Notices

Class of December 2010 pt 7

Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

No need to apologize VC. We're all a bunch of drunks here.

That anticipation of drinking is a real build up huh?

Gets your brain and endorphins all excited and worked up as the 'moment' nears.

But when you finally do act and have that drink....it's one great big let down.
Like R&A says...you flew into the window?...be like that bird and get up and fly away.

Welcome back!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hooped, you're so right! We are all a bunch of drunks here, VC...and we get it, and we think you're fighting hard. Alcohol is a serious mother ******...cunning, baffling, seductive. I really admire you for telling us, and I'm glad you are back. Welcome home!

So last night I saw "Everything Must Go" with Will Ferrell. Gad, it was depressing. Pabst blue ribbon has never looked so disgusting.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Good morning! I know I need to take it a day at a time but WOOHOO tomorrow's Friday! Haha. I've never had a 3 day weekend before since working full time and I might be just a little excited.

VC how ya doing today?

Hope you all have a good sober day!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey, Hooped, I'm liking SoA so far. Only a few episodes in and the bikers already killed a clown! (You know how I feel about clowns...)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

hahaha.. right on R&A!
'Sons' just gets better and better,,,,it's addictive.
I've watched all 3 seasons twice.
Great music too huh?
And how about Gemma? Shes something else. No more Peggy Bundy, lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

You know, I didn't even realize it was Peg Bundy until the second episode—she looks pretty much the same as she did 20 years ago, but the character is so different it totally threw me off. Same thing happened when I first saw Michael C. Hall in "Dexter"—just couldn't make the connection to the sweet gay guy he played on "Six Feet Under."
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just checking in from Cicada Central. No storms, wind, rain or hail seems to drive them away. They continue to buzz and fly around like crazy. I am getting a little teensy weensy bit - okay I am bleeping SICK - of them!!!

Ahem.

My evening plans entail taking new friend to our women's meeting tonight. She is legally blind and young, in her twenties. Basically, one day she noticed her normal vision was getting blurry and, boom, less than a year after that she went blind. Became a raging alkie. Drank hard for a couple years. Finally joined AA and has 18 months sober now and a purpose in life. Just got accepted to law school.

If that doesn't make you feel grateful I don't know what will. Anyway I have committed to taking her to meetings on Thursdays. She is going to start law school in the fall and dedicate herself to disability law. Talk about making lemonade when life hands you a lemon!

Bye for now. Hope everyone stays strong this evening, whatever it takes.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Wow, Soph, that's so fantastic! Someone should make a TV series about your friend!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey guys just hoppin on here on my lunch.
3rd day in a row the cravings are hitting. Esp today I find myself obsessing about drinking. Ugh, days like this arnt my favorite, I feel like I need to lock myself in my room to ensure I don't drink.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a great thing what you're doing Soph

Did you decide against other support besides SR, BF?

D
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Soph, you are so wonderful. My AA group is very inspiring, but I don't really have any pals there. Maybe I should try some others, too...
Old 05-26-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Guys I am just doing what any of you would do, you know that.

BF, I totally hear you with the cravings. I have had some ups and downs these past days which have made me itch for a glass of wine like mad. But I am just taking that feeling and applying it to some other comfort like ice cream or running on the treadmill or even crackers and hummus. Even a big glass of apple juice. Just anything but wine. And...the craving does pass...it passes and then in the morning I am like, "Phew!"

With time the cravings get less frequent, I am truly counting on that. I don't like them either!!

Hang in there buddies!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi everybody.

Wifi makes it to the Northwoods! I'm up here in the Wisconsin/Michigan border area. Beautiful country. Saw a Bald Eagle today, caught two smallmouth bass one of which was a whopper, just had some amazing pizza in the little tavern, but most importantly, stayed on course despite numerous opportunities to have a shot or a beer or both.

