Notices

Class of May 2010 Part 2

Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Drac -what's cooler than being cool????? ICE COLD!!! Thanks OutKast lyrics..

Art - yes, there is another way to describe the weather - it is called walking into someone's mouth!!!!! LOL....I know, that is gross, but it makes me laugh because I am extremely immature

Okay, I have another addiction counseling appt today (psyched because it will be air conditioned!), I will let myself know how it goes here later

Stay frozen you otter pops!!!

xoxo Pork
Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

OH! Thanks for popping in BobGT and Margareth
Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
RGO

It is common sense to take a method and try it.
If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Had an OK day - nothing super great or super bad. But every day sober is a success, right?!
Reminds me of that anecdote from Tuesdays with Morrie where Mitch Albom asks a dying Morrie about his perfect day. Morrie lists a breakfast with sweet rolls, a morning swim, lunch with friends, a walk in the garden...

And Mitch Albom is a little disappointed. He expected Morrie to fly to Italy or have lunch with the President or try every exotic thing he could think of. How could Morrie find such perfection in an average day?

Then Albom realized this was the whole point.

There is something spectacular about a normal, sober day

RGO, cool quote. Persistence and willingness. FDR knew his stuff.

Pork, now that was a groovin' tune. Shake it like a Polaroid picture...
Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
SR Fan

there is another way to describe the weather - it is called walking into someone's mouth!
LOL!!! That is the perfect description, pork! Down around these parts, they have all these little sayings like "It's so hot, makes you wanna slap yo mama," or "It's so hot, makes a freight train wanna take a gravel road." Cracks me up! But, yeah it's that d* hot!

Draciack - I love Tuesdays With Morrie! Thanks for reminding me. What a wonderful way to see sobriety. I was thinking about something similar the other day: like how sobriety was like being a cancer patient because you get a reprieve and can appreciate life so much more. Over the past couple weeks I've been starting to lose that wonder and awe, though - I wonder how to keep that fresh and alive? I know it helps me to read newcomers posts..... Any suggestions? Maybe I should have wonder and awe that I can get through a day without wonder and awe....(@#^&!!)

Atlas - Hey, how's the job going? I'm all excited to here about it....

Good quote, RGO! You can be our "MayFlower Inspirational Coach Extraordinare!" I love those bits of wisdom - just one sentence is all it takes sometimes!

I woke up this morning at 7:15 today (which is good for me) and I'm looking forward to getting some stuff done today. Yea! But, I must say, I'm still dragging myself around a lot. Do y'all think exercise would help? I need more energy (already take plenty of vitamin B and drink coffee)

Have a great Thursday everyone! Thanks for being there for me!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Hey Mayflowers,

I finished reading “ Drinking, A Love Story” by Caroline Knapp and thought I’d give you a report. And I hated writing book reports when I was in school, lol.

I thought the book was good, but not great. Knapp did a good job of showing how drinking screwed up her thinking and her life. But she talked a lot about her boyfriends and her relationship problems. The relationship stuff would probably be more interesting to you lady Mayflowers, but I found it to be somewhat boring. I also wish she had written more about quitting drinking and staying sober. When she quit drinking, she stayed sober. I thought she skimped on the things she did to avoid relapsing.

But overall, the book was good, like I originally said. It is worth reading if you like to read.

And I just saw where she died from lung cancer a few years after she finished the book. Damn addictions!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Art, I lost a bit of that wonder and awe too...all of a sudden, waking up and going to bed sober by itself wasn't exhilarating anymore. But it's all part of the process, you know? I look at it like culture shock. Those first couple of months were all golden and sparkly and just not drinking was this amazing, inspirational, empowering thing. But that glow fades, as all new things do, and for me that's okay because that's just how it works.

I've still got that appreciation for sobriety and know that without it, I'd still be on a terrible path to an early grave. But it's more than not drinking. Sobriety gives me the opportunity to become a better person, form healthier relationships, experience new things. Instead of trying to recapture that early sobriety pink cloud (am I really talking about early sobriety like I miss those sleepless nights? ), I'm just going to do that next step.

