Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 2

Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sorry ... it took me a while to find the new thread! (I'm slow like that ) I'm going to respond in bits as I read, okay?

Bevin, I write music, too! As Rachel asked, what kind do you write?

Laura, I do the same thing. In fact, last night I had a "moment" ... I was at one of my kids' schools, and I came face to face with an old friend whose friendship had ended awkwardly years ago. The first thing my mind went to was how much I wanted a drink, I'm quite certain to numb the feelings. (I did a LOT of that in the past decade) I tried to talk my hubby into it by rationalizing that so many on here have lapses, too, and I'm tired of always trying to be so perfect. He didn't buy it, although in all honesty there is some validity to the thought process as it stands. I'm glad he's strong. I made it through the night and am now on day 19.

Lofty, that's a good question. How do you feel the Spirit is leading you? What do you read in Scripture about it?

Welcome, Anchors!

Rachel, I have a very, very old and amazingly CUTE Pekenese.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome NVGal

D
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Lookingforward, I concur! This site has been a huge help for me these past few days since I discovered it. I plan on hanging around for a long, long time.

Rachel, LOVE that song!

Welcome, Roman! Thank goodness on the "cancer free" report! Does going through that add to your motivation to live fully and completely present (not buzzed and hazy) now? How is the diabetes going? Are you able to manage it well?

Welcome to all I've missed today!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Has anyone else's eyesight improved? I can not tell, but I feel like I can see better..
Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

@peanutbuttercup,

I don't medically have the diabetes at this time. It's gone down below the level. I watch what I eat, exercise (some) and I "had" been watching the beer intake. Beer = SUGAR.

I do have high blood pressure and take meds for that. I forgot to mention that. Alcohol elevates the blood pressure. The last time I was at the doctor it was elavated but not too bad.

As far as the Cancer. I feel blessed that I was able to catch it in time. Cancer is a bad disease. It doesn't care who you are. It does feel good to be a survivor though. I do strive to enjoy everything I can while I'm able to walk this planet. That's one reason I drank was because I enjoyed it. I just took it too far on too many occasions.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hmmm ... a GTK. Let's see, I have 3 daughters (elementary through college) and the perfect husband for me, who I absolutely and openly adore. I work in the weight loss industry and am very much in the public eye, which is why I'm seeking help here (anonymously) instead of in a local group setting. I seem to get recognized almost everywhere I go around here. I play keyboard and sing with my worship team, love to read, play euchre with friends, and would be happy being social from the moment I wake until I go to sleep every single day.

Thanks for all you all do ... I'm having a great time getting to know you all a bit as we all go through this healing process together.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
On my way....

Good for you Germanos, getting healthier in multiple ways. I'm loving working out without being high! Yes, I would actually get off work (same town as the gym) at 7 or so, drive home (20 minutes), smoke, then drive back to the gym (wasting about 45 minutes and gas driving). I was too paranoid to just carry it with me, craziness I tell you. My reasoning? I work out better when I'm high, because I can really "get in to the music". Well, let me tell you, the last two days I've worked out without it....and I'm actually faster on the elliptical glider now and I don't stop my weight training early because I feel lazy, I guess commonsense would tell you that, but, well you know how that goes.

.....and yes, I have noticed the eyesight improving, also my eyes aren't as dry as they usually get. I read somewhere that your eyesight does improve after quitting alcohol, I think I read it somewhere on this site, in fact.

Mirage, I love the name Roxie! What grade(s) did you teach? Do you think you might ever return to it? I hope that two weeks fly by so that boot will be off! I'm sitting here trying to think of things you can do without your legs! Like arm workouts or something? lol I'm not sure, I guess I will just wish again that the two weeks fly by for you!

becoming, 30 is a great age! I've always wanted to visit NY, I know this sounds really touristy....but do you ever get to go to the city? Is it like it seems in the movies? lol My sister-in-law recently went and that was my first question....it seems so "live" on t.v. and in the movies. I'm fascinated how it really never seems to sleep! What kind of dog do you have?

