Notices

Codependency And Beyond - Part 9

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

As I have not had a partner since the last XABF, I'm out of the loop on this topic. I know, for me, if I get intimate with someone, I get involved completely, and I'm not ready to go there yet. I MISS the intimacy, but I know I'm not ready for a relationship and living at home doesn't make a relationship an easy option...having dad ask where I am, who I am with just doesn't set well with me.

I was so sleepy, earlier, I was SURE I'd be fast asleep. However, sleep didn't come and instead, I got on several of my job search sites....sigh. I will go to the one restaurant that only takes applications on Tue. tomorrow and also go Kmart (my nurse told me they are hiring). I'm just afraid I will get hired there (where I'd rather not work, but it's a job), then get called by one of the restaurants I applied at (where I DO want to work).

My mind just couldn't get into studying, so will start that tomorrow. My plan is to stay at it and get through this semester ASAP. The faster I can get through school, the faster I can get a better job. My dr. has already said I can do my practicum with his office. I'm sure he will even let me just hang around the office and learn how things work, as long as he doesn't have to pay me

I'm going to try, again, to get back to sleep.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

You are reading from The Language Of Letting Go by Melody Beattie Copyright - 1990 The Hazelden Foundation

Healthy Sexuality

November 23

Many areas of our life need healing.

One important part of our life is our sexuality. Our feelings and beliefs about our sexuality, our ability to nurture, cherish, and enjoy our sexuality, our ability to respect ourselves sexually, our ability to let go of sexual shame and confusion, may all be impaired or confused by our codependency.

Our sexual energy may be blocked. Or for some of us, sex may be the only way we learned to connect with people. Our sexuality may not be connected to the rest of us; sex may not be connected to love - for ourselves or others.

Some of us were sexually abused as children. Some of us may have gotten involved in sexually addictive behaviors - compulsive behaviors that got out of control and produced shame.

Some of us may have gotten involved in sexual codependency: not paying attention to what we wanted, or didn't want, sexually; allowing ourselves to get involved sexually because it was what the other person wanted; shutting off our sexuality along with our other feelings; denying ourselves healthy enjoyment of ourselves as sexual beings.

Our sexuality is a part of ourselves that deserves healing attention and energy. It is a part of us that we can allow to become connected to the whole of us; it is a part of us that we can stop being ashamed of.

It is okay and healthy to allow our sexual feelings to open up and become healed. It is connected to our creativity and to our heart. We do not have to allow our sexual energy to control us or our relationships. We can establish and maintain healthy appropriate boundaries around our sexuality. We can discover what that means in our life.

We can enjoy the gift of being human beings who have been given the gift of sexual energy, without abusing or discounting that gift.

Today, I will begin to integrate my sexuality into the rest of my personality. God, help me let go of my fears and shame around my sexuality. Show me the issues I need to face concerning my sexuality. Help me open myself to healing in that area of my life.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hello everyone...

I just spent the last twenty-four hours in the hospital with my daughter.
We , the hospital and I thought she may be having a relapse(leukaemia) all of her symptoms pointing to it...
I have not said anything here, but I have been concerned for a while now that, her increased fatigue and her low platelets, might be an sign that she was heading for trouble..

So when we went in, and they put her in isolation right away, I knew they were thinking it too.

She had been at Vesta for four days, and the whole time she had a severe migraine....they didn't seem to realize the seriousness of her situation and she wound up calling me at midnight to come and get her...

Her bloodwork came back okay and I heaved a grateful sigh.. they did a CT scan and there was no bleeding in the brain, thank God..

And so, the diagnosis was a protracted and severe migraine.. we are going to see the doctor to get her on a migraine med that works so she can get off the narcotics they have put her on..

The gift in all of this is that she knows she has come to a place where she needs to make some changes to her life re: stress and migraines.. she gets them and now I think she knows now she needs to adopt behaviors(meditation) that will keep her stress load from getting to the point where she risks a protracted migraine again.

