Notices

90 Days and Under Part 4

Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Welcome Ranger! Lots of support and encouragement here!

Number1 - I think moving to CA sounds like a good idea!

Finally got my 12 step book I ordered, so reading through it. Reading about Step 3 right now. Trying to connect to my higher power. I keep praying it will just "hit me". I will continue to pray for enlightenment and in the meantime just be grateful for another sober day.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

For some reason I have been waiting for today for many days now. Today is my 90th soberday! I'm not sure why this milestone is so important to me. So far counting days has been more like a game people here play so I play the game for fun. But now I'm all emotional and proud and just feeling all sorts of feelings.

My AA sponsor came over to start the step work earlier. We had originally planned to start last Monday but she got sick so I had to wait few days. It feels really good to begin this process. And the 90th day is a good day to start.

I cannot describe how much coming here every day has helped me and made me stronger. Without you all I'm sure I would have convinced myself weeks ago that I could control my drinking if I started again. Coming here is a reality check and keeps my head focused in a way I could never have managed on my own. And in the beginning I was also sure this was something I would have to do alone. Now I know I can't do this alone and thankfully I don't have to.

I've come a long way since day one. I feel optimistic about my future now.

You guys are just brilliant and beautiful.

A very emotional Giraffe.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really is an amazing feeling isn't it?
well done again Giraffe

D
Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Superb job, Giraffe. Congratulations on 90 days.

Somehow I had it in my mind that there was a few days between coop and yourself so I hadn't got around to checking up on your graduation day. Anyway hope we are not too late to throw you a party and look forward to seeing you on <6 months asap.

Best
NAT

You must be coming up next, Rosco - when is your graduation?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hello 90's!!!

Giraffe - congratulations on getting to 90 - it's really possible to do do isn't it? All of your comments, I agree entirely.

Complacency = believing that you're in control = stronger little voice = possible relapse = no way!
Complacency in my book, means not doing the "exercise", the work to keep yourself in shape.

It's great to be able to function like a normal human being for a change - the ball and chain has been cut off and I can not only walk but run!

I'm training for this 8 day bike ride in the country (in mid March). The last time I did this ride a couple of years ago, I got smashed every night and then had to do the ride the next day. Waking up with a major hangover and having to ride 70 - 100km is just plain dumb but as you know, I just didn't have any control over it at all. I remember one particular hard day - my mates dropped me because I was unable to keep up. That was hard to take.

Welcome Ranger - if it's any comfort, around half a dozen members have graduated their 90 days of sobriety in the last week or so. So, stay strong, it's very real to be able to stay off the booze and remain sober.

NoAlcoholToday - my anniversary is the 19th Feb. I'll celebrate by posting my favourite lampost (lol)

Have a great one everyone - Giraffe, again, well done.

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Well thanks for the few nice message[s] peeps. I never did get the hang of being sociable online [or ever at all]..anyway.

Yes i have made my 40 ALOT of thanks to Dee and others who supported me during my first week. To anyone who is interested Im learning how to live without drugs [sexual or otherwise] so my DVD and record collections are getting a fair bit of attention. I have also been re-visiting alot of my old ways i had before stopping drinking on jan 2. Turns out some of what i was doing was just fine, major problem was that my addictions were crippling my confidence. So thats part of it now. Learning what i was doing that i can re-visit, stuff that was fine but for my addictions perennially holding me back.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just popping in to say:
Kevin, well done on reaching 40!

Giraffe, 90 days is a great milestone, enjoy your day, and we''ll see you in the 6mths thread.

6:
Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 40 days Kevin!

D
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Kevin - 40 days is AWESOME! Great job friend. I love what you wrote in your post, I love to see people speaking (posting, same thing) about the self searching they are doing and getting honest with themselves. It'll carry you far if you keep with it!

Giraffe, congrats on the big 90! See you in the next thread soon I hope! Also- super happy to hear you're starting the program with your sponsor, it's a fantastic journey - I hope you find it as rewarding as I do.

Ranger - I've done the same thing you went through more times than I can count. The important thing is you made it back. You're not dead or in prison. You've got another chance and now you've done the research - if you're like me there is no such thing as moderate drinking. I hope you find a program that allows you to be happy with your sobriety so that taking that first drink won't be a struggle anymore because you're so happy sober the temptation to drink simply goes away.

