Codependency And Beyond - Part 11

Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Codependency And Beyond - Part 11

Part 10 can be found here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-a-20.html

Amy, yes, and I am glad..
.the really big part for me apart from the pain issues is my vulnerability to accidents in relationship to aging...but I know at this point it is mostly fear based.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Grateful,

I am so glad that your knee is healing and your shoulder as well. It seems like you have learned something from this fall, and thanks for sharing your wisdom with all of us.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Thank you, Anna
Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by grateful2b View Post
Thank you, Anna
and I think one of the reminders here for me is to do all that I can to change what I can and find the grace to accept the rest...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes (((Grateful)) thanks so much for sharing what you are learning...it is very helpful for me at this time...

(((Live)) So sorry about your Mom, that must be very hard for you...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((Live)))
How hard it must be to see your mom slip away. I am so sorry. Thank goodness you have a guy that is sympathetic and loving to help you through.

(((Grateful))) Thanks for always being so transparent. Your willingness to be real with us is so healing. So many times it has helped me to know I'm not alone.

(((Anna))) Thanks for your prayers and good wishes for my son and I.

(((Gypsy))) Love you

I know I shouldn't be surprised or hurt...because it was expected, but I tried calling my son last night to ask him if he would consider a carbon monoxide detector. He wouldn't pick up even though I know he was near his cell phone...cuz my daughter was able to get through just a little later.

I know he is detaching...but having him ignore me feels like he is dissing me and the rejection hurts. It may seem petty...but I had to put away the pictures of my son on my desk today...it just hurt too much having to look at him in the days where (I thought) we had a good relationship.

Despite that...I'm having a pretty good day. Classes are going well, and my teenagers fill me with love...

Hoping you all have a great weekend

Love,
Annie
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Annie))) - Brit is doing the same thing to me, and yes, it does hurt, but I am giving her some space. I know she still loves me, and she won't ALWAYS be this distant, but yeah....this is tough. She's pretty much moved out...has only been home 2 nights since Christmas, and one of those is when she threw a fit.

I go back to work this afternoon. I'm hoping if it's not THE last weekend I work, it's one of the last. Only one person at work knows of the lawsuit, so it's not anything I talk about.

Still coughing, so will stop and get some cough drops on the way in. Trying to get my head in a good place for work, but it's not wanting to go there.....sigh.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Thank you, Annie

(((Annie)))...I remember, not having any pictures of her out for a while...just didn't want to be reminded of "before", too painful...we do what we need to for us, to get through......

Good for you, Annie, for taking care of you, and you are right, he is detaching, and that it good. He is not in the best place but by detaching he has made his move and that is one step closer to him realizing that his life is his responsibility... but it does hurt when they choose to shut us out, however necessary it is....gentle momma hugs...

((Amy))...I hope you day goes well and supports you as needed
Old 01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just got a notice from workmen's comp, in the mail, notifying me of the hearing date in March. Called my lawyer and left a voice mail. Guess we're not settling. I WAS okay with all of this, but not right now...trying to get back to calm, but not doing so well today.

Think I'll just say the serenity prayer a few 100 times or so.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

((((((Amy))))))
breathe and remind yourself it is not in your hands, nothing you can do at this point but "you know"...your HP has got this so you can let go..squishy hugs and prayers continue for the best outcome for you
Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh darn, Amy, I can't believe they're dragging it out longer! What will happen in the hearing? Will a decision be made then?

Annie, your son is finding his way, though I know how painful it is for you. Hugs to you!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Never mind....lawyer just called back - said the letter was a "formality", they have settled in the case and workmen's comp actually came back with MORE than he was asking for. It will take a couple of weeks, but once I sign the papers (should be by the end of the month) and get my check, I can start the next chapter of my life.

Go ahead....remind me...let go and let God. Why, oh why, can't I just remember that in the first place?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
Go ahead....remind me...let go and let God. Why, oh why, can't I just remember that in the first place?
((Amy))...because you have PTSD and this has gone on way too long....that is good news...I think there may finally be some light at the end of this very long tunnel

we're gonna have a party, right?!?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

You are reading from The Language Of Language Of Letting Go by Melody Beattie Copyright - 1990 The Hazelden Foundation

Standing Up For Ourselves

January 15

We learn some behaviors have self-defeating consequences while others have beneficial consequences. We learn we have choices.
- Beyond Codependency

It is so easy to come to the defense of others. How clear it is when others are being used, controlled, manipulated, or abused. It is so easy to fight their battles, become righteously indignant, rally to their aid, and spur them on to victory.

