# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

September Sobriety Group Part 2

The last part:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-group-20.html
Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Oh, man, I'm sinking to a new low here, but all I can think of is all those (-)s on comment boards who say "first". I've seen this twice now, and I can no longer resist. The posting part, I'll limit it to that, which isn't much restraint, but it's some, I suppose.

I need to learn more self-control.

Since coming to SR/ which coincided with my attempts at sobriety/ don't know which caused which, I have changed a lot. Some things for the better, but I gotta admit my inability to resist posting right now--and I routinely resist posting all the time, on things I feel too strongly, not enough, people already said what I would, people just wanna argue--is for the worse.

I'm going to bed for real now.

Take care y'all,
-TB, who didn't really say it, outside of in a sentence
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anyone have any good suggestions for what to drink when you go out? I know there is always water but it is nice to have something different and it makes other people think you are actually having a drink so they don't constantly question you why you are not drinking.
Primal - thank you so much for your kind words of welcome!

I have found (and my mother, a non-drinker, has recommended) that seltzer water with a splash of lime juice + twist of lime works wonders - it's refreshing, delicious and looks exactly like you're drinking a gin & tonic or something similar. I have managed to fend off over-nosy folks with this.

I am staying away from events (work and otherwise) that serve alcohol for the time being, because until I have at least 30 days of not drinking in, social pressure is going to be difficult for me to avoid.

I am definitely going to attend a beginners AA meeting, too. At 10am I was standing outside my office (I smoke, but one day at a time with this) and I had this sudden rather consuming thought about a beer. At 10am. That has never happened to me before but I did some stretches/deep breathing when I got inside and it went away. This is harder than I thought it would be.

Has anyone here found that writing down a short list of "why I am a non-drinker" and keeping it with them helps deal with temptation/cravings/peer pressure?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No problem racerAK...I will look into that drink, although, I must say, it does sound a littel girly ...although I haven't made a list like that I have read others have and it is probably a good idea.

thirtybubba...hang in there girlfriend...and going to bed is probably a good Idea.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope your getting some rest Tb i finally got a nights rest last night, had to take off work to get it tho. Today is day 4 for me.
Had a rough morning after i woke up so i grabbed a cup of coffee and went outside to find something to occupy myself, I decided to clean my car. I popped the trunk to get a bag and what was there staring at me.... a 6 pack from the weekend before... It got poured down the drain. A tear actually came to my eye while doing it but i DID IT!!
Cleaning my car also made me notice all the drunken dents in it so it was like yet another wake up call...
Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What about club soda with a splash of apple juice in a highball glass. They have apple juice for those appletini things. It won't be too sweet but will look like a scotch and water. Just a thought. I can't stand diet soda either. I'm struggling and hanging onto large glasses of iced tea. OR - virgin margarita - light on the sweet and sour mix?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Jerry palmers .. what it is its half iced tea and half lemon aid , im, told its very tasty and quesnches the thirst... happy first day of Fall everyone , get outside and enjoy the weather while you can .. huggles to all
Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Lonelyranger sounds like you have a good start going - hang in there. BTW my dad was from Pascagoula.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Hi everyone,

It's my first day here -- I'm four days not drinking and still trying to figure it all out. It's going OK now, but I'm a little worried about how to deal with the weekend. And how to tell my DH that I've quit. Not quite sure I'm ready for that discussion.

I have been thinking about quitting drinking for a few months, and on Saturday morning decided I was done. We've been going through a really stressful period in our house -- DH is in school, out of work, and I've been drinking more and more over the past 12
months since he's been out of work. Had a bad couple of evenings in the past few
months, and then Friday night was the kicker.

We actually got good news -- DH got a job! He was out of town when he got the
news and was on his way home, and we were going to celebrate. But he wasn't
going to be home until around midnight, so I went out with some friends to hang
out and socialize, and got a little tipsy. Nothing big. I walked home, and when
I got home DH was there waiting for me, angry that I hadn't been there waiting
for him to arrive. (Even though he knew I was going to be out -- he thought I
would be home before he got there. I was only 10 minutes behind him.)

As often happens when I've been drinking, what could have been a little
disagreement blew up into a major fight. And it's still ongoing. I honestly
don't know if he's being controlling, or if my drinking is a problem (or the
problem), or if we're both just so done over with stress that the littlest thing
made us both blow up. I don't know why this fight is happening now, when we've
got good news. And I know I can't pin it on his drinking, like I do sometimes
when these things blow up. He was definitely sober that night, but is also a
heavy drinker. I'd say we drink a few beers each 5 out of 7 nights a week.

I was almost ready to leave him Friday night. Packed a bag and everything. But
then I couldn't decide if I was overreacting because of the alcohol, or what.
I'm still thinking maybe I should leave, but I still don't know if I'm thinking
clearly about the situation.

I think I'm done with drinking, although I am not quite ready to say I'm done
forever and ever. I honestly don't know where to begin, except for joining this
group. I read through some of the SOS materials on the web, and also read
through some materials on Smart Recovery. They make a lot of sense. I just don't
know if I want to say I'll never drink again.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kez

Originally Posted by pennylane2009 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just don't
know if I want to say I'll never drink again.
Hi pennylane, i know what you mean i feel the same all the time but i have said that a million trillion thillion (if theres such a word) times, and i can tell you for me it just doesnt work im on day 3 today and i feel ok,, but i know in reality i can never ever have a drink again because the whole cycle will jsut start again,, ive tried controlling it and it doesnt work.... but i still feel that fear of never ever drinking again.. but its something i have to accept so i can get through my life the way i want to get through my life and not the way alcohol wants to get me through my life....... but keep going 4 days you are doing well...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome PennyLane

There's nothing wrong with committing a day at a time - I started that way when I first got here in 2007...

