Notices

Class Of May 2011 Part 2

Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you feel lighter concor. Carrying heavy burdens and trying to get sober sucks.

Update from me, I couldn't be around all the drunkards last night at my work event plus I was having really bad cravings so I snuck out and went to a hellaciously unorganized NA meeting where two guys almost got into a fight and the air conditioning was so loud I couldn't hear a word anyone was saying. Left that meeting during the break and went home to watch re-runs of 80s sitcoms.

Simple pleasures

Hope everyone is well and I'll try to check back in later tonight.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Concor, It sounds like you're doing great. I agree with D, if a weight has been lifted you are definitely headed in the right direction. Time will tell if you and your gf are meant for each other.

Beendown, your post made me laugh; not the fact that you had cravings and had to leave, but the na meeting you described. Doesn't sound like that one would keep people from using!! Great job on overcoming and giving in to simple pleasures.

PAH, good to hear from you and glad to hear you're feeling good.

I'm doing great, still going strong and really don't miss the wine at night. I have really come to appreciate good, sound sleep and guilt-free mornings. I think I'm around 23-24 days. I'll have to check that out since I'm approaching 30 and that will be something to celebrate.

To all other May friends, wishing you a wonderful sober weekend.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi y'all,

Just wanted to check in again. Went to my first AA meeting tonight since NA has been all kinds of disasterous. I was worried about going since I'm an addict first and alcoholic second but it turns out 75% of the people at my neighborhood meeting were addict-alcoholics like me. I guess living in Manhattan has its advantages?

Anyway, the meeting was fine. I'll make it through day 33 unscathed.

Honestly though I'm not sure if I'll make it through the weekend. I'm really tired. I'd love so much just to have one day where I don't have to fight these cravings.

Not looking for advice. I've got the tools abd the skills I need to fight on. I just needed to share that "burning desire" with you all.

Lotsa love...
Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Had a great party without alcohol even though alcohol was available. Didn't miss it a bit and feel great now, not having to wonder if I did or said something stupid, not having to think I'll have a headache tomorrow, not having to figure out what to do since I can't focus on anything I'd really enjoy doing. Simple pleasures, I hear you, BeenDown2!

Concor, I am so glad you did what you did and feel the way you feel about it. That took real courage and seems like it was definitely right if you have that feeling inside. That's the Spirit giving you reassurance. Another of life's little pleasures.

I tried to find the book Under the Influence and found two novels that can't be what is meant. Then I found Beyond under the Influence. So, I need to keep looking. Who is the author of the one I should be looking for. Do you know??
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi TT.... Under the Influence is by Katherine Ketcham and James Milam.
Sarah - good to hear you've been doing well... Look forward to congratulating you on 30 days soon! I'd like to hear how people celebrate without alcohol... Something I still need to get my head around. Wine was my thing too, Sarah. And a lot of it...
Concor- echoing what others have said, flying solo sounds like the best option for you right now and there's lots of support here whenever you need it.
Beendown - have a good rest this weekend.... In AA the acronym is HALT - don't allow yourself to get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. I find all of these are definite triggers.
PAH - hello! Clear thinking is awesome
And sorry to those I've yet to shout out too...I do most of my postings from my phone which makes backtracking a bit tricky.
Have a good weekend all
Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beyond the Influence is by the same folks - I gather it's a follow up, tho I haven't read it.

D
Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi all just a quick check in as I missed yesterday. Day 6 here - drinking not entering the equation at all as ive been in almost constant pain through non booze related problems. I dont cope/communicate well when im in pain so will keep this brief. Will see if it eases off over the weekend then will go doctors on Monday if no improvement. I had a minor surgery 3 weeks ago and was told to try and stick with it for 3 months but if its gonna be like this for 3 months I cant stand it and it will have all been wasted (its a womans thing - I may post on one of the womens only threads to see if anyone has had similar where I can go into more detail).

Anyway glad you are all doing well and hope to be back and more positive soon!

PS x
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hello. Going for an overnight camping trip with my son. I want to get back tomorrow so I can go to my AA meeting. Stay strong this weekend my friends.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone has a good weekend

D
Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newstart75 View Post
I'd like to hear how people celebrate without alcohol... Something I still need to get my head around.
Same here!

