Notices

Members with less than 2 weeks-Welcome! Part 12

Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Smile Just Starting

I joined this community today and unfortunately cannot say that I've had a sober day yet. But tomorrow is a new day and feel that the time I've spent on this forum has provided me with the positive motivation to give up drinking AGAIN!

I guess once you're an alcoholic there is no such thing as a social drinker. Although, over the last several months I could walk into a bar and get a cold beer then go on home and think nothing of it. But this was not every day either, so I guess I was a temporary social drinker. I work outside and as most of you know, that cold one is refreshing. But just recently I got to the point that the "cold one" is needed to work off the shakes.

Finally, I am so glad I found this site and all you swell people!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
Got through work today and now Day 10 is coming to an end.
I had a few random thoughts today of wine but nothing that stuck in my brain for too long.
I worry that I will have one of those days when that switch in my brain clicks off and I decide to drink without struggling with the thoughts. I just do not want to start over again.
I feel ya. I worry about that "oh yeah, beer, makes perfect sense" moment too. Im afraid I wont recognize it till its the next morning.

Congrats on day 10. Seemed like it took FOREVER for day 10 to get here. Now I am on 15 and those 5 went a lot quicker. Thanks for hanging in there with us.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cat

I think a lot of us could maintain the illusion of control sometimes - that's what makes the possibility that we might be alcoholic so hard to swallow....and so we keep looking for that control....

But - it was an illusion... at least for me.

I failed to control myself a lot more times than the times I managed to do it...I think now? those 'successes' were blind luck.

And seeing as alcoholism is progressive...they got fewer and fewer....

I know for a fact it was a spin of the roulette wheel really - there were many times when I needed to keep control and just have that 'one' and walk away - and I couldn't.

D
Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
HFA

Graduate

Oh yeah, today is day 15 for me, so I get to blow this Popsicle stand. I'm outta here, gone, making like a tree and leave, making like a banana and split, not gonna let the door hit me where the good lord split me, see you latter alligator, after while crocodile. Give me 3 steps mister, as I'm headed for the door....

Seriously, thank you all for getting me thru this first two weeks. Its been a challenge, but you have made it possible.

Ill keep checking in to this thread as I think it is a very important thread, but I do hope to NEVER come back as a full fledged less then two weeker.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by HFA View Post
Oh yeah, today is day 15 for me, so I get to blow this Popsicle stand.
I'll see you in six days

My wife and daughter came home from their holiday yesterday. My wife had no clue what I've been up to...all I told her was that some "ground breaking things" had been going on while she was gone. She thought I had done some serious renovating on the house. Was she ever surprised that it was me that got renovated!!!!

My daughter is enjoying her energetic ready to play after work dad too.

Life is good & getting better.

Learning to stop and take deep breaths when I get that jangly, scattered, edgy feeling, and to change the subject in my head when it drifts into thoughts of beer which thankfully doesn't happen very often.

I've been offered several beer by family members, but have easily turned them down. As it stands now I don't think I'll tell anybody else than my wife about quitting. I'm curious to see how long it'll take them to figure it out.

Thanks for being here everybody...it's good not having to walk this walk alone.

Murray
Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That is so awesome Murray!

Reading these posts makes me so much more inspired to my sobriety!

Hey! I thought I was going to bed a while ago....... Guess I enjoy reading these posts from you guys!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just closing out Day 11 here... feeling pretty sorry for myself as I have a nasty bug, completely lost my voice and aching all over. No desire to drink but am annoyed that I need painkillers (just paracetamol) because I've been trying my best to give the poor old liver a rest and nurture it with good things, and now I'm loading it up with painkillers.

I might go on a green smoothie/juice fast for a few days once I've shaken this bug, to make up for it.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HFA View Post
Congrats on day 10. Seemed like it took FOREVER for day 10 to get here. Now I am on 15 and those 5 went a lot quicker. Thanks for hanging in there with us.
Thanks HFA and Congratualtions to you for graduating from this thread. I intend to be right behind you by Saturday. And it is good to know that after 10 days that the days go quicker.