Btw, you're like the guru for newcomers around here

Bob, the only parts of Drinking: A Love Story I just couldn't relate to involved her sex life and her eating disorders. I was like, "Huh?" Still a really, really good book though. So many times I put the book down, shook my head, and said, "Yep, that's exactly like me."

Alright, I'm out. Peace
Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well...I liked the Knapp book too - precisely because it wasn't all about her addictions.
The story of my life isn't all about my addictions either

but y'know...diff'rent strokes

D
Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!!! Just wanted to say hi.

I read Caroline's book twice (Drinking, A Love Story). The first time I read it I did not have a drinking problem. I read it in my 30's when I was FINE with alcohol. I remember thinking to myself, "Holy crap, she drinks a lot!" I actually knew her in real life (friend of a friend).

The second time I read it, just recently, it hit a little too close to home. I never did drink the amounts she talked of in her book, and I could NOT function as well the next day after drinking as she did, but I could relate to a lot of it (minus the eating disorders as well).

One story that really sticks out in my mind still is the story of her at a party getting drunk and wearing a little black dress. It occurred to her that she was appearing as a drunk woman not an intelligent woman, not an attractive woman, but a DRUNK woman. That was what she was and what others would see her as. That just really struck a chord with me. In any event, it's an awesome and useful book.

Well, glad you are all doing well!!!

Laura
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Howdy MayFlowers! (RGO, I like the sound of "lady MayFlowers" - almost like little Tinkerbells in the garden... oh yeah, that's me! haha)

Thanks RGO and Trader for the book review. I just got it a few days ago and haven't started it yet because I got a new computer game at the same time. It will be interesting to read it and see what I think. I may have to order Dry as well. I've heard that mentioned quite a bit around here.

Draciack - I appreciate the coaching - I needed it. I was worried about myself this evening because the thought of a glass of wine kept creeping in. Maybe I wanted to change things up or get some energy or forget about not having any energy, or something like that, and that automatic thought (alcohol) hasn't quite faded away yet.

I know I'm not going to drink because I don't want to go back to being miserable again. Maybe it's a phase......? I really am grateful for my sobriety. 100%, no doubt about it. I've just been a little nervous about it because people talk about being a dry drunk and that doesn't sound like much fun at all.

As far as being a guru - I wish!! I just spend more time here than most people can, I think. So let's see, a guru, or an SR addict?? I wonder which one it is, lol. Thanks, though! I really do like to encourage the newcomers (it helps me a lot, too)

Trader - thanks for bopping in and saying hello! I always enjoy your posts. I could just imagine the scene you related from the book: a little black dress on someone who can't quite walk. I'm sure I did that one, too! I'm still laughing about your post with the tiny little wine glasses! :rotfxko

Have a good day tomorrow everybody - you guys are the best!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Thanks! Great to hear from everyone makes me happy readings ya'lls posts.

My first day is monday--7:30 a.m. sharp! good stuff. I'm excited.

I'm reading Happy Hours: Alcohol in a Woman's Life, by Devon Jersild--the author is the sister of an alcoholic & interviewed doctors as well as may alcoholic women. I'm only on page 76 out of 323. The books' main purpose is to share the recovery stories of several women and the different effects alcoholism has on women (i.e. "Women metabolize alcohol differently from men, more quickly developing such physical complications as liver disease, high blood pressure, and hepatitis."). Here's an excerpt I like "[...] alcoholism cannot be reduced to any single precipitating factor---not a cluster of genes, or psychopathology, or a difficult family background, or a bad peergroup, or poverty or economics, or a culture of addiction. These factors may all come together to influence alcoholic drinking, ye none by itself is sufficient. Some patterns maybe typical, but the variables depend on the person. Perhaps more than any other disease, alcoholism challenges simplistic equations. It is both cause and effect. It is shaped by personal and social context, and it shapes that context in turn. The process is circular, and trying to fix a beginning is pointless." I reckon I like this because it reminds me of what we're dealing with.