Welcome NVgal!!!

PBC, first of all, your eyes are GORGEOUS!!!! (assuming they are yours in the avi! lol) What kind of music do you write? Pekingese pups are so cute!! Has anyone else noticed how many of us have dogs?? Also, do you mean the song in my signature line? Me too, it's my sobriety anthem! In fact, I put together a whole list of songs on YouTube today that have to do with sobriety/recovery. Absolutely love music. (Can't write or read it though! )
Since you work for the weight loss industry, care to share some tips!? LOL I'm hoping the lack of beer, the late night food binges when drinking, and the munchies when smoking I will lose some weight and tone up!

Everyone here is so talented and interesting! Think of all the possibilities our lives hold for us......it's limitless. Today life is good!

p.s. I wanted to say after DH and I got over our little tiff, I was out helping him cook dinner and talking about how I had such a great day. My day was so different than when I quit two weeks ago, for some reason the entire time I was miserable. I do know that two nights ago, after I flushed my weed away and was getting ready to go to bed, I hit my knees and prayed hard to God to help me through this, to give me strength and the desire to quit and stay quit. I was telling all this to DH and started to cry because I was so happy!

He gave me a big hug and we proceeded to sit down for dinner and he started to say grace.....as he was saying it he thanked God for the food and the usual,
and then he thanked God about my sobriety and thanked Him for giving me strength...as he was doing that, he broke down in tears (it makes me tear up now thinking about it), it's almost as if he sees a difference....or maybe he did think I have a problem I don't know. I just know I hardly ever see him emotional, and for that to happen it touched me in so many ways. He's a special guy.

Sorry again for the novel guys.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

That's great and Don't apologize. I am disappointed when I sign on and there is nothing new to read, so thanks!

I am collecting good quotes and facts from these books I checked out (see 1st thread) and I plan to write a paper or maybe a story over the summer. I use to write a lot and am curious if I still have it. I was telling my friend over Skype that maybe a fictional story based on a realistic portrayal of alcoholism would be interesting to create. Haven't thought too much about it yet, just trying to learn about alcohol and addiction for my own benefit right now.

and Welcome NVGal!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Rachel, just grabbing a tissue reading your post....

I feel like I am posting novels in evening as everyone else has gone to bed or work in their upside down world.

My song contribution...this ain't a love song, this is goodbye. (I have screamed this at many a wine bottle!)

I have an Italian greyhound (like a chihuahua on stilts who has had too many coffees) and a whippet (next size up and gives me such a look when he sees me pull a bottle of wine out of my bag and realises no more walks that day). When I have a minute I'll put them in avatar instead of the random dog who is there now
Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

lol TOI, my picture is just some random guy too. Not really, but alright I need to get off of here for the night so I can get my stuff done.. keep getting distracted! Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
On my way....

That would be really awesome Germanos (did I tell you everytime I go to type your name I want to type Geronimo!? lol), I would be interested in reading a fictional story about someone suffering from active alcoholism. I saw the list of books, I will have to look them up on Amazon.

(I actually just went back and looked....I'm overlooking it somewhere, can't find it! Can you post them again or point me to them, I love reading so I would be really interested in ordering one or more of them.)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
On my way....

TOI, you have some big, lean dogs! I bet they are full of energy, I've only seen both types on the Animal Planet channel. Can't wait to see yours!

Hey, I'm here pretty late most nights so if someone is posting I usually will answer back.....something about having the last word! LOL j/k
Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Whoa people post so much on here, it's hard to keep caught up!

Welcome Roman, SoberJoseph, Eddie, and NVgal (are you truly from Nevada? Las Vegas?)

I also have a chihuahua but he is very meek and lazy, we got him from the shelter and we believe he was abused by his last owner. His name is Squiggy as in Lenny and Squiggy, you know from Laverne and Shirley? What was Shirley's boyfriend's name again?

