Notices

Class of November 2010 Part 2

Old 12-14-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning class! Jackstone, thanks for the update and way to go. That is awesome that you are going to set a personal record....keep stacking them up. Throw another log on the fire, we got 18" of snow overnite and it is still coming down. Have a great day everyone. Stay strong.

Coop-Day 33
Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey coop, I like the new avatar! Since moving down south, I kind of miss the BIG snowstorms. We got about 3" here Sunday night, and the town nearly shut down. We're expecting some more tonight... then some warming up.

I hope everyone here is doing well! The last couple of days have been real good for me. I quit drinking right in the middle of a stressful work time. Now, things are slowing down, and I'm noticing the benefits of sobriety more. So far, a real productive week for me...
Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Phyto, I lived down south for about 10 years and thought I missed the big snowstorms too...not so much now that I am back and living in them. I remember getting 2 or 3 inches and everything shutting down...I used to love that...was a perfect excuse to go get a good drunk on. Then again anything was a good excuse to get a good drunk on. Glad to hear things are going good for you. Hope everyone else can say the same.

This thread has really tapered off this week. I hope everyone is still hanging in there.
Have a great day all.

Coop- Day 34
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

been sober since november 6th, doing good, my minds starting to clear up a lot.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates!

Back from a trip away. All good - went out to bookclub last night and everyone was drinking and smoking - I had two non-alcoholic ginger beers and hopped into the chocolate fondue! Mmm - licorice, ginger, banana, marshmellow, plum onto a skewer then under the fountain.....

Need to work on New Years Resolutions including cutting down on the huge increase in sugar over these past few weeks!

I hope everything is going well with the rest of the class. Keep strong!

Rosco (25 days).
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm happy to tell my fellow Novembers that I'm back in the game! I hadn't relapsed, but for awhile I was very bitter about my sobriety. I was pouting about how "unfair" it is that I cannot be a normal drinker, but I was also deeply grieving for the life that I've left behind. The second part of that is still a major issue for me, but I'm working through it. The pouting is pointless! I can only control my actions, not whether or not I am an alcoholic. I can't change what I am, but I can choose sobriety.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Zen - that's awesome that you're starting to notice the cloud lifting. This has been one of my major motivations for quitting - to try to get rid of the haze that I've been in for the past few years. It's great to hear that you're having some success.

Rosco - I hear you about the sugar! I've also been using it as a substitute, and actually I think it's starting to make me ill. One more thing to give up....

WTS, great to see you back here. Grieving for the old times is something that I continue to do as well, but at the same time, I can see how sobriety can open up a whole new world and way of life - I think exploring that will be a true adventure. And besides, we've all already tried the old ways. We know they really don't lead anywhere. That's why we're here right?

Now, let's see how tough I'm talking after this weekend - some of my oldest drinking buddies getting together. Wish me luck....!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you really need to subject yourself to that just yet Si ?

I'm glad you're back WTS

D
Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

G'day Dee. I know what you're saying. What to do though? A couple of these guys I haven't seen for years and they call me to say they'll be in town. I dunno, it seems wrong somehow to just avoid people. What do you reckon?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I waited until I was sure my sobriety could take it - I figured a few months off the social rounds, against the rest of my life sober, seemed a good investment.

But you have to be happy with whatever you do Si - I'm just sharing my exoerience, I'm not in the business of telling anyone what to do

If you think your desire to be sober is strong enough to withstand any eventuality, then have a good time - but only you can make that call

Do they know you've 'retired'?

D
Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Have a great day at the Waca, Rosco. Not too sure 268 will be enough bearing in mind that you probably need to win this one...

Day 38 here and still chugging along...
Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Si23 - suggest meeting them for breakfast NOT down the pub or in the evening! Do the bbq thing, put on the cricket (it will be on this weekend) and have all your protection mechanisms in place. Dee is right though - if you think you're not up to it, take the stand that you are #1 focus and priority right now.

NoAlcoholToday - 38 days - lost count and well done! If we don't get the ashes we get Liz Hurley instead? I'll be there with my sombrero and long sleeve cricket shirt! Should be a nice day and not too hot.

I've got to cut down on sugar! This afternoon, I fell into a small "hole" - I almost feel like my blood pressure increases and my eyes were bulging. The only antidote is eating and chocolate and coke is the fastest hit. I think it was after a busy day that I spin out a bit (feeling weird/giddy) and would normally reach for the "relaxant". But got through okay - a bit flat now though.

Keep strong Class and keep up the sobriety!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning Nov! Hey WTS, I hear you, I struggle with the same issues especially what's been left behind. I've avoided some people I used to talk to on almost a daily basis. We have a holiday party to go to tomorrow night and my mind has been racing about it. It's in our neighborhood and we have many friends here that don't know I'm off alcohol. Hopefully again it won't be as big a deal as I'm making it out to be.

Good luck this weekend Si. I've actually found that some of my oldest buddies are the ones that are easiest to talk to about this. Not saying that will be the same in your case, that's just my experience.

Day 41

Kernie
Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates, good to see some people back on here today...I was starting to worry.

Rosco-Glad to hear you are doing well..I hear you on the sugar thing...I also need to cut down.

WTS- way to fight through the tough times..glad you are back.

Si- good luck this weekend...I don't know if I'd be ready for that...I like the idea of meeting somewhere other than a bar.

Nat- that number is getting quite large...keep stacking.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Coop-Day 35....5 WEEKS!!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Just checking in... It's great to hear of everyone's success! Keep it going!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Do they know you've 'retired'?
D
One or two of them do, but I don't expect the others will mind too much. To be honest, social pressure is not something that concerns me too much. Boredom, on the other hand, is what I'm finding tricky.

Three weeks yesterday! Keep up the good work gang.

SD are you still around? How you getting on?

cheers guys

Si
Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning class,just checking in to say have a great and sober Friday!
Si, I'm with you....SD if you are lurking at all, check in if you can.

Day 36
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Boredom...yep. I'm with you on that one for sure. It was always easy to have a few (a few too many) when I was bored.

Kernie - 41
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Si23 View Post
One or two of them do, but I don't expect the others will mind too much. To be honest, social pressure is not something that concerns me too much. Boredom, on the other hand, is what I'm finding tricky.
I thought that boredom would be a trigger for me when others are drinking, but so far it hasn't played a large role in my temptation. I get very wound up when I go to parties now. Some of that is all the coffee I carry around, but some is just pent-up energy from my mind whirling with thoughts and cravings. It's okay for me to be that hyper at college parties, but I could see it being an issue in other situations. Do you know what the atmosphere will be like with your drinking buddies? Are you going to a bar, restaurant, someone's house? It's easier for me if I can move around.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Class of Nov. 2010,
Looks like everyone's doing great with the early holiday parties - I had one last weekend and one tonight.

Day 33 here - still strong and sober!! Not drinking tonight - driving the wife and 3 kids - excellent excuse to not drink.

Getting close to a personal best (34 days sober) - need to make it through next weekend and then smooth sailing.

Everyone have a great weekend - stay strong and sober - Jack