Notices

Living In Sobriety - Part 21

Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Dunno about the smiley, it is quite deranged.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I felt fine with it, HOS. But as time went on I was happy to leave. Enjoyed it though.
Excellent, Bro. I think I have crossed a line, of sorts. I no longer stare at the glass, get either wistful or resentful...frankly the smell now repels me and if someone is feeling the worse for wear, I feel very grateful it's not me!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Happy you had a nice time Stone. I too hope you hear something soon on the tests.

Tonights meeting was on Patience and Tolerance. Heard alot of good sharing there.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

TO: least (recovering) --I have a daughter (now 28) who unfortunately saw me drunk many times during her teen years. Things were OK while she was in college and the past few years, but this past year my drinking got worse and she certainly knew it. She lives many miles away but would scream/yell at me over the phone or give me the cold shoulder. I finally told her (before I stopped drinking) that she could take me or leave me, but she had to do it unconditionally, whether I was in the shape she wanted me to be or not. If she couldn't accept that, I said we might as well call it a day. It took her about a month or so, but she called back and we had a long talk about it and she agreed that she wanted a mom and just wanted the best for me but that she would be there for me in any event. Don't know if this approach would work for you, but you might give it a try. All the best to you and don't let it get you down too much. Kids are a trial NO MATTER WHAT. If you would have been completely sober, she probably would have found something else to complain about.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Bee are you having a Roseanne Roseannadanna day?

ken, thanks for the reminder,

i used to have conversations with fruit!

and many a day, they talked back!

just back from a meeting,

a gal i knew for years walked in,

and dang, did i know that look!

it was my look the day i walked in the room.

scoot'n down to the inters.

its called, being good to myself! lol

been a long day
Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by HideorSeek View Post
.....................................WOW>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MAJOR WILLIE ALERT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Here's my side of the story. I was looking for a yoga retreat...possibly in CA....so googled around, but didn't find anything compelling. I was doing a woman's addiction workbook at the time, by Lisa Najavits, and she mentioned a woman by the name of Charlotte Kasl, who intrigued me....I googled HER and came up with her teaching schedule, which brought me to Kripalu, and the place sounded awesome. Although I never made it, becasue of one thing and another, it's on my "to-do" list for next summer! And, if that's not enough, Najavits REALLY impressed me and it turns out, she is based in BOSTON!!!!! I found my current therapist becasue my old sponsor gave me a great book to read, entitled "The Transformative Power of Crisis". I felt such an immediate bond with the author, that I managed to get a hold of him, and voila, he has been my therapist for over 2 years.

Pretty amazing stuff.....my HP doesn't take any chances....he/she whacks me over the head!
That is very cool HideorSeek. I love how it all came together and... The author is your therapist! WoW!

I may try for Kripalu again next summer if my schedule allows. I am planning on Baron Baptiste's level 2 boot camp for teachers though so while my schedule might permit it, my bank account might not lol! Still if I take another workshop at Kripalu I do get CEU's .
Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Just checking in as I just got home, tired now. I had a good time though. My friend was drinking....I wasn't.
Good for you babes . I missed where you went off to though. Fill me in on FB message so as not to bore everyone here with old news. Glad you didn't drink! Very frizen proud of you.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by least View Post
AFter an hour of screaming and cussing and accusations I did indeed bring her back to sister's. Dk has what is called Oppositional Defiant Disorder and is the poster child for this disorder... I will have to keep our relationship 'long distance' or I'll lose what's left of my mind...
Do what's right for you leasty. I know you still have plenty of mind left to lose so don't worry too much .
Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Big collective hi and good night to everyone.

I've been up since 4:30am... taught 5 classes today, shopped, decorated, paid some bills and went to the dentist. He said to give the mouth time to calm down. Oh if he only knew my mouth will never calm down . His assistant suggested I could have a hairline fracture in which case it would need to be extracted after all of this root canal biz . I am letting the tooth calm down. I like having teef and don't want another pulled. I've lost 2 in the past.She also said to give it time... that I'm probably just having a bad reaction to the procedure.

I teach power at 10am and then need a few more mums & pumpkins for the front of the house... a few more strobe lights and that fog machine. Did I mention that I don't see the point in decorating for Halloween ?!

I may take a hatha class since I haven't had time to really do my own practice this week with the girls drs appts and such. And then...

