# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

June 2010 Sobriety Group Pt 3

old part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-21.html

D
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool! Good morning! On Day 7. Busy week and off to work very soon. After coffee first, of course

So I just texted my friend and told him that I needed to chill and wasn't planning anything for a while and am on Day 7 without alcohol. I hope he understands. I just don't have any room in my brain for much else right now and as Dee said, I just want to hang out with myself and get to know myself better.

I actually think I'm meeting a (female) friend tonight to catch up after I go to a boy scouts meeting. She said she is going to meet me in her workout clothes after working out, so I will suggest something like coffee or a place without alcohol. She and I are going to run in a 10K together next weekend. Now that is the kind of stuff I need to be doing!!!

Off to my day....
Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you TJ and congrats on day 7! I hope she decides to meet you some place that doesn't serve alcohol. May I suggest if she doesn't agree to that, that you refuse to go? Early sobriety is a delicate thing. Would hate to see you throw away a week of sobriety. I know it is hard, but we have to be willing to do ANYTHING to stay sober. Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks bdiddy. Yes, I think with her all sweaty and in workout clothes we won't be going to a bar

So I have the new iPhone and just did a search on "sober" apps. A bunch popped up but I picked two that looked interesting to me. One is a free one that tracks the time since your last drink down to the minute, second, hour, day, month, year...Well it's not completely accurate since I did not put the time of my last drink in, but right now it's showing 7 days, 22 minutes, 53 seconds. So pretty close. I really like this app because I love my iPhone and have it with me all the time. I hope to draw strength from this when times are tough.

The other app I bought for $0.99 has in inspirational quote a day related to being sober. I have yet to see if this is good. But heck, I pay $0.99 for things all the time (like songs on iTunes) so it's not a huge investment.

Sorry, I'm really into gadgets and they get me motivated!!!

Hope everyone is good today.

Laura
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey TJ that was perfect What you said to friend. Also 1 week!! 1 more to go for record. I know you can do it. I can you are running the 10k. I can't even run to the mailbox! LOL.

So here is a funny story.. 2 days ago X put in child proofing outlets in playroom/nursery,the kind that you just push in. So i was sitting on my floor in bedroom talking to my Grandmother, half watching her. The playroom/nursery is adjacent to my room.)
She walks up to me stops right in front of me, turns her hand down and both outlet covers fall in my lap. And the look on her face was like who's in charge now huh? HUH? Thats right momma don't you forget it. WTH? Hilarious made my day!

Anyway Day 30 here or 1 month (Jasper) lol

Luv you guys!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, Beth - Congratulations on Day 30.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Lyddie, time flies huh?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations TJ on your week, and to you Beth for your month - both awesome

D
Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, 30 days already??? That is AWESOME!! How do you feel?

Funny story about your daughter. I remember trying to childproof everything in the house and the kids would just figure out ways around, or other things to get into Clever kids they are.

I actually decided to bail on my friend tonight. I was at work today and feeling very tired and decided to cancel on her and tell her I was tired (I am). Turns out she has a cold so just as well. And we are running in this 10K together a week from Sunday so we can catch up more then. She is one of my divorced friends so we always have "stuff" to talk about.

So this app on my iPhone (Sobertime) I figured out that if I uninstall it, and then reinstall it at the exact time of day as my last drink (I'm going to say 11:00 pm) then the sober time will be much more accurate. Don't mind me, I'm just a math geek who likes to have everything precise. I'm actually excited about this for some unknown reason! There's another similar app that is not free (costs about $2.99) that I will check into as well. I used to routinely drop $15 on a bottle of wine so it's funny I'm being so critical about the costs of these apps. LOL.

So I'm off to a Boy Scouts information meeting. My two sons are interested in doing this, so we'll see what the commitment is. I had dinner already: 0% fat plain Greek yogurt, a Power Bar, raw carrots and Diet Pepsi. Sounds delicious, doesn't it? The good thing about that meal is that it doesn't even come close to making me think of wine!

