Notices

August Sobriety Group Pt 5

Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

ugh, can't focus.

managed to get through the night sober. still battling this flu... i'm so new at sobriety for this, but i guess i gotta take em as they come.

feel like hell, and i think it's worse than detox... maybe just less familiar.

and i feel bad, 'cause every year in october i get to overdoing it... since school started, october's been a bad month. one year i got broken into, fired and evicted in a 48hour period. lost it, had to fix it in december. last year was bout the same. laid off, no chance at a new job. came back to reality a little faster though--two weeks and maybe four gallons, then back to a fifth a day so i could finish out the semester. that was the time i almost died too, trying to quit.

this year, it hasn't been the liquor keeping me out of class and doing what i gotta do. it's been this dang old flu.

it's so depressing, seems even doing better i get the same results. maybe i have to do perfect. and i don't think i can do that...

flu-ily y'alls,
tb
Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

((Hugs))TB...

Sorry you are having such a tough time with the flu...be gentle with yourself, and let you body heal.

You almost died last year, but, you didn't...there is a reason you are still here with us...
and we are glad you are here!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

i'm taking it *very* easy today too.

first flu sober, i don't know what to do, but i know if i wanna get back on track, this has to be behind me.

the schoolwork... eeee... well, i know i can get by, and if i have to do something, i can usually pull of b's dead drunk (ie, not maintenance drunk, but actually 'gone') so i figure i can do the same with a flu--if i have to.

gonna spend the day here in bed reading for tomorrow's test, and writing little papers that are coming up. only one thing bothers me, and unfortunately, that's in the class where i made the deal, so no dice, i gotta do my best and hope for the same...

i'll probably be around most the day.
take care,
tb
Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.
I agree with you TJ, drinking was not fun in the end, but I kept doing it anyway. The habit of drinking, reaching 4 that beer..?, the ways that I tried 2 cope with life's, problems..?; don't know the answer 2 why I continued, but just knew I had 2 quit, before it killed me or I killed someone.
bdiddy funny you should mention the commercials. Yes, they do advertise frequently.
Has any one ever seen a commercial where someone is waking up hungover, (hair all matted, breath like a loin) feeling like crap and then they crack open a beer/bottle? Would love 2 see one of those; the reality of the poison and the truth. Just "drink responsible" is not enough!
Had a great Halloween party. (Sorry BF, about the candy and pumkins.) Over 20 friends, who brought a dish and most a bottle. It was hard being the hostess and 2 not drink. My husband had 2, WOW, a record 4 him, since he might have 1-2 a year. Anyway as the night progressed, I noticed a few had way 2 much. Thought of taking pictures, but did not. ( a little evil in me, LOL) The volume of there speech became louder, the slurring was pronounced. Saw a lot of flirting and touching that should not of happened, if they were sober. It got me 2 thinking...yes, I most probably was like that. (Party ended after midnight and everyone got home safe.)
(Thirty and bdiddy) hope U both feel better soon. Thirty congratulations on the 10 days, U can do this!
(VC) U R not a loser, the alcohol just has a grip on you, been there. Put the beer down and start again, U can do this too.
(Box) I hope U R feeling better. Exercising works, keep it up.
(Banana) congratulations.
:ghug3 2 all that I missed.
Doing good, still sober and stronger; taking it ODAAT.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Meow

TB - sorry you have that nasty flu. I hear it's a bear to get rid of. However, I can't imagine that drinking would actually make it feel better.

VC Bdiddy - you can do it. I know you can.

Glad to see others doing well - TJ, TC, Anono, Anew, BF, banana How's it going, Box? Hope I didn't miss anyone - if I did, (((hugs))) to you too.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

hi all, quick pop in to read some posts and say goodnight...

will do proper catch up later
'
kate
Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good Morning! :) :) :)

QUOTE OF THE DAY (from SparkPeople.com)
"Plant seeds of expectation in your mind; cultivate thoughts that anticipate achievement. Believe in yourself as being capable of overcoming all obstacles and weaknesses." ~Norman Vincent Peale

traderjane...I think I'm going to have to start telling myself each day that I am not going to drink today because honestly, I don't think about drinking anymore (unless I am visiting SR) and I've had several occassions that I had a drink BECAUSE I'm not thinking about it (that I am an alcoholic and I CAN'T drink...PERIOD). The problem then becomes that even though I don't drink anymore (on a daily basis), when I DO, I DO! One becomes a ton. The good thing is, I don't start drinking daily again. The bad thing is, I'm hungover and sick for the next few days. Ugh. I hope that made sense. In a nutshell, until I have made "not drinking alcohol - EVER" a habit, I need to be THINKING about not drinking. Strange because the way I stopped drinking daily was to NOT think about it! LOL Okay, now I'm talking in circles!

