Notices

90 Days and Under Part 4

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi 90's!

Just dropping in to say hello and see how everyone is going. I'm very flat, almost foggy but then I realised that I'm coming off the chocolate and icecream. Weird - my son wanted to play Cluedo and that is the very last thing that I feel like playing - just brain dead! But I'm sure it will go away and knowing that Coop1 and Phytoman have given up the smokes, my worry is nothing!

Coop1 - great news about the doc! That's the leave pass of all leave passes - pretty much clean bill of health - you're on your way!

Giraffe - lots of support here for you - I'm using SR but if I was to slip up, I'm off to AA; that's a promise; it's good to see how you went and where it willl lead to; I read many others saying that they went to a number of AA's before selecting the one they felt most comfortable with. All the best for you on this.

Akasha - congrats on getting to 10 weeks! Same to you Carlos!

Iamlivingfree - from your writings, you seem clear and calm - all good and thanks for the continual posts.

Tinman - 57 days - well done! You're winning the battle - keep going!

And everyone else on the 90 days bus, congratulations, keep going, be strong AND remember, today we don't drink.

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
Coop, that is good news!

I went to an AA meeting at the local church. It was... interesting. After I sat down I looked around and saw only men (and 90% around 55-60 years old). I asked a man sitting next to me: Is this a men only meeting? Nope, just a normal meeting.

Anyway, after the meeting an older gentleman asked me if I needed a sponsor. I tried to explain that this was my first AA anything and I knew nothing about it. But he wouldn't budge and said he knew a brilliant woman my age that would be a great sponsor ... and in the end I gave him my phone number to give to her.
Apparently I'm now giving my phone number to strangers and saying yes to anything.

I have no idea how I feel wright now. (is it wright or right?)
I have a feeling that 2011 will be an interesting year.
Funny you bring this up. My wife asked me about women at AA and I told her that normally there is a couple. I later went to the Big Book and pointed out that women make up 1/4 of AA membership.

The cool part about the meetings is you don't have to share. I'm a newcomer so I just sit and listen. And the "oldtimers" as I call them have some serious wisdom. I even take a journel and take notes.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Checking in to wish you all a peaceful sober day.
I'm a bit late for work, so will catch up properly later.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good day IALF

D
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 60 days, Iamlivingfree.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Sneaks back in, pulls up a chair, smiles shyly

Day 50 – really sorry I disappeared I had/still have some family issues to sort out and it all got too much. Without boring you too much, I have four kids, two doing ok, one just back on the rails (drink, weed, homeless etc) and one doing his best to follow in his brother footsteps! I felt ‘what was the point’ hit a real low and couldn’t pull myself out of it. I didn’t drink; I sat in a dark room and hid, left OH to cope.
Congratulations on all those days we have stacking up and a huge thanks for all your thoughts, they mean so much.

Hx

PS – This prayer sums up you guys and SR for me, again thankyou

O God make the door of this house wide enough
to receive all who need human love and fellowship
and a heavenly Father’s care;
and narrow enough to shut out all envy, pride and hate.
Make its threshold smooth enough
to be no stumbling block to children or straying feet,
but rugged enough to turn back the tempter’s power;
make it a gateway to your eternal kingdom.
(Thomas Ken, written at the door of a Christian Hospital)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your troubles Zuri, but I'm glad you resisted the urge to drink.
I think the best you can do is continue to be a good example to your boys

D
Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Zuri - Hang in there. You have a lot to be proud of, and are setting a great example for your kids. Congrats on 5o days!

Coop - That's awesome news from your doctor!

Everybody else - keep it going... one day at a time...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Zuri, good to hear from you again, I hope your kids find their way. And you should be proud that you didn't drink.

And thank you guys for your support. Going back for a meeting tonight.

Hope you all have/are having/had a great day.

Giraffe.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone for all of the support. I can't believe how large all of these numbers for everyone are getting to be.

Akasha- way to lead the pack at 10 weeks.

Carlos- right there at 10....GO STEELERS!

IALF- definitely want to keep moving forward and never look back...congrats on 60.

Zuri- sorry to hear about the family situation...you are in my prayers. I agree with Dee, way to stay strong and set a good example for everyone else...you are to be commended for that.

Giraffe- keep us posted on the AA thing. I tried in the beginnig but could not find a good meeting in my area...I am thinking about trying again.

Tinman and Rosco- I hope you two get out of the valley and find a peek soon.

Chloe- may the force be with you!

To everyone else have a super day!