Nobody is pressuring mind you, it's just what you do up here. So that initial "I'll have a coke" kinda seems weird to everyone. Going back to VC's post from the other day and what I have read in here since, yes it is so so easy to see a false romantic side to all of this. Everybody looks like their having sooo much fun. I thought that too tonight but then I just remember last year's trip, feeling hungover almost every day....and the awful drive back to Duluth to the airport. I was a wreck, physically and mentally. The kind of hangover that makes one feel like there is a gaping hole where life used to be.

So I'm back at the cabin, having some popcorn, checking in, and looking forward to tomorrow morning. Trying to stop checking my work blackberry.

Hope you are all well tonight. I may have some fun pics to post soon so stay tuned!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

MG that sounds awesome! And you are being a real trooper good for you! You'll be glad in the morning when you're up to go fishin with a clear head instead of a rotten hangover. Bravo man. I'm goin fishin too in a month.

Soph, that is amazing about your new friend. Wow, good for her. And two thumbs up for you too!

BF hang in buddy. I get those cravings too. For me they seem pretty intense for a brief period but as long as I don't act on them it's all good, and they fade away.

MJ I havent made any real buddies yet at AA either.. although I have now gotten to know several people. Been going twice a week. Some real characters and some real gems there too. It does help. If I hear just one little snippet of anything there to keep me sober I'm happy..and I always do.

VC & GFCO, how's it going?
R&A.. have you dug out your old leather jacket out of the closet yet brother? LOL

Another day down without pouring that poison down my throat here! The jiggly parts don't seem quite as jiggly either.

Take care folks!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Soph, face it, you are terrific!

MGF, way to go! Now remember Blackberries can be addictive too. If you can moderate the email, fine... but if not we'll be here for you. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

BF, sorry it's hard right now. Soph's right, you know, it gets much better with time. Meanwhile, that's good advice about keeping a full stomach and getting some exercise. I'd also suggest making a list of stuff to keep you busy all through the long weekend; errands, dog walks, going to see a movie, eating out, window shopping, going for a long drive, calling an old friend... whatever you can think to do. I know when I've felt the cravings come on, it seems like worst thing I can do is to just sit and be alone with them. Keeping myself busy means keeping myself focused on something—anything—other than drinking. And it couldn't hurt to try some face-to-face support. Seems like Soph has made cool new friends in her women's meetings, and MJ and Hooped have really benefitted too. You've got nothing to lose but an hour of your time...

OK, getting off the soapbox now, BF. I just don't want to see you go through another morning of regret. Every day we put between ourselves and our last drink makes life a little bit easier.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hooped, I beat the crap out of a mime today. That show has changed my life!

(Just kidding. No mimes were harmed in the making of this post.)
Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

MGF - sounds awesome where you are
I spent part of the day walking down by the beach so I'm pretty happy with my day too.

Didn't see any clowns or mimes tho....LOL

Have a great weekend all

D
Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Mg, I am so proud of you...you are really doing this right, remembering the end result, not the fake fun part. It's inspiring.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

MGF...what a great post...you are so solid!! The image of you ordering soda, in the woods tavern, surrounded by the "manliest" menfolks swilling brews and pounding shots...that is just immense.

Maryjan is right...you are really doing this right.

GFCO, Nota, VC, whassup?

R+A, thanks for the support...it is one day at a time here in Soph land. You are an inspiration too! You and Gramps have, what, like 5 months now?!!

BF, do you have good shows lined up on Netflix for the weekend?

Dee, walking on the beach is such a great therapy. Lucky you!

MJ, maybe a different meeting would be a good way to meet more women in recovery. I still need to shake things up and find more meetings. They all have their own vibes.

Hooped, you continue to inspire!! How's the rasta kitty, shaved yet? At least she doesn't have to wear the cone of humiliation...those things are so sad!! I would post a sad cone picture but we all know my picture post abilities are lame. Maybe VC can find something funny....hint hint!!

Bye for now...to work!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

PS I am going to see the Will Ferrell alcoholic movie this weekend. Looking forward to it.