Notices

Class of December 2010 Part 2

Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Also just wanted to add, and this relates to what Boozefree wrote, that I also have to try some new and different AA meetings. Last year I had a few I tried and one in particular that was so close to my house - but I did not like the cliques. And there were certainly cliques at this one women's meeting - it made me feel like high school again.

Tonight I aim to go to a new meeting, one I have never attended, at 8pm near my home. I really, really want a home group, and a cool, safe group I can be myself in.

We can do it! It's still December!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi class - BF I can also see that I will need additional support in order for my sobriety to "stick". Having said that, I am so very, very grateful for the support I have found on SR and am convinced it's the reason I have 26 days sober.

I have an appt tomorrow with an addictions counselor. I'm a little scared, (not sure why) other than I have never spoken openly about my drinking face to face with someone before so who knows what might come out. Probably lots of tears.

Hope you find whatever additional support helps you maintain long term sobriety.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am back. But I don't think it'll stick. I don't like being straight, it scares me and I have nothing to look forward to. I know I'll have nothing to look forward to if I keep drinking, though. What a mess. What a bore... I wish I could pay attention, I am perpetually bored and lonely so I drink and drink.. and the OCD kicks in so much when I'm sober. I am determined to get and stay off meds though. Sorry for the ramble. Best to you all.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

BF and BettterLife, I think I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna check out AA, though I have a few reservations. Never been to an AA meeting (except to take a friend there during an intervention many years ago, when I was too blind to see I was already following in his footsteps). So far things are going better than I hoped for me. I even bought some wine and beer for my parents to enjoy during a holiday visit, and poured out the remains the minute they drove away.

But I worry that overconfidence may be the biggest danger of all, leading me to think, "hey, it's all good now, I can handle one drink..." So while I don't feel like I need AA at the moment, I think the extra support could help me in the long-run nonetheless. Sure couldn't hurt!

Man, only 9 days in, but it feels good to be where I am. I really want to thank you guys and everyone else on SR. This community had made a huge difference for me.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Better:
I have an appt tomorrow with an addictions counselor.
Let us know how that goes! I bet it will be cleansing!!

BF, I think it's great you are looking around at support options. The more tools you have, the more successful your chances! Maybe you and MaryJan can compare notes! I am not an AA-er.......but I have heard on many occasions that you should keep trying different ones until you find the one that fits.

So we are approaching 1-1-11!!!!!! Do you guys have a plan in mind? I am staying home, maybe renting some movies, buying something special for dinner...........just relaxing. A fresh new year.........I have to start setting some goals!

Hey Fub, how was the movie?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Vicious, I'm with you -- I'm staying home on the big night and reading a good book. Then starting 2011 clear and clean and guilt-free. Can't think of a better way to kick off the New Year!

I hadn't even thought about goals beyond the big one. Maybe I'll find some new evening activities for the nights my daughter is away at her mom's place. You know, something to fill the time that I've been wasting away in a haze for lo these many years....

Sleepie, glad you came back and hope you do again. I know all about bored and lonely. Being sober makes me even more aware of those feelings, and I don't expect that to change overnight. But I figure that if I keep drinking, I'll always be bored and lonely. At least now I'm on a path of hope.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Being sober makes me even more aware of those feelings, and I don't expect that to change overnight. But I figure that if I keep drinking, I'll always be bored and lonely. At least now I'm on a path of hope.
Well put Ready & A.

PS. I am reading over my blood work results and it seems my liver still loves me. What an organ!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great news, VC! Mine were normal too - did I ever tell you that? Goals for the new year... hmmm. That's a fun idea! I have two big ones right now: stay sober and quit my job. I want to do some traveling this year also, and have the most wonderful garden yet. The best one: graduate from college next winter What about everyone else?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Glad to hear your blood results were good too GFCO! Relief........now if I can just get past my mammo in January.......then I can breathe.

Good goals too.......my has a different take....I am on seasonal layoff and I will not go back to that horrific boss this spring. I blew the whistle on him to the union and HR. He is currently under investigation.....for what that is worth. He put me through 3 years of pure hell and I really do attribute some of my drinking toward that....no more. Even if nothing happens to him, I will know I did what I could on the way out. Soooooooo....

