More Fizz, Less Pop - Part 4

Old 01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Alex won.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Just looked out my window and the streets dead, think the whole of Scotland is watching the tennis just now, com'on Andy, he's getting beat but coming back in the 3rd set, maybe just maybe, gotta believe !!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Guess we didn't believe enough, or something ...............................................
Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Love the CSI Dundee quip

I really wanted Andy to win as well but I guess the Swiss have god on their side lol

Just kidding, today wasn't his day, Federer played some amazing tennis but I think it is only a matter of time for Andy.

Wimbeldon would be amazing.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I fear for you now Ally, I think Strachan's lost it.

Can't believe anyone would pay money for Lee Miller.

MacDonalds all right but ............................................

...............well we'll see.

I think the championship in England is a higher standard than the SPL and Mowbray wanted rid of these guys.

Seemingly Aberdeen got £500k for Miller, they should be done for fraud.

Hope I'm wrong Ally but really dont see Boro dong anything with all these new signings.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Just watchiing Martin Clunes Islands, he's at Muckle Flugga, I want to go there, it looks cool, and quiet !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Muckle Flugga is officially the best name ever

It gets worse Fizzy now we have lost our only really special player (Adam Johnson to Man City) I know it makes sense to sell him for a load of cash since he is out of contract at the end of the season, but it's still a bit depressing.

If we don't manage to get back up via the play offs this season I really worry for our long term success.

Your lot seem to be doing fine in the SPL I may have to jump ship lol (not really).
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

We're holding our own Ally, playing some ok football as well, trouble with Scottish football is that no matter what league your in you play each other 4 times, ok SPL you only play some teams 4 times depending on being in top or bottom 6 at the break, it gets boring pretty quick though, especially if your going to away games as well which I'm doing more and more of since I'm sober.

I've already seen Hearts 3 times this year, seen Dundee utd 3 times as well and we play them again next week, there's no novelty in that, its no wonder crowds are down.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Maybe scotland needs to invade england and take over some of their teams
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I managed to see most of the second half of your cup game Fizzy, and while you are right about the quality not being amazing I was impressed by the attitude of your players, they chased balls that they could not be sure of getting and they seemed to put everything into the game.

I was a bit troubled that most of the commentators just expected your team to lose, they really talked about them as underdogs (in a bad way) I thought that was strictly an English thing.

It is about time us not so good teams stopped treating the so called elite like we cant ever beat them.

Boro finished Arsenals unbeaten record by basically chasing them all over the field (no violence) I wish we still had that spirit
Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

It was freezing Ally, the snow was worse in the first half.

Its par for the course with the commentators, the old firm only ever get beaton cos they've played badly, never cos the wee team have actually played well.

Dissapointed though, thats 4 semi finals in 4 years we've lost.

A wee bit more belief last night was required, we started with one up front, when we attacked more in the 2nd half we looked all right but it was 2 - 0 by then.

Snow was bad coming home, got to bed around 1.00 am, was a struggle to get up for work this morning
Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Absolutely agree, when we beat Arsenal it was all about what they did wrong and no talk about what we did right.

Sounds like you had a very stressful and disappointing night
Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Coronation St makes akward viewing tonight, recovering alcoholic starts drinking again, good reminder why I don't want to go back there.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I'll still be at the football tomorrow though Ally.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

yeah but fizzy...better to see the example on TV where it's not real than in real life
Old 02-06-2010, 03:37 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

What People drank in The Middle Ages and Renaissance

By Mero� M. Cahill (Rohese de Fairhurst)

Water
Water was rarely drunk due to the difficulties in obtaining clean drinking water (typhoid and other water-borne diseases were highly prevalent). If water had to be drunk, spring water was preferred, as it was less likely to cause disease than river water or still water (pond water). Water was also believed to be bad for the digestion, as they believed that it would chill the stomach and hinder digestion of food.

Wine
Wine was believed to be very good for the health, and was commonly drunk with meals as it was also readily produced in many areas in Europe, and easily transported and stored. Good quality wines were the most popular mealtime drink of nobility, although poorer people could sometimes afford low quality wines.

