Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fridaynight .....

Liv2011...

Looking forward to sharing with both of you
Welcome to our Daily Support thread!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

hey guys,

I'm having some problems blocking out thoughts in my head, things I did that I am embarrased for and just negative things that I can't place at the moment: I don't know how to deal with my parents breaking up (I'm an adult but it still hurts to see )

So I slept really bad, no peace in my thoughts/brain.
I'm not sure what to do, I have a lot of good books but I can't apply them....

argggh, day 14 and the weekend begins!

Take Care
Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi guys.

Day 13 here and in a sweat. Just been to see my disabilities coach (I am currently on unemployment benefits due to depression/other mental health issues) and explained to him how i have been sober since 1st jan. does this get any easier? explaining to people how you used to have issues with it (the liquid that i cant even bring myself to say its name!!!alcohol yuk). Personally i felt rather ashamed and like i was a society problem.

In other news i guess day 13 is good but today came as a shock. Explaining to a relative unknown about my addiction history was not at all pleasant and i felt rather ashamed. In addition to this walking round the nearby town where my appointment was i was aware how i didnt know what to do with myself. Other than coffeeshops and some random browsing of shops (not enjoyed really) i didnt know where to go....missing the familiar PINT

Guess i should tidy myself up since the hair at the back of my head is just touching onto my collar and this bugs me ergo i feel like a scruff.

Definately less self centred now im not boozing but admitting you have been a drug (in my case alcohol, cannabis and sex) addict for around [when was puberty?] 19years and having only been 'sober' [not depending on any of the three] for 13 days versus 19years is a bit 'oh cr**'.

Feel really strung out but will not cave in.

How are all you folks. Anyone who replies i would enjoy hearing your backstory/addiction history if you dont mind.

kevin, 32
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

chebella....try writing those negetive thoughts down....
read them for 5 minutes....then burn the paper.

Congratulations on your solid 2 weeks.....
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Kevin..

To find a lot of our history and how we over came obsticles
please click on the link below.....

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

To find people just like you and I.....I connected to local AA
and it's an awesome resource for living sober....
It's good for finding new friends who understand
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Day 14

Can't believe the changes my body and mind have been going thru in the past two weeks. To wake each morning without that sick, cloudy, hurtful start of the day is a gift. Sure don't miss waking numerous times throughout the night to drinks tons of water. And the water still doesn't stop the thirst. I have been lucky enough to maintain a successful business for the past 14 years but looking back at the time with a clearer head... don't know how I did it. These past 14 days have been so productive. I know that 2011 is going to be a stellar year in biz and personal life because I have chosen to get that monkey off my back.... my poison... alcohol. I thank God every morning for my previous sober days and ask that HE help and guide me thru the current day. May sound funny ... but I'm happy to be a recovering alcoholic. What is the flipside? An active alcoholic/drunk...... a living nightmare.

Peace,
Mary
Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

A step in the right direction

Originally Posted by kevinlednylon
good luck on your mission to give up crack cocaine. ive only done it twice but have just turned round from 19 years of sex/weed/alcohol addiction.

today it f*ing hurts
Thank you kevenlednylon for your words of encouragement. Congratulations for taking the necessary first step in turning your life around. There comes a time when we must take a stand against this evil that is slowly but surely destroying us and those around us. What bothers me the most is the realization of the pain and grief I have caused those who love me dearly. I have also come to realize that every-time I got high I shared my drugs with someone else which only helped lead them down the same destructive path.

I have learned to look at myself through the eyes of my loved ones and truly do not like what I see. I can only imagine how I looked to them when I was selfishly high and spending all our money. Not exactly the qualities of a good father. What hurts more than abstaining from my addiction is feeling the hurt that I have brought upon my loved ones.

Enough is enough! Take a stand and be prepared to fight for what's left of your life. Of course it won't be easy, anything worth having never is. Failure is not an option and relapse is no excuse. Keep moving forward and remember to see your self through the eyes of another.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

mmh364..Congratulations ..2 weeks of a new life....
Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Mary

Congratulations to you too Kevin - 13 days is a good start...I know it's hard but try to focus on what you're doing rather than what you've done...the past is closed to us I'm afraid - it's what we do today that counts

You'll find my story - and Carol's too - in the Stories forum

D
Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Had dinner out tonight and for the first time in many years - I ordered a pepsi... Amazing how much hungrier I am..Starving and thirsty ALL the time. Day #6 and feeling good. As I saw a waitress walking with a cold frosty pint I squinted and crossed my eyes so that my vision was a reality of my own addiction. What did I see ? about 8 beers...one = eight.
We only need to control the first drink. I copied this post from a different forum..."I simply cannot have a couple beers on the weekend--it's dry or swimming (and trouble) for me. I envy people who can actually "control" their drinking. Unfortunately and as is decided by some, alcohol doesn't "agree with me"--that's a simple statement which which pretty much says it all.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah, I found once I accepted my lot, it got easier

Thanks for sorting out which one you were there, Chris
D
Old 01-15-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I;m so old..I remember when containers of dangerous substances
had a picture of a skull with crossed bones underneath on lables.

That is the image I used early on to remind me where alcohol was
leading me.

Years later....I read info on line that said alcohol was a liquid
toxin....damaged every drinker....not only alcoholics.

Wow! I'm so tickled I quit ...
Ive got plenty of health issues to deal with...without alcohol being a factor.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I love waking up and not being hungover and dehydrated. My skin looks so much better and I FEEL better.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go ladyf!

D
Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

The fog, daily clearing. Finding myself faster, smarter and aware. Its amazingly freeing. I haven't felt any cravings...I have started breaking my habits. This is the longest I have been sober in 10 years...
Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Way to go Perpetual and Ladyfierce!! And it gets better too, at least it did for me. Over a year now and going strong. And I was a perpetual inhabitant of this thread cause I kept falling off the wagon and climbing back on... So if I can finally 'get it', so can anyone.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Justwannalive

I slipped on Tuesday the 11th and got back on Saturday morning.

Trigger to drink was physical discomfort. I don't believe I've ever experienced true "DTs" but I had posted earlier I felt a tightness in my chest. That went away but then I felt this overall bloated feeling that was very uncomfortable. Of course drinking made it go away.

Trigger for stopping was finding out my seemingly secure job will probably disappear within 6 months. I need to get my s*#t together to start job hunting as I am a single parent with a teen getting ready for college.

8 days not drinking, 4 days drinking, 2 days not drinking and counting.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to AA? I am not religious at all and AA just doesn't click for me. I have been to a few meetings with Lifering (secular alternative) but it also didn't click for me. I've found this forum very helpful but I need something more.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Reddy

this is a link to most of the main players - I hear SMART gets a pretty good wrap.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

8 days...and feeling great...lil scared about this pink cloud affect I am reading about but hopefully I can beat that too.

Woke up this morning and saw the colour in my eyes for the first time in ages. I am not sure if it was depression or just me ignoring them. But the bright blue has come back into them. Losing 7 pounds has been amazing as well. I had been battling my weight while drinking...I guess dropping 1700 liquid calories from my diet has been good.

Last night was the first night I craved a drink. It was in passing and a flash. Just a thought...a beer would taste good right now. I didn't act on it or even dwell...but it surprised me...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you, Perpetual

D