Notices

Members with less than 2 weeks Welcome-Part 14

Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is my first honest shot at sobriety, and having read that so many (most?) people seems to relapse before "getting it". Am I destined to fail since it's my first shot?
I'm one of the ones who believes relapse is part of the active addiction, not of recovery. Recovery's a different animal.

I relapsed hundreds of times over 15 years - weekly at least, sometimes more.

Since coming here tho - since committing myself to staying sober, promising to reach out when I was in trouble and work hard at this, and never again think of a drink as viable option, I have nigh on 4 years sober.

If an all day every day drinker (of many years standing) like me can do that, anyone can

Just for today all of us here can stay sober, ya know?

D
Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Tomarrow will be day 12. I watched movies cleaned and have been on sr this morning for 3hrs and tonight going on an hour. I like what Least said..."I don't see sobriety as a destination but as a journey itself" It helps you think enjoy one day at a time and stop counting each day. When you look back and count every once in awhile we may be surprised at how far we've come. right?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hello everyone - checking in!

I've relapsed many, many times but I didn't have that missing thing part that was essential to staying clean - SR. It's exercise for me, coming here, learning, sharing, reinforcing and hopefully, helping. In the past, I would forget that I had a problem. It doesn't take long! Before I got up this mornng, I had to think hard as to what it felt like getting up being sick with a hangover. I got up at 6am this morning and it's a Sunday (I tried to sleep in but couldn't). What I don't know is whether I will have to do this "exercise" for ever. But today is today and for Eckhart Tolle "The Power of Now" fans, reality is right now not the past or the future. As Slipperyknot says, go outside and breath the air.

There is a lot to learn on this site - my trap seems to be quite common here - get confident, think you have control and the little voice tells me it's okay to have that shiraz. I deserve it because I've worked hard. No. No. No.

So, today, I'm reading that we are all good. Let's try out best to stay that way!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I wanted to post this - it's from MickInMd and he's from the Class of October 2010 thread (see page 15). I'm sure he wont mind me doing this - it's certainly helped me. Mick got to 45 days - he's okay and is getting straight back to sobriety.

I realize that I was getting a bit complacent and letting some old thoughts and issues start to dominate my thinking over the last couple of weeks, and I know that played a big role in my setback. I'm going to do my best to resume all the good things I was doing -- positive thinking, positive actions, dealing with issues, etc. -- so that I can stay on the right path. That desire to drink is a sneaky, insidious little bugger, and I realize I can't let my guard down even for a second.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've fallen a bit behind on this thread....due to puter problems.
No...I did not return to drinking...but it's been a difficult
time being in SR withdrawals.

Special congratulations to least...
The first of many years to enjoy!

To everyone who is moving along....
keep up the positive direction
Old 12-12-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Carol - we missed you!
glad you saw off those PC gremlins

D
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Cultivating Sobriety

I just wanted to throw my hat into the under 2 week club, I posted an intro in the "Newcomers Forum". Lot's of reading in this thread, so far tons of good posts. I am on day 3 here, good to be here
Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm one of the ones who believes relapse is part of the active addiction, not of recovery. Recovery's a different animal.
Thanks for that Dee. I had not thought of it that way, but it makes sense that relapse is part of active addiction, not part of recovery.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi Alien - welcome to the group. Congrats on day # 3!!

I am on day #10 and hope to have many, many more. Stay with us here - lots of good information, support and inspiration!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our sobriety group Alien! Well, one of our groups... there's also different threads for different time periods. Feel free to get all the support you can get here.

Betterlife, relapse is most certainly NOT part of recovery but a part of the illness of addiction. I think the reason I relapsed so many times was that I had changed very little in my life besides just 'not drinking'. A complete attitude adjustment was necessary for me to fully embrace sobriety as a way of life. And since changing my attitude I've found that I have no desire to drink for any reason. And as I said before, counting my blessings makes me want to stay sober whereas counting my miseries made me want to drink.

So no, Betterlife, you don't have to relapse if you make the changes necessary to live a happy sober life. (((hugs)))

Good to see you back Carol!! I've missed your helpful input and encouragement.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Welcome Alien!

I've just come back from yet another christmas bbq get together. 2 x ginger beers for me (not alcoholic) and no one asked me why I wasn't drinking. Apart from getting a little frustrated because when we decided to leave, it took forever! But very pleasant and yes, at the moment, it's like riding a bike - I'm getting really used to it. I get the odd "wobbly bit", it's sort of like the "little voice" wants to get on it's perch and start talking to me but then it goes.

Hi CarolD - good to see you have sorted your computer problems!

Northland - great posting particularly the one about thinking about how good you feel when you're about to get out of bed BUT then remember how bad it felt being hungover. That will be a great daily practice.

Slipperyknot, betterlife4me, bochuck, Bigred95 and everyone else, stick close and tight and keep strong! All the best for today!