The prodigy and I are going to another Kirtan at that same place we went to see Wah & Girish. Just her and I... it's going to be special. She doesn't even like kirtan but said she'd come so we could have mom and daughter bonding time :-). We'll be seeing

Bhagavan Das (yogi) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

//www.bhagavandas.com/home.html!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post
TO: least (recovering) --I have a daughter (now 28) who unfortunately saw me drunk many times during her teen years. Things were OK while she was in college and the past few years, but this past year my drinking got worse and she certainly knew it. She lives many miles away but would scream/yell at me over the phone or give me the cold shoulder. I finally told her (before I stopped drinking) that she could take me or leave me, but she had to do it unconditionally, whether I was in the shape she wanted me to be or not. If she couldn't accept that, I said we might as well call it a day. It took her about a month or so, but she called back and we had a long talk about it and she agreed that she wanted a mom and just wanted the best for me but that she would be there for me in any event. Don't know if this approach would work for you, but you might give it a try. All the best to you and don't let it get you down too much. Kids are a trial NO MATTER WHAT. If you would have been completely sober, she probably would have found something else to complain about.
Hi Asta1, Nice to see you on LIS. welcome! I agree with you kids will be kids and we need tolerance and patience with them, but I also think its very very important for us to own our own behaviour regarding the damage done to them through our drinking. Children that grown up in a home with constant abuse (ie alcoholism and all that goes with it), become very argry and depressed. Its a family disease and the whole family get sick, therefore the whole family need to recover and that takes some time. Building up trust and a loving home where people can talk to each other about their hurts is all part of recovery.
One of the greatest gifts of my recovery was to watch my child begin to trust me again. eventually we grew together and today we have a very healthy relationship. Yes there were difficult times but it was very important for me to realize I had damaged my child emotionally and thats not easy to accept!!! Today my child is a healthy young adult! thanks to the 12 steps of AA and an honest desire to recover on my part. The ripple effect of alcoholism effects the whole family but the ripple effects of recovery...(.for me that was regular meetings, sponsor, and applying the 12 steps to my life) also effects the whole family.
I dont expect my child to put up with a drunken mother.........I wouldnt!! But thats just for me.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Morning the LIS crew, Im off to my Home Group. I am grateful and content. Catch you all later xox
Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nelco, it's not just me and my short but brilliant career as a drunk. It's also dk and her own mental illness that keeps us 'at odds' with each other. She's not getting any help cause she refuses all help. Won't go to counseling, won't take her antidepressants, won't listen to or accept any opinion other than that she is treated unfairly, by life and by me. I've done everything I can do but she refuses to accept me as I am.

I ask for your prayers that our relationship can be healed.:praying I'm doing all I can do but it all falls on deaf ears as she refuses to listen to me or even try to get along.

And the only 'constant abuse' that went on in our family is my two year venture into alcoholism. Before that happened our family was pretty 'normal' and happy. I DO own my own behavior and am responsible for the damage done while was drinking. But now that I'm sober and trying hard to make it right, she refuses to see any changes and only focuses on the past. I'm trying to live in the present and do right for today, but keep getting dragged back into the past and beaten over the head with my past mistakes. I am asking God to help her accept me for who I am, as only God can help her.

Last edited by least; 10-24-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

mor'n/eve'n LIS

gyps
Oh if he only knew my mouth will never calm down

least, next time dk asks for something,

smile, and say "Wont!"

blessed day LIS

xxooxxoo

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Good Morning Rusty Thanks you the smile.

Welcome Asta

Up early, well its not really early, but I am up, have my HG this morning then home to clean, clean, clean, make everything spiffy for daughters b'day.

Ro, I need that Maid service, send them to Jersey, Please!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:32 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Oh, last night a woman at my meeting told me about a retreat the first weekend in January, I think I might go to it. It will be a great way to start my new year, and its right on the beach. I always wanted to go to a retreat, so this is a good thing.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

A retreat sounds like a great start to the year, Donna.

I would like to do a Buddhist retreat sometime.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Yeah Stoney, I'm pumped about it. I have always thought a retreat would be a great thing and now to start the new year off with one, WOW, can you tell I'm excited, lol.

A Buddist retreat sounds like a good thing for you Stoney, have you checked them out online? Maybe there is one you could get to.

A few of the women in the program with alot of years, have been offering me different things to do in my program, they said they don't want me to get bored and they keep saying I didn't lose those 15 years, but to me they are past and gone. But I'm very grateful for these women offering these suggestions to me in recovery. They are all good ones.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HideorSeek View Post
Excellent, Bro. I think I have crossed a line, of sorts. I no longer stare at the glass, get either wistful or resentful...frankly the smell now repels me and if someone is feeling the worse for wear, I feel very grateful it's not me!

It was weird, I really didn't care about it. I just left when he started to be effected by it and started talking crap.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Stone, I find that I don't like to be around people when they are getting messed up either. It turns me completely off.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Morning!

Getting ready for the first day of our adventure! Indianaanna Jones, I am!

You mention retreats....let's all go to Kripalu!!!!!!

About your friend and being around drinking..."ditto", (short and sweet, I like it!) Told you most of my posts could be reduced to "ditto"

Nel.."ditto"......as well....