This is a good place to be - lots of support, encouragement and advice - not drinking, and being here, might be the space you need to work out what exactly your problems/issues are and what you want to do about them?

It certainly worked like that for me
Hope to see you around

D
Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Welcome Pennylane. Just try it one day at a time like Dee suggested. All we have is today. And for me it is a good day to be sober.
racerak, I've never thought of making a list of why I am a non-drinker but it's a good idea. I made a list of why I was a non-smoker when I quit 2 years ago. Makes sense to do the same now.
Thanks for the ideas about beverages. I drink diet coke. I drink water also but not enough.
Hope everyone has a good sober day today.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

good moring everyone , its gonna ( or supposed ) to be a nice fall day . Took an oppertunity to take a ride yesterday to and treated myself to a Big Train Caramel Ice Rage Coffee .. ooh simple pleasures that make one feel good ,
Got some deals on 2nd hand items to sprouce up the apt . ( changing decor colors ) .Now I know this really dont have much to do with recovery , but then again it does , 1 it gives me something to do and occupy my time , 2 It makes you feel good bout how it looks , and 3 changes can be a good thing in our life . and the best one , with the low $ in wallets these days can find some really great deals at consignment shops , and take your old stuff and make come credit $ for that shop . treating ones self to lil things always make us feel good ,
Welcome PennyLane , were glad your here as well as all the other new commers to this Sept forum . Penny only you can decide if your ready to stop , but as many have said here just focus on the moment at hand , worring bout saying your Never Gonna Drink again is to far down a path you havent even arrived to yet . and besides tomarrow turns into today . I can share one thing that I do know .. Soberity ROCKS! the simple pleasures in like gone un-noticed , time wasted hung over , arguments over silly studip stuff , all gone from my life , Its all changed it didnt happen over nite .. It was something Ive worked at but its one of those I did it and im proud of the work it took feelings . its all up to you , but youve made a great choice in commin here and checkin us out and seeing what its all about ,
We dont judge , were supportive of one another , we know what its like , wever been there , your not alone!
Peace to you all , have a rockin sober day
~ Endzy ~
Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It's day 5 now, and looking fine at the moment. I've got a bit of insomnia, but that's OK. Planning to get some exercise today to maybe get my body a little more tired.

Last night I had a bad craving, and I realized I tend to drink in the evening when things are toughest around here. When I'm done with work, but have all three kids clamoring for attention while I try to make dinner, feed them, clean the kitchen, and then get them all in bed. It's crazytime. Makes me very stressed out and snappish at them, which I really hate about myself.

Incidentally, the name pennylane is taken from Almost Famous, my favorite movie.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 0 again. Leftover 2-3 glasses of some super special wine got me. The stress level at my house when the kids come home from school, homework, them complaining about dinner, bath night, complaining about going to bed with two dogs running in and around and about. It gets me so stressed.

It wasn't a disaster, but DH is also like - hey, if you want 1-2 glasses of wine at night I have no problem with that - it's when you go past that we have problems. So....

Any advice? My doctors want me to quit forever. I suggested making a list of the triggers of when I have more than 1-2 to start. I thought I was totally committed to Step 1, but now I'm lost. Advice?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Daisywings, the evening time is toughest for me, too, given the kids/school/eating/bedtime routine. It's a drag. Made it through last night just fine, although I couldn't see any noticeable benefits to being sober. I was just edgy and cranky and yelling a lot. I guess in order for it to get better, I've got to find a way to deal with it and make things easier, rather than numbing it and riding it out.

I'm thinking of giving the kids more responsibility, so it's not all falling on me to do. They love it when we cook together (although I hate cooking) so maybe I'll start asking one to make a salad and one to ... I dunno. Gotta come up with something so they're occupied, helping out, and not pestering me.

Try taking it one day at a time. Did the wine really help you last night? What benefits did it give you? And what negatives came from it?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of giving the kids more responsibility, so it's not all falling on me to do. They love it when we cook together (although I hate cooking) so maybe I'll start asking one to make a salad and one to ... I dunno. Gotta come up with something so they're occupied, helping out, and not pestering me.

Try taking it one day at a time. Did the wine really help you last night? What benefits did it give you? And what negatives came from it?
DH is stay at home dad and doesn't want me to assist during this time even though everyone is buzzing around. Kids are 5 and 8 so usually we just try to keep them upstairs and away after homework.

I'm not supposed to say anything here about benefits. The negative was that I felt bad about it afterward because my doctors are insisting I quit for health reasons. And if I have more than 1-2 I get very ugly as I have had gastric bypass surgery.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I tried to read, and listen to the world news while he cooked. I tried to smoke more cigs outside and remove myself from the craziness. I took the meds the doc gave me to help. By the time the kids were in bed all I could think about was how nice it would be to have one glass of wine. Told DH I didn't think I could just have one, but wanted to try. Ended up total of 2 1/2 really and good conversation with DH.

Should have been none for physical health reasons, but I'm very discouraged.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Daisywings, I can't offer any advice, because it never worked for me. I wasted a decade of my life trying to moderate drinking. At some point my body clicks over from 1-2 drinks, to never enough.

I don't think identifying triggers will work. Your ability to change states of mind is lost after a few drinks. I worked with a hypnotherapist once and she explained to me that it almost impossible to hypnotize a person after a couple of drinks. It is like you cannot get the brain's attention away from the buzz.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My biggest problem is that because of the gastric bypass I finish glass 2 and lose all rationality because it hits my system so fast. So, I would completely agree with what you said.