Notices

30 Days and Under -Part 3

Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 24 but had a close call a few days ago.

My wife had to go out of town over night and I was left to my own devices. I was at the grocery store and found myself in the beer & wine isle (which I had been walking right by without a second thought for the last three weeks). Seemingly out of nowhere I was blindsided by the strongest urge since I quit. They had my brand of beer on sale and I thought to myself "I'll just get a six pack, order a pizza and watch the Mon. night football game". The craving was so strong my palms were sweating! Part of my brain was saying "just keep walking you can always come back" and another part was saying "don't think about it, just grab it and go".

In the back of my mind I knew if I bought 6 then I would be back in a couple of hours buying a case and then I would be back to square one. No way I want to go through withdrawls again or dissapoint my wife and family so I was able to fight it off. Came home and took a long walk and then spent several hours on SR. I did watch my game but without the pizza. To me pizza and beer go togeather like coffee and cigs. (quit smoking 11 years ago).

Man we got to be prepared for them blindsides! I am not very religous but it might be time for me to ck out AA and find a sponcer.

YT
Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good for you Yellowtail I am going through some really intense craving moments myself. Day 21 and I am feeling stronger each time I chase the addict voice away.

Alone time is hard for me, I would always drink Friday night when my hubby doesn't get home till later and my sons are out. Gotta find new routines that's for sure.

Take care,
IMT
Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Phew I'm glad you got through that yellowtail - and you too IMT - home alone seems to be a trigger for a lot of us.

I think it's a great idea to get as much support as possible tho

If you feel you need more support please do try AA...it's pretty much everywhere I think.....if you decide it's not for you, try something else like SMART or LifeRing...there's a lot of face to face support groups out there

D
Old 09-18-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Day 7........wonder how many day 7's I've had.....
makes me sad to count.
but happy I have another chance to have another one I guess.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reckon the only days that really count is the one and the ones ahead Krista

D
Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Day 22...actually read a whole book this weekend, haven't been able to just relax and read during the day. Well, to be honest it was the booze and the anxiety and shame afterwards that was robbing me of relaxing.

It feels amazing to be present and sober...

IMT
Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It feels amazing to be present and sober...

Agreed! Add to that, feeling so 'free'! Free of anxiety, lies, wasted time, risk, and finally free of the self hatred that was eating me alive.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Soooo true least, it is wonderful to be anxiety & shame free...

Day 23, feeling strong and positive. It's amazing how great the weekends are without AL, lots of R & R and still going out but without the next day anxiety. If nothing, feeling free will keep me AF.

ttyl,
IMT
Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

well I took a couple days off work last week - as getting through the first week is much better handled at home then at work.

but today I have to go back. and I'd rather just lay on the couch and NOT go. I wish some energy would come back. I know it doesn't happen over night - but I sure wish it would!!!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

You're right Klynn, energy will come back and when it does it's amazing.

Day 24....can't believe it the most I've done is 4 years woohoo....

Have a great sober day,
IMT
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm new to this thread, I've gone 15 days without drinking. Been smoking cigarettes again, gotta stop that. It's expensive and I have bad sinuses so it gives me a headache. You would think that would be enough motivation there.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Welcome shegirl, I've been following your progress on the 2week & under thread, congats on making it here!

I am not an expert but when my brother went into rehab for cocain addiction he was advised to not to try quitting both the cigs and drugs at the same time. Doing both at the same time may lessen his succes at quiting the more harmful habit.

27 days sober
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hehe - goofy me - I just found this thread!

Leo here, grateful for being given another day to admire this beautiful world we live in.

Today is #21, my fav number!! Got a goup tonight and can't wait to go!

I can't believe I never saw this thread! LOL
Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shegirl View Post
Hi! I'm new to this thread, I've gone 15 days without drinking. Been smoking cigarettes again, gotta stop that. It's expensive and I have bad sinuses so it gives me a headache. You would think that would be enough motivation there.
I am finding that when we are out I am having a cig or three. I know it's a coping mechanism right now and not worrying too much about it. The time will come when I don't need that crutch.

Welcome to those just joining, it's a great thread.

IMT
Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Day 25...so close to reaching the 30 mark, I know I will make it.

How is everyone doing??

IMT
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Day 23 for me - right behind ya Itsmytime. Day 30 is on the horizon - but I won't let my guard down just yet! lol
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi! Thanks yellowtail, smoking cigarettes never got me into any trouble but drinking has. It was really nice last night, my husband went out, and that used to mean that i would put my daughter to bed and start drinking cause I had the place to mysef practically, but last night was different. I was in the moment hanging out with my daugther, I let her watch a movie in my room and stay up alittle later. My friend from across the street stopped by for a few to borrow a pair of shoes. And since i wasnt drinking and looking forward to drinking alone, I didnt mind. Then i just hung out in my room and watched Will and Grace and dvd. And smoked a few cigarettes.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and hugs to all for their progress!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - the ball is still rolling! Working on #24 today! Hope everyone is feeling fine and dandy today and grateful for something today. I know I am!!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For everyone.......

Forward we go...side by side