Notices

August Sobriety Part 9

Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

TB here.

Welcome back, Banana... TC, I remember you were from July, as was I once upon a time--you were the very first person I ever called from the internet. Just a beginning of all the new experiences I've had over the last year or so. I know I haven't been all the way good at being sober, but I've surely done better this year than any other--and I think I might have grown up more than any other too.

Just got back in town, went camping with one of the clubs--can't tell y'all how homesick I am now. Kinda looked like home, or else I've been gone so long I forgot what home looks like--although it was a state park, so a little cleaner. Shimmied up a big rock, all the 'experienced' outdoorspeople were trying to figure them out still... I never knew there was a scientific way to climb stuff. Sometimes not knowing all the technicalities of things makes them a lot easier to just up and do.

That parallels with sobriety, don't think I would have went for it if I'd thought it all the way through & researched it first, but I'm glad I did. School is another, and when I look at it that way, I hate school less...

Didn't drink a thing, several other people did, and I could have, I went into the store to get the liquor with them, but I was just having fun out in the woods and eating marshamallows--didn't even ask. Heck, I hadn't even thought about the idea of drinking or not at the event--and I have drank with these people before. But it felt good, just breathing the mountain air and then curling up in my sleeping bag. I didn't wanna come back, but here I am.

I'm all the way revitalized. That little obstacle I encountered earlier this week, seems gone. I don't care--I'll find a way around it. Just gotta do it, like climbing through those caves. I can do this.

Take care,
TB, still grinning uncontrollably smelling like campfire still.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TB- I am so happy for you that you had this great experience and feel revitalized, and that you are sober...

You rock...
Old 04-23-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nice work TB. Doesn't it feel good to get out and live and to feel the thrill of life sober? I am very proud of you.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

TB, still grinning uncontrollably smelling like campfire still.
tb that is fantastic... please try hard to remember this experience next time you feel like picking up! you sound so positive atm

Been lurking to keep up
good your still around.. tc

I just didn't process alcohol like I did when I was younger.
i hear ya!

and yep brent you would be the age of Dave in my story.. but even if i havent met you i guess i still think of him as much younger because of his lifestyle... he is single, going to uni, no commitments.. baby face looks... just seems so young himself!!

i was 44 (45 now) and while that was my time.. i do think how much more i could have done if i got into the rooms younger.. gosh some are in their teens!! awesome!!

good to hear melissa is doing well.. i miss her posts .

hiya jase.. hope you have a good weekend... we have a long one here for anzac weekend

ANZAC: Australian New Zealand Army Corps.

“No talking, lads,
no smoking”

‘Gallipoli’ tells the story of the 10th Light Horse Regiment from Western Australia and the brave but pointless attack at a place called The Nek. After several mistakes that gave the Turks time to prepare for an attack, the Australians fixed bayonets, leapt out of their trenches and charged the Turkish lines. In just 30 seconds, the first wave of men had all been killed or wounded. The Turks eventually stopped shooting and the battlefield fell silent. The loudest noise was the heartbeat of the men who were next to go over the top.

After only two minutes, the second wave stormed from the trenches, into the wall of hot lead and steel. The final wave of ANZACs remained in the trench. They knew the attack was now pointless, and waited for the Generals down on the beach to order them to stop. But the only order they received was to attack. Brothers said goodbye to each other, and friends stood side by side. As they leapt out of the trench they jumped over the bodies of their friends who had been alive only minutes earlier, and knew they would soon join them. No ANZACs ever reached the Turkish trenches. In 1919, after the war was over, several ANZACs went back to Gallipoli to bury their dead properly. At the Nek, they found the bodies of more than 300 Australians in an area smaller than a tennis court.

it is one of the most famous battles in australian/newzealand history.

The Spirit of ANZAC is an intangible thing. It is unseen, unpredictable, an unquenchable thirst for justice, freedom and peace. This phrase is synonymous with 'The Spirit of the ANZACs' which is frequently used to describe particular actions by, and qualities of, people. However, despite being intangible, the Spirit of ANZAC is a cornerstone which underpins our Australian image, way of life and indeed is an integral part of our heritage.

a history lesson for you ... anew and anyone else you wishes to read.

sorry it is so long.. i dont expect many thanks on this one.. !!

have a good sober weekend all
Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll thank that one.
Thanks Kate

D
Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Meow

Woo hoo TB!!!! There's nothing quite like a campfire on a cool evening in the woods. :-)
Old 04-23-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
hypercube

TJ, I hope you come back to SR. Other people are given the space to vent here, so I'm not sure why the same courtesy cannot be extended to you.

It's a large site, so check out some of the other threads, you may feel more comfortable and you will find support.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Box..good to see you.

TJ wasn't asked to leave. There was some discussion, not recovery related and it just digressed. I think (not to speak for her) she didn't feel supported in her discussion.

Anyone can post anything and vent. Anyone can respond.

This is a recovery board though. It is great to share what is going on in our lives,though I think we need to be prepared to have some recovery sprinkiled in response.

Just my thoughts..as I posted earlier, I am passionate about recovery from alcoholism, and never meant to put anyone off. I have had some tough questions posed to me in my recovery, and people told me things I didn't want to hear.

Usually though the things I didn't want to hear or read, I needed to.

