Administrator

Class Of May 2011 Part 2

Welcome to the new forum

last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2011-a-20.html

D
Old 06-03-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just found this forum today, since it has just moved. I'm on day 12, a new record regarding any substance abuse over the past 20 years. I've only consume a little beer but a lot of Vodka over the past 10 years. over the past 4 years, it's come down to (1) pint in the evening and a couple of bottles over the weekend while balancing work, resposibilies and family life.

Eventually, it (my demon) began to take its toll and I've wanted to seek counciling over the past few years. I finally broke down to my wife and called a counciling association through work. Now, I feel great and I finally slept through the night on day 11. I'm slowly turning back into the young man (even though I'm 41) I was before this demon slipped into my life. Occasionally, it taps me on the shoulder in the evenings to remind me that its there, however, it is losing strength and I'm gaining it.

It takes an insurmountable amount of strength to fight this disease and I'm honored to be surrounded by such strong individuals on this website.

Furthermore, I've read a lot of inpiring posts and replies that I feel are a great means of support for me.

I started my journey on May 23rd and continue to take it day by day.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice! Glad to move over to part 2.

Neverthought, welcome to this wonderful place. Congrats on day 12. Isn't it wonderful to return back to the people we once were (or become the people we were meant to be)? Wishing you the best in your recovery journey. BTW, 41 is young!!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 10...after a slip. I think I'm a little more equipped to handle the triggers. The other day I wanted to drink and the voices in my head were taking over so I wrote down my sneaky thoughts on paper and was able to put REALITY to the crazy thoughts. it really helps me to get my thoughts out to another person OR on paper.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^ Great idea, I'm thinking of starting to do some journaling and meditation as well. Pretty sure I used alcohol to handle my stress which is not the best idea

22 days sober geez, sadly that's the longest I've been sober for probably 7 years......
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, a new thread! I feel like the bar just closed and we all just moved over to the after party (said with an ironic grin).

Anyway hope everyone is still well. I personally made it through the last two days w/o relapsing but just barely. I really really want to get my 30 days. Only three more to go!

Where are 3steeds, pumpkin, TT, and CatFry at?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Part 2, I also like the sound of that!

My copy of "Under the Influence" arrived yesterday afternoon & I've got only 60 or so pages to go. I highly recommend it reading this book, really put things into perspective for me & greatly increased my understanding of the disease I suffer from.
After All, knowledge is power.

Had another good day today, but I'm really looking forward to tomorrow & the three week mark for me!

Being a part this group has kept my soberity & sanity intact, Thank You for the support, understanding & more than anything the willingness to listen.

Hope all have a good weekend.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
His Sunshine

Hey everyone,

It's been a good week. Went to 3 AA meetings this week, and I'm working the initial steps. I have a temporary sponsor, but I'm still looking for a permanent one. I want someone close to my age (35), but it's hard, because most of the people at meetings are 10-15 years older than me. I feel like someone closer to my age could relate to me better and understand what I'm going through.

But I've had a nice night. My boyfriend and I got sushi takeout (my favorite) and watched Sinbad's stand-up show on Comedy Central. He is a funny, funny man! Happy Friday!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello.
Its good to hear from you guys. I am glad we have made it this far. I know its been tough at times. I dont think I would have made it if it wasnt for my friends in the class of May. I really am grateful to you guys. When no one would listen or I felt I had no one to talk to, you were there. Complete strangers 30 days ago. In my thoughts and prayers today.

BeenDown- I know your gonna make it to 30 days. I have no doubt.You have a strong personality. Youve done more than I think I ever could have. Your the rockstar.
Sarah- Im glad you think 41 isnt old. I really missed up my first 40 yrs. I am on track to do a lot better with the time I have left.
Concur- Ive been wanting to read that book. Maybe nows the time. Thanks
PaH-Glad youre working the steps.
erik,Neverthought,Irish-Im glad your here. Welcome.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

I'm here but very sleepy. Talk to you soon! Of to night night 4 now.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