Some wines contained a lower percentage of alcohol, and thus were more suitable for drinking relatively large volumes without intoxication (French fishermen were allotted a ration of 2.5-3 litres of wine per day!).

It was recommended that children under the age of 5 didn�t drink wine, as �it would curdle the milk they were drinking�, while children under the age of 14 should drink wine which had been watered down to make it less potent.

Both red and white wine produced from grapes were popular, but wine could also be produced from other fruits (anything containing sugar can be used to produce wine).

Spiced Wines
Spiced or mulled wines were also enjoyed. These were used as an aperitif, or to clear the palate after a meal. Spiced wines were also believed to have medicinal qualities.

Hippocras was a red wine which was flavoured with spices such as ginger, cinnamon, sugar, cloves, galingale or nutmeg. Claret was a spiced wine which was often made from a white wine, and was flavoured with cloves, nutmeg, mace, caraway, ginger, pepper and other spices.

Beers and Ales
Beer and ales were very popular drinks, although they were generally consumed by lower class people rather than the nobility (who generally preferred drinking wine).

Beer was made from grains such as oats, wheat, barley or rye, while hops were not added to beer in England until after their introduction to England in 1525 (although they had previously been used in beer production in Flanders for several hundred years). Hops add a bitter taste to beer, so most medieval beers would have lacked the bitter taste of modern beers.

Ales could also be flavoured with spices, similar to spiced wines. These spiced ales were called �braggots�.

Mead
Mead is produced by fermenting a honey and water mixture. Mead could also be flavoured with various spices, either during production or immediately before drinking. Mead was considered to be an ideal drink for invalids by the physicians of the time.

Cider and other fruit juices
Fruit juices were drunk as either fresh fruit juice, or were fermented to produce alcoholic drinks like cider or perry.

Cider is produced from whole apples, while perry is produced from pears. Murrey comes from blackberries or black mulberries, while prunelle is made from plums. A more unusual fruit juice is made from ground and strained pomegranate seeds.

Milk
Milk was not popular as a drink for adults- its use was generally confined to young children. Kumiss, which is an alcoholic drink made from fermented mare�s milk, was popular in the Middle East, but was only drunk in European countries when recommended by a physician.

Tea & Coffee
Tea & coffee were not commonly drunk in Europe during our time period. Herbal infusions were sometimes drunk for their medicinal qualities, but tea was not commonly drunk until after our time period. Coffee was extremely popular in the Middle-East, and was introduced to Constantinople in 1554, but did not become popular throughout Europe for another 100 years.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

So if you look back in history most folk must have been bevied most of the time, difference though I suppose is that you didn't live that long anyway, chances were you got run through with a sword long before your liver packed in.

Half those french fishermen drinking 3 litres of wine a day probably fell in and drowned.

If you were drinking alcohol every day instead of water you'd never get any signs of addiction as you'd never suffer withdrawels.

Thinking about myself, my life was really a misery through drink when I couldn't drink, during holiday periods when I could just quietly top myself up whenever I wanted life was pretty good, silly thing is though I only felt as good as I do now sober, I was making myself ill then drinking regular small amounts of alchohol through out the day to feel normal, crazy.

Of course you often got that wrong as well and drank too much and end up roaring drunk at 10.00 am in the morning.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:56 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Also if you believe Alcoholism runs in families, is it any wonder when all our forfathers maybe had available for them to drink was alcohol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I like the fact that Coronation Street is showing alcoholism as it really is, a lot of the time TV and film treat it like something you get over in a few weeks and it's never mentioned again.

I didn't find it triggering, if anything it reminded me how easy it is to fall into the "it will be different this time around" trap.

Also I have a weird crush on Peter Barlow lol an alcoholic bigamist!

I need to raise my standards.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Raise your standards, I reckon you need to get some standards !!!!!!!!!!!

It is good to see it more realistic though, your right, sure in Neighbours years back sombody started drinking on the monday, was an alcoholic by wednesday and been to a meeting and cured by friday.

I'm trying to ignore the fact we got beat today and have been knocked out of both cups in 4 days !!!!!!!!!