Art- when I just now read you mentioning Dry, it struck a chord, I had seen this book before! This book has been sitting on my shelf, unread, for probably a year in a half. It came into my possession through books getting jumbled by past roommates in the moving process. I'll be cracking it soon. I am still having energy issues too, I am relieved to know that I am not the only one. I was actually asking a couple of people today that have a little over a year if they could remember back to only having a couple of months & what their energy levels were...one said he was still in rehab at 3 months and the other, well I don't remember what he said, I don't recall it answering my question though.

Anyhoo, hope you all are having a great night or day
nighty night from these parts
Old 07-09-2010, 03:29 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Exclamation Is that all there is??

Morning everyone! So nice to wake to so much input from everyone.

Art - interesting that you should bring up losing the awe and wonder... I spent part of my counseling session discussing an aspect of that. I read a post that said a person had reached like 150 days and was not excited - which led me to ask whether counting days was productive or harmful (I can see merits of doing both) - later I found this interesting link:

Alcoholism Discussions at DailyStrength: Why Count Soberity

and THEN it made me think of this:

YouTube - Peggy Lee -- Is That All There Is? 1969

AND THEN... I had to say that it all comes down to perspective. I don't count my days because the day that I stopped drinking I granted myself a new lease on life - not a sentence to count out for the rest of my days.

It was just a catalyst to start doing the things that I had always put off or thought that I wouldn't be interested in doing. It is an opportunity - do everything right - or as right as you can (heh-heh) -Relationships, projects at work and at home, taking up new interests, quitting smoking (!!!!!) exercising and getting to my goal weight.

Sobriety = freedom

You fought for it and now it is up to you to use it in the most constructive way!!!

SO when you think, it that all there is?? HELL NO!!!! There is so much more!!! Breaking out the booze DOES NOT make life worth living, never did and never will.

Get out there everyday to LIVE and LOVE

Be the best you can be and you will rarely be disappointed.

Big hugs to you all - you inspire me to be better all the time

xoxo Pork

Note: I am emotionally exhausted now
Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Great post, Pork! Thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I liked your post Porkchopped!!!

Artsoul -- LOL. I had forgotten all about my post on the tiny crystal wine glasses with minuscule amounts of wine in them at holiday dinners. Thanks for the laugh this morning!!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just thought I'd share a few thoughts that came on an email I got today. I need to turn around some of my thinking (thoughts of wine again today). I'm sure it's a thinking problem on my part. I want to start injecting some good positivity into the old gray matter. So here's what was in my email (after one of those mushy stories everyone forwards!):

Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative. Think differently and positively. When life gives you a 100 reasons to cry, show life that you have 1000 reasons to smile. Face your past without regret. Handle your present with confidence. Prepare for the future without fear.
Will check in later - hope all in good with everybody!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
RGO

Blue...

Hello everyone!

I'm feeling blue

I think I'm getting bored with recovery. I still haven't found sober people to hang out... and AA is not really for me. I'm still going to some meetings but I will not do the 12 step program. So far, I haven't had any need to drink... I'm just bored and getting tired of spending so much time alone.

Books are my only friends right now. The rest of my friends are just a bunch of drunks... soon or later they'll be in recovery too.

Anyway, I'm going to my little nephew birthday party this evening... hopefully I feel better.

I hope everyone is doing good. Have a great weekend.

-RGO
Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey RGO - how are things going today? How was the birthday party? I know what you mean about being bored with sobriety. I had the same feelings this week. Just generally feeling down, almost like depression (even though I'm on antidepressants). No interest in much, really. I was getting worried about my state of mind and hoping it would lift soon.

Today, I felt alot better. I don't know why. The only thing that was different is that I let myself sleep until 10:30. Maybe that helped, but I was able to have a productive day today, which always makes me feel good.

