# 41 (permalink)  

Welcome ozgoddess.
This is a very supportive thread, I'm sure you'll feel at home here
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
learning

Hi folks,

Still here and still sober.

Meeting was good last night. I met a guy who I wanted to talk more to, but he disappeared after the meeting. So I'm going to go back to that one for sure.

Trying yet another meeting tonight.

I'm liking the variety. My last attempt at AA I let get too stale.

Be well Guys!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ozgoddess, Welcome to the April thread'

and congratulations on the 37 days !!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Day 33

...and all's well.

Rev
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Hi everyone! Sounds like we're hanging in there, some tough days but hanging in there. Whoop Whoop for us Aprillers! We rock.

Today is my daughter's birthday, I took her to do some shopping and out to lunch. Made her fav dinner. Saturday evening we're having gifts and cake for her too.

Tomorrow I'm going to my oldest son's award ceremony at the high school and then out to lunch with a couple friends from church. I love being sober and being able to enjoy this stuff again!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Still here as well and sober. Congrats Rev, Oz, Bartender, TS (topspin), Fool, MSG, DK, SF, and anyone I may have missed on your awesome sober time. Having our own group kinda makes it a bit more intimate and I have been following all of your recovery. I know sobriety comes from within but having a group of supporters personally routing for you and there for the highs and lows really helps us.

I'm sober and here!!! Sometimes I read that first post back in April to remind me of how far I have come. I posted on the newbie page about hubby's deployment.

Like Montgomery Gentry sings......All I gotta say is bring it on. Seriously that is how I feel. One thing after another and man I am still sober. Says a lot about me that is for sure. If I were drinking.....hell I might be reaching for a some pills to wash down at this point. Judgement was cloudy if you know what I mean.

I am having anxiety (well who wouldn't) since he shouldn't be deployed since an this overseas assignment is considering being deployed. I will probably ride the roller coaster and go through the stages of deployment......denial, resentment, detachment....etc. For the average person it is a mental drain and for a recovering alcholic....well I am hoping it is actually easier. Why? Because battling alcoholism is the toughest life challenge I have honestly had to face. It is a daily fight and requires us to have faith, change our lifestyles and throw everything into sobriety upfront without seeing immediate gratification. For example, detoxing and believing that this too will pass.

I also believe that the Lord gives you nothing you can't handle. If I can stay sober then I believe I can handle anything. Just wish I had a bit more sober time under my belt.

So proud of all of you and how we are all living our lives sober. I have read each of our initial days and reasons why we wanted to get clean and to see all of us now makes me smile

Have a great one!!! Oh and MGS....Happy Birthday to your little one, SF keep on the vitamins (im doing them too), Bartender rock on with your meetings and Fool...feel better as I have been sick for a week now.

Yap to y'all later!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yes...so many of you (us) are doing great. Hang in there Kim and we'll get through this. MGS, I think it is great everything you are finding you can do when you are sober. Oz...I'm at 32 days tonight so I'm bout five behind you hoping to keep up with ya! This is an inspirational group!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Went back and read a little further...Great job Marlow. TopSpin...you seem in such good spirits it's uplifting! Keep goin strong Bartender, Dean and StayinFree! Reading what you all are doing helps me.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Friday afternoon here - have a great weekend everyone!

D
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi guys. I am keeping tabs on this thread, somewhat regularly. Congratulations to everyone on their recent sobriety landmarks and on their perseverance through difficult times, temptation, and health worries.

And welcome, Ozgoddess.

The last time I posted I was apprehensive about my first time being around a large group of drinking people in a social setting. I made it through the evening fine; no one asked why I wasn't drinking booze (I wouldn't be surprised if the few who know mentioned it to others/it's an insular group, and that's actually okay by me). The night went fine and of course there are the benefits of me being sober: I didn't make a jerk out of myself, as I might have had I been drinking (good ole russian roulette with that one) or hurt anyone's feelings. This particular group is not people I particularly enjoy, which made it harder in some ways, but I realized that if I had been drinking I would have had the challenge of dealing with their boorishness PLUS trying to get drunk in as inconspicuous of a way as possible, which would have been 10x the annoyance/obstacle/disaster. (Well, we'll see . . . part of me wonders if it will be harder when I'm around those I do enjoy . . . eesh.)

Marlow, I believe it was you who expressed worry about going to visit family (who are drinkers) next month. Boy do I feel this. I am leaving for my family's hometown in a week; I decided to take a temporary job there before I got sober, and I will be there for a month. The job is a financial necessity, unfortunately, good money I need during a stretch when I would be otherwise unemployed (summer break). I am frankly terrified and unlike you do not feel confident that my family will be supportive or understanding. Luckily, I will only be under the same roof as my parents for a fraction of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if they (parents and very large extended family) take my sobriety as a personal affront . . . it is terrifying. My plan is to tell them I am not drinking for the duration of the trip, but not get into specifics. I am planning to be on this site A LOT in the evenings while I'm there. I have the next week to keep preparing before I start my trip there, so fretting over this is pre-preparation, I suppose.

