Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mirage View Post
No, they weren't expensive! (Shoot, I still need to clean them, tho. Forgot!)
Asta, you're adorable!! I just visited your facebook page. Too cute!
Just looked at yours too. Very nice smile and very pretty. Wonder why the name search didn't work? Oh well.

Thanks for the compliment. That pic was taken right near Mendenhall Glacier when we took our Seattle/Alaska/Seattle cruise last May. The rock we're sitting on had some significance but I can't remember what.

I'll have more of an incentive to look at FB now. If you are wondering about all the Prima posts, he is the son of the late Great Louis Prima Sr who was about the best act in Vegas in the 50s. He and his then wife Keely Smith really tore up the stage. He was a maniac. I love his music and his son recreates a lot of it and a lot of the antics in his show. I haven't seen the son's show yet but we are FB friends as are most true fans and always get invites to wherever he is playing. He play New Orleans pretty often cuz that's where his dad grew up but, alas, he is in Vegas when we are in New Orleans 5/19-5/26. Drat the luck.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Family's back! Hurray! I'll write more tomorrow. i gotta run!.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

All's well here. A little chilly but the wind is down so I think I'll spend the day outdoors. Lots to do out there.

T--Glad your family is back together. Bet the kids really missed their dad, and or course your wife too.

Mirage - Don't forget to clean your shoes. :-)

Not much going on. Mother's Day of course is coming up. I always send my mom flowers a few days early so she can show them off to her retirement village friends early. I'll probably get a nice card from my daughter, a day or two late. That's OK. She's a good kid. Who made up Mother's and Father's Day anyway? Probably the greeting card industry. Spouse will probably still be cooking on MD but I think I'll hint around as to what my preference would be. (Something in the shellfish category would be nice -- maybe oysters for appetizer and prawns for main course. I wouldn't need a side dish, but I guess some roughage would be good.)

That's all for now.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Thanks Asta..I cleaned em!

Had a busy day, myself. Grocery shopping, lunch with a friend, then my mom came over and we planted some hostas and went through some of the boys toys and clothes and got rid of a lot. I love doing that. Actually, I take that back. I don't like doing it so much as I like when it's done. Oh, then off to cub scouts. Finally sitting down and it's Red Wings time. We're up 2-1 after the first period. Whew! Also, I found out Giant is having a hard time coming up with my bike and it won't be in for about...oh I don't know...EVER?! So back to the drawing board. Gonna have to see if I can find it elsewhere.

Yes, I think the evil Hallmark is behind these pseudo holidays. I'd like to say your MD dinner sounds delish, but I'd be lying. I think I've already expressed here my dislike for seafood in general, so I won't mention again how I don't like seafood. You're welcome.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Mirage: Spoil sport. You could at least fake it for Mother's Day. Just kidding.

I had to google hostas as I had never heard of them. Apparently they come in different colors? What color are yours?

My spring flowers are blooming all over the place. My tulips are out, my purple lilies of which I don't know the name but I have a zillion of them are all in bloom and starting to be spent, my irises are starting to bloom. The lady that had this property before us was a flower nut. I've pulled and killed a lot of them cuz it was just too much to keep up with. Anyway, springtime around here is nice as is summer. Our rhododendrons are in various stages of bloom. Some are early bloomers and some late bloomers. They are just beautiful and thrive here on the coast.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Another busy day, not much time to talk. The wife planned a date night for tonight, so I just got home from dinner, and the just got the boys to bed… that’s right… both boys are asleep upstairs and… what the heck am I talking to you guys for?
Talk to you tomorrow!
Oh, real quick, when they got home from their trip my wife handed me the baby… he looked up at me (all grown up of course… a week is a long time) and he smiled a big smile that said, “Hey… it’s you! I like you!” It was a good day.
Again… why am I talking to you? The boys have never gone to bed at the same time!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Tytan -- You are one fortunate sober sob. You know that, right? Get a good nights rest (but not too..... good!)
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I am a sob, aren’t I?
Mirage: I haven’t had time to respond, but I was totally your brother… or at least the jist I got for you. I was blowing off morning classes after a late rehearsal the night before… and blowing off late afternoon classes in preparation of a rehearsal (it’s important to be fed and rested before hand)… frankly, I’m pretty amazing that anything came out of my theatre addiction.
Talk to you guys tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

T--You know I'm just jealous and kidding, right? It's been a long time since I've held a baby. My step nephew and his wife had a baby in November and we visited, but I didn't hold the cute little thing. [A boy as well.) They didn't volunteer and I didn't want to be pushy and ask.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

My college roomy came to visit from Utah a few weeks back and I got to manhandle her 8 month old. It IS fun.

Why do I have NO motivation to exercise? And why can I never spell exercise without spellcheck?? Total mental block.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Mirage-My routine is to exercise after I read the morning paper, have a (little) bit of breakfast, and finish the xword. What I can't figure out, I try to get the answer on the web. I am lucky in that I am pretty much retired. The hard part is getting on the d____ machine. The weather here is turnng pretty nice so I may split my time between treadmill and beach walk time. The hardest part is getting started. Always!!! Just got to get your work out clothes and DO IT!. I am stuck at a plateau, even tho it seems like I'm eating like a sparrow. The weight has to drop soon...Puleeeze.

Mirage-Don't give up. Think water, not food. All the time. I try. But I'm still not dropping. It has to soon -- I have faith. HERE'S TO WEIGHT LOSS GOALS!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Lol..that was some inspirational talk, Vince Lombardi! Today I have motivation to go see a movie. It's cold and raining hard. Thinking of seeing Kick A**..got good reviews. I'm hoping my bike will get me motivated more, Asta. I need different scenery and walking doesn't get me far enough.

