Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 2

Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Wowza...what an awesome group that just keeps growing and growing!!!

Anchors and Roman!

I found the thread for Moms and Dads Who Drink and I've spent HOURS reading and re-reading it...so I feel like I've neglected our wonderful Marchers...it's great to be part of such an awesome group and here's my GTKY post:

I'm from California and am a married mom of two teens. The hubby and I have been together for 21 years and he is probably the kindest person I've ever known. Unfortunately, I've really taken advantage of that when it came to some of my more selfish habits (i.e. drinking!). I have a B.A. and Masters (graduated with honors, no less) and I've worked with...get this...addicts for a big part of my 20 year professional life. I've even won awards for excellence in my field...not bragging just pointing out a sad irony

So glad to be on SR...I thank God that I have finally been humbled by addiction and am letting go of all the crap (real and imagined) in my life that I used as an excuse to drink. Someone's signature along the lines of "because alcohol did for me what I couldn't do for myself," describes me to a T...I needed a major ass-whooping and alcoholism definitely did it for me.

Let's March on Marchers!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Hiya everyone. I am still here! My internet was down for a while...been having alotta trouble with it for a few months...they finally came out and rewired house yesterday.

All is well...continue to pray for each of you.

So proud of all of you! :ghug3

Welcome all newbies since I have been offline.

Have y'all met up in chat yet? I am on my way there now to see who's chillin'.

PS...there is a meeting on chat every Fri at 9 est for the forum peeps. I am usually there.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome, Roman Sparks! You have joined a fantastic and lively group. I relate to the garage six pack, or two, or three... I am a do it yourselfer, and work a lot in my basement and garage. I finished my basement over the last couple years, and it was quite a drunkfest. Probably could have finished it in less than a year if sober. I prefer to work alone, so I don't have the excuse that I was getting free labor for beer. It was just me and the beer. In the process, I neglected my business, and I'm paying for it now. I am married to a very forgiving woman for 16 yrs. We have three teens. What gets me is the way they look at me when I'm drunk. My oldest boy even challenges me. Lots of screaming an yelling in the house, but less in the last 20 days I have had a drink. My wife is classic codependent, but not getting help. She's in a bit of denial. We both come from long lines of rampant alcoholism. All four of my grandparents, and her grandfather. I'm 48, and fear what you, Roman, have gone through. I don't think my colonoscopy at 50 will be at all clear. I'm glad you beat the cancer. I lost a high school friend 10 years ago to colon ca. And, I'm glad you are on the right thought track.

This is a fantastic support system, and I believe we have a particularly special group. I am glad to be here.

Bob
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

oops.... should be the last 20 days I have nothad a drink.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

@loftyideals,

Do NOT wait to have your colonoscopy. Especially since you have a history of drinking. They say you're supposed to have one at 50, but that is due to insurance and cost reasons. Everyone should start at least at 45 and even sooner if they drink.

If I had not had those panic attacks and went to the emergency room and got those test I would have only have two more years to live, as they told me after the surgery I had five years left to live if they hadn't detected it. The colonoscopy saved my life and I talked about it alot to people I know to encourage them to get tested. At first I was horrified of the test (the unknown) but it really isn't anything to worry about. You're alseep the whole time. Once done and you get your results you can breath a little easier and concentrate on your other problems.!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Roman
You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

What a group! Such a lovely thing to come here and read the postings :-)

Day 4 now...crap this is hard! My mind keeps playing tricks on me and it feels like a full-time job to keep it straight... At the same time I feel so good at times, and guess what, my first thought then is that I should have a glass of wine to celebrate...cause...that is kind of how I used to celebrate. Then I remember that a glass of wine for me would be 3 bottles and I would feel horrible and be back in the shame and misery which follows...so I manage to think myself straight...

Then at times I direct myself to all the things I could achieve now that I do not spend all my time drinking, doing well in my job, being a good friend, working out, looking good....and guess what, then comes the really sneaky voice! The one who tells me how boooooring that is, getting up early and being productive and all settled and right, what about all the parties and the great and free living and all! This is the one which usually gets me, self-destructiveness has a strange and seductive lure... Except at least so far I have managed to remind me that the party has long since stopped...perhaps it used to be like that back in the day...these days the party is me, alone at home, drinking until I pass out...Sad sad sad and not very cool...

