Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 2

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

James Cook
1773 --- 1st person to cross Antarctic Circle - did he think he could do it?

Elizabeth Blackwell
1849 --- 1st woman to receive medical degree in US. - did she think she would do it?

Lucy Walker
1871 --- 1st woman to successfully climb the Matterhorn in Switzerland. - did she think she could do it?

Annie Taylor
1901 --- 1st woman to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel. She was aged 64 years at the time. - did she think she could do it?

Charles Lindbergh
1927 --- 1st man to fly solo across the Atlantic - did he think he could do it?

Antonio Abertondo
1961 --- 1st person to swim the English Channel non-stop in both directions - did he think he could do it?

Junko Tabei
1975 --- 1st woman to climb Mt. Everest - did she think she could do it?

Steve Fossett
2002 --- 1st balloonist to fly solo around the world when he landed in Australia on 4th July 2002. - did he think he could do it?

Barack Hussein Obama Jr.
2009 --- 1st African-American US President. - did he think he could do it?

Throughout history people have gone out there and done thing no-one thought possible, probably not even themselves, but as time has shown, we ALL have it in us to be able to do what seems the impossible, what seems to hard, what seems like a never ending road.

We dont have to swim the ocean, climb a mountain, or create history,all we have to do is just one small thing, and that is to resist the urge to put alcohol against our lips, and in doing so we will have begun a jouney far greater than those mentioned above, one that WILL change your lives forever
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Hello all! Day 15, yay! I'm feeling a little behind what with so many of you celebrating or closing in on 30 days! Congrats all!

Speaking of which, Rebelangel, I third the suggestion to celebrate all three potential dates! 7

Becoming, every time I think about the "never" scenario I feel my stomach turn slightly...so I really try not to take the long view at this stage.

Mirage, what a bummer Rango didn't do it for ya...I thought it was a riot while also a "thinking" movie (sacrificing natural resources to build glitzy vacation spots). And I agree that reading everyone's encouraging words, even when directed at others, has provided me immeasurable support

Stacy, those dreams are weird and kinda scary! Our subconscious is wiser than it would seem. And I love ya too!

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
It's time to recognize lofty ideals for what they are, but pursue practical realities for what they need to be in my life. It's time to be honest with myself, and get off the arrogant ego trip, which for me is just a manifestation of denial. It's time to get up, pick up, and take a step forward. It's time to get real. It's time to use my God-given gifts for His glory, and not my self-indulgent satisfaction.
Lofty, this here is gold...you've inspired me and spoken to my personal situation more than I could explain. I, too, am at that crossroads and words like these challenge and motivate me.

Prof, thanks for the reminder that we aren't the first to take on what appears to be at first blush impossible!

Dear Rachel, here's hoping you are doing ok...(((hugs)))

March on Marchers!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  

For mah sistah Totallyoverit and all the rest of us Marchers...

Sobriety can be FUN!

Think of all the FUN we can have with no hangovers and extra money in our pockets!

Have a hearty breakfast without the hangover...

...then go out with a spring in our step...

...body sled goofy style...

...relax (?) in the hottub...

...dance to our hearts content in spite of things...(wait for it...)

...all of this without falling over in a drunken heap!

Ohhh the things we can do sober!!!!!!!!