I'll check in later.... can't wait to get my Sobertime app all set up. You guys must think I'm nuts!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alexvt View Post
Thanks Lyddie, time flies huh?
I knew you could do it and I really really felt like you had really decided this time to make it work. I am so glad for you.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Lyddie, almost made me cry
Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey TJ, Thank you. My X is the same way about his Tech stuff. He actually has a studio in the house, full of stuff I haven't a clue about. You guys would have a ball. lol

So what does 30 days feel like...hmm feels like acceptance. Not as giddy as I have been, more somber. I am very happy but it's still kind of like losing a friend. It's like I got in a fight with my best friend and you realize you have outgrown them. It's very peculiar.

I also feel very positive, and in control of myself. I have my bad days(yesterday) but then morning comes and because I am sober the possibilities are endless. I realize I really was a drunk. It wasn't pretty, and I never want to regress.

I have come to terms with the finality of it all.

Life is too short too miss out on even one day of it.

Those are my thoughts on my 30th day
Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love Greek yogurt. It comes in flavors also and is really good with fruit and/or granola. We use it a lot for cooling also. Anything that calls for sour cream we use that instead. Much healthier and tastes "almost" just as good.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yep! Greek yogurt is good stuff!!!

I'm back from my meeting about Cub Scouts. Really nice group of people. I ended up signing up both of my boys for Cub Scouts. We shall see how it goes. The first camping trip is in a week and a half and I don't even own a tent. This should be interesting!! I'm trying not to get stressed out . Everything will work out.

Interesting words on your Day 30 Beth. I enjoyed reading them. I have no idea how I will feel when (if?) I get to 30 but would like to try and see. Then report to you all.

I'm actually not really struggling with alcohol at the moment. I know it can sneak up on you unexpectedly, so I'm on guard.

So it's getting close to the time when I re-program my iPhone with 7 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds since my last drink. I'll do it at 11:00 pm. And I hope to get good night's sleep tonight. Did not sleep all that well last night. Hoping for a better night tonight. Good night!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey TJ your cracking me up with that iphone app. Not the app itself just how happy it makes you. I am glad though you have something it's exactly like my dry eraser calendar and all the x's I put through each sober day, only my way is very OLD school! haha!

Your doing great TJ and Cub Scouts sounds fun. I love to camp(haven't been since I was a kid.) I don't know why but I always picture you with 2 girls, even though you always say boys. Thats got to be a handful.

Oh I've been meaning to tell you TJ, in all the years of Project Runway I have yet to miss a season. Love it!!

Lyddie, Jasper whats new with you? Or old?

Have a Great night all. You too Dee!!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Yes, Beth I'm very silly about stuff like that (the iPhone app). I can see the appeal of the white board and crossing out days with x's. I have 3 white boards already in my kitchen and I use them to organize all sorts of stuff. The problem is that my kids like to erase stuff and write all over it, too, so I think I'll stick with my iPhone app. It's sooooo cool!

So Beth, I actually do have one daughter and 2 sons. My daughter is the oldest (6th grade), the two boys are in 2nd and 3rd grade. They all have their own challenges, but I love them all. I also have a dog, who is my 4th child (and a very loveable little guy at that!)

I'm actually going to look into buying a tent this weekend. I do love camping, too, and I'm kind of excited to look at them. The Cub Scouts idea is definitely a good one for my younger son -- he will fit right in and will love it. My older son has some special needs so it's going to be a "we'll see" type of deal. I'm kind of excited about this!!!

So I have to work today and stop at the library for books for my kids on the way. Will check in later.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

p.s. Project Runway is an AMAZING show! My daughter and I watch it together. She's a very grown up 11 year old
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

p.p.s. What I like about the iPhone Sobertime app is that it's WITH ME ALL THE TIME. I can look at it whenever I feel like it - whether I'm at work, out with friends, driving my car or wherever.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think my iPhone is my HP
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
I think my iPhone is my HP
Hahaha! Whatever gets you through the day. lol