Larkspur - that green smoothie fast sounds interesting. Let us know if you do do it.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

cat......Thanks for joining our Daily Support group
Welcome.....
Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

New July 10 freshman

Hi everyone,

I'm newly alcohol free. I've been reading on this site for over a year but just joined. I quit on July 2 and made it for 7 days and then broke again. I'm sober for one day and working on my second night again tonight. I wish it wasn't so hard to quit. 5 pm- 9pm is the absolute hardest time for me. I white knuckle it through that time and feel very unstable. After 9 pm it's smooth sailing with my tea. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks much for this wonderful site. Everyone is so supportive.......
Old 07-13-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

HFA......your always welcome to check in here
this was hilarious ....amazing how sobriety lifts our spirits!
Oh yeah, today is day 15 for me, so I get to blow this Popsicle stand. I'm outta here, gone, making like a tree and leave, making like a banana and split, not gonna let the door hit me where the good lord split me, see you latter alligator, after while crocodile. Give me 3 steps mister, as I'm headed for the door....
Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonbon3 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm newly alcohol free. I've been reading on this site for over a year but just joined. I quit on July 2 and made it for 7 days and then broke again. I'm sober for one day and working on my second night again tonight. I wish it wasn't so hard to quit. 5 pm- 9pm is the absolute hardest time for me. I white knuckle it through that time and feel very unstable. After 9 pm it's smooth sailing with my tea. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks much for this wonderful site. Everyone is so supportive.......
Yeah, 5-8pm is my trouble time. Once I get home, and have dinner on and a glass of juice and sparkling mineral water in my hand, though, I'm home free. Can you try making dinner earlier or even doing something crazy like I've been doing and fixing a little bowl of chocolate icecream as a 'cheer up' treat around 5.30? I find having food in my stomach helps a lot.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

hi guys just dropping back to give you some words of encouragement

I am now 8 months sober & my life is sooooo much better for it. I received the top marks in my class this semester in my course, i have moved in with a wonderful woman & although my life is much quieter it is much happier & more manageable. i no longer suffer horrifc hangovers & feelinhg of self loathing guilt remorse shame saness. My health has improved & i finally have my life back.

I was in this thread 8 months ago & can identify with alot of what is being currently said. The first couple months are SO HARD! but if you push through there is a better life awaiting you...trust me...what you are all doing is so great & worthwhile...stick with it!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear all that nouble !
D
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Im gonna keep reading this one - not much to say today.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Jo

D
Old 07-13-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For those with particular 'trigger' times. Occupy yourself during those times. Lots of people have found going to a meeting really helps soothe the craving time and gives them something positive to focus on. If not AA, just anything positive: working out, a nice walk/run, cleaning things, eating a good meal, anything outside your old routine to take your mind off drinking during 'those' times.

My trigger times were... mostly all day cause I drank all day... so I had to keep busy and stay focused on my sobriety. It's hard but it can be done. Keep at it. The best is yet to come!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome to our Daily Support group

Bonbon3.........Jo.....
Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

DN......Wow!

Thanks for sharing your awesome progress with us
Blessings to you and your lady
Old 07-14-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Day 10 report;

We went out to a friends house for dinner last night, and this time I was the designated driver for my wife (she only had two ciders all evening).

When I've been designated driver in the past, I was a mess...I couldn't stay involved in conversations, I would fidget and be antsy all evening, and would have been dropping hints to leave early so I could hit the beer and wine store before it closes.

A couple weeks ago was a typical dinner out at the same friends house for me. I took my six pack of ciders (7% alcohol), had two or three beer from the hosts fridge (5.4% alcohol), and bought another six pack on the way home which I couldn't finish because I passed out.

Tonight I had no trouble at all. It's as if there was a line in my life, and there was no need, no desire to cross it. Whatever it is, I hope it stays with me forever!

One weird thing though...have you ever noticed how freaking long it takes social drinkers to go through a beer - 90 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd never noticed that before because I would have been outpacing them at least 3 to 1. No wonder I used to be the only one slurring his words and stumbling out the door at the end of the evening.

First big hurdle jumped clean. Wary of the next one...

Murray