Notices

Codependency and beyond - Part 19

Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

(((Kevin))) glad you are finding online help. Are you still going to the meetings? I've managed with mainly online help, but some people need more.

Anger is one of those feelings I was always afraid of. Any confrontation, I ran. It's taken me time to "work through it". Heck, when I first started recovery and was told to "feel your feelings" I didn't know how. I had run from them or numbed them out for decades. It took a while to even recognize the feelings, and then I could say "okay, I'm angry" and work through it.

Did I have a part in the situation? Is there anything I can do to change the situation? Once I've gotten through those questions, I just recognize that I'm angry, pray to let it go and talk it out with friends here. Same thing goes with the rest of the feelings.

I also get a lot from reading how others have worked through THEIR feelings. It would be easier if I could read a book, a post or thread here, and just "get it" but all that helps me do is find my OWN way of working through stuff. I've tried some things that didn't work...it's part of the learning curve. Many a time, I've said "okay THAT didn't work, let's try something else".

I did study a bit, then went to sleep. Going to be getting ready for work, soon, am supposed to get off at 10, so will study a bit more when I get home.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-20-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well right now im stuck financially. I have been considering the AA BB Amy, i do hope i can pick one up cheaply [tenner or less gbp]. I remain unconvinced about the status of my previous drinking and i don't feel 'a part' of any face to face fellowships.

Perhaps this will take time, I have been to 2 AA face to face. One was an afternoon one and one was in the evening. I have social anorexia which is made worse by each time fear enters me or takes hold, so this may fade in time as i try to improve matters with the help of good people, and perhaps maybe even a hp. It is something i am aware of.

I believe in the Buddhist concept of impermanence somewhat though, certainly when it suits me Thusly in knowing about my social concerns i am doing what i can to take corrective action.

Perhaps i am 'too used' to online support. The idea forms have occurred that i could practice 'identify not compare' at my local AA meetings. Both times i went to AA f2f i was in a emotionally vigilant frame of mind though. Best way to be?

I may end up finding out that i am, or at the very least were, ACOA [adult child of addict parent] so thats another angle im looking into . Today i cant really read my codie book because its upsetting me too much. The more i learn about codependency the more frightening my past seems.

But look, here you are helping. Many here have. There is hope, for us all quite possibly, and i have a nice crisp pair of white trainers I also have a rather good shirt to put on when it dries. And look when the wind blows i will not die. I have lodgings and above that i have hope some fellowship also i have and strength too at times, at times lots at times less so

Hope you doing well amy. ((kev))
Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

A few years ago, I casually asked our water district if we could have a hydrant. The thought came to me from nowhere, as there's one up the street. Well, they just showed up one day and installed it. Little did I know then, it's presence would help me win a variance with the county zoning appeals commission this morning (we're under ongoing construction here). One of the board members insisted a fire truck would need to be able to access our back yard (not a zoning requirement), but fire hoses make that a moot point.

Our builders were there, too, as my husband gave them power of attorney to speak on his behalf. But I spoke for myself, and I'm the person who pointed out we have a hydrant. I also informed the board I had spoken with my neighbors, who had been CC'd by the zoning board, and none had any issues with our proposal or else they'd be there. I was originally told I didn't need to be there but a little voice said "you need to go." I'm glad I listened to it

I'm also glad I kept my mouth shut for most of it and let the builders 'build' the case. There were a few times I wanted to ask that one board member if he was senile. Going by the reactions of the other board members, they wonder, too! My builders told me afterward they were very nervous when I spoke, as they know my temperament. I'm even-keeled until faced with stupidity

Thank goodness for recovery, it served me well, today. I let others do their job and respected my limitations
Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great, Chino!

Isn't it wonderful to be able to hear that little voice that unfailingly tells you what you need to do.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Up late thinking. Was chatting a lot to a guy from one of my on line fellowships. I was getting grateful on him i guess since the fella has been helpful.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - way to go!!!

(((Kevin))) - glad you have someone to "talk" to that is helping you.

I had a good night at work...got TWO compliments from Mrs. P. Her dad was telling me how dishes were supposed to be done (every 3 hours) and I told him that I put them in the hot soapy water, and get to them when I'm not taking orders/money, but DT was my priority. He agreed, and did my dishes FOR me?!? When I came in, I told him hi and he cheerily said "hi Amy".

It was a night where I got barked at by dogs, all night. One was BIG, I closed the window as I was afraid he was going to eat my arms off. Also got to "meet" the dog that the little old man comes in and buys a burger for, quite often. His daughter had his and her dogs in the back of the truck, my regular customers with 4 legs and fur THEY didn't bark at me.

Got off at 10, as it had slowed down. I've somehow pulled a muscle in my left front thigh that's rather painful...think I'm just falling apart.

Dad cleared out my storage shed and put everything in his. I told him I was sorry he had to do it by himself. It will save $964/year, so that's pretty cool.

It was a good night, and I really like that I'm being appreciated by the higher ups. Slowly building up that self esteem.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-21-2011, 12:33 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
mergirl

Saturday, May 21, 2011
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Getting Needs Met

I want to change careers . . . I need a friend . . .I'm ready to be in a relationship . . .

