Notices

Class of December 2010 Part 3

Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sorry you're having a rough day North - hows the rational recovery stuff going?
D
I'm not really having a bad day, just dealing with the day to day grind of alcoholism. I almost missed a probation meeting today because the reminder slip my PO gave me looked like it said Jan 21, 2011. I got up this morning and thought, that's weird, I usually meet my PO on thursdays, so I gave him a call and he said our meeting was today. I went down to meet him, and showed him the slip and he laughed and said "Don't worry, I can't even read my own writing, I've had many people miss meetings because they can't read my writing and they think the appointment is another day. You would have been fine if you came in tomorrow and told me the slip said the 21st"
I'm glad he's my PO, because I've heard horror stories of other PO's.

RR is going fine, it puts light on the addictive voice and what it really is, and isn't. It's similar to meditative thinking, in that you have to be mindful of your thoughts and how you react to them.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Way to go, Soph! My daughter turns 7 in May, and her mom and I split right about the time she turned 3, so I can relate to a lot of what you said. Hope we have as solid and open a relationship as you and your son when she's his age!

Are you part of a face-to-face RR group, North, or learning on your own? The little bit I've learned is interesting. I was thinking about going to some SMART meetings if I decide F2F would help (from what I read SMART similar to RR; they used to be connected, but SMART is nonprofit instead of for-profit like RR.... in other words, it's free!).
Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi all...about to go out to dinner with a good friend who loves to drink good wine. Having one of those, "why can't I...just tonight..." moments, but I know I can't! Let's hear it for tea and sushi!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Soph - sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your son. I'm not a parent, but that must go a long ways when it comes to discussing touchy subjects. I could have never had a discussion like that with my parents so good for you.

North - sounds like your PO needs to start printing out slips from the computer! Good grief!

MJ - enjoy your sushi and remember, your friend isn't going to feel nearly as good as you will tomorrow morning
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sushi tastes better without alcohol anyway IMO - have a good time MJ
D
Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Today I feel being sober is hard because I cant just "wash away" the anxiety I am feeling about some issues in my life. Not that it helps, but again I am trying to get used to dealing with real life and real emotions...hard.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

sorry, I sound like a broken record....
Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Wow Decemberists, this is starting to get as active as the fitness thread.

Soph, one quick mention on your thoughful post...I think your son is lucky to have a mom who cares and puts so much emotion and love and worry into him. Here in DC I see so many so-called parents, lost, no care at all for their kids. It's a tragedy, and those kids have no hope no future.

My days with pot seem like another lifetime ago..some funny memories but then it just didn't feel right to me. Luckily I found another substance that really worked out well....

Everyone, keep at it, those numbers are going up and up, amazing! Another long day, sleep well and check in tomorrow!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Kiddo and i are home watching *awful* and stupid horror movie we dvr'd called "The Skeptic" starring Tim Daly. I made beef a roni (beef with macaroni+cheese) comfort food for both of us.

Sober, slightly depressed, feeling tired after long trip and a bit overwhelmed and tired of certain aspects of my life...wish I could be 20 again and just go home to my parents...but now I am a parent and have to be the responsible one. OK, pity party time!

Bye for now...so glad you are all doing well in your sobriety...I am worried this weekend I might buckle. Need to get to some meetings. And need a sponsor. Thanks for being here guys.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
natasha b

its a blessing when we can see that we need a meeting...or sleep, food, love, privacy, understanding...and not try to find it in a bottle or bag...
i'm finding comfort in american idol and the love of friends...
my husband and i soon will be moving into our own place after a welcome respite at a friends house after a devastating relapse...
i am nervous as i have been at this place before and as soon as the desperation wares off i start thinking i am in control again...
i am trying to surround myself w/ God...He never fails...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notaloser View Post
sorry, I sound like a broken record....
Wait a minute, I just saw this post and I'm not in bed yet dam*it!

Be a broken record, 8 track, cassette, vhs, beta...whatever. We're here to listen and to support you nota hang in there!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was never good at dealing with problems or the worry and stress from them - turns out I'm actually pretty good - but the fear of the situations drove me to drink in the first place.

It's a learning curve Nota - but in my experience each time you get through a situation sober you learn something new and are that little bit more prepared for next time

You're doing fine
D
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sushi was great with seltzer...the anticipation is often worse than the actual event.

Soph, hit a meeting...think that the others there are just like us...grab a sponsor. You can do it. And I will be checking in all weekend, so just post if you are nervous ( you saved me the other day when my mom was uncorking the vino...). Feel free to message me for my e mail or phone, if you want to have a number ready to call.

You all are so inspiring to me.

Natasha, welcome!

Nal, your record is the same as ours. Play it, baby! I had a really emotional day yesterday and feel much much better today. Hope it is the same for you.

Night, classmates. Keep warm!

I laughed lots tonight. Need to do more of that.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

You are all very helpful to me. I have been on this site today and this evening and tonight more than I ever have before. My laptop has been like a part of my body. I honestly know that you all - SR - kept me sober tonight. I craved escape via wine. And instead I just kept reading.

One thing I did was start reading all the "stories" posts. Very inspirational and eye-opening. Grateful they are there.

Good night all. *yawn* and VC, girl, we're right here.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I think I'm in for a chilly ride today. Glad to see those positive notes mj and soph.

I've read some of the stories but think I'll dive into that section of SR this weekend. Wishing you all a safe day.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi class!

Day # 50 today! Can't believe it!

MJ - I know what you mean about the anticipation often being worse than the actual event. Glad you got out and had some laughs. I need to do that myself but with ice still on the roads, looks like another lovely day/evening with my cats :-p I try having conversation with them but they just look at me like I'm crazy lol

There is a speaker meeting tonight I'd like to go to. Maybe the ice will somehow miraculously melt today even tho the temps are only supposed to get in the low 30s

Hope everyone has a peaceful, sober day!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Friday. That used to mean I could cut loose—and not contain myself to my weeknight dose of a bottle of wine or six pack of beer. I could afford to be a bit more hungover; just gonna spend Saturday hanging out with my daughter, after all.... How twisted is that?

It's funny how I look at everything so differently now. The scenario above seems so exhausting to me now, while all the things that used to seem boring to me now seem so rewarding and peaceful.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I feel the same way...we have a sitter tonight and I am trying to figure out what we could do that's relaxing and fun...and not sitting and drinking wine. Being sober means changing a lot of your life...I am ready. Good morning, all!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good morning. I woke up today, took dogs outside, took a few steps (in snow boots mind you) and - Vwoop! - fell flat on my coccyx. Like Charlie Brown when Lucy removes the football. Patch of ice. Ironically, I am now lying on my back, on a baggie of ice.

Funny how the problem and the remedy were the same!

Which reminds me of Homer Simpson, who once said "Ah, beer. The cause of, and solution to, all my problems."

Except for me I daresay it was wine.

Have a great Friday everyone...MJ have a fun date night...Grandfather ride safely...Better CONGRATS!!! WOW!!! 50 days!! Nota, Ready, Natasha, VC, everyone else...TGIF and keep living one day, one hour, one minute at a time.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bettterlife4me View Post
hi class!

Day # 50 today! Can't believe it!
awesome!!!!!!!!!