Continued good luck to everyone!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

How good does it feel to make it through another week sober? I know for me being sober has meant being more patient at work. Things that use to bother me just don't anymore....weird? And I thought I was drinking to relax..:rotfxko

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

lost everything

I had 6 months clean again. I not only lost my sobriety but my job. I am probably going to lose my wife and kids over this alcoholism. I do not know what to do at this point. I do not know what came over me. It was not a physical obsession I do not think, but I believe all mental obsession. I am very scared and alone. Once again I have hurt and destroyed the ones that love and care for me. I am embarrassed to walk into my aa meetings because of this.
Sorry everyone just needed someone to talk/write to. Its about 5 am and I cannot sleep. All of this happened Thurs. I have never been this scared in my life.
Dean
Old 05-14-2010, 02:18 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sorry dkayvins, don't know what to say except attempts at sobriety will never make things worse. And everyone here at SR, especially us Aprillers won't judge you because we've been in the same boat. So there we'll always be here to support you.
Take care.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Mad about Saffron

Day 26

Today is my 26th day sober.

I am only 4 days away from reaching my second initial goal, which was 30 days. (First goal was two weeks)

30 days (actually 29) will be the longest time I have been without alcohol in decades.

If someone had told me months ago that I would be approaching 30 days without drinking, I would have assumed that I had gotten myself incarcerated somehow, or had died.

I still have not had the urge to drink, although I know that day will come.

I continue to learn more about myself, and my (various) reasons for my drinking. Introspection, I have found, is key for me.

My willpower seems to grow stronger every day. I think I am in the beginning stages of proving to myself that I can live a life as a non-drinker.

I can't tell you guys how much this forum has helped me begin this much-needed (and desired) journey...It has already made a huge difference in my life.

Thank you for your support....For your inspiration....For your understanding....For caring about a stranger.

I feel quietly hopeful about the future, which is not such a bad way to feel.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by dkayvins125 View Post
I had 6 months clean again. I not only lost my sobriety but my job. I am probably going to lose my wife and kids over this alcoholism. I do not know what to do at this point. I do not know what came over me. It was not a physical obsession I do not think, but I believe all mental obsession. I am very scared and alone. Once again I have hurt and destroyed the ones that love and care for me. I am embarrassed to walk into my aa meetings because of this.
Sorry everyone just needed someone to talk/write to. Its about 5 am and I cannot sleep. All of this happened Thurs. I have never been this scared in my life.
Dean
There but for the grace of God go us all, Dean. One thing about us alcoholics is, we're in no position to judge anyone for making a mistake, or being imperfect. You had a lapse. That's all. Just point yourself back in the same direction and go on being sober. 6 months of sobriety doesn't just become nothing because of one mistake, unless you let it. It's just a mistake. Don't let it become something worse. We are all here for you, man. Believe in yourself; we do.

Rev
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Daen, I've never been to an aa meeting, but they seem like an important part of your recovery. You need to pick yourself up and get back there. I am sure they will not judge you harshly...just like that is not done here. No matter what happens you will not be better off without your sobriety. 6 months is amazing...lets get back there. To echo Rev, we believe in you. Do it.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
learning

Hi folks,

Still here and still sober.

Had a great experience and a meeting last night and I will be going back to that one more often.

Happy Friday everyone!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Dean, sorry for your difficult time. Remember: what is important now is not what happened in the past but what you can do about it now. I understand it must take some bravery to climb back on, but you definitely have support here and I imagine will have the same in your AA group when you do go back. Remember also that we all make mistakes, and no one is perfect.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

AmericanGirl and others…I totally get your concern about goin away and bein with others (family / friends) that are drinkin and may not be supportive.

I am still tryin to take this one day at a time…but am thinking about our family trip up north next month. This will be my 3rd time goin for several days and in the past drank heavily all but one night. Of course there were the jokes from my In-Laws (including my younger nieces and nephews) directed at me about the bottles of Vodka I’d bring up, and then sneaking away to drink cuz I didn’t want to do it in front of them. They all new of course, but had no idea just how much I was drinkin or how drunk I was cuz I was pretty good at hidin that (this is really embarrassing, and it is difficult to write about, but feels kinda good to share).

Now I am planning on not drinking any alcohol…so I am guessin I will get no support on that. I’m gounna down play it and just tell them I don’t feel like it, but I can feel the jokes coming my way, which will include me hiding he bottles in the past. Heard they are bringing four bottles of apple pie. Don’t get me wrong…I can handle it. Just already irritates me…how can you make fun of me for drinkin one year, then not support me not drinkin the next?!

I can’t risk drinking…can’t do it. My blackouts started after that trip last year where I’d get so drunk I didn’t remember the night before, would have conversations I didn’t recall or would wake up in a different place in the house from where I went to bed. My tolerance got so high. I am afraid one drink will lead to that.

So…anyway, I guess I just needed to a vent a little too. Wanted to write that I get the worry about bein with others and not feelin support.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dkayvins125 View Post
Dean
Hey Dean......you say probably (lose your wife and kids), but you haven't yet? And you know what...you don't have to. I believe in you, you aren't any worse than me and I'm doing it and so can you.
Stay strong, get back on the road to sobriety, we're all here for you.
You CAN do this!
Hugs for you and your family x