Regularly, we become aware of new needs. We may need to change our behavior with our children. We may need a new couch, love and nurturing, a dollar, or help.

Do not be afraid to recognize a want or need. The birth of a want or need, the temporary frustration from acknowledging a need before it's met, is the start of the cycle of receiving what we want. We follow this by letting go, then receiving that which we want and need. Identifying our needs is preparation for good things to come.

Acknowledging our needs means we are being prepared and drawn to that which will meet them. We can have faith to stand in that place in between.

Today, I will let go of my belief that my needs never get met. I will acknowledge my wants and needs, and then turn them over to my Higher Power. My Higher Power cares, sometimes about the silliest little things, if I do. My wants and needs are not an accident. God created me and all my desires.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
mergirl

my sponsor like to talk about our "higher selves" and our "lower selves" and variations on that theme. When I fall into old behavior, or let a defect run rampant, it is my lower self operating. Jealousy, Pouting, Pride, all of these will bring out my less than stellar attitudes and behaviors.

But acting from Love, in faith, with compassion, all of these are the realm of my higher self.

I haven't been very active here in quite a while, I have been going thru some sort of spiritual rebirth or transformation. It has been a surreal experience, and I spend much time feeling almost high or. . .sedated.

In the midst of all of this, along came a man (well, it is ME talking, there had to be one sooner or later right?).

I have been afraid to even talk about it for fear of lessening the experience? or something like that.

I did so much work on me since "the trainwreck". My step work on my sexually inventory was exhausting, emotional and unbelievably revealing.

And here is the fruit. My HP does care about my needs and wants.

What an amazing life I happened upon.

Anyways, back here on earth, I am going to see the nephew tomorrow (gay pride weekend and we will go fly our rainbow flags, its all about Love people!!)

So if someone could grab Sunday's reading if I don't get a chance, that would rock

Love you all
Old 05-21-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks for the message Lisa

So i got a nice sleep last night gr8.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Regarding todays reading:

Well today i felt the a want emerge for a closer relationship to someone who i think of fondly/highly at the moment. Before reading the reading i decided that there was no sense in me pursuing the enrichment of that [relationship] since the person i wanted to be closer with didn't respect me. It also occurred that i could be 'barking up the wrong tree' so to speak or that this person may 'come round' in their own time.

I have an unmet need to spend time with a younger relative also. Again this is out of my control [directly atleast] so im sort of telling myself this person is not my responsibility [were talking about a child here] and that it is not my fault i cant see him. If anyone is preventing this in my opionion it is my sister since she does not seem interested in a close relationship with me or even maintaining it really outside of birthdays and christmas.

So i cant change that. So i accepted my wants/needs as valid. I did not say 'they will never be met' merely that they may be in time directly with those persons or similar wants and needs may find a home elsewhere.

I have more to share but i will stop for now keep on rolling SR codies!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Just struggling right now with some remarks made by Prince Philip the Duke of Edingburgh way back in 1999. Some chauvinistic remark about "that looks like it was put in by an Indian" stick in mind for some reason rather uncomfortably, esp since i have been appreciating some indian philosophical thought pretty much for the last 7/8 months.

I guess we all make mistakes. Loving this thread rock on SR codies thanks for the grats chino and Amy.

On a more positive note i have ordered the AA BB and also a book on ACOA.

A comedy Cd arrived today also entitled 'songs of joy' cracking
Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Amy, you were on my mind yesterday when I stopped in at a local gift shop. They had a card rack and when I started reading them, it seemed every one of them was meant for you. They were all uplifting, all about a journey, and full of encouragement. I'm glad your self esteem is blossoming

Lisa, that surreal transformation is mind blowing to both me and my daughter. For me, it comes in waves then I just kind of float waiting for the next one. I've been through this before at different stages in my life, so I know to savor every moment.

My daughter says it makes her feel a different high like she's never had. She's also been experiencing the sedative effect of release (crying), though I know that may not be what you're talking about. She says it's better and more effective than a benzo. Self fulfillment and self soothing are amazing things

Kevin, keep on! I know I said that before, but it's really all I can say. It's a journey of self discovery and you're doing good

Identifying our needs is preparation for good things to come.
I posted a while back that I need to dance and my husband wouldn't dance with me. Well, that's when I started dancing with myself, then we finally danced together again at that party a few weeks ago.

I kept wondering why the need is so great and that party is when I realized it's the endorphins I crave! I am limited in the different ways to produce endorphins, because I need a knee replacement. But I'm able to get them with dancing (mostly hips and feet) and bike riding (no impact).

So I've been riding my bike more often, and contacted one of my son's friends who is a dance instructor! He isn't local any more, but he's provided me with names of people he personally knows who own their own studios, and will give private lessons. I wanted to make sure I have a partner because I'm not counting on my husband joining me. And I'm OK with that

Now it's up to me to just do it, there is no try
Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Watched a modern tv program this evening gr8.

In other news i am still self-educating on issues of personal history.