"you have rights." we tell them. "And those rights are being violated. Stand up for yourself, without guilt."

Why is it so hard, then, for us to rally to our own behalf? Why can't we see when we are been used, victimized, lied to, manipulated or otherwise violated? Why is it so difficult for us to stand up for ourselves?

There are times in life when we can walk a gentle, loving path. There are times, however, when we we need to stand up for ourselves - when walking the gentle, loving path puts us deeper into the hands of those who could mistreat us.

Some days, the lesson we're to be learning and practicing is one of setting boundaries. Some days, the lesson we're learning is that of fighting for ourselves and our own rights.

Sometimes, the lesson won't stop until we do

Today, I will rally to my own cause. I will remember that it is okay to stand up for myself when that action is appropriate. Help me, God, to let go of my need to be victimized. Help me appropriately, and with confidence, stand up for myself.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think a party is in order

I had told Tess/Anvil that I had decided that somehow, if this got settled, I was going to take a couple days, during the middle of the week, and go to the beach...find an inexpensive room (with wi-fi, because I've got to have my internet and SR) and just relax. I'm always closer to God on the beach and do you know, I'd already forgotten about this until she mentioned it?

I already feel guilty about it...dad never gets to do stuff like that, wouldn't do it if I offered him the money TO do it, but I'm going to get past the guilt. The ocean revives me...helps me refocus, re-grounds me. Just need a day or two, and I'll be good as new. It also gives me something to look forward to. A little bit of "me time"

THEN, I'll come back and find a good therapist!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Amy- I hope everything turns out ok. If it doesnot, not a problem. You know you are not alone and we'll be here for you in anyway.

Annie- I am so sorry. I hope you are feeling better. It must be hard for you.

As for the reading:

Why is it so hard, then, for us to rally to our own behalf? Why can't we see when we are been used, victimized, lied to, manipulated or otherwise violated? Why is it so difficult for us to stand up for ourselves?
I guess the answer for me is simple. When I treat my self as sh*t, I allow others to treat me in the same way. They say we teach people how to treat us. When I dont care about me why should somebody else care for me even my bf. For a long long time, I've been trying to find that person that would fix even if that meant baring manipulation , lies and being treated bad. I was extremely insecure with a low self esteem. But today, my relation with myself is getting better. The more I accept myself as I am ,with my assets and weakness, the more I have the chance to stand up for myself and say: No I deserve better than this. I'm striving to build peace with myself because when Im in peace with msyelf and love myself then and only then I can face the world. i learned to depend on a HP that is prefect and will never fail me. All humans failed me because I asked too much from them and I depended on them for my happiness.

IT DOESNOT MATTER HOW I AM TREATED BY LIFE. MY REAL LIFE LIES WITHIN
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Amy, I love your plan and your resolve to give yourself what you know you need, no matter what!....sounds sooo wonderful....it is my "place" to cleanse my body and soul as well...I will be there with you in spirit!

Jane, I enjoyed your post! wonderful recovery...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

((Jane)) - great post. People have let me down, I have let me down....HP....He's always "had my back", no matter what. I may have had to struggle a lot, but it was usually because I was stubborn and trying to do things MY way. The lessons I've learned best were the ones I had to work the hardest to learn.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I may have had to struggle a lot, but it was usually because I was stubborn and trying to do things MY way.
You know what's funny , my old way sucked but I still resisted change. It's like I got addicted to the pity-party and feeling sorry for myself. I still hate sometimes the new Jane because it means no more blaming or exuses, no more feeling sorry for myself, no more"poor me". It simply means I have to face life as it is and that is the hardest and scariest feeling ever. Sometimes it's easier for me to give up but no more running because where ever I go, I take me with me. I have to learn how to set boundaries for msyelf. I feel like a baby learning his first steps. It's frustrating sometimes but doesnot matter. I have to do this or else I'm doomed to repeat the same insanity with the same consequences. The less victim I feel the more I can stay clean.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

LET'S PARTY AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO HOO. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Send a thought out to the ocean for me!

Love ya
Annie