ANEW...I'm so glad that meetings are helping you along this path! :) It's so nice to have something to look forward to everyday! I LOVE that feeling :) You sound FABULOUS! Gotta love having renewed energy! I'm still waiting for that...LOL

(((thirty)))...Sick is NO FUN and I understand how it would make you feel depressed. Just remember, once you get all the alcohol out of your system and start along a path to health, you will get sick much less often! :) And if you do, it won't be nearly as bad. Take good care! I wish I could bring you some soup!

tallcactus...You sound AMAZING! :) You must have quite a number of days now as well! CONGRATS! YOU GO GIRL! SOOOO well done! :) You are an inspiration! (((hugs)))

Hi PC...How are you doing?

anono...Looking forward to catching up with you later! :)

Make it a great day everyone! :) :) :)
Love,
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
Stay strong all. I was doing really well and was just now browsing through a catalog (Pottery Barn or something) and they had these beautiful glasses of wine all lined up with red wine in them next to a plate of cheese ...and I craved it.... just for a minute. What is wrong with ME????
Pavlovian conditioning would be my guess. Even if we rationalize that it's poison, our brain was trained to believe otherwise for so long. That's probably how the drugs like Antabuse work to recircuit the brain. But we might be a little more screwed up than the dogs.

TB and Brent, I hope you'll feel better soon.

Brent, I think the most important first step is deciding that you want a sober life and meaning it. No program, therapist, family member, whatever can do that for you. I'm still struggling with that myself. After this decision has been made, there are so many options to help you in your recovery. If you need formal support and are not an AA person, there are other ways to get it. I've recommended this book here before and will do it again. It really explains and compares all the options for you so you know what's available to try if what you are doing now is not working. But making that first decision is our job and nobody else's. And I mean it like knowing deep down in your heart that you've had enough.

Amazon.com: Sober for Good: New Solutions for Drinking Problems -- Advice from Those Who Have Succeeded (0046442219075): Anne M. Fletcher M.S. R.D.: Books

Have a great day, everybody!

OB
Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Good morning.......so I think I will do the detox thing this Friday or Saturday.......the bf is being really supportive.....says we will do it together.......and no, he does not have the problem I do and I so appreciate him being there for me......not used to that! I am used to being judged and ridiculed........this guy may be a keeper. Like I stated earlier, he will be gone for 9 days so I figure it will be a great time to get my sh&% together. This is getting old.......I am not making good use of my time....what a waste. Sometimes I don't even want to leave the house......I have become a slave to this and I am tired of it. Ok.....enough of my whining..........thanks for listening.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Look how much more active this board is with our leader back! Thanks Melissa!
I am home from work today sick. I woke up at my normal time and there was just no way I was going to make it. I am using this day to get over whatever illness I have and to do some personal reflecting and spending some family time. My wife is on vacation from work today, so we are all home today. I wish I could enjoy it more, but oh well.

Hope everyone is well and staying on track today.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post
Hi PC...How are you doing?
Thanks for asking, BreakFree. Actually, I am quite happy with where I am at the moment. I have made a lot of positive changes.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

BF, I wish you could bring me some soup, too. There is nothing about living in isolation so lonesome as when you're sick. Nobody to bring you soup and crackers, nobody to put the blankets on you properly... It's the saddest part.

VC, that's part of that surrender stuff I never got either and still don't get enough to explain... basically just when you think it'd never happen (for whatever reason, including it never has), it does. You just gotta let go first... and I've always held on to things till I could reach the next thing, so that was very hard for me. It works though, kinda like how even objectively, the bad things that happen to you while drinking are worse than the bad things that happen to you while sober. Of course, I understand none of this, I just now believe it after experiencing it. Best of luck... and yeah, might just be a keeper.

Well, I'm doing better, slept some. Didn't drink at all, didn't go to the store either. I'm avoiding the store till I get better. This would be a disadvantage of living in a state with fairly free alcohol laws...

I'm off to go look at student activism... not my style.

My body still aches, but to all y'all that said liquor won't make it feel better, y'all're right. I just couldn't see it... I really did think it'd make me feel better, I just didn't wanna drink 'cause I knew I wouldn't stop when I felt better.

I feel like I'm detoxing only with a stuffy nose... back to familiar.

"thirty the red nosed bub-ba...
had a very nasty flu
and if you ever saw her
you would swear it's true..."

Take care y'all,
-TB, back in a good mood at least... that wouldn'ta happened if I'd gotten a bottle.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

LOL on the song TB...........hee hee.........your humor is still with you!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Yup. Systems check: humor, check. Sobriety, check. Ability to do anything for the next 3 days, um, no check.

Went to the school clinic. Now I got a SARS mask. I feel like a fool walking around. Whole list of stuff to do. And I can't go to class for 3 days. Or anywhere, really. Unless I bring my SARS mask.

She told me to get some cough syrup. I suggested I should probably have some without alcohol (I'm over the craving, but I don't think tasting alcohol would be good for me right now). She was surprisingly cool with that, and congratulated me on ten days sober.

Well, it gets me out of at least one test. But, dang it, I'm an audio learner. It's so much easier for me to go to the class than read the book, I remember more of it.

