Notices

September Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Thanks Endzy, if all of Christianity was as beautiful as that prayer, there is know doubt I would be Christian. Thank you, it does give me solace. Humility, strength, and wisdom, in four lines - simply stunning.

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Amen ! it is words that we ALL can apply to our daily lifes .. ~ huggles ~

btw where is Cascadia ?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things are so hard right now recycle and DaisyWings.

I think at times like this it's really important to lean on the group - no one has to do this alone, and no one should

D
Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Primal, I had trouble sleeping at first too - good exercise helps, I see your'e doing that - what also works for me is an Actifed at bedtime, not the fake American ones, but the authentic Canadian variety you have easy access to. Of course, taking antihistamines to sleep on a regular basis is not a good idea but if you have allergies like me there's a double benefit when taken in moderation.

Sorry to hear about the hard times some of you are going through - I hope you can all find that quiet center in yourselves where you can find some peace. I think of it like an old comfortable sofa within - not the one with springs sticking out to poke you but the one that allows you to relax and watch the world go by without judging and not thinking too hard. You can all do it! My thoughts are with you.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get your point, Jeffrey, but I urge everyone to check with their doctor if they have trouble sleeping.

Only your medical practitioner has your full medical records.
We can't recommend treatments here, even over the counter medications.

thanks,
D
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Endzy, Cascadia is a bioregion consisting of Oregon, Washington, BC, and just a bit of No. Cal. It is a rich and beautiful part of the world completely capable of a self-sustenance. Winters can be a bit much, it takes a strong heart to get out bed sometimes, but this time of year is magic. This afternoon it was 90, this morning was 45, Sunday I caught a 9 lb steelhead walking distance from my home in Eugene. I know that I am not supposed to say this, and it sounds stupid when I say it, but fly fishing with a vicious hangover is something that will be difficult to give up. Maybe I can just hit myself in the temple with a hammer three or four times and fish just as well.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Show me, don't tell me... I've been trying to say that for years--on a variety of topics, but this one too. Although the 20 days sober I got really did show me what I might have, as far as peaceful days. The relapse showed me another thing.

Daisy, Daisy, Daisy--stay with us, woman. It's rough, more so if there's other conflicts/issues with people around us, but you're doing this for you in the end, and from a sober point of view, you can better deal with the problems with him and everyone else. You just have to get through the first part, with all the emotions and such. If you fall, just pick yourself, dust off and come back.

I don't know all the stories behind the admins of this board, but I know at least three who took a lot of times to finally get it. Me, I'm on my fourth, and I only started 2 months ago. When I think about that, I get to feeling like I can't do it at all. So, right now, I can't think about it. I just focus on not drinking, and coming up with other stuff to occupy my time instead of drinking. There'll be time later for other thoughts.

If you determine that you do in fact need some kind of inpatient/outpatient, there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not even sure at this point that I won't need that too, I just can't afford it now.

Stay strong Daisy... use those Wings and fly yourself out of where your mind's at right now.

I second Recycle's comments about the beauty of Cascadia, I rolled through it this summer on the Amtrak, and actually reconsidered leaving the western states--which is a shocking statement, coming from me. But, as far as the hammer thing--and this is not meant under that medical advice thingy--perhaps a rubber mallet might be, um, less damaging? And you wean on down to a nerf bat or something...

Or you might lean back with the rod & reel and find even more beauty right to look at... Things look better when you're sober, I don't know why. Reminds me of those Kodak/Canon ads on the back of magazines in the 80s.

Well, on to me. I took the day to clear up some court-related stuff that's been nagging at me, partly 'cause I kept drinking and partly 'cause I ran out of money. But, although I was nodding out all day long, due to detox symptoms and the California heat, and long long bus rides, I got that done, so I'd feel good about that if I wasn't so dang exhasted. I seem to be able to type coherently (at least it looks that way to me ) but I couldn't talk in class.

And the Evil Roommate is back on my case, this time about a salad that I should throw away so she can put her things in the fridge. Turns out it wasn't my salad, but I guess I know my place now.

Then she told somebody that she was only making nice so that I'd be easier to deal with, that she had no intentions of stopping fighting with me 'cause I'm a b- who doesn't know who to listen. HUH? I still can't figure out why I should listen to a little girl with a little girl mind... who has no rank on me.

So now I'm here, feeling stoned on these detox pills--yes, I'm taking them per instructions, they just do that to me, I guess depending on how much I drank before I quit--typing this and listening to very loud music on my earphones. I promised Evil RM that I wouldn't refuse to let in her brother if I heard him knock. Semantics is a fun thing.

When she finishes learning that most walls are not soundproof, she might want to look into that one.

Endzy, Jeff, Kablume, PennyL, PS, PC, Daisy, Dee, Recycle, keep on staying in the circle...

LR where are you?

