sober in a long time and it is beautiful! The World seems full of opportunities and adventure! It seems so simple doesn't it but when you embark on this journey it really does take life somewhere new.

Some odd things have happened recently. In the past I gave longed for the sensations of my childhood that I felt in particular places. Longed for the feelings they gave me. Three weeks ago, I lay in bed (had not drunk the night before) and it felt exactly like it did when I was a kid. I was excited about what the day would bring. Last week, I was walking back from the shop and I was back in southern Spain, by the pool, watching the planes land and depart from Malaga. A few days back, I could smell Iceland, which I visited when I was 14. And yesterday, I was in Florida driving to Epcot with the school. This started before I was sober but I love it. It feels as if I am back!!! I begun teaching after Uni, I did it for 7 years and hated it. I left this year and have begun my own company doing what I love: history and education outdoors. I thank my Higher Power and all those who stayed with me through the dark moments for getting me here. I am truly sorry to those I hurt. I love you Juners!

Chimp!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Raquell, this is my first Sunday sober in a long time and it is beautiful! The World seems full of opportunities and adventure! It seems so simple doesn't it but when you embark on this journey it really does take life somewhere new.

Some odd things have happened recently. In the past I gave longed for the sensations of my childhood that I felt in particular places. Longed for the feelings they gave me. Three weeks ago, I lay in bed (had not drunk the night before) and it felt exactly like it did when I was a kid. I was excited about what the day would bring. Last week, I was walking back from the shop and I was back in southern Spain, by the pool, watching the planes land and depart from Malaga. A few days back, I could smell Iceland, which I visited when I was 14. And yesterday, I was in Florida driving to Epcot with the school. This started before I was sober but I love it. It feels as if I am back!!! I begun teaching after Uni, I did it for 7 years and hated it. I left this year and have begun my own company doing what I love: history and education outdoors. I thank my Higher Power and all those who stayed with me through the dark moments for getting me here. I am truly sorry to those I hurt. I love you Juners!

Chimp!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Here is a quote from Julius Caesar (Act 4 Scene 2), it is Brutus talking to Cassius before the Battle of Phillipi:

There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
Oh, that was wrote for us. We are on the tide.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Bugger! I just wrote out a massive post and then deleted it!
offtopic, but what I conditioned myself to do when writing a massive post or email is press ctrl+a & c (select all / copy) all the time so may something nasty happen, I'll always have my text under ctrl+v (paste). It takes some getting used to but it's a second nature now. I never lose any text. : )
Old 07-03-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

Hi everybody!

It's a rainy Sunday here, which means I'm feeling super lazy. Slept in, read a book, drank a whole pot of tea, noodled about on the internet, then did an hour of yoga to make up for all the laziness!

I'll chime in on the Shakespeare-a-Thon here, with Lady MacBeth:

"Give me your hand. What's done cannot be undone."

Certainly less of an inspiring contextual situation than the Battle of Agincourt, but still: putting the past behind us, it's onward and upward together, my friends!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

I realized that today I have 80 days.

But I miss Squishy.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Classical View Post
Hello, classmates!

I can't imagine why I'd want to wreck everything by drinking.
The same happens to me. I don't know why the heck I ruined all my weekends. But I think it is important to know why we were drinking, what underlying problems led to drinking, so as to overcome them.

I hope everyone reports back on the fifth with 100% success rate. If we do, you think we should broadcast our results as encouragement to the main forum?
I do think so.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

Classical, I didn't "sign" the pledge since I was away during all the 4th of July discussions, but may I retroactively join?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Good morning Juners! Happy to see how well everyone is doing this weekend. I've really enjoyed reading through the last few pages of the thread!

Tuesday - congrats on your strength and resolve during this visit with you brother. You certainly have been tested, and I would guess that after conquering this weekend, you will be able to face any temptation quite effortlessly! Good for you!

Blackbird - I'm wondering if you could have some fun for yourself by defiantly pouring each and every bottle of that tecata down the drain. Be a rebel and show that demon alcohol just how bad-a$$ a sober mind can be!

Chimp - I really enjoyed your comparative post where you reflected on your last two weekends engaging alcohol. I felt sad reading of the blood you shed and yet so happy for you for taking such amazing care of yourself since you became sober! Your post is a brave reminder of why we are all here and needed to make this change in our lives. As your sister in sobriety I just felt the need to say I am so proud of you! And thank you for sharing that post.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

CherryD - congrats on getting thru another day. I think the particular dream that stood out in you mind about the blue ooze could be taken as a positive metaphor as you were expelling it from your body.