Take care y'all,
-TB, not wearing her mask in her room
Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

TB -- so sorry you feel bad. Forgive me for laughing, but the SARS mask comment was too funny. It made me LOL for real. We are going to Disneyworld on Friday and my Mom suggested that we all wear those SARS masks (or as I like to call them, "Bird flu masks" because I bought them during that crisis). I told her that I would feel silly. But maybe we should. My Dad has a wicked case of the flu right now and I'm worried about him because he is in his early 70's and not very strong. I hope he is okay. I keep calling my Mom to check on him.

Breakfree -- I actually followed all of your logic and it made sense. I think it's dangerous when we FORGET about alcohol in that we forget we have a problem with it. Why we do that, I don't know -- but I know I do it. And then we start thinking we can drink like we did in the past and that it will feel the same, etc. It doesn't feel the same. It's a lot worse and my body cannot handle it.

This time around I keep saying, "Today is the day I'm not going to drink...." because I get caught up in the forever part of it and it feels overwhelming. It is important to remind ourselves that we really can't drink ... or we CAN, but the negative consequences are just too severe.

I am feeling good -- hope you all are, too. I can recommend a nice non-alcoholic drink -- GROWN UP SODA (GUS) 100% Natural, not too sweet, Dry Cranberry Lime . Great stuff.

Thanks for the book recommendation OB!!!

Hi to everyone and feel better BD and TB!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

TJ, I think the mask is hilarious. No need for forgiving.

B, hope you get better. Sick is no fun.

Still on bedrest. Roomrest? I haven't been in my bed since I woke up. But I'm taking it easy, eating stuff and drinking lots of water. I was in the chat room all afternoon, but everybody left so I snuck out to go for a walk. I bought some chili fries. They make me happy...

Now I'm very bored, and feeling about like a pit bull on a chain... Funny, I didn't leave much when I could but now that I can't... Grr.

I'm kinda glad I didn't drink this away though. I can't place it, but it's better somehow. I got miserable symptoms, but I still got my sense of humor... maybe that's it.

Take care,
TB, bored as could be
Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone :)

QUOTE OF THE DAY (from SparkPeople.com)
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. ~Unknown
Today's quote is a reality that has begun to ring SO TRUE in my life these days. I am struggling with many things. My health, both mental and physical, must become top priority. Without it, I can't even begin to scratch the surface of all the other things going on in my life. I no longer feel like alcohol is in control of my life, but I realize that I will more than likely always have to abstain from drinking if I wish to be in good health. I am really okay with this. I just wish it weren't so easy to forget when faced with the opportunity to drink outside of my daily routines. For example, social occassions. If I drink at a restaurant or at a social event/gathering, this will not result in my return to daily drinking, but it will effect me in a way that I do not want to be effected.

Okay, time to get moving!
Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi Breakfree!!! Love the daily quotes!

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I have gotten out of the "daily drinking habit" myself --- mostly through SR and you guys. But on those occassions when I do drink, I feel like crap. I give up a restful night's sleep for a short lived (or sometimes non-existent) buzz. I risk getting a DUI (because I don't drink at home anymore). All in all, it's not worth it anymore. And I am fine with drinking my cranberry juice on the rocks at social occasions ... it's going to take a little time for it to feel normal though. I totally understand where you are.

Guys, I won't be checking in for a few days... getting packed for Disneyworld right now. We leave at some ungodly hour in the middle of the night Thursday into Friday morning. So it's going to be packing for me tonight and tomorrow. I'm excited. I will be thinking of you all and will check in when I get back (Tuesday next week!!!)

Take care of yourselves!!!

Laura
Old 11-04-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning "team"

Just checking in. Home sick again today. I slept 13 hours last night! And am still unbelievably tired. Weird. I did take Nyquil last night so I could get some sleep. I know I probably shouldn't have, but I just wanted to sleep so bad! It did work though.

So now I am just bumming around the house. My wife just left for bible study and took our daughter to my parents while she is there. I am just not feeling up to chasing a 14 month old all over the house.

Hope all of you are well, and hanging in there.

TJ- Have fun on your trip. I am sure you will have a great time and I hope you get some relaxing in.

BF- I also enjoy your daily quotes. Keep them coming.

Hugs to everyone.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Good Morning...

It is a beautiful day here...and it matches my upbeat mood!!!!

TJ-have a great time on your trip.

TB-hmmmm...the masked TB..gives you a whole new look!

Bdiddy...glad you got some rest...this flu kicks everyones butt and takes awhile to shake.

BreakFree-thanks for the posts, you really add such an upbeat vibe to this group.

For me., right now, besides meetings...I am trying to stay in the present moment each day. I start with a meditation each morning and prayer for strength not to drink today...and at the end of the day, a thank you prayer and meditation for keeping me sober today. By starting and ending each day that way, it keeps me mindful of this disease...but, takes the obsession away, if that makes sense.

Yesterday, I shared in the meeting..just a brief bit about how at home and peaceful I felt when I first walked in that room two weeks ago yesterday. I actually got a bit teary recalling how I ended up there...wasn't expecting to get that way. But, it is a good thing to acknowledge those feelings for me. I can't tell you how many people came up and hugged me after..and genuine, heartfelt hugs...what a wonderful feeling of support.

Hoping everyones hump day goes well....