Have to go to my gf's brother's wedding tomorrow. That's gonna be so rough being sober. Will probably just dick around on my phone & try to leave as early as possible lol

Have a good weekend everybody!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in & see how all are doing.

Still dealing with g/f issues, she's somewhat bent that she'll have to purchase certain items to maintain the place, as well as how empty the house is rapidly becoming.
Truly a love/hate situation.
On one hand, I hate leaving, but love the mere thought of starting my new life & with any luck I'll be in my new apt. by mid week.

Some brighter notes...
I may have picked up a gig building another traveling exhibition. Met with the Director of Exhibits today & another slated for next week to iron out some details. Nothing set in stone, but it looks very hopeful.

Tomorrow I celebrate 28 days of sobriety!
My thanks to everyone in the group for putting up with me for the last 27!

One quick shout out...
Pumpkin, hope your feeling well soon!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Have a good weekend everyone. Pumpkin, sorry to hear about your operation. Hope you all have a great weekend and return well-fed, well-rested, unimpeded and in good company.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

concor, if you love the thought of starting a new life, you are better off on your own right now. Just that "shout out" for encouragement that you're doing the right thing. It sounds like things are really working in your favor.

How do I celebrate w/o alcohol? My life may be a bit different than most of yours? I am older (late 30's) and I have a husband and children. I can celebrate quite simply with a night out alone at the gym, going for a bike ride, or taking the family out for ice cream. I no longer need the wine/alcohol to feel like I'm TRULY celebrating. The simple pleasurs in life are bringing more joy these days than the booze ever did.

I realize some of you are single and on your own, but you can party/celebrate life without altering your mind. Go to a movie, go for a long bike ride, start running, just sit outside and embrace the beauty of the day, whatever. Anything is better than turning to a toxic substance to alter your mind and play with your emotions.

With love, Sarah
Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thanks Sarah, for the first (or maybe second) time in my life I've started running....it's hard because I'm unfit and have only just stopped smoking.... But I love it! Good advice you've given on celebrating, I'm feeling grateful today for the joyful parts of sobriety that I'm starting to discover, thinking clearly and wanting to think and learn more about the world instead of fogging up my head with alcohol and worse, blacking out altogether. Similarly, the feeling of being 'in' my body by running in the cold air or swimming, instead of escaping and numbing sensations through drinking. All the while I believed alcohol was making me think clever thoughts and be wittier, and that it was somehow helping me to feel something physically, when really it's effects are the opposite.

Pumpkin - take care x

Erikm - enjoy the wedding sober! Have a good laugh at any drunken dancing!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Happy to report that my pain eased off yesterday afternoon and apart from it returning but not as bad for a while this morning it feels like the worst is over. I asked for the pain to go when I prayed yesterday morning, I try to avoid asking for things for myself but I added that it will help me do "God's" will if im not in pain. Maybe its coincidence but I dont care - it seems to have worked!

Went to a fantastic meeting last night - I was unsure about it as it was one specially for a speaker to talk about the big book side of recovery - none of this "namby pamby one day at a time business - do what the book says - do the steps - get on with it - dont wait a week a month a year just do it and help others". That was the kind of theme bearing in mind it was in the speakers own experience and not for everyone but alot of what he said really appealed to me and I can see there are different ways you can approach the AA way of recovery. I had tingles down my spine and tearful moments - it truly has helped me with new ideas of how to move forward. One thing he said in his early days he was reluctant to pray to "god" but he wanted to follow his sponsor as he could see it worked for him so his sponsor said do you believe that I believe in my god and he said yes so the sponsor said ok then pray to my god - and he did and it worked. Now he has his own understanding of god but this appealed to me and when I pray now im going to do that to the "god" of his sponsor, of everyone who has faith in god in AA and of course still to my mojo. That will do me fine for now until/if I find one of my own I can really believe in.

What im trying to say is there are so many different ways you can approach this and im open to all of them and taking what I can from all the things I think will help me. Im starting to understand though that one of the most vital things to help recovery is to help others. It probably sounds obvious as thats what we are all doing in here but for me I need to put more physical action into it when and where I can.