I am so glad it all turned out okay, prayer works

She made some calls today to a therapist she has worked with and has been waiting to work with again and also a pdoc she met last week with whom she felt real good (mom, I can cry in front of him). Inspite of her pain, she was a little disappointed in the program..she is looking for a more intensive inner work program. So she has decided to work with her therapist and the pdoc whom she can do talk therapy with and continue her meetings and also do some vesta functions....she got a lot out of this exercise for her self...a stepping stone indeed...and I am doing okay

...lol...I am okay but tired I guess...SG just pm'ed me and said I did yesterday's reading...thank you...sorry folks....here comes today's

Last edited by grateful2b; 11-24-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

You are reading from The Language Of Letting Go by Melody Beattie Copyright - 1990 The Hazelden Foundation

Surrender

November 24

Surrender means saying, "Okay, God. I'll do whatever you want" Faith in the God of our recovery means we trust that, eventually, we'll like doing that.

Today, I will surrender to my Higher Power. I'll trust that God's plan for me will be good, even if it is different than I hoped for or expected.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, Grateful, that must have been so scary! You and your daughter continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

(((Amy))) (((Everyone)))

HG
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

(((Grateful))) - I'm so glad she is okay, and that she knows what she wants and is best for her as far as recovery and her migraines. My neurologist told me that narcotics are actually bad for migraines so he has me on the topamax at night and treximet for breakthrough pain. It took some adjusting with the topamax, but mine are under good control. I had told him "I'm a recovering addict and I don't WANT narcotics" from the get-go and he said "good, because you're not going to get any from me!" However, my stepsister has them pretty bad and occasionally has to go to the ER for a shot of Demerol to get relief, after taking her imitrex (it's the shot - my treximet is the same med, but in a pill form with aleve added). I gave her some treximet and she says it works better than the imitrex but it's expensive.

YOU get some rest, okay?

I went to the one restaurant, today, that only takes applications on Tue. morning or afternoon and had the BEST results, thus far. I gave it to the asst. mgr, she looked it over, asked why I wanted to work there, and I was honest - I love the restaurant chain, have grown up eating there and have never had bad service or food. I said a few other things, felt very confident. She called the mgr over, he asked the same things and I told him, basically the same. I explained that I love the restaurant industry, working with people, especially kids, and that I have been loyal to my job, but I was no longer making enough money there, traveling too far, and have been robbed twice, the last time being "rather traumatic". He said "I see you have server experience" and I said "as well as drive through, dress, washing dishes..everything but cooking" and he said "oh, wow". He shook my hand and said he'd give me a call if they had an opening.

Nothing for sure, but I had a really good feeling when I left. They have benefits, it's about 12 miles from my house, and this particular restaurant has a 50's theme and is just really neat. I went to K-Mart, who is also hiring, but need to do it online. It is seasonal, and not really what I want, but I need money. Besides, I would get a discount, and there's no telling how long it will take for this settlement to go through and I will actually have to leave my job.

So, I will catch up here on SR, fill out their online application, then start on my school work as THAT is my ticket to a real job.

As I walked into that restaurant, I was telling God "I really, really want this job, but Your will, not mine - I know"

It's a dark and dreary day, so the cats are in and comfy.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Last edited by Impurrfect; 11-24-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh, so scary Grateful!

Thank heavens it ended well.

And, I think your point is right on. The stress of being an active addict played havoc with my migraines too, and though I still do get them, it`s not nearly as bad now. And, you`re right, it`s not just `not drinking`, it`s finding peace in daily life. I am sure your daughter has learned from the experience and is now making some good choices about her recovery program.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Grateful~ I'm glad it all turned out okay. I can't imagine how petrifying that had to be.

Impurrfect~ I hope the job works out for you Hon!

Well....I did it. I went to my first AA meeting today =) I tried to go last night, made it to the parking lot and out of the car only to turn around and leave! But this morning I made it all the way in the room. Everyone was so nice, so welcoming. The first time I introduced myself I only said my name, nothing else. Later on as the meeting when on and I listened, I related to a lot that was said. I actually ended up sharing, which surprised me to no end because I was not planning on it. I said my name, followed by "and I'm an alcoholic" I paused for a second and realized it was the first time I had said that out loud. I said so to the group and they all clapped for me. It felt good and so surreal. I don't remember a lot of the meeting since I was so anxious! My hands were shaking so bad when I got there I couldn't even hold my coffee. But I went, I got the Big book and the 12 steps and traditions book. They gave me a list of numbers, this group meets at 10am tues, wed and thurs. I will go again tomorrow.

I'm glad I went...so glad I went.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

(((Grateful)) all that must have been very overwhelming for you, take good care of yourself, sending hugs and prayers.

(((Amy)) I hope and pray you get that job...oh I would love to go there with the 50's theme, right up my alley..