Rosco.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

thanks NumberOne

So, today is 7 days for me. 1 week. I've been here who knows how many times, usually between this time and another week is where I typically relapse.

I feel different this time though. I've really been working on gaining new perspectives, and questioning the reality I've been living, which is hardly a reality at all. I feel like I'm coming out of a daze, it's like alcohol has had me mildly sedated for the last 10 years of my life. Alcohol has oppressed me, and has had me in it's grips. Even this early into sobriety, I can't help but keep saying the word "freedom" to myself, over and over and over. I'll be going along with my daily tasks, and all of a sudden I'll start smiling to myself, and a happy little voice will say "You're free, alcohol no longer controls you" . And I keep smiling, as if I just discover the secret to life

And you know what, for me, this is the secret to my life. I think this is a combination and a culmination of everything I've learned over the years. I dunno, I can't even explain how I am feeling this time around. I feel giddy. In the past I'd feel hopeful . This time I don't even feel hopeful. I'm beyond that. I feel convinced. My HP has taken control of my life as of right now. That's the only way I can explain this all
Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hey all, Great to be here. Day 8?!?

I had a splendid time at the party last night, everyone was drinking but I had my fabulous concoction of soda water, cranberry and lime squeeze. I had about 6-7, kept leaving them places so that was about my consumption level except instead of wine it was these great drinks. By the end of the night I had 5 more people drinking them to sober up because they were so fabulous, not trying to but they just wanted to know what I was drinking.

I did recognize that I get bored and didn't know enough people to start up conversation so I got another big plate of food and sat in the biggest comfiest chair and sat and ate and people watched. It seemed easier then I thought but that's doesn't mean it is going to get hard.

This morning I had a really tough time with my daughter, she came home drunk last night. If I had been drunk I wouldn't have noticed, if I had been hung over I wouldn't have handled things well today. Sobriety is helping me be there more for my daughter.

Welcome Alien, hi everyone. First weekend down. Feeling that freedom, knowing I can't say relapse because relapse to me is definielty part of the addiction. I will end up with lumps on my head, bruises all over my body and another soaked mattress, might lose eveyrthing this time. Not worth it.

Keep strong for yourself! Turn on some holiday music, make some cookies, decorate or go for a walk. Life is great today. Almost Monday!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Alien

D
Old 12-12-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

hi guys greta to see you all doing well.welcome all new faces.completed the santa run to day legs are hanging off me but was a good laugh,day 20,can i say that again 20,hahah feels good guys,fare play rosco,dont be chewing on that permint bark nowslippery knot i got christmas do sat coming up so well done on what you did ther eim all for the soda water.least keep it up buddy,northland.bigred.alien better lfefor me.guys this is a great thing we are doing,not just helpingourselfs vut also the one swe love,xxxxkeep it real guys.stay sober and we,ll get everything we want.cheers for suport carol and deexx
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

chrissyk's day 12

I don't know if it's just me but it seems like my husband is extra grumpy. Last Sunday was a struggle because as a family we usually go to a neighborhood bar and watch the Giants play football. Last week I asked him to stay with me because I was so very new and I shouldn't go with him to the bar.
This Sunday I left the decision completely up to him and he was going to met his daughter at the bar to watch the game. I was going to stay home and make cookies. The first thing he told me this morning was, "that the Minnisota Mall of America's roof had broken because of snow. So the game between the Giants and Minnesota Vickings had been canceled for the day. And did I pray that it would be canceled?"
He has been a grump all day but I am still sober.
Let's all keep up the good work.
Chrissyk
Old 12-12-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Alien......Congratulations on your early sobreity
Welcome to our Yes! you can crew....

Please let us know if you have questions on anything
Old 12-12-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry your hubby is grumpy, Chrissy - I think it's hard for all concerned to adjust to sobriety, both us and our loved ones.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

chrissyk.....
Wow! your husband must think you aare a very powerful woman
Did you send the dusting of snow today near my Atlanta area?

Football and bars were a large part of my drinking history too.
I waited 3 sesons before I felt comfortable about going to
a bar for the games. I was single...so perhaps you won't find
it necessary to wait so long...you will have another person
to assist you in your sobriety.

I now prefer to stay home with Ice Tea and for games.
Some of my fellow AA members go as a group and others
meet at homes for watching.
Go Falcons.....

Well done on your progress!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
Great to read your stories of success! It's very heartwarming.

Welcome chrissyk!

Irish - that 10km in santa suit - I'm still trying to work out how that is possible! Well done and well done for continuing to stay sober!

Northland - I had to read your post twice. I'm going to have to read it again. I'm not exactly sure I understand but it does sound like you've gained some really big realisations - they almost sound euphoric!

Well done everyone - lets keep going, keep learning, keep growing.

Rosco.