I am trying to start my own business....that is my goal. I will need health benefits so I am in the application process for the TSA. Yeah I will be patting people down and staring at naked x-rays at the airport. LOL........truth is, it is part-time work with full gov. benefits.......can't beat that and I really need bennies. That will also give me the free time to launch my gig......that's the plan anyway. We'll see what happens!

I commend you on wanting to finish school. I got my degree at 45yrs old? I was so proud for finishing it up after all those years......how do you spell psycho? Put a 40- something in a physics class.............OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! If you were on Mars and had a 2lb weight attached to one leg and a dollar bill taped to your right knee, how far could you throw an 18 pound cat if the rain was coming down at a 30 degree angle in mid July? AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL VC.

Good ot hear all si well - good luck for January - and I'm glad all was well with you too GFCO

I never liked being straight either sleepie - and why should I have? it was alien to me - I'd spent my adult life being drunk...

It took time to get used to being sober, and it was difficult...but I still think it was the best choice I ever made.

I hope you stick it out

D
Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

If you were on Mars and had a 2lb weight attached to one leg and a dollar bill taped to your right knee, how far could you throw an 18 pound cat if the rain was coming down at a 30 degree angle in mid July?
VC - This is a trick question and the answer weighs heavily on whether or not the cat has been declawed

Guess we're all late bloomer, I went to night school for 7 yrs to get my degree and finished at age 40. Better late than never - YAY us!

Glad to hear everyone has good blood work results YAY again!

Not sure what goals I have for the next year, but it's something to think about for sure.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

VC - This is a trick question and the answer weighs heavily on whether or not the cat has been declawed
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smartie!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

day 9 here, no real cravings yet. I've had the alcoholic voice come into my head, but my sober voice just starts screaming at it and it disappears lol. New years shouldn't be an issue for me, I am staying home with my family and eating lots of food.

One thing we all have going for ourselves is the new year. I personally know I don't want to drink in the new year, and I don't want to screw up 12 days of sobriety heading into the new year. The whole thing with resolutions might work in our advantage, especially if we have a few days, or a couple weeks, or even longer under our belts in sobriety. I truly hope that 2011 is our year, the year that we abstain from alcohol and drugs, and let the addictive voice die a silent death. I am confident that my sober voice will one day be able to run its natural course

"You will be surprised and fascinated at how much of your thinking is actually your Addictive Voice"
Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Ive been pacing the floor mulling over going out for a case of beer.
Put my shoes and coat on. Twice.
Decided to put another pot of coffee on instead and do some reading here.
Why is it so darn hard to NOT do something?
Especially when that something just makes you sick?
Think I'll try and find a meeting to go to tonight instead of hitting that damn store.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me that was the key Richard - whatever else I did (and I tied myself up in knots more than once) I knew it was a better choice than drinking.

That meeting sounds a good idea

D
Old 12-28-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I had planned a party at my house for NYE. Good friends, but maybe I wil cancel. Or tell them to come from 6 to 9' so I feel social & can then get in a hot tub with a box of chocolates. And check in with you all...
Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That urge or compulsion to drink is overwhelming for me at times.
Very happy that I didnt act on it today.

Read a lot on here and went into the chat room for a while.

Then I went out and bought a big bottle of Cranberry Juice instead. No booze.
There is a AA meeting nearby in a couple of hours I really should haul myself into.

Thoses urges are something else though....its like getting hit by a tidal wave.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi there December-types! Day 11 here in DC, back home...feels good. I do love my family, but these holidays...

Sleepie, I never properly thanked you for starting the thread, I have been reading this thing religiously since I created my SR account 11 days ago. I hope we can continue our journey together, here in this positive space you created.

NYE approaches, I think I have no problem sitting this one out. Goals for 2011 are definitely on my mind. I don't want to get caught up in grandiose ideas, just make it day to day and make better choices, consistently.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I got a gift card for for a really nice restaurant as an Xmas gift.
So the plan is New Years Eve dinner out ....just me and my wife.
If we don't buy booze there we can eat like pigs!

Then.... a quiet evening at home by the fireplace.

I'll second that thanks to sleepie for starting this thread too grandfather..!
And 11 days for you? Impressive!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

If we don't buy booze there we can eat like pigs!
Amazing how much less it costs to eat out without a bar tab!