My youngest daughter has had problems with migraines the last couple of years, she has been on hydromorphine which is a low dose of morphine..I am totally uncomfortable with that. It really scares me. But her doctor says its ok and she says its the only thing thats working...Anyway today's reading about surrender, this is one of the things I have to surrender, put her in God's hands...
Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

(((Grateful))) PTL that your daughter's news was good...and that it sounds like she is getting a handle on things...which allows you to find some peace too. God Bless. I read your "prayer works" statement three times...glad that it works for you...wishing it worked all the time...hoping that it will. I'm still working on that one...but SO GLAD that it wasn't a relapse for your girl.

((((Amy))) I so hope you get that job. I would love to have you as my server, I think. What fun you would be!! Hugs in your directions.

(((Mariposa))) REALLY GLAD you went and liked your AA meeting. I hope you continue to find support and healing as you go.

Hugs to all. I have to go buy Thanksgiving food. The girls are going to do all the cooking this year...YEY! It will be stressful though, as the husband is pushing to finalize the whole divorce thing by the end of the year. I don't know why it has to go so fast, as we've both been miserable for 24 years...but whatever...I'm too tired to protest too much.

Later! :ghug3
Old 11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

(((Mariposa))) So happy for you!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Thank you everyone well, we have a referral for her for a neurologist...and she is going to start on amytripline as well as celebrex on trial for break-through pain...I was happy that he would not give her any more percocet, whew! I wasn't worried about the addiction aspect but rather the rebound affect and the nasty side effects of that narcotic(emotional). Amy, unfortunately they do not have Treximet here. There has been a shift in her since she has been back from Vesta and it is good.

Oh (((Mariposa))) that is wonderful! and I know, for you, so huge..yay!!
I am glad it went so well for you and you shared, first meeting! you were so anxious but you shared...brave girl...I know I am proud

Amy, I love this Ralph, can't add a thing...a wonderful reading to look at first thing in the morning before we start the day...thank you..Amy, my prayers continue for you as you job hunt...if this job is for you, you will certainly get it

HG, I hope all goes well with the endoscopy...
Old 11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

(((Mariposa))) - I'm so PROUD of you!!!! I went to several meetings, back when I went, and finally found my home group at the Alano club, but also went to women's meetings there and a few others around town. Can't really say I ever found a bad one, though I know people who have...guess I was just lucky.

Brit and her best friend have had, what I hope, is their final falling out. Brit is tremendously angry as Brooke is talking bad about her...they both want to fight. I blocked phone numbers from Brooke, her sister and her mom from Brit's phone (her request) and have spent the afternoon trying to calm her down. I reminded her that living her life, having her TRUE friends would "get" to Brooke way more than fighting would and if any friends turned their back on her simply because of something Brooke said, well, they aren't true friends.

I have to remember how important any kind of relationship is when you're a teenager. I was watching a true crime show last night and it was about teen killers but the clinical psychologist said "to a teenager, their relationships are their lives...they HAVE to have them" so I've been reminding myself of that. I remember thinking I couldn't LIVE without my best friend when I was young.

The good thing is, though she was screaming at my stepmom, she never once raised her voice at me, and she did listen. Whether or not we'll get a call that she's been picked up for fighting? Who knows. I told her if she gets picked up, that's HER choice and HER fault.

Of course, stepmom is all in a tizzy, worried that Brooke's mom will cause problems, calling DFACS about the stuff that has happened with dad and Brit. I know a few things about HER, so she really doesn't need to go there (She called Brit to find her some methadone when she couldn't afford to go to the clinic, for one).

I'm back in my hula hoop, Brit is with her boyfriend, and I'm studying. I just got dad and I paid for stores we did a couple of months ago. The guy who pays us had shoulder surgery so was out of it for a while. I will give the $$ to dad, to pay him back for my cell phone bill that I haven't been able to pay, with the understanding I may need to get a little bit back....but hope not. It feels good to help him out and pay a bit of debt back.

Okay, back to my book. This course is actually something I'm familiar with AND interesting!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-24-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
mergirl

annie, I hear tell it does work, just not always the way we think it should, hang in there honey.

Grateful, I'm almost speechless. I'm so terribly glad that she is ok, I'm sure I would have lost my mind. ~~hugs

amy~wheeee!!!