Well finishing up day 5, I'm still having a hard time at work, it would be nice to just w/d by laying around all day watching TV and surfing the net

Love ya all,

Stacy
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Germanos
I can relate to your post. I went out after work with my buddies to Chevys which is a bar/restaurant (not sure if all over the US). Usually have a few, but tonight I had a virgin margarita and a few nachos. Usually have a few drinks and too much food. Even turned down offer to drink someone's wine they didn't want after-all and try a sip of the cactus margarita. I didn't want it at all. Still had lots of fun without alcohol!

Dee That's what I thought too. I'm a normal person, I could drink in moderation, but from my experience and generous people sharing their attempts at moderation on SR (including you), I know that this can never be. I'm at peace with that.

Hi Rachel
Your posts are so organized!!! As you can see, I'm trying to be organized today too! I have a Siberian Husky who is a complete spaz, but so much fun! I love all animals, but especially ones that are warm with fur.

Bevin
My raccoon butt is on the bus plus some fruits, berries, sticks, pebbles and a couple of toys. Also, out of consideration to everyone, I have a flea collar on!

Laura
I still remember day 5 and having some cravings creep in. But they come less often over time and less strong. Haven't felt that in a few days now (going on 2 wks). They get to be less and less over time.

Welcome Anchor
It really helped me to read other people's posts about attempting moderation. I have failed with that over and over. Now I know that I can't moderate. For me, it's all or nothing about many things.

Stacey
You're doing GREAT!! Keep up the good work. You will feel stronger and stronger each day.

Lofty
Glad to have you aboard the March Bus! We are in for quite an interesting and meaningful ride.

Off topic: I had mid hypertension every time my BP was checked last year. Tomorrow is 2 weeks. I checked my BP today and it is NORMAL! I really didn't know all the ramifications alcohol had on the body. There's a strong family hx of strokes, so I was a bit worried, but relieved now. Some of the damage we do to ourselves will be healed with time and nature...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

My eyesight has definitely improved. I no longer see two of everything

Hanging in there tonight. This hasn't been nearly as bad as yesterday evening, and I hope that means that the worst of this is behind me. I still have resolve, still holding to the recognition that this is serious, that I need to do this. Really glad to see so many people coming here and sharing their stories tonight. One of these days I'll have something exciting to say but for now I think I'm comfortable being a listener.

Good work everyone.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

OMG! I tried to edit my first post to say hi to everyone that showed up while I was writing and posting. So if you take longer than 15 minutes, you can't post and I lost all my editing. Anyways, Hi Everyone!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey guys - just checking in briefly to let you know I'm still on the bus...man am I TIRED tonight. Too much work and no play makes me feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

@anchors - Oh yeah - when I turned 19 (legal drinking age up here in Canadaland) it was big trouble. I also smoked quite a lot of pot at the time and I turned into a total wreck for a couple years. Then I went travelling and pot wasn't readily available so I pretty much stopped that, and I couldn't afford to drink anymore so I stopped that too. It wasn't easy, but I wanted to travel more than I wanted to get wasted. It was one of the best times in my life, but I hadn't thought much about whether quitting that stuff had anything to do with it. I kind of wish I had thought about it a bit more...

@rachel & @peanutbutter - I write songs that could be loosely classified as alternative pop I suppose. How about you, PBC?

@lookinforward - I really dig your avatar too. I was staring at it the other night and I said to myself - Holy crap. Gilligan looks younger than me! Sure enough, he was only 30 or something at the time. It freaked me out!

@romansparks - Wow - glad to hear you're doing all right. Kind of miraculous what the body can recover from.

@TOI - I wish I had an obese cat...they're the best kind.

@limbo75 - The 'reward drinking' was (and still is sometimes) one of the hardest things for me. I discovered that I rewarded myself for all sorts of things...doing the dishes, making a phone call, getting some groceries, breathing in and out...etc. It's difficult to give up that celebratory drink for sure.