I broke down last night and had little scotch in my soda. Sorry to say I broke my good record. Its been a really tough week with lots of tests of both my emotions and logic. I won't go into the details, but I know you've all been there. So, I tried drinking soda at the Friday night ritual and wound up adding a little scotch here and there. I'd say about 3 tbs., hardly any. But I do know that is the little voice again luring me into the path I ought not go. I'm just coming clean this morning and facing the facts with you. Back to square one, but still wanting to stay with our Class of May 2011, if that okay.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes TT please stay with us. It took courage to admit what happened.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree. And please stay. You are very important to our group.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am class of April but that thread stays pretty quiet. Once again a round number day has me in knots- I always seem to have the hardest days at 20,30,40 and now 50. I know my body is healing and just when I think my brain is out of the woods, wham...luckily I have not given in.

Stay. Strong!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all, Im back from a lovely holiday in Isle of Wight. Sorry to admit another relapse but not on a major scale but I will be back on day 1 tomorrow. Todaytoo - never mind we will be working together again closely. It hasnt been a major battle for me this time - I didnt fight the urge too much I just thought im on holiday and I went with it. I know I would feel better if I hadnt and the demon will now be telling me its ok now and again but I intend to try and stay off it from tomorrow.

I hope you all can forgive me we really did have a lovely time and the weather and food was amazing - ive got quite a tan which is pretty unusual after a holiday in the uk!

Great to see all the newcomers in here and well done to the regulars I hope I can follow your example better in June. I did however have more sober days in May than I have for almost 30 years (im 43 - its not THAT old haha).

See you all tomorrow for a fresh start.

PS x
Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to see people struggling...

I found that everytime I went back it reinforced the absolute howling emptiness that was there for me in drinking....

not drinking is hard, but at least it offers the chance of change.
Staying sober takes faith...but believe me, it pays off.

If you're struggling, please think of what you can add to what you've been doing.

Think seriously about ways to get more support, to reach out more, become more connected.

We can all do this

D
Old 06-04-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Challenge ahead!

Hi everyone! Thanks for having me. For those that had a relapse, the most important thing is that you recognize it and are will to start at square 1 again. We all support you!

I will be traveling for business this coming week. I'm leaving for Orlando, FL, tomorrow morning. I will be having dinner with my colleagues probably every night up until Thursday, which whom I'm sure will be partaking in some cocktails. Typically, when I travel for business, I usually party it up on the evenings. Though, I guess I did that even when I wasn't traveling (silly me!). The bottom line is that I'll abstaining during this trip and it's going to be quite a challenge. I'll be checking in at sober recovery hopefullly every night to give an update. I'm on day 13 and feeling strong.

Today I read that a typical detox on the body takes about 6 weeks. I'm sure that's a bit give or take, but that kind of woke me up.

I'm realizing I definitely have some tough times ahead, including this coming week. Though I know I'm going come back with another 5 or 6 days under my belt with everyone's help. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry to see people struggling...

I found that everytime I went back it reinforced the absolute howling emptiness that was there for me in drinking....

not drinking is hard, but at least it offers the chance of change.
Staying sober takes faith...but believe me, it pays off.

If you're struggling, please think of what you can add to what you've been doing.

Think seriously about ways to get more support, to reach out more, become more connected.

We can all do this

D
Welcome back PS

It's boggling to me how a simple act-actually, the omission of a simple act- can be such a challenge. All one has to do is **not** tip up a glass; not go to a liquor store or wine shop....I am an HFA with an advanced degree, a job with huge responsibilities, a 40-mile per week running habit...yet in my entire adult life this is by far the longest sober time ever...perhaps since my teenage years....how. Insane. Is. That.??!!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess sometimes not doing something isnt easier - but worth it in the long run
Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi everyone....

It's been mentioned already but I do want to share a bit more about the book
:Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.

It was the information there that convinced me to finally quit....and the eeating plan suggested was vital to my early recovery....

While not all of it pertained to me..enough did...and it opened my eyes.

Excerpts are here...it's a sticky post in our Alcoholism Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

However...please get your own copy...it's well worth the small cost..IMO There is a sequel "Beond The Infleuence" by Ketcham
I've not read it...but Amazon usually carries both books.

Yes...you too can win over alcohol...