Love,
Jen!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Genjen,

:rotfxko
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 505 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Morning All. I am staying too dang busy for any urges to catch up with me. I have also distanced myself from my best friend and drinking buddy. We have been friends since the 3rd grade and I do miss him. My wife says we have a bromance. I dont know about all that, but I do miss hanging out with him. On one of my twenty projects I was working on this weekend....He shows up with a beer in hand(32oz) in my back yard. I am thinking oh great!!! Then He pulls out an ice cold rootbeer for me.I could not have been more happy.
Everything seems to be falling into place for me. It is not always easy but the outcome is always good. I am prepared for forever. It doesn't scare me anymore. I hope that each and everyone of you can find a little thing in life that helps you along today and puts a smile on your face. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Rebel- celebrate everyday that you are sober. You are doing an outstanding job. keep on keepin on.
GenJen- I am waiting on what you have in store for us for today.
Stacey- Have you heard from Rachel? I hope that she is ok.
PBC- I love your take on motivation and determination. I am going to use that to motivate myself and my kids.
Rachel- If your out there......We miss you and hope that you are doing well.
Bella- keep up the fight. It IS worth it.
Lofty- Keep moving forward. It is still good after the honeymoon.
Aussie_ keep on Marching
Mirage- I think that the drinking dreams are the last ditch efforts of the "monster" as DFEAZEL describes. Trying to get to us while we are asleep and vulnerable. You are kicking its A**.Whoo Hoo.
Laura- I am happy that you and your husband are getting along. It makes the journey so much more endurable.
TOI-I must admit that I am a Gleek as well.
Kimbie-Great job on 16 and working out. That is my next adventure.
Nancy- I here ya on the not enough awake. I am so tired by the time that I hit the pillows.....Does it seem like 5 minutes and the alarm is going off to you? Maybe that will improve.
Soberjosh- Sober Land is a good place.
Becoming- Don't sweat the 30 birthday thing. Your quit date is bigger and better. Trust me. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt.
professorfudge- I like facts. That was good.
Mida-it is easy to get behind. Heck I started this post and I know that Genjen already posted my laugh of the day.
Bevin- Just saw your post- That doesnt sound weird at all. I like Predictability.
Speaking of that I need to go see it.
Everyone always remember
Day by Day
Dave
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Hi guys - been sitting here thinking about the f-its and what they're all about.

I find it really difficult to truly 'access' my drinking memories in a real and emotional way. It's almost like those things happened to a different person - which they kind of did in a way. Maybe this actually contributes to the f-its...because we have a hard time remembering what it truly felt like to be drunk. I remember waking up a couple months ago and making coffee yadda yadda - doing the usual morning stuff - completely forgetting for while that I had spent a couple hours thinking about killing myself the night before. You'd think I'd remember that, right? Nope. Alcohol is weird that way.

There's also the allure of routine. The pattern of my life was pretty rigid when I was drinking. Get up, work, fight the urge to drink until 5, drink, eat, sleep, repeat. For the most part, it was a predictable routine of emotions too. I knew how alcohol would make me feel, and whether it was good or bad at least I knew what was coming.

This is going to sound weird, but when I first started taking walks to give myself something to do besides drinking in the evening, I listed to the same mp3s and walked the same route at the same time every night. It made me feel better. I just needed that feeling of security that comes with predictability.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the f-its.

Genjen - I could watch that bacon gif all day. It reminds me of that scene in Poltergeist where the steak starts crawling around and then explodes with maggots. Good times. Dogs eating lunch? Also good times.

bella89 - Glad you're being honest about how you're feeling. It's not easy, but we're all in the same boat here. Oops - I mean bus.

Lofty - It sounds like you're on the right track. You can't turn back time, but you're creating the future right now.

LauraS - I suppose it does take time to make friends at those meetings. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who show up a couple times and never come back. If you keep going I'm sure it'll get better.

RebelAngel - I think one month depends on how much you dislike math and counting things. March 2 to Apr 2 = one month for me. Did I mention that I hate math?

nancyj - Yay you! I just gave you an honorary spin of my disco ball.

PBC - A spin of the disco ball for making it through your first non-alcoholic vacation in 15 years.

Mida - I hear you on the forever thing. I also try not to think about it because my brain always tells me "Of course you're going to drink again". But if I ask myself whether I'm going to drink today, the answer is "no". So....I'll stick with that for now.

Rachel - All right now - where the heck are you? Tell us SOMETHING for God's sake. It doesn't matter what's happening - no one here is going to get all judgemental on you.