@rachel - That's pretty cool about your husband. You're a lucky gal.

@yoli - I appreciate the flea collar!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
On my way....

Stacey, I'm sorry you're having a hard time at work. I'm one of those people who stay home a lot....but I don't like t.v. that much, I do LOVE surfing the web. A few times the last couple of weeks I wished that I were at work, to get my mind off things......but then I came to my senses and remembered I hate my job! LOL j/k I hope things get easier for you. Aww, you have a chihuahua too! I hate to hear that he may have been abused! Some people make me sick, there is a special place in hell reserved for those that hurt animals, children, elderly people, the handicapped, and anyone else who is defenseless. He's lucky he has you now!

Laura, that bit about your eyesight is hilarious! lol It's good that your days are improving, I hope the worst is behind you too! Glad you're here, listening or talking....don't worry, I can do the talking for both of us! LOL

Yoli, you're better than me! I could never have a virgin anything....especially a margarita, they are my weakness! Good for you for being so strong tonight. By the way, some of us Marchers would love if you could repost that brochure about our bus! lol Don't worry if it's a lot of work, we can just go back and look.....I have to say I love it though! That is so awesome about your BP, it is amazing how much drinking can take its toll on us without us even being aware of the damage it's causing. My DH hasn't been drinking since I quit, even though I gave him the go ahead that I felt strong enough, I told him he should get his BP re-checked as it's always been borderline high (he normally drinks 2-3 glasses of wine at night when I would drink), I'm interested to see if there is any change.

Guess I need to get to bed, long day tomorrow. I have to go to my Mom's tomorrow morning to sit with my step-grandmother with Alzheimer's, then go to the gym, then to school to register for classes, then to the vet, then to Riley's puppy kindergarten class! Definitely too busy to be worried about drinking or smoking!

Everyone have a great night/day, stay strong.....one day at a time!

Edit: Wanted to say hey to Bevin (missed your post as I was writing mine at the time), I hope you can get back into writing music, it might be a form of therapy. Thank you for the kind words about my DH, I adore him.....even when he's aggravating/whiny!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Encore presentation by special request:

MARCH BUS 2011

Destination: Awareness, happiness, health, bounty, respect, peace of mind and love for yourself and others.

Cost: This bus is free of charge to anyone who wants to make this important change in their life. However, please bring along your courage, strength, compassion and humanity.

Stops: This is a continuous journey. We won't stop until we reach our destination. However there will be field trips to explore new environments, experiences and to smell the flowers along the way.

This is the biggest bus that ever existed! It's bigger than the biggest cruise ship today.

It's multi-layered to accommodate all your interests.

There's a swimming pool with wave maker and sandy beach with palm trees. So there's swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, surfing, kayaking and parasailing.

There's discos with your favorite music playing. Also concerts with numerous genre of bands.

Theatre for movies and plays.

Ice skating rink.

Forest and jungle environments.

Baseball and football fields.

Hobby centers. You get to keep anything you create. (I plan to learn how to cut diamonds that are over 10 carats).

Teachers and classes to learn about your interests. No tests or papers required.

Endless amounts of restaurants, coffee shops, ice cream, dessert shops so you never get bored.

Tons of activities for those who want to work out.

Accommodations for pets of all kinds (as long as they are not bigger than an elephant).

VERY COOL PEOPLE

This will not be the easiest trip. There will be ups and downs, the drama of life. We will be still accountable for taking care of business. Sometimes the road will be bumpy. Sometimes the motion of the bus will make us feel ill. But this is a special bus, filled with caring people, family and friends. We will take care of each other.

Welcome to the March 2011 Bus!

It is one of the best rides you will ever take in your life.

Last edited by yoli; 03-29-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spweeling...
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
On my way....

LOVE IT!!!!! Thank you Yoli!!

Okay, now I must get to bed.......don't want to, this March crowd is so fun!