Notices

Members with less than 2 weeks Welcome-Part 15

Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Justwannalive

Day 8. Familiar feelings again. Feeling foggy, not remembering everything at work from last week. Making lots of notes. Something somewhere telling me to drink and then I won't be foggy (or at least it will be a more familiar foggy). I ready something recently about clenching fists whenever you feel a craving and that seems to help. No idea why.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

kevinlednylon...

Good to know you are being pro active ...welcome!

In early sobriety I timed my cravings.
They lasted about 5 minutes .....not too long to be uncomfortable.

Then I took action.....to distract myself.
Went walking....ate hard candy....drank cold water...brushed my teeth.

The longer I stayed sober...the lessened in both frequency and intensity.

By the end of 2 months...they had vanished.

2 months sounds like a long time....but I had been a daily hard core drinker for 5 years.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

reddy2quit ....

You might want to try this to fog a bit...get some
Crossword Puzzle books and begin working them.
Google for some on line word puzzles too.

Finishing is not the point...just brain flexing....
Old 01-11-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks carol and dee, day 10 here starting to wake at normal times now aswell and with a clear heed!result
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hello,
@scared1: Don't let it get to you too much, just a little slip. Get back on track !

@Kevin: Welcome, congrats on your 9days!

Well I'm doing ok, day 11 and all is calm in my head. But last night all of sudden I thought how boring it is to live sober. That's complete nonsense of course and I corrected myself immediately (remember stupid stuff I did being drink, last time NYE, so not that long ago!) I think it's the first time that I heard "the little voice" that some of you write about, the one that gives you a reason or excuse to have a drink....
But remembering those things that I am ashamed of, really helped putting things back in perspective.

all the best to you guys,
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Scared1, I hope you're smarter than I was. I tortured myself nearly two years before I finally wised up and quit for good. I hope it doesn't take you that long to 'get it'. Hope your doggie is alright too.

Get right back up on the wagon and start over.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

chebella.....

Good work on changeing your perception ...
In AA we call that "thinking the drink through"
and it wrked well for me too.

Forward is always the best direction....
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 11 here
Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am starting anew on Day 1. I feel bad about messing up my string of sober days. But I start fresh and move forward.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Will this be the one?

My name is BigBlue and I am an addict. My drug of choice is crack cocaine. Promised myself and family for years that I would quit. Like many addicts I had great intentions but no positive results. I haven't told anyone I joined this forum or that I am utilizing the "CrackBusters" workbook. Instead of making false promises to others I have decided to commit myself to breaking this horrible cycle. I have removed myself from the drug environment as best as possible and am successfully ignoring addicts and drug dealers attempts to contact me.

People who are addicts or dealers seem to be dying all around me. If I stay my present course I know my turn will soon come. I do not want my family left with telling people "he was trying to turn his life around." I want them to be able to sayh "he overcame his addiction, completed his college courses, got a degree and went on helping others whose lives have been wrecked by drug and alcohol abuse." I want to be a role model.

So here my journey begins. Sobriety began January 7, 2011.....and so the story goes.....
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome BigBlue...

Admirable goal....and yes...it can come true for you.

Here is another Forum ...with infomation and supportive members
Please check it out too.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Thanks for joining SR....
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ladyfierce...

Now you know that you really can quit....glad to see you are
starting fresh....

Do you have a new plan in mind to stay sober?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

evinlednylon..........Ready....

Way to go....you are doing the sober deal!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello Carold, I posted in the newbie forum earlier today and got responses within an hour ! - I have to say my eyes filled up just now as I read the entire previous Message board prior to this one part 14... Similarities are uncanny for many of us. Tomorrow morning I will be on day 5. This is my longest streak since 2007. I honestly did not intend to quit drinking a few days ago. I took a day off felt good, so I said hmm that was good let me do it again, hmmm that was good ...you get the point now I'm focused and driven.
We drink because it feels "good" Now I'm not drinking because it feels good..but in a legitimate way
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bigblue and nobeerchris

welcome back ladyf - many of us faltered a time or two. Think about what you need to add to your programme this time and move on

D
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

NoBeerChris...

Welcome to our Yes! you can crew!
Quitting drinking was the wisest thing I ever did...Congratulations!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I'm on day 13 today and I just feel today will be easy for me. Last night I had a craving but it did not last too long.

Welcome to NoBeerChris and BigBlue.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi all, I am trying to find my correct forum here. I just wanted to say I'm on day 3 and it's going OK.

Also thanks to everyone above who posted. Believe it or not, you other newbies, reading your struggles and how you deal with them helps me. The successes and failures both help because it's just the honesty that helps. Makes me feel less alone, more connected. Scared1 if you pull yourself away from the drink again, I for one am looking forward to getting to know one so brave and honest; and I relate to all your thinking about "was it such a big deal."

Speaking for myself, I'm classic as described in Big Book - "unable, at certain times, to bring into mind with sufficient force the pain and humiliation of a month or even a week ago." In fact, I'm ONLY able to bring that stuff to mind - with sufficient force - once in a blue moon. That's the exception. The rule for me is I rationalize all the stuff I did, my MANY bottoms and my shame.

I try to remind myself when I do feel shame that this really truly is a mental illness. Trying to recover based on will power, thoughts and determination, when your will power, thinking and determination are ill, well you can see the basic problem.

By nature I'm on the wrong track, a "Southbound train." No matter what track I might get myself on today, I will wake up tomorrow on the wrong track again. I'm a broken compass - my true north will always be south.

I need help to counteract it anew each day. heading to a meeting. Grateful I'm alive and can.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Starting Day 1 tonight at midnight. Yes, alcohol is fun but I look forward to living a life with less regrets, less things to feel ashamed or embarrassed about, not having to hide or sneak, no bottles hidden around the house and/or stopping by the liquor store after I drop off the kids...not knowing how I am appearing, wondering if people know or if they don't know...worrying if my husband comes home early did I leave a glass around? I know it will be hard but to continue as I have been going is no life...
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Liv2011

D