I think if we just wait these things out, it will get better. And then, it might get yucky again for a few days, and then better, etc.... I just know if I drink I'll never find out how good it might get. You're not alone, that's for sure!!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

RGO, how are you holding up? It seems like most folks hit that blue period around this time. It hit most of the people in the Class of April too. It passed for me in about a week-two weeks. Some days I really felt like not leaving my apartment. Not good at all.

The few days I've really felt better. Started a new novel, going to the gym, did a little urban exploration. You know, stuff that got me out of the apartment or just moving forward in whatever direction. Tomorrow I start Red Cross training, so that's a new thing as well.

I hear you on the socializing part though. Still rough, still tough. All my friends do is drink or play video games. Real, real boring.

Like Art said, you're not alone in this

Best to everyone!

Oh, Atlas, how'd that first day go?

Art, thanks for the quote. Picked my day up.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
RGO

Better...

Hey there!

I'm in a better mood today.

Thanks for asking Artsoul. The party was fun. I needed something like that. A party with a bunch of kids playing, adults drinking cokes and ice tea, and lots of food. I stayed busy the whole weekend. Movies, lunches, gym, books and calling friends (I have a free weekend cell-phone plan)!

I thought I was getting depressed too, but I think I was just bored and tired.

Hey Draciack, things are better today. I think it's time to try to start connecting with people again. This time sober. Now that my family and friends know that I'm not drinking they started to invite me to the movies, and lunches, so it's getting better slowly.

Last time I went to a meeting at AA I exchanged phone numbers with few people. Since then, they keep sending me text messages or calling every time there's something going on at AA. It seems to me that all they do is go to meetings, and nothing else. I like meetings but I want to have a life outside AA. I want to go to movies, and concerts, lunches, dinners, travel... I want to date again, and exercise, read, take a new class, find a better job ...and many other things. And I do want to go to meetings and talk either online or in person about my experiences when I have the time or need. But I don't want to be in therapy every day. Uff! I feel better now that I said it.

Have a great day!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey RGO - I'm glad you're feeling better, although a room full of birthday kids wouldn't be my first choice as a cure for boredom, haha. But I think it's great that you have so many interests and lots of things you really WANT to do in the future.

Some people only have AA, which is fine. But I know a few (from being in the program years ago) who latch onto others and it used to make me uncomfortable. I'd just ignore the messages (maybe after a while they'll stop). Nice to be wanted though, huh?

Draciack - started a new NOVEL?!! WHAT? What's it about? I wanna know!!! Sounds like you're doing great - so glad to hear it! I'm still trying to get myself to exercise (I walk by my elliptical 100 times a day!)

Atlas - quit working so hard and tell us how the new job is going!!!! puleez! I'm so curious!

As for me, I've spent the past 3 out of 4 days dealing with computers, routers, wireless printers,cameras, blah blah blah. Nothing like trying to solve computer problems when you don't even know what questions to ask. I finally found out my router needing replacing, so I took care of that. AND, get this: Inbetween getting all my issues worked through, I now have a WEBSITE!!!! I don't have any links with google yet (or payment setup), but I've got my paintings online and tested it yesterday - IT WORKED!!!! Yipee! So, I feel like I'm making progress and I'm learning alot as I'm going. I actually think it looks pretty darn good. Go me!

I'm determined to take some steps forward in my life and career. If I were still drinking, I'd still be doing the bare minimum, which was really not good enough to deal with everything I've got to deal with. I have a big yard, an older home that needs work, some kids, my painting career, financial troubles.......... It might just be too much I think (even sober it feels overwhelming)....... So I may need to whittle it down at some point. I'd love to get rid of the yard (and the swimming pool - a money pit). The problem is I love my house - it has the perfect studio, too.

Well, I'm starting to type everything that's coming into my head, so maybe it's time to break away from the laptop, lol. I hope everyone is having a good week so far. Cheer for the day: O-D-A-A-T !!! SOBRIETY ROCKS FOR YOU AND ME!!!! MAYFLOWERS CAN'T BE BEAT!!! GO TEAM!!!!!!!!!!! (original, huh?!)