Notices

Class Of May 2011 Part 2

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Amazing post CarolD. It's what I needed to hear. Not that labels necessarily matter but I've always considered myself more of an "addict" vs "alcoholic" since despite being a heavy drinker, alcohol was probably fifth or sixth on my DOC hierarchy. But a lot of those descriptions in that thread fit me well. So I guess I can comfortably add "alcoholic" to my resume. Awesome.

On another note, TT and Pumpkin, thanks for coming back. We won't judge if you have a slip up. We're just here for support. Hang in there.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TT, Pumpkin, hate to hear that you've hit a hurdle, but pleased that you're still with us & moreover, being honest with yourselves & the group.

Beendown,
My $0.02, Under the Influence would cover the bases for most addictions, it covers dual dependency, substitutions, drugs & the alcoholic. As it speaks mostly of the physiology of addiction rather than psychology, I honestly don't see why one couldn't substitute (insert drug of choice) for alcohol & it still make total sense.

Steps off soapbox...

Good night all!

Oh, and today makes 3 weeks for me!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Thanks for all the support and understanding. Today was a fine day even though rainy most of the day. Stayed indoors and worked on various projects. The emotional logistical hurdles of the past week are ongoing but seem less puzzling, and less taxing suddenly. I'm hanging in with my May buddies, and keeping on with sobriety. I'm calling this Day 34 minus 1.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey all, good to be here in part 2...
Concor congrats on 3 weeks!
Pumpkin and TT stick with us....
I've had a good weekend, trying to create some new healthy habits- went swimming, took myself out for coffee with the Sunday paper after AA. Even contemplated going for a run which would be a first haha.. Maybe tomorrow
My hope is that putting the emphasis on my health will also keep me away from the occasional cigarette I've been having...a yucky way to distract myself from the drink
So far it's working , and posting on SR is another effective way to postpone a craving!
I feel as though the emptiness is lifting a little finally, last month I was also going through a lot of disappointment/resentment at a short but failed relationship... Now when those feelings surface I try to practice a bit of mindfulness... Let it arise but let it pass and don't wallow in it, deliberately place my thoughts elsewhere.
Unfortunately regrets can haunt you and it's hard to let go of events that can't be changed.. That's my irritation but I have to accept it!
Enough from me...well done to other mayers and I hope a few more return to the fold!
The positive thing
Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Totally confused by what happened to the May gang but found you all! Pheewwww!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi all. Gosh it seems to be quieting down alot in our thread. Ill be joining the class of June but want to carry on my contact in here.

Im feeling suitably ill today - I cannot fathom how I let this happen over and over again. This time I didnt even try and put up much of a fight - its so easy to forget what the hell is like.

Well I have no more holidays planned and from now on will avoid any situations I dont have to go to that I would normally associate with drink.

Ill be back to my regular AA meetings and seriously starting work on the steps.

Fortunately I have some valium which is helping me get through today - I will probably still feel rotten tomorrow. Urgh. I have had a few tasters of sobriety lasting over a week or two now and I liked it alot and im looking forward to getting back to that feeling again.

Im not beating myself up too much I just need to move forward - at the moment I can barely function and just getting through the next day or two is going to be tough. I hope I am able to work tomorrow - taking a sickie after a week off isnt going to go down well.

Im trying to drink lots of water and have eaten a little bit but just feel so very very urgh.

I have got the book under the influence and may have a go at starting it tonight - not sure my concentration levels are up to it but if not I will definately read it soon.

Hope everyone else is having a better day. If anyone is craving a drink it is really really really not worth it!

PS x
Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm quiet because i didn't know where this thread went....
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

FYI.....when a thread in Newcomers reaches 500 posts....it's time to do another part here in Daily Support....end of mystery....

Please do stay connected here...and it's ok to use other threads and Forums if you wish.
All my best as you move forward.....
Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Guys!

So I accidently posted under Class of March 2011 the other day : )

I'm glad I found you guys. I hope everyone keeps coming back, whenever day 1 is.

Toodles
Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Howdy! Can I join?
I've been Lurking here and there. Read all of May Part 1 and now this part.
Thx for posting this Link, Dee. I was Lost!
I have learned a lot reading all of your posts. Very interesting & insightful.

Carol Thx for posting that link of the Excerpts from 'Under the Influence'. Read the excerpts yesterday. Yes, an eye opener indeed!

I joined SR sometime last year. It helped me lots. So, I'm back for some more Food for thought. It helps me to read here and get more motivated to keep myself accountable. I have fallen off the wagon over and over since last year. On the wagon rt. now. Hoping it lasts longer this time.

Are most of You moving on to the June Thread? If so, I'll see you over there.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread HR

The idea with the monthly threads is to stick with, and get support from, folks with roughly the same amount of sober time as yourself

D
Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thx, Dee.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Glad you found us again, 1Undone! Thanks for the vote of confidence, Newstart. We lost some momentum going into Part 2. I sure hope we find it again. Sorry for my relapse, but I want to be honest. Today was another good day. Day 35-1. Many visits to friends in the hospital who have some really serious intestinal things going on...all of which makes me mindful of my own poor organs and what I've been putting them through all those years. Its a wonder they're not pickled. Do you think they all renew themselves after a while? I sure hope so!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Hi Pumpkin, Hang in there! You can do it. Glad to see the rest of you over on this page too. I thought we only had one page going...low and behold! Here you are!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hello.
I know money is tight. I tend to be frugal anyway(maybe thats why vodka was my drink of choice). If anyone doesnt mind buying a used book, I have found some used copies of "under the influence" for $3.49 (shipping included!) at Betterworldbooks.com
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

TT glad you had a good day...and keep on going! I'm also hoping the body can rejuvenate itself after years of abuse...Staying optimistic! Eating and resting well helps. Pumpkin sorry to hear you've been ill.. Hang in there ok, it will get better
Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oh and welcome Hready!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome HR and welcome back PS.

Well everybody I'm pleased to announce that today is my Day 30. And so ends a 15-year streak of never being able to make it to 30 days. And if you exclude the one exception in 1996 when I made it just over 30 days, this is my longest streak since I was 12 years old. Needless to say I'm quite proud of this milestone.

The only catch is that I woke up with a vicious sinus infection. Cruel irony!

Thanks everyone for your support. You're a big part of my support network and I applaud you.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone! I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Welcome HReady! I hope this is your time to quit.

Beendown, you should be proud of your milestone. That is a big deal! The only positive of sinus infections for me is that I have zero cravings for alcohol.

Not too much to report from here. I'm around 3 weeks and feeling good other then a minor cold which seems to be hanging on.

Have a great week my May friends.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congratulations Beendown on 30 days!