Coop- 8 weeks
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all. Late checking in today. They have been keeping me busy.

Congrats to all who have achieved another day of sobriety.

Zuri, I will keep you and your family in my thoughts today.

Giraffe, glad to see you are going back for another meeting. Breath easy.

Have a good day all!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Well, day 60 coming to a close for me. This alcohol-free life is becoming a habit!

Zuri, so glad you posted today. I hope things improve for you soon. To still be on track is such a great achievement, it sounds like you're the trailblazer for your family at the moment. Thank you for the lovely prayer,

I'm off to bed, hope you've all had/having a good day,
Speak tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi 90's!

Zuri - it's great that you posted! It's hard for me to know what to say to help except that when I look at my teenagers, I remind myself that if I had the opportunity to look back at my life in 1000 years time, what would I be thinking? My guess would be that I'd be saying "I hope I was happy and didn't take it all too seriously". It's all a balance I guess, booze doesn't figure because it's so destructive and unbalancing. And with that now hopefully out of my life, each day, I look for the things that I find uplifting (a lampost and a sunset , colours, the sea, the cool breeze, the enjoyment of going to a good movie - getting there early, enjoying the experience etc).

I like to remind myself of the regretable things I've done in the past (forget past = complacency = can control this = possible relapse = no!).

A few years ago, I attended a school Parents & Citizens (PTA) meeting (I was vice president) and went along drunk (I had done this a few times but on this particular occasion, I had really given it a nudge). I had to remain silent the whole time and hoped that no-one would notice. How embarrassing. After that, I made up my mind to not drink but I would make it up after coming home! Rosco would get there in the end! How silly was that?! The "funny" thing about the meetings is that about 2 years ago, the school principal and the parents started to bring their own grog. We didn't seem to have a problem getting a quorum after that! One of the committee members, who I thought was having a problem with alcohol (wonderful guy - used to bring his corona's, cut lime, cutting board) said to me recently "I've decided to only drink 3 days per week. It's up to me which days". I thought "he's sliding down the venus fly trap, slowing it up may be, but may get to the bottom nonetheless". I don't know - I guess I hate to see the struggles people have. Next time I see him, do I say "hey, Mitch I know of this really great site called soberrecovery.com - I think you need/should have a look/might want to check it out sometime?" I don't think that is my place to do that.

A bit a rambling on from me (could be worse, I could have put another photo up!).

Everyone, have a great day (it's Friday here) and notch up another sober day. The 90 days and less team rock!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.

And for NoAlcoholToday, I attach this! I'll get a tally update later!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Aussie cricket team.jpg (13.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm always cautious about approaching other people about their drinking, Rosco.

I remember how I used to take peoples well meaning concern.
There's a reason why AAers do 12 step visits in pairs.

I guess I'm not the evangelist type. I don't wear a T shirt about it, but I'm open about the fact I'm a non drinker and why - I figure if someone wants my help they know where to find me.

D
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Zuri, I'm so glad you didn't drink thru your family troubles. As was said, keep your sobriety and you'll be an example for your kids.

Congrats to all of you on your progress.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Livingfree, congrats on day 60!!!

Giraffe, I hope you made the meeting tonight. I made one and check this out, 9 peeps, 5 guys and 4 gals. Of the 5 guys, 2 were oldtimers and the other three were young. Of the 4 gals, 1 was very young. Great meeting tonight.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You've all been doing such great work! I've been away from SR for a few weeks and I'm happy to see everyone still in the game. I am somehow still sober (67 days) but realizing that I need to do things differently and really overhaul my thinking if sobriety is something I really want. Simply "not drinking" isn't going to be enough. Recovery is harder than it sounds!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again WTS

D
Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

NAT, day 60 today!, congratulations.

I'm off to work, so will speak later, have a good day everyone,
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey, Rosco, we wont gloat too much. We remember the "open top bus" charade only too well. Bring on the ODI.

Now, following coop's visit to his doc, I decided to do an online bupa health check (I will go for the real deal when I am in London later this month) and it turns out that I need to exercise! (doh)

So yesterday I took my mountain bike out of its packing (I had it shipped here from London 3 years ago and it hasn't even made it out of the packaging). So my new resolution - do some proper cardiovascular exercise at least 3 times a week!! Thanks coop.

And finally. My wife has decided to quit smoking (as a motion of support for my sobriety). She is on day 10 and I am thrilled about it.

Have an excellent day everyone. Very chilly here but at least it's sunny.