Great job you guys, keep up the good work!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I'm still here and hanging on. I am dealing with a lot of insane stuff with another alcoholic right now and have been dealing with that and some stuff from my past regarding my A. parents, family members and old relationships and trying to quit smoking at the same time. It all comes at once doesn't it?
I didn't drink today, but I did gulp down a pint of ice cream in about two seconds.
I love coming here and reading all the positive posts and seeing the cute avatars.
Thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can get out of that situation penny - it doesn't sound like it's doing you much good.

D
Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

WOW, another <90 graduation!!

CONGRATS GIRAFFE AND WELL DONE!!

Coop
Old 02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi Penny, glad you're still here. Agree with Dee, I hope you get out of that situation if at all possible.

Also, much love towards your goal of quitting smoking. I'm using the gum, but today marks 29 days for me cigarette free and it's awesome. I was sick recently (pretty bad, went on for weeks and boy was I glad I had quit smoking like 5 or so days earlier cuz I smoke right through my colds!!! Good luck to you on that, it's a pretty good feeling to not be burning the cigarettes and not drinking anymore. The gum will go over time but the gum doesn't hurt my throat or my lungs...

Hope everyone else here is doing great, keep up the good work we want to see you all over in the next thread! Happy Sober Friday!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

HI everyone. I'm working on day 2 again. We went away and thursday around 11:30 my husband said that he'd rather stay in the hotel and have a few beers and hang out then go out skiing after our daughter was done our nap. I know I have to take responsibility and be stronger and I couldnt stop stop. I was still drinking later on when we went out, I did take my daughter tubing but I also spent time at the bar. The bartender made me call my husband. I am so ashamed. If my daughter would of gotten hurt or something because of me I would never be able to forgive myself. Luckily she did not and she said she had fun. She's only four so the little tubing we did was fun for her and she had hot chocolate at the bar. I've never been so irresponsible before. I never got drunk when I was alone with her.I should of spoken up, at first I knew I had to get out of that hotel room and go do something. I do know one thing, I will never be in a situation like that again. I still get sick to my stomach when I think of what happened. You guys are a great group, thanks for all the support, but now I must go back to the beginning. I'm gonna keep on trying!

I know that I'm the one responsible, but can I ask for support from my spouse? Do any of you maybe ask your partner not to drink around you on occasion? He mostly stays out of it. He was just upset he had to come and get me. He told me there was a bar where he was skiing and I should of went there. I was just curious if any of you ever ask for help from your significant other?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hey shegirl

I certainly do ask my wife for her help and support and, thankfully, I get it too. Its not so bad these days but in the early days I not only asked for there to be no alcohol at home but also that we should avoid going to establishments which serve alcohol as their primary business (restaurants were ok but bars were out). My wife also chose not to drink any alcohol in front of me even though I never asked her not to (more recently I havent had any problems with anyone drinking around me anyway).

We still dont keep any alcohol at home even after 3 months. Whilst I am feeling reasonably secure, I dont want to have any unnecessary temptations around, just in case.

Good luck with day 2 and congratulations on making it back here.

NAT
Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Well arrived at 6 weeks. When i first stopped this was the lower end of my estimate for how long

Worked out last night that 6/52 is still about 8 times a year. This seems too high.

Im going to carry on being sober for now
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Just an addendum. Just been tidying up and thinking forward to ketting my hose more ship shape. I guess if i was drinking i would be poorer plus i dont suppose intoxication would make me think about tidying 6weeks still sober
Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

now battling with 'celebration drinking' whereas before it was mostly downer drinking i was overcoming.

scuse for the 3 posts in 1 day
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Shegirl, I can't remember how many times I relapsed after swearing to stay sober. I too was ashamed of myself. I've got 14 months sober now but I first started trying to stay sober three years ago. It took me a while to 'get it' but I finally did. You can too.

I'm just glad you're back.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you absolutely can ask for support from your spouse shegirl.

Have you been doing any kind of recovery programme or counselling or just battling this on your own?

Maybe it's time to look to see what you can add to what you've been doing so far?

D