So if you read so far, thanks for listening , ha ha ha, it is only day 4 :-) I wonder where my mind brings me on day 5, greetings from Europe everyone and thanks for being here...
Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is hard...but I found it got better with time...use whatever support you have Limbo
Are you using anything besides SR?

D
Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'd like to join. Had a bad relapse last saturday but back and more determined to sort the problem once and for all
Old 03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

March is a good month to quit. The best part of the year (in the Northern Hemisphere) is ahead and I can feel the good direction everything is headin.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
On my way....

Germanos, that is really awesome and wonderful about your plans after school, what an amazing goal! I wish I could speak two languages, Spanish would really help, we have many Spanish speaking people where I live. You sound like a lot of fun, I love to travel, unfortunately DH does not! (We have too many pets for that now anyway!) Glad to get to know you a little bit better.

Akasha, you sound like me, lotsa little furballs running around the house! I told DH that one day, in the FAR future (when, God forbid, we no longer have some of the others), I want three Goldens, one golden (like Riley), one dark red and one white! I bet yours is a beauty.

Welcome Roman Sparks! I'm right there with you, I enjoy a few beers here and there (everyday), but it's just the first couple, problem is I keep on drinking after that (can't seem to stop myself)....that's where I get in trouble. It's either all or none for me, so I'm choosing none, it seems to carry the most benefits! lol Glad to have you aboard the class of March!

TOI, what kind of "manic" dogs do you have...if your profile picture is your pup, Chihuahuas? Our chi's are very manic (and yappy) as well!

Mida, glad you made your way back over here! I know what you mean about getting into a really good thread for awhile, there are so many here on SR. Nice to get to know you.

Welcome back Gr8tful! We have not met in chat yet.....anyone want to throw out a time or day? I'm free a LOT, so I'm up for almost anytime! Glad to see you back.

Limbo, I know what you mean about feeling so good, it's almost as if you forget you have a problem so your first impulse is to get out the bottle. I was one of those people who wouldn't drink if DH (or anyone else) and I had an argument, not until it was solved, didn't want any negativity affecting my drinking yanno? So feeling this good is almost dangerous! I was always a happy drunk!

I also feel you on how living the life of drinking (and smoking weed, in my case) can be attractive, I work with a lot of people, well most of them use/drink, they are the "cool" ones at work. So I'm feeling like a square, one of those people....you know, the boring ones who just go home and watch tv and go to bed. But, this life is growing on me. Not waking up feeling like crap anymore, already starting to feel my positivity coming back, I don't smell like alcohol or weed anymore, not blacking out, etc. The benefits are endless. I'm sure you will find some of your own very soon! I was also a person who got off work, came home and proceeded to drink until I went to bed/blacked out...and sometimes made it to bed....or the couch. I used to party, but those days are long over, and drinking isn't as fun as it used to be, actually it's gotten downright dangerous/unhealthy.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
On my way....

Welcome back SoberJoseph! And welcome Eddie!! Glad to have y'all here.

P.S. To my classmates of the March group. I'm sure some of y'all have already noticed, but I tend to be a bit, um, well, wordy.....I notice I always have really long posts! I hope that it doesn't annoy people, if it does, shoot me a message and I'll try to scale back some! lol
Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Right on, SoberJoseph and Eddie...glad to have you aboard!

No worries about the post lengths, Rachel! You always have good stuff to share so keep it comin' as far as I'm concerned

Limbo, that mental back and forth has always been dangerous for me as well because I've raised rationalizing to an art form...I'm sure as addicts, we all have. Something that has helped me is the notion of rather than focusing on feelings/intentions, focusing on ACTIONS...that one hit me like a tire iron to the face...I'd always figured that because I meant to do this or that or because I felt I was being the "bigger" person (whatever THAT means) or because my feelings had been hurt/ignored/mocked, I deserved to treat myself to a drink...or ten.

Stay strong, everyone!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

End of day three for me. I've been fortunate that my withdrawal symptoms have not been too bad... just a few shakes and a constant low-grade headache. I'm drinking lots of water and taking short naps after work, which I suppose is helpful. From what I've heard, after day 5 you're pretty much outta the woods physically, so I'm getting close.

Made my 3rd meeting in 3 days and stopped to pick up chemicals to de-flea my house (GRRrrr) and the whole time was semi-struggling with pernicious little urges to drink. Got home and ate some dinner and POOF! the urges disappeared. I gotta be REAL careful not to get hungry!