So much of what i discover [or what i can imagine 'rings true'] is not nice. Sadly. But truth is to be aimed for i guess? Im not making stuff up i have books on family dynamics.

I am of the mind however that to seek confirmation from others involved at present would be a non smart idea. I still consider those involved dangerous, unfortunately. So i will need to find ways to work it through as i am doing with this posting here.

Im glad i don't have kids. Imagine what a mess i could have made with my problem drinking and codependent personality. I hope you are all well. Working through my history i find feelings and thoughts triggered. X connects to Y connects to Z etc. Dearie me!

So im pleased to have a good book of saints, not really used it since purchasing it but its a nice spiritual tool. Its impressive that i can post here so for that i am grateful. Your encouragement chino is welcome thankyou. I will keep on keeping on. What else can i do? I get there , slowly, if a little publically

I now have 'yoda' on the wall. Rock on. Thinking of you Amy, Chino, Mrspinkacres and Lisa
Old 05-21-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
I posted a while back that I need to dance and my husband wouldn't dance with me. Well, that's when I started dancing with myself, then we finally danced together again at that party a few weeks ago.

I kept wondering why the need is so great and that party is when I realized it's the endorphins I crave! I am limited in the different ways to produce endorphins, because I need a knee replacement. But I'm able to get them with dancing (mostly hips and feet) and bike riding (no impact).
I remember when you posted about the dancing because I felt so much the same thing. It's great that you recognize the need is so strong because of the endorphins produced. And, good for you for looking into dancing lessons, even if it means going by yourself. I thought about your comments a lot after your original post. Not dancing was one of the things I accepted in my relationship and I just put it aside, at least I thought I had. But, the desire is still there and thinking about it, I realize it goes back to my roots. I was a dancer from age 4 to about 21 or so. I danced competitively and was really good. I hated the competitive aspect fiercely, but loved the dancing. Maybe it's time for me to check out dancing classes here.

Amy, as always I'm so impressed with your ability to get things done and move forward with your life. I hope your aches and pains from the fall are clearing up.

Kevin, you're right, we all do make mistakes. And, I think the point is to recognize the mistakes and to learn and grow. It's good watching you in your recovery.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh Anna! You're a dancer! I don't know how you've held back! I hope you dance again very soon, too
Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm not a dancer, but I think that comes from XABF#1, who was a really good dancer and told me I couldn't dance worth a darn I looked into the Zumbra thing...it's exercise AND dancing and really looks fun, but the funds are not there to try.

I am achier today than I have been. Can't lift my left leg without severe pain, and stepmom said it may be my hip? God, I hope not and it's just muscular. Back and neck aches, but then I've been doing stores (which involves getting up and down off the floor) and standing in the DT window.

Work was fine. At one point, Mrs. P came back and said "we're wrapped to the road". I told her that when we changed cash drawers, a woman came to the window and orderd $37 of food, and she said "oh, okay" and walked off. I stayed late, as D was going to be short staffed if I didn't.

Already took my sleep meds, no studying. Want to get up to go to church, then study the other chapter and take the quiz. We have no schedule, as of yet, so have no idea when I go back to work, but looks like I may have 3-4 days off, so can get a lot of stores done.

Several people have complimented me on my hair, said "thank God you are working back here" and one lady told me that no matter how busy it is, I always have a pleasant personality.

Brought dad and stepmom home 2 peach pies each, and stepmom is in hog heavean. She said she'd pay me back, and I'm going to hold her back (it's a whole $3.18, but still)

Mrs. P was there for several hours, was even cleaning the dining room? She asked me why we were so backed up, told her why, and she said "oh, okay" and walked off. I can tell she has total confidence in me, and that feels good.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Amy, I just looked up Zumbra and thank you for mentioning it! There are several places close to me and it does look like fun! I hope you feel better soon and that your hip is just muscle strain. I've noticed it takes me about 3 times longer to recover from injuries these days.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thinking about some relatives today, i am having a feeling that they may have some sympathy towards me.

Last night was a family gathering. I didn't go and i know that to be the right thing for me. Interesting reading your postings Amy Anne and Chino.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - mom and I used to spend a LOT of time in card shops We went with another friend of mine, were telling each other "come read THIS one", laughing, saying "awww, that makes me think of ---" and were surprised we didn't get kicked out! Thank you for thinking of me. They have merchandisers for American Greetings, but I know me...I'd be reading the cards instead of doing my job, so haven't even pursued it.

I saw an infomercial on the Zumbra and may still by the video or take a class at some point.

I'm still achy, was so tired when I got home, I was asleep within an hour and forgot to set my alarm for church Going to cruise through SR then get busy on the other chapter I have a quiz on.

(((Kevin))) - glad you are doing things that are best for you!!

Love to all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi grats to chino, amy, anne. Lisa is on her holidays or something i think. Away.

My recovery book tells me 'we can be just who we are'. Well i feel unaccepted by many people. Could it be they are simply the 'wrong sort'? I think this is the most logical and constructive explanation for this.

I do crave a sense of 'belonging', where i will get it i don't know.