Notices

August Sobriety 2009 Part 10

Old 07-05-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Boy the 4th of July sure was great not looking at fireworks through the bottom of a beer bottle. They seemed brighter this year for some reason. Hope you all had a great 4th as well. Back to work tomorrow. Booooo. haha.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Zebra, do you have any plans for your week off?

Bdiddy...just think., this was your first sober 4th of July. Freedom from alcohol, hurray.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Actually ANEW, not to rub it in but I don't return to work until July 19th! My second week off won't quite be a vacation week, my wife and both daughters have a health issue (genetic) and we are heading out to the Mayo Clinic. It's a routine thing we do every few years, nothing serious but a life long condition to monitor. I'm sure we will end up at the Mall of America and do some damage to the credit card.

The past few days I've just been relaxing, and going to an AA meeting everyday (I've found a group I'm very comfortable with and I enjoy going to meetings). AA is really helping me deal with the other issues in my life. And I'm playing a lot of tennis. I've been taking group lessons this summer on clay courts and it is a blast. I'm also playing a match tomorrow with the men's travel team. I did get a compliment of sorts today, one woman in our group lesson was shocked to hear that this is the first summer I've played since high school. I've been playing well, hopefully I'll play well in my match tomorrow.

I'm just enjoying each 24 hour segment of my life as it comes. I feel so much better this summer, than last summer at this time.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Zebra- you will be pretty close to my neck of the woods when you are in Rochester/Minneapolis. I live 3.5 hours straight west of Minneapolis. Rochester is world renown for their hospital, and I hope everything turns out OK. How are things with your wife? Any improvements?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

bdiddy, I'd like to throw down the gauntlet, meet you half way in between, and let you try to beat me in tennis (but remember I'd be allowed to cheat since you are quite a bit younger than me). But alas, I don't think I will have time.

As far as the wife and I, I'm not so sure, it's a work in progress. She has always had the tendency to say very tough, hard things to people when she is angry or upset. Then later she might say something like "I didn't really mean that." I've known this since I met her, but last weekend was the worst it's ever been with me. In the past we have gotten along well, with maybe 2 or 3 arguements a year. I would like things to work out, but I'm not going to allow it to become a trigger to drink. Time will tell.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good Morning :)

Another busy day, but was thinking of you all while having coffee and wanted to wish you all a great day!

Love,
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hope it works out Zebra.

I spent the 4th sober too. And away from home, I was gonna go, but that wasn't going to work out. I survived though.

Yesterday was like a flashback of withdrawal or something. I didn't want to do a thing, just lay there and not eat or drink a thing either. I woke up better today, thank goodness. But yesterday was not fun. I was in a meeting, I just left. Ugh.

Anyways, so far, today's a good day, so *waves* hi y'all.

Take care,
TB
Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hello all....

Zebra, you are off until the 19th? Well, you take the slacker title away from Bdiddy then. I hope you enjoy your time off and have safe travels. Time will tell what will be for you and your wife...glad it isn't a trigger to drink though.

If you and Bdiddy do play tennis., I think we all should be there to watch!

TB-glad today is going better for you.

Breakfree...hope all is well in your world. So nice to see you back here with us.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Zebra- well since you can't make it, I can take this opportunity to tell you how badly I would wipe the court with you. Put a serious beating on you. haha. I don't think you should be allowed to cheat since I haven't touched a tennis ball in three years. I am sure I am as rusty as a ship at the bottom of the ocean. But if we can get Anew to fly up and watch the match, I will be there!

And gees Anew- giving out slacker titles now? OUCH! haha. And FYI- I put in an 11 hour day today. How is that for "slacking"?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Bdiddy...an eleven hour day. Lets see, Friday and Monday, zero hours, today eleven. So over the past three possible working days, you worked eleven. No slacking there. Heck, take tomorrow off.

I WOULD fly up there to watch you and Zebra play!!