I've really come to realize that I'm SUCH a creature of habit. I think that's what the drinking is more than anything else. (Update: I've drank/smoked one night in the last 16..I think I'm starting to feel that night time habit breaking.) I guess I was not physically addicted, as I don't suffer withdrawls when I stop. But I guess what I'm saying is I wonder if some people fall into habits easier than others. I'm just thinking out loud. And when do habits become addictions?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Mirage - Congrats! I know ideas when habits turn into addiction, I DO know during 2009 it was definitely a combination of both. Come home from work, fix a drink, read the mail, by that time the 1st drink was gone. You can see where this is going, right. At that point is was what the H___? Depended on if my daughter was with me or with her dad. Still everyone in the household durning her teen years (including 2 dogs and 2 cats [not so much the cats as they were pretty much loners] knew..And that wasn't even in 2009. She moved out and went to college when she was 18. I was fine for a while and for some reason (I would like to blame the "B " word (boat), I just went downhill. My marriage started s______g, mostly my fault as my spouse is very easy going and I am more of a perfectionist, except when I'm drunk. Then nothing gets done. Of course, the B causes me lots of stress but I have almost worn out my nag on it. I have done pretty much all I can to on it till he gets the d____d engine running so we can clean up the oil, grease etcl

When I stopped several times during 2009, most of them were pretty bad. DO NOT EVER WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN. Times I was so shaky I couldn't even use my mousel Typing was a laborious processl

Movies: If you haven't seen it and you like comedies with happy endings, I can heartlily recommend Date Nitel. I haven't laughed so much in yearsl

Well, (or Whelp) that's a glimpse into my dark pastl Don't let your boys (T-this goes for you too and anyone else who happens to read this) have the experience I did. It doesn't take till the teen years for them to realize Mom and/or Dad aren't like other kids parents.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi all,

hmm...habits and addictions...I dunno. With alcohol, I definately crossed a line, but I don't know when or how to pinpoint that line.

Mirage, I find it frustrating that i can easily fall into bad habits. Not just drinking, other stuff too. Why do I get so comfortable doing things that are bad for me? And why is it so uncomfortable to do things that are good for me? It never seems to end. It feels like life is a race that I'm always training for, except I can't even develop the discipline to train properly for it.

Ok, that went a bit all over the place

I hope everyone is doing well. Have a great weekend!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

What’s up party people?
Spryte it’s good to see you! Asta and Mirage, a pleasure as always. Mmm… morning coffee is spectacular. My oldest went next door to watch a movie with his friends. I love living in a neighborhood where everyone hangs out. I grew up in a neighborhood where everyone kept to themselves… it was strange. Anyway, I’m just chilling out… some much needed chill out time.
Mirage… I was reading your posts. Once in 16 days is really good. And you habit vs addition comment was very interesting too. I didn’t have any withdraws either… I just stopped drinking and smoking last November and boom… done. Was it really an addiction, in terms of a medical condition? Or did I just let a bad habit take control? In short, do I have an addiction issue or a habit issue? Is it the same things? I don’t know. A habit seems to be something you can control… addiction, not. I just don’t know if I am ready to test the waters… or even it I want too.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot since I will be going home soon and spending a lot of time with both my wife family and my family. They don’t really know the non-drinking Tytan… and honestly… I don’t really have a desire to drink… but I also don’t have the desire to address the issue with anyone. I’m hoping the issue will be moot, kind of like how it is here… I just say no thank you with very little discussion from folks. My wife told most people in the neighborhood in separate conversations that I am trying to lose weight and have set a goal to run a 5K with I get back from Pakistan… since I’ve lost 20 lbs since quitting… folks have accepted the excuse and their isn’t much discussion.
I wonder how that will fly at home?
Hmmmm…
BTW: Wife and I are planning to watch Date Night tonight. I am stoked!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Have fun everyone! I will do a short workout, and get outside for some weeding and trimming. Just a few clouds out there right now so I better "git" while the "gittins" good.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Windy, rainy weekend. Boys are sleepin at gma and gpa's tonight. Guess we'll grab a bite out. Wings fighting for their playoff lives late tonight. (West coast game).

Yes yes T, what you said is exactly what I meant. Not sure how important it is in the end, or if I'm using "habit" as a cop out, but it feels like one. I can understand why you have no desire..you don't have that habit/addiction anymore. You've spent a lot of time creating new ones. Even NOT doing it is a new one, in a way. I hear you..I'm just not quite there yet. It still appeals to me sometimes. I'll get there.

Hmmm...Date Night. I don't know why, but I haven't been that keen on seeing that. I love Carrell, and Fey is good, too..but I dunno. The trailer didn't do it for me. I'll rent it probably. I really liked Kick A**, btw. Really good. Not for everyone. It was sort of a 'Spider Man meets Quentin Tarantino' type thing.

Oh! I have a new favorite show. On HBO Friday nights at 9:00...The Ricky Gervais Show. Omg...I freakin crack up. It's basically RG and 2 friends making a podcast..just sitting at a table and they've animated it. You may have to like British humor..not sure, but I find this show hilarious. I didn't say this here already, did I? Can't remember where I say what. Hope not.

Ok, droppin the kiddos off..have a good Sat night folks! (Or whatever it is in BFE right now..that's for you, T.)
Old 05-09-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Happy mothers day everyone!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Yep, Happy Mom's Day to your wifey, T, and to you Asta! We're off to PF Changs with my mom for lunch.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Guess I better pipe in too.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MOTHERS, GRANDMOTHERS, AND ALL THE FOSTER MOTHERS OUT THERE WHO GIVE SO SELFLESSLY!!

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GRAND DAY!