Notices

June Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Wow! We just had an EARTHQUAKE! I thought i was just dizzy! LOL! 5.9 Crazy!

XO
Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alexvt View Post
Wow! We just had an EARTHQUAKE! I thought i was just dizzy! LOL! 5.9 Crazy!

XO
No Damage where i am
Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Alexvt - glad you are ok. I am up in Santa Barbara - didn't feel the quake here.

Day 5 is coming to an end - still doing ok.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Hi HFA!
I would love to hear more about the SMART program if you'd like to share about your experiences after the meeting. Melinda.
Went to the meeting. Lasted about 50 min. 6 guys sitting around a conf table in a small room. Each person talked about how their week went. One guy I guess came back for the first time in 6mo because he is nearing 2yrs this month and came into some money and is afraid of using again.
Over all it was a "how do you feel " session. I was looking for something a little more structured that my analytical brain could relate to. It wasnt a bad experiance, just not what I thought it would be. I will go back next week and see how it goes again.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Glad you survived the Earthquake, Alex!!! The one time in my life I was in LA there was an earthquake. And it was a big one, too. The one in Whittier? The year might have been 1987 or 1988? Anyway, it was a wild experience. Glad you're okay.

HFA - thanks for letting us know about the SMART meeting. That sounds a lot like the way ours go. What I like about it is that each person really and truly gets a chance to share, unlike at AA meetings where there are often too many people for everyone to truly get a turn. You really get to know the people in the SMART meetings because they're smaller. Let us know it goes next time. I'm hoping to get to my Monday meeting next week but it depends on my ex's schedule. I'm totally reliant on him for help with the kids right now because I am "in between" au pairs.

My au pair that was living with us for the past year left this morning. The house feels so empty tonight. My kids are with their Dad and I went to yoga. At least I have my dog

I keep looking at different things of and thinking of her -- like the shredded mozzarella cheese she liked and how I would always buy that for her, the low calorie bread she requested, etc. It's so strange to feel her absence. Anyway, I will keep in touch with her and we are getting a new au pair (from Germany) later this month.

I'm excited for a good night of sober sleep. That is such a gift, isn't it?

It occurred to me tonight that alcohol is POISON, pure and simple! Night all!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi June group!

Gosh, I kind of fell out of the loop posting here with the group. I've missed it! It sounds like you are all doing really well.

I had a good, sober 4th of July. It was a test for me but luckily the friends that we were visiting are expecting a baby so I hung out with the pregnant wife, drinking sodas, watching vidoes on the screen we set up in the backyard, and complaining about our men.

It's great to see that everyone is doing so well. It's getting really late here so I'll post more tomorrow. Goodnight!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

GOOD MORNING!!! Glad to have you 'back' Melinda!

I'm right where I need to be and that is here with you all. Sober me is a good thing.

Let's make it a good day!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
HFA

Good morning to you to, TraderJane!!

And good morning to everyone. Day 11 for me. Let's all be safe out there. (Ive always wanted to say that.)

Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone.

I have completed Day 5 and today is the start of Day 6. I slept 9 hours last night. It felt like the sleep of the the dead so it's taking me some time to wake up this morning. But I feel very relaxed and very sane. It's kind of unusual to wake up feeling sane. Do you know what I mean?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning all
Day 21 here - 3 weeks!! Lyddie - waking up sane! nice way of putting it...my sleeping patterns are finally becoming more normal and it is amazing how much more refreshed I am beginning to feel. I used to drink to the point where when I hit the bed I was out in a second..has taken some adjustment, but now finally feel like I am getting REAL sleep. So nice.

Alex - Huge Redskins fan here too! I really love old town Alexandria..but mostly went there to DRINK. Glad you are ok with earthquake! Crazy
TJ - stay cool today - it's supposed to be not as hot...I hope!

Have a great day HFA, KC1, Melinda, Dee, and anyone else I missed!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hey all! Day 18 and finally got some really good sleep! 11hrs! Feel Awesome, Sleep is a huge factor in sobriety. So Congrats everybody on whatever day your on! Even 1 day is a an accomplishment! Glad you found your way back Melinda.
Today is going to be a Great Day!

XO
Old 07-08-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey all! Day 18 and finally got some really good sleep! 11hrs! Feel Awesome, Sleep is a huge factor in sobriety. So Congrats everybody on whatever day your on! Even 1 day is a an accomplishment! Glad you found your way back Melinda.
Today is going to be a Great Day!

XO
Ha! I meant day 19!!!! So scattered!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey June buddies, Just wanted to drop in and say hello and ask a favor. I need you all to lift me up because today I had one of my roughest days so far. I am nearing 4 weeks this weekend and up until now it has been fairly smooth, but it took every ounce of restraint I had to not go buy a 12 pack today.
I know what triggered it. I finally received a check for a project I started back in early April and by the time I paid all the bills the money was gone and I'm back in the red. I have owned my own business for 14 years and been successful up until the last couple of years. This economy is really starting to take its toll on me which I blame as one of the reasons I started drinking so heavily. I know its not the reason, but as an Alcoholic we have to have something to blame it on... right!.
Anyway, thanks for letting me rant and with your support I will make to my one month birthday and beyond.