If you all do play though, I think a small wager would need to be placed on who we think would win.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

bdiddy, after the way we played tonight I'm sure you would beat me. My doubles partner and I got smoked 6-1, 6-1, I did manage to hold serve twice to keep us from getting "bageled." It really didn't matter, these guys were that much better than us. It's about 93 degrees here today and we played indoors with no air conditioning. Someone said it was like playing in a rain forest it was so hot and humid.

As far as the wife saga, I don't know what to tell you. We've been having trouble with our gas stove. The electronic controls for the oven were apparently damaged in a thunderstorm before we moved in and they cause the oven to shut off a lot which makes baking anything a real challenge. We've talked about replacing it for a couple of years. Today my wife thought we should go shopping for a stove/oven thing since we both have the day off. She wants to upgrade our current stove and get one with a double oven, and a stove top griddle option. I'm a little confused. The D word fell out of her mouth a week ago and now she wants to be Suzy Homemaker? And to top it off, she wants to get the 5 year extended warrenty. I told her go buy the stove that we liked, get whatever warrenty she thought was appropriate, and that I'm gonna go get my butt kicked in tennis.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yes Anew, that would be an average of almost 4 hours/day. I am BEAT! Just saying I don't slack every day. hehe. So you really think I should take tomorrow off? Hmmm, maybe I will do that.

If you fly up, I will be there. Just saying.

That is interesting Zebra. Have you brought up how she mentioned divorce just a week ago? I hope things get better for you. I am sure it is uncomfortable walking on egg shells around your own home.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Zebra..Do you think she dropped the "D" word in a moment of anger? Sometimes I have been guilty of word vomit, where things just spill out of my mouth that I wish hadn't. I am in the midst of looking at myself and how I express myself to others, especially my DH. Everything changes in recovery. I don't fight change as much as I used to...

Bdiddy..when was the last time you played tennis? Zebra plays regularly..
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

OK ANEW, you fly up, we will find a fourth and play mixed doubles. That would be fun. There was somebody else in the original August group who also played tennis. Losing team buys the root beer.

ANEW, interesting expression, word vomit. That might have been part of it. And bdiddy, I did call her out on the mixed messages she is sending out. Part of me wonders if some off this is hormonal and she is entering menopause. We also have both been under a lot of stress lately, her job is as difficult as mine.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Zebra, as you and I are close in age, I can only share that women, my age can get rather hormotional. That said, even though biology does play a part, hormones, nor alcoholism give us carte blance with our words. Easier said then done.

We have to find healthy ways to deal with stresses and pressures of our lives at every age and stage of it.

OK..mixed doubles it is. Winners buy drink of choice..I am leaning toward an iced coffee.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

As I said before, I haven't played for three years. So if this is going to happen, I need at least a couple days to practice up. At least hit some serves. Zebra- I think it was TraderJane that also played tennis. Get her on board and let's do it up! My drink of choice will be a tonic water with a twist of lime. Yummmmmm!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Tennis would be fun. I love doubles. Too bad we all don't live closer together!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Dang, we've got a foursome and we are all 1000 miles apart.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Well shoot. Maybe have a mental game then? Or can we all hook our Nintendo Wii's up and play online? haha.

I just got an e-mail from my doctor inviting us to his home Friday night for a Long Island Iced Tea party?!?! Interesting. I guess when I told him I had quit drinking at my last physical he didn't know I was an alcoholic. I did tell him how much I had been drinking though, but had been three months sober when I went in to see him. In his defense we are friends and do socialize outside of our patient/doctor relationship. He has this party every year, and has invited us in the past. So, I will go and have a good time, sober. Just funny how the title of his e-mail was "Long Island Party". Some friends of ours are back in town so it will be fun to see them as well. He is now a trainer with the San Francisco 49'ers. Pretty sweet! Last year at this party my doctor friend was pretty buzzed and decided to take stitches out of a guests finger! haha. It was harmless, but pretty funny.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

OK...we just need to hook up our Wii's and get this match on!

The doctor got buzzed and took stitches out of someones finger...now, that is pretty funny. You know I was born and raised on Looonggg Island, and never heard of the Long Island Tea until I moved off of the island.