Enough of my rant - im just feeling happy and passionate and well today so do excuse me!

3steeds the camping trip with your son sounds wonderful and wholesome. I plan to do more stuff like that with my kids. I cant get the missed years back but I can give them a better mum for what is left of their childhoods.

Erik - good luck at the wedding - I can imagine how tough that will be - I just said a little prayer for you.

Concor - I hope things go smoothly for you with your gf and the move - its very hard when it gets to the love/hate stage - try to remember what she has had to go through while you are drinking and forgive her any bad feelings she may have - its tough on both of you but it will be easier if at least one of you can do it with humility and forgiveness. Im not trying to make you feel bad ive just learned from others that the best way to get through someone giving you a hard time is to forgive them - I hope that makes sense? Good luck with the exhibition I hope it works out and congrats on 28 days tomorrow! Blimey listen to me giving you advice and here I am on day 7 - I feel cheeky - im just trying to share what I have learned from others who have much more experience really.

Todaytoo - thanks although it wasnt really an operation - just a minor surgical procedure - im a wimp when it comes to pain - god knows how I survived all those hangovers!

Sarah - you are not older than me, im 43, although I stll feel 20 odd in my head. Your ideas for celebrating sober are great - im not ready for much strenuous exercise yet ive alot of weight to lose and fitness will have to be built up slowly but I plan to spend time sorting out the gardens bit by bit everyday which will help.

Sorry this is so long - feel like I had some catching up to do!

Happy sober saturday everyone.

PS x
Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Newstart - you posted while I was typing - feeling grateful for things is something else Ive learned to do recently - the speaker talked about that last night as well. Its a big part of recovery for alot of people. I say 5 things im grateful for every morning and night when I pray - they are often the same things but I dont think that matters. Well done on the running.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I just wanted to check in here. Still sober at 40 days. I'm sorry to hear about some of the issues you guys are having to deal with. But I'm really happy to see all of you posting. When I see some people dissapear, then I PM them but get no responce, it just makes me wonder in a sad way.

I'm doing pretty good, but am trying to deal with loneliness. I'm single right now and live alone, so it can be difficult sometimes. I'm also trying a new diet, and am getting major food cravings. I pretty much cut out all suger and fats. There's not much left to choose from after that. I'm on my 4th day of dieting, and my junk food cravings feel like 100x stronger then my alcohol cravings.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Morning! Things are good here. I do find I have some lack of patience w/my DH @ times. But...it's always been that way. He seems to not listen to me when I'm talking and even walks away from me when I'm in the middle of talking. (Yes...I have mentioned it to him.) That has always pissed me off. And...would cause me to pick up sometimes. He does have a slight hearing problem...but, he seems to hear his friends speak all the time. Selective hearing? Other than that...and rude drivers on the road, I'm doing OK.

Concor~Seems like moving on is the rt. ticket for U! Good luck on getting that Gig!

PS~Glad UR feeling less pain today! Hear U on helping others. I used to volunteer @ a Women's Center...maybe it's time to go back and do some more.
Getting your hands in the Earth is very therapeutic. IMO.

3S~Have fun Camping!

Erik~Dicking around w/your ph @ the wedding should help. LOL! And...U could take pix of Drunken attendees!

Sarah~UR Sooo OLD! NOT! Yeah...simple pleasures are Good!

NS~Yeah...B/Outs are worse....

Dune~Perhaps that diet is too Strict? Congrats on the 40 days.

Everyone...have a Good Sat.!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarah1414 View Post
I am older (late 30's) and I have a husband and children.
O.k. I'm not old! I meant older than several who post here. Some of you sound like twenty-somethings.

I'm with you pumpkinsoup, most days I still feel/think like I'm in my 20's!

Dune, Congrats on 40 days! That is great. Good luck with the diet. Are you doing that for weight loss or health reasons? I'm sorry for your loneliness. Just remember, this time that you are investing in yourself now, will only make for better relationships in the future. You're doing great.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd be careful of going too all or nothing too quickly Dune...gradual changes are best, I think, not only from a genral health point of view but also for folks like us...It's my experience we can very easily misread a craving as a craving for alcohol.

You're a spring chicken Sarah LOL

D