Again...just my thoughts..
Old 04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I like you: Box3, Bannanagirl, KC. (0h yeah... Gofish, Anono, PurpleCat, thirtybubba, Midton, Shakespeare, and others.)
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
KC1

Hello there. KC here. (Why do I say that? You all know that it is me). Had to work late, so did not go to see the Kenny Chesney movie a second time tonight. Boo Hiss.

Anyway, so far, I am still playing in the 36-hole golf tournament tomorrow. Not sure if the weather is going to hold out for both Saturday and Sunday or not. Supposed to cloudy which is fine. Showers is not fine. I hate playing in the rain. We will play unless the course is closed. Wish me luck! Hopefully I bring home another trophy.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I know it gets quiet around here, so won't expect to hear too much.

KC
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

p.s. You too, Mirage.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow KC. I know, playing in rain is not fun. I played a golf tournament last summer in the rain. We ended up getting second. So not all bad.

I will try to be around a little this weekend. We are packing basically everything at our house this weekend as we move on Thursday. So if I hang out in our office at home here, my wife can't put me to work.

Hugs everyone.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

dee:
the girls and i go to the dawn service... it is truly moving.. i do not have direct history with anzac.. but i usually am moved to tears regardless! prob because i am a big sook!

procrastinating now.. better get back to my cleaning...

kc... i always have a smile when i read that..."kc here' i love it

brent: you might get one of these from your wife !! lol.. i know you will really be helping her!

hi all others... i had better go back to work! soccer starts soon , nothing worse than not finishing a job, and having to come back to it when housework is concerned i think!

see ya
Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

KC-best of luck in your tournament. Are you supposed to be in the path of this bad storm? Maybe you will get to see the movie again this weekend.

They are predicting some bad weather for us tomorrow. I am heading to a retreat tomorrow afternoon once my daughter gets home. I am hoping the weather doesn't interfer.

Bdiddy..moving and a trip coming up almost at the same time. Its all good.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi TJ! Like.

KC, you'll appreciate this (as will any other golfers). My son is a freshman in high school and made the varisty golf team (wheee!). Today they had a (9 hole) practice, and the coach told them they could pick just three clubs. He chose a 5 iron, pitching wedge and putter.

He shot a 38. A freaking 38. With three clubs. I am sooooo jealous! He said it was because they were "only" playing from the white tees - they usually play from the blues in matches.

We had an interesting discussion tonight on the way home from a visitation (we lost a member of our hockey family - 44 years old to a heart attack ). It was about drinking and drugs, smoking and chewing, and how much of it there is in his high school. He said he's glad he doesn't do that stuff - he'd rather play golf and hockey. I hope he keeps that attitude for the next three years and beyond!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's all good Anew? haha. We move into our new place on the 29th, sell our current home on the 30th, and leave for Mexico for a week at 7:00 AM on May 1st. So basically we will throw everything in the garage and leave for vacation. It will be sooooo awesome to come home to everything in boxes in our garage! ( I hope you are all picking up on my sarcasm, lol). We have hired a moving company to move all of our furniture, so that will be nice. At least our beds will be set up and furniture will be in its spot. Oh, did I mention I am doing an all day seminar out of town for work on the 30th? So I won't even be home to do ANY unpacking! Thank God for sobriety, because honestly, I don't think I could do all of this while drinking. It just wouldn't happen.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ANZAC...now I know what that celebration is all about. Thanks Anono!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

KC-my hubby golfs, so, I am forced to know about golf It sounds like your son has a natural talent for the game. It is quite an accomplishment for him to be on the varsity team.

Isn't it nice to be able to talk with your children about these things? My son just turned 21..he has been informed of the diffference between normal and alcoholic drinking.l So, far, knock wood, fingers crossed we haven't had any problems during his college career. On his birthday he ordered a beer..and for a split second I thought..wow., wouldn't it be great to have one with him to celebrate. But one wouldn't have been enough. He has told me if it bothered me he wouldn't drink in front of me., as he is proud and supportive of my recovery.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Meow

That's great, Anew :-). It is amazing how perceptive my son is about alcohol/drugs and what it can do to a person, even at age 15.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

We will have a bunch of kids over at our house tonight. It's prom night and our house is usually an after prom location because we have a great basement for teenageers to hang out in (which was our intent when we had it finished a couple of years ago). My wife and I don't know some of the kids who will be coming over after prom, probably 5 -6 couples. However, they are friends of my daughter and she told us that the reason they want to come to our house is because our house is known as being alcohol free (and always has been). This is somewhat ironic given my slip a few weeks ago, but our house is a favorite teen hang out and it's always been that way. They can watch movies or play Rock Band until 3 a.m. and we will supply the junk food, but all the kid's know that we don't allow drinking or drugs. (I'm proud of that, I just wish I had been able to always follow that standard in my private life).

There are after prom get togethers at the homes of other kid's we casually know, who's parents are supplying alcohol as long as the kids turn in their car keys and spend the night. I'm glad my daughter and her friends want no part of that. The stories my kids tell me about drug and alcohol use in high school (middle class suburbia) are enough to turn any parents hair grey. I'm glad that both my kids now know that dear old dad has a problem with alcohol, so they have knowledge of the genetic predisposition they likely have. To keep that knowledge from them would be so wrong.