Classical - In the weeks leading up to my surgery I was very insecure about the possibility of being replaced in my absence from work. In sobriety however I was able to to take a 'come what may' perspective. My boss came to visit me last week bearing flowers, generous gift cards and a get well card with which he requested I get well quickly so the company doesn't fall apart! Lol. So there is the reality where as were I still drinking those voices of insecurity would still be nagging. I am grateful for so much, and sobriety allows me to feel that gratitude each day

My zen has returned, though I know the issue that brought me down the other day will still need to be resolved. Who knows when that will happen and why let it ruin every moment until then? If I was drinking today the issue would consume me. But alas that is not the case

Buelah - I am very happy for you! What a strong couple you and your husband make. Hopefully the experiences you share will help those of us who are looking for advice on success with sobriety and relationships. I tried to get sober a few times during marriage. My husband was not so supportive. Perhaps it is the fact that I have been single for a while now that I have been able to do so without any conflict or complication.

I wanted to say how much am enjoying the literary and historical references with regard to sobriety! Being taken around the world, back through the ages, music and even the visuals of Mariano's avatar! Love it!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

classical
I banish those thoughts in the name of Beethoven!!
.... Well if it's in the name of beethoven! then I banish them too!
... and indeed we should post results in the main forum. good call. You've got the best ideers ever.

I just have to say to all of my classmates. If it weren't for you I would not be on my sixth sober day! xoxoxoxxox! It is so nice to be able to have y'all here for me!

p.s. I think someone may have asked why I don't just dump them all out?
A: because the beer belongs to my husband and he is a very what's mine is mine kind of person. Funny that I would totally not respect him if I were still drinking... I would drink them all, then replace them the next day, then drink those too! and soo on.
Could it be that a sober me is a more respectful me? *duh*
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

ahh. see what a lil scroll up will do. It was you bee! I wish i could. He He!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hey Classmates...short and sweet as we are heading out for a motorcycle ride this afternoon (lovely day here after some high heat, humidity, and a wild storm yesterday)...but glad to see every one is in such great spirits and doing well. It makes my heart just smile! Even if it were rainy today, my world would be full of sunshine because of all your stories.

My main concern is where is Squishy? I PM'd her yesterday. Maybe I missed something somewhere that she is on vacation somewhere this weekend. But, just need to put my mind at ease.

I'll catch up later....but you can't beat this smile off my face today because of all the joy I've seen pouring out of this thread. We all still have our struggles. But, the support has been out of this world.

And yes, the Shakespeare is awesome. I dreaded it in school, but now I find pleasure in reading it. Makes way more sense as an adult.

Hugs to every one! Enjoyed another day sober. And yes...second Sunday of no hangover, sobriety...and alas...double digits. I'm on day 10! Woohoo!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hi all, I'm checking in today. Was gone all yesterday. I'm still sober and feeling strong. Happy 4th weekend. I'm catching bits and pieces of how everyone is doing... Looking good!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Yes that was me! Sorry Blackbird! Hope I didn't offend. I thought he bought it for you because it was your favorite.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Classical... Oooo, nice sheets. I'm a bit jealous
Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

not at all bee...! I did enjoy it, we both did.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hello, classmates!

Good to see everyone sticking to their guns through this weekend. [...] I hope everyone reports back on the fifth with 100% success rate. Classical
No casualties reported so far, my captain.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Sunday - 2:29 pm Toronto time - I've had a good and successful weekend for the most part...lots of fun and no drinking!

It's super hot in Toronto - 29 degrees and sunny. We've spent most of the day poolside. I did a 10k run at 7:00 am this morning as part of my marathon training regimen. We had a dinner party last night and everyone was drinking but I made it through unscathed.

All along I've been telling myself that I'm really not sure where I'm going with this. I don't know that I'm ready to simply be done with drinking forever. I do have to do a better job of drinking if it is something that is going to be a part of my life though and I think I have to give myself a shot at that. I may or may not work out but even if I fail I think that the failure is something that I need to do.

Oh well, no point worrying about it yet. I've said all along that I'm not going to drink for at least one month and I've got a ways to go for that...June 13th is my sobriety date.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Has anyone heard from Squishy??

Tippingpoint- I think that your choice to incorporate alcohol in your life may not be the best choice. It is yours to make though. Why are you thinking that it would be a good idea? Just wondering. I tried to do that before as well. I am not judging you at all. I found that it taught me that I can not have alcohol in my life at all. I can not be just a causal or social drinker. I can't just have one. That experience taught me that.