Suz, Im so so glad too <3

hugs for the rest of yas
Old 11-25-2009, 01:15 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

I THOUGHT I only had to take 4 tests for this course..found out after I looked in the back of the book, I've got 8 "research" questions to answer - about a paragraph each. Anyway, it's 4 a.m. and all 4 tests are done. The 2nd one was harder than I thought...made a 95, 80, 100, 100. I'm about to go to sleep, will work on the questions later today - whenever I wake up. I got really down after the 80, but just went on to the next part of the book and did my best. I am very quick to beat myself up

Here's another good "Ralph". I really wonder how he knows what's going on with me, some days?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

THE DAILY MOTIVATOR
Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Positively frustrated
+++++++++++++++++++

When you feel the need to feel frustration, go ahead and be
fully frustrated. Then, be done with it and get on with
making positive progress.

Though frustration can feel awful, it is not entirely a bad
thing. Because frustration shines a light on your positive
passions.

The only people who are never frustrated are people who
never attempt anything. When you're committed to creating
real value, there is going to be some frustration along the
way.

So go ahead and feel that frustration when it comes. Allow
it, accept it and welcome it.

When you do, something interesting happens. As soon as you
stop fighting it, as soon as you understand what your
frustration is telling you, it goes away.

Peacefully let your frustration run its course, and listen
carefully as it does. What you're left with is a renewed
sense of purpose and passion to move forward.

Ralph Marston
Old 11-25-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  
mergirl

I made a 4.0 all the way through city college. I had just started at the uni for my 4 year, when john died. I had only taken one class my first semester, to test the waters, and I had 4/5 projects done, all with As. I stopped going

My instructor mailed me a letter, saying he hated to give me a C, but that he would have to if I didn't turn in my final project. He left my grade open for a year.

As the year end approached, I though long and hard about my 4.0. I thought of all the stress it had caused. All of the unnecessary extra credit I had done to pad my grade. All of the time I could have spent being with my family, and being in a better mood. I wrote final paper, but instead of mailing it, I mailed him a thank you letter, for taking the time to care. I told him I would be grateful for the C.

No one save ourselves ever looks at those grades Amy. There is little difference in a 3.8 GPA and a 3.2, accept maybe peace of mind. Be good to yourself, your on the Dean's list, enjoy that for awhile before you start beating up on our favorite girl!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

You are reading from The Language Of Letting Go by Melody Beattie Copyright 1990 The Hazelden Foundation

Awareness

November 25

When we first become aware of a problem, a situation, or a feeling, we may react with anxiety or fear. There is no need to fear awareness. No need.

Awareness is the first step toward positive and growth. It's the first step toward solving the problem, or getting the need met, the first step toward the future. It's how we focus on the next lesson.

Awareness is how life, the Universe, and our Higher Power get our attention and prepare us for change. The process of becoming changed begins with awareness. Awareness, acceptance, and change - that's the cycle. We can accept the temporary discomfort from awareness because that's how we're moved to a better place. We can accept the temporary discomfort because we can trust God, and ourselves.

Today, I will be grateful for any awareness I encounter. I will display gratitude, peace, and dignity when life gets my attention. I will remember that it's okay to accept the temporary discomfort from awareness because I can trust that its my Higher Power moving me forward.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

((Lisa)) - thanks, sweetie. I remember how much I wanted to graduate with honors from nursing school. When mom died a week after I completed my 1st year, I could care less about honors...I just wanted to get through it. I think I had a 3.4 in the end. It's the darned "perfectionist" trait I have, and am working hard to LOSE that trait and you just helped.

Wow, today's reading sort of goes along with "Ralph's" reading! Awareness, frustration...getting through the uncomfortable feelings to the other side. Pretty cool! Must be a message in there!

I slept until 3! Haven't even looked at the research questions yet, but will get to them.

We are all going to my stepsisters tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it. Get to spend time with my niece and nephew, who just ADORE me and Brit and we will, for the day, be all together! Got to find out where I've put my camera.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Thankyou Grateful and Amy for the readings....

Today is the anniversary of when my Mom passed away, seven years ago...its hard to believe it was that long ago, time goes so fast..I really miss our phone calls, we use to talk on Mon and Fri. mornings..also miss her coming out to visit..
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Oh (((SG))), .... I understand... I find myself thinking about something and wanting to discuss it with mine and remembering she is no longer here...I miss our chats...and they cannot be replaced...that mother-daughter bond...so unique...hugs..

((Amy)), thank you so much for Ralph...