Take care all, Marcus
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm doing okay. I got a lot done today, which always feels good. There is so much more to do, but it's a start. I dealt with some things today that I had been putting off -- boring things, regular things. It feels good to at least "chip away" at the things I need to get done.

I'm also feeling a little melancholy today. I know that I would have rushed to the wine store in the past to wipe away these bad feelings, but I do now realize that stupidity of that. By drinking and trying to erase any sad feelings you might have (which are normal and everyone feels them from time to time) you never get a chance to work it out, you numb it, you have a depressive drug in your system which ruins your next day and makes you do stupid things and makes you even more depressed. Isn't that pretty much how it goes?

So I'm just living with the feelings, it's okay -- as long as I'm sober I'll feel better in the morning after a good sleep. I know exercise would help, but I'm too full of pasta at the moment (that's what I made for my kids and me for dinner!)

The thing is, when I was younger, before I ever drank, I did get sad from time to time. And I got through it, without any drugs or alcohol. Different emotions are normal and we're not always going to feel perfectly happy all the time. So I'm re-learning a lot of this.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Laura
Old 07-08-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

(((Marcus)))... so sorry you're having a rough day! I hear you on the financial stuff. I just got a whopping credit card bill, looked at my bank account balance and thought, "How am I going to pay this?" Still don't know.

I really look up to you for getting to near 4 weeks. I have been unable to do that (yet). But am hoping to.

Please don't give up and drink. It won't help a thing. You'll feel so much worse in the morning. Do anything else now to get some frustration out, but don't drink. I'm saying this to myself as well.... would love to go for a run tonight or do some yoga. It would help my mood.

Hang in there... we're with you.

Laura
Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Marcus - Congratulations on one month! That's great. The financial situation does sound bleak but I am sure that you will be able to handle it better sober. Take care of yourself.

It's almost the end of day 6 for me. I have been trying to fly under the radar this week at work - just doing what needs to be done and not letting anything stress me.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Marcus -

Just remember - no situation improves when you add alcohol... My financial problems have not disappeared since quitting drinking - just brought my dog to the vet today and got a bill for $459.00...ouch! Definately living paycheck to paycheck here and almost fell behind in that a few months ago.. but I definitely deal with my financial issues more realistically and rationally when I am not drinking.. Congrats on all of your days! Don't give them up!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Super said it correctly about alcohol and finances. i was spending $180 a month on drinking. That's the same amount as my cable/internet and cell phone bill combined. I've saved a lot of money since I stopped.

I'm unemployed right now and don't have much in my checking account and* buying booze would only make that worse.

Oh boy this subject is bring back some memories of money and booze:
*digging through the change jar for quarters
*putting booze on a credit card
*checking my online bank statement and half the transactions were from the liquor store. Always the same amount too: $8.66
*Charles Shaw $2.99 each.
*Checking the tags in the store, you know the small print at the bottom that tells you how many cents per ounce? Always trying to get the best bargain.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:47 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is having a good day, I myself want to strangle my fiance..CAN't STAND HIM!!! UGH! Anyway had to get that out.. (like i said I would never hurt anybody)

Would love to down a bottle of vodka but won't..Got to take deep breaths today..
Hi Alex!

I can totally relate to the irritating significant other! Especially when we're sober. My first two weeks I think I channeled all my irritability at him like a laser. I'm still not sure exactly what it was, I guess a form of withdrawal? It's also funny because I maintain a very pleasant demeanor with my friends, coworkers, and people in public but when he gets home in the evening it's like my personality changes.

Oh I'm saying this with a laugh. It sounds like we both have pretty good guys.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
Good Morning everyone.

I have completed Day 5 and today is the start of Day 6. I slept 9 hours last night. It felt like the sleep of the the dead so it's taking me some time to wake up this morning. But I feel very relaxed and very sane. It's kind of unusual to wake up feeling sane. Do you know what I mean?
Hi Lyddie!

Great job on your six days. I've experienced the same thing when I wake up. I feel exhausted and look like a moose in the mirror. I thought that when I stopped waking up hungover I'd be like those morning people in commercials who wake up and stretch their arms with a beaming smile.

But come to think of it, I remember waking up every morning as a child and teenager grouchy and wanting to shoot lasers out of my eyes. So I guess I'm just back to my old self? :rotfxko

I too feel very relaxed and most of all, like you said, sane! Halleleuah. One of my favorite things is not having to apologize every day for stuff involving booze, whether it's buying too much, drinking too much, gettin mouthy, or worst case, apologizing for things I said/did that I didn't remember.

Now when I apologize it's for things I did/said sober and people accept it without the huge purple elephant standing next to us when I say "I'm sorry." The purple elephant is gone and now there is a halo over my head. :rotfxko