Hello to Roman, SoberJoseph, Eddie and the rest of y'all. How's your eve goin', LauraS? Evenings are the toughest for me, too.

On the GTKY thing (and thanks, Rachel, for getting the ball rolling on that), I'm 47 divorced with two beautiful college-aged kiddos. I started drinking at 14 but managed to earn an engineering degree and work in industry for 20 years. Really couldn't maintain my marriage, career, and alcohol consumption all at the same time, so unfortunately let the first two get away from me before seriously addressing the third. Work in a hospital social service office now. I love gardening, music (most types, with a particular penchant for blues), and am an avid crocheter and a part-time organic vegetarian chef. My dream-life is to set up food service and yarnwork sales booths at music festivals and in between go home and garden. Seemed like a pipe-dream when I was drinking, but sober... well, it could happen...

Thanks for being here everybody!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
On my way....

Nancy, you sound really talented! Wish I could garden but my thumb is not the least bit green! Your dreams definitely sound achievable, go for it! What kind of music festivals do you like?

I just got back from walking my dog, Riley. I was feeling kind of tense so it was nice to get the fresh air, and I feel a little bit better. This is the hardest time of the evening for me, and me and the DH are fussing a little.....it's better for me not to get mad right now, so I chose to walk away from an argument. Also, good news to share, I went to the school today, and I am registering for classes in the Fall tomorrow. I was nervous they wouldn't let me come back since I withdrew, but all is good (it helped I had a 4.0 last semester), I'm really happy about that!

How was everyone's day? Mine has been pretty good all considering!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Mine was great, just got done working out. Trying to get back in shape. Congrats with school!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Welcome Roman, soberjoe, and eddie!!

Wow..you guys rock! Loving coming here and reading about you and how you all are doing. So a little about me...I'm 43, married 16 yrs, have 2 boys 12 and 9. One dog, a 3 yr old Shih Tzu named Roxie after Roxie Hart in the musical, Chicago. I was a teacher till I had my oldest, and have been home with them ever since. My drinking was done after I tucked everyone in for the night...then I tapped the box o' wine. (Why bother with a cork?) I enjoyed the unwinding part, the feeling of reward, but it just got too much, too often. I could always have a nap after I got the kids on the bus, so it's way easy. Started to feel sad a lot, which actually made me drink again, etc. See, just talking about it makes me jones a little bit. Yuck. So that's it in a nutshell.

Hang in there Limbo..I hear ya. Hope everyone is doing well tonight..thanks for being here.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Rachel - Congrats about school, so happy for you! I love and appreciate your long posts. I feel so out of the loop bc it is hard for me to check/post during the day while i am at work. I relate to what others were saying about having to catch up and then forgetting what you read and who said what lol.

Germanos - What you said about this time feeling different really hit home for me. I honestly want to give up drinking this time. Around this time last year I was having really bad stomach pain and it ended up being pancreatitis. More than likely caused by my drinking. When I was told that ideally I should give up drinking I cried like a baby. Sad but true. It was like I was mourning my best friend. I am light years from that state of mind today.

Great call with the GTKY Rachel here is mine:

I am 29 turning 30 in June. I will need you guys a lot as that event approaches. It will be my first sober birthday in a very long time. I live in NY with my wife (full disclosure: I am gay), our dog and cat. No kids yet, but we hope to start a family in the next few years. My desire to be the best wife and mother possible is one of my main reasons for getting sober. My wife is incredibly supportive and I am so lucky to have her. I also have a really big family that I am very close with. I work in finance and am in school part time for my MBA. I have one year left to go, yay! I love my life and I have a lot to be sober and healthy for.

I love our group and I am thankful for all of you! Welcome newbies to the group = ) great to have you! Stay strong everyone!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Crap! I hate when I post after page 2 and there's a page 3! Gahhh!!

No worries on the long posts, Rachel! I enjoy reading them, too!

I saw that thread, too Mida. Good stuff there!

So jealous of you guys walking and working out right now. Walking around in this boot from he** is gettin on my nerves!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hold the bus!

I guess I better quit lurking and wave this bus down before you leave without me.

I'm in the March class... after flunking the classes of 2005, 2007, 2009... (sigh) you get the picture.

Day 10 for me.

March on brothers and sisters... March on.