Well, I've got some difficult stuff to do today...I have to call around for moving companies and I'm going to try to do that without meds. Before now, it would have required about 4 drinks + meds to even get started. God, I hate the phone. Talk to y'all later.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 507 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bevin View Post
Hi guys - been sitting here thinking about the f-its and what they're all about.

I find it really difficult to truly 'access' my drinking memories in a real and emotional way. It's almost like those things happened to a different person - which they kind of did in a way. Maybe this actually contributes to the f-its...because we have a hard time remembering what it truly felt like to be drunk. I remember waking up a couple months ago and making coffee yadda yadda - doing the usual morning stuff - completely forgetting for while that I had spent a couple hours thinking about killing myself the night before. You'd think I'd remember that, right? Nope. Alcohol is weird that way.

OMG I hear ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is precisely a HUGE problem with me and probably everyone else, it's why I ahve messed up soooo many times in the past...

I think this is the reason a lot of people benefit so much from meetings and noobs...we have to be reminded daily of what it's like, and that it can happen again and again...

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bevin View Post
There's also the allure of routine. The pattern of my life was pretty rigid when I was drinking. Get up, work, fight the urge to drink until 5, drink, eat, sleep, repeat. For the most part, it was a predictable routine of emotions too. I knew how alcohol would make me feel, and whether it was good or bad at least I knew what was coming.

This is going to sound weird, but when I first started taking walks to give myself something to do besides drinking in the evening, I listed to the same mp3s and walked the same route at the same time every night. It made me feel better. I just needed that feeling of security that comes with predictability.
That is not weird at all...My routines were very set re alcohol and so it is easier to replace with new ones, rather than rattle around.

I am loving having my mornings back but feel very flat in evenings...so I am going to cancel evenings for a while! Home from work, walk, weights, shower, cook, last check-in here and then to bed with book.

Morning I now: check here when I wake up, walk at daylight, back here to post and drink two cups of coffee and protein shake, shower, off to work. (And work is REALLY routine! Yawn!)

I do the same walk as not many places (including my own street!) are safe to walk dogs due to dangerous dogs which would chew mine up in a second. So I drive 4km to a little lake which has a 4km pathway and everyone has their dogs under control. I even park in the same bay most days! As it gets further into winter, I will only be able to do this in evenings and so am planning to do an exercise DVD each morning instead. This morning I have added salute to the sun (yoga) to my routine.

Funnily enough, I can't stand to cook the same meal more than a dozen times before I get bored with it!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 509 (permalink)  

Good Morning Marchers, on my Day 8.

Rebel, I say celebrate sober days as many ways as you can think of. As my sober day is March 31, I will be covering all possible celebrations.

PBC, I realise how good I have it...talking to people each day who were in Christchurch quake gives me perspective. (They are so excited to be able to flush their toilets after a month!!!)

Lofty, I feel I facing real life for the first time. I was 22 when I realised that I did not want to be an accountant (pretty much the time I became one!) and wanted to work in the arts - writing or something. 23/24 I headed overseas and also started drinking and carried on accounting. Now 42, I am having to work out how to be what I want to be when I grow up...and having to grow up! And I figure when I am doing what I want to do with my life, I will meet more like-minded people and amybe even have some friends who live in my town! It is exciting when it isn't terrifying!

Prof Fudge, Thanks for list.
I compare me getting sober to a horrid off-road bike race I did a few years ago. It is held in winter because there is a river to cross and can't be crossed in summer due to the glacier melting. It snowed the night before and I fell off ten minutes into race and ripped knees. And then again 5 minutes later. I did not think of quitting as my (then) partner had done the first/hard bit (and was in ambulance with mild hypothermia after coming off udring river crossing!). And there were some bits that were fun. It took me a couple of hours and I still have scars. But I did it. And I don't have to do it again!

GenJen, Excellent!

LookingForward, I should have guessed a Gilligan would be a Gleek!

Have a great day everyone
Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 510 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D