-TB, gonna make it through day one without a drink, and is very very thankful for that
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates .. its a thick foggy morning here , they say 6 weeks from the first thick fog snow is forcasted .. this cant be a good thing !
Thanks for the insight Recycle it sounds like a beautiful place , one in which i can totaly relate to as to the weather ( in ND ) hate getting outta a nice warm bed but yah I do it as long as theres coffee brewing . Fly Fishing thats something ive always wanted to learn to do , see im a big lover of fishing as long as its in the water and its eattable ( is that a word ) Im so there , fishing bit big time here this yr as the horrible winter and we had way to much winter kill in our lakes .
As to the hangover and fishing .. I can kinda relate to this one in 2 ways one was fishing and the other was camping . I always had a few cold ones in the cooler when i went out to cast .. just seemed strang when I finaly did it sober. but i learned to adapt , and not to mention all the lil things that i was missing cuz i was reaching for a beer or I was takin a bathroom break from all the liquid i had drank ( never failed ) . But now I can just hop in my truck get some bait and go , no more worring bout Ice , cold beer .. how ever i do have to have a bag of cheeto's when I fish .. keeps me busy munching and I feed the gulls with um ..
Camping that was something I was so fearful of , I had been sober 5.5 yrs before I went camping for the first time sober , just wasnt sure how to do it . But Hubbie and I got gear and we went and I had such a wonderful time cant wait to do it again next yr . youll get used to it sober Recycle , just be patient and enjoy what mother earth has to offer you in the ways of beautie .

Bubba .. not implying theres stupid , this is just a saying that was shared to me by a wonderful friend on SR .. You cant control stupid .. sometime I use this alot in a day , when someone does something that I have an issue with , they mite be ok with it and I know its me thats annoyed with there thinkin , but its not for me to control there thoughts or ideas ,, so I apply that lil ditty to my thought process .. and amazingly it makes me chuckle and forget bout theres doings way faster then if i just stewed on things . try it , it mite help you ..
hope everyones having a wonderful morning /afternoon .. one more day at work and got the weekend off . Im excited were going to some small town Applefest thing .. lots of really cool activitys parades and pie eatting contests .. just sounds like a fun day , will check in later all .. have a free feeling friday ! ~ huggles Endzy ~
Old 09-25-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Daisy is on Day 2. I did an experiment a couple of nights ago. Can I actually have one glass of wine? Result? About 7.

So I have reflected on this and thought about my adult life of drinking. I have never let myself run out of alcohol. Ever. So once I pick up I never have stopped drinking once until I passed out or went to sleep.

I missed the line where they passed out "Stop Drinking Now" buttons.

I had no problems not drinking when pregnant with my children. You know why? Because I never hit the start button.

So the start button is put away. Never to be used again.

The experiment was humbling and heartbreaking. I don't recommend it, but I learned a great deal from it.

Kids were annoying last night, one was sick, DH was drunk. I read a book about the first year of sobriety. :-)

Oh and hey, I don't know if they have rules about posting links or whatever, but I am going to daily online AA meetings on a site called "Recovery World Chat Rooms" that are at EASTERN 11/3/6/9 that are REALLY helping since I can't get to an in life meeting. Some of them are very powerful and usually there are 20-30 peeps there.

Just click on AA chat and ask for instructions to the meeting room. There are tons of people and lots of newbies and more experienced folks.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey all, Day 16 here. Feeling pretty darn good. I did have a little bit of a testing evening last night. I had my first rehearsal with the guys I jam with last night since I quit drinking. I usually got pretty blitzed during our jam sessions and then me and the drummer would go and drink more afterwards and smoke pot...the drummer was actually my pot connection. It was a little weird doing the whole thing sober but I did it. The drummer drank about 7 or 8 beers...we have admitted to each other many times that we are alcoholic's or have alcoholic tendency's...but he hasn't decided to quit yet...he has talked about it but that's about it. The other guitar player only had two beers...he drinks "normally". I drank a litre and a half of water and ate a bag of Doritos lol. It was fine and I actually had more fun playing as I could actually concentrate on what I was doing lol. But I didn't really like having the temptation there...I love the drummer and I used to love nothing better than getting blitzed with him...but now I don't know if I really want to subject myself to that environment every week...We'll see how it goes.

Hey Jeffrey thanks for the tip on sleeping, but I think it is slowly getting better. I think as I continue to exercise and get further along in sobriety things will even out.

Hang in there Daisy, you can do it! Same with you thirtybubba...keep pushing forward...it only gets better. Sucks to have to do that tough stuff at work recycle...we are going through a similiar situation at our work so I can empathise...but like someone said, drinking won't help anything...Oh, and speaking of cascadia...here are a few pics from a trip I took this summer through washington...they are from the cascade mountains (I believe that is part of cascadia isn't it?)...so beautiful up there. Have a great sober day everyone!!

This is on highway 20 heading up into the cascades

This is at a park in the cascades

This is at the same park...the lakes up there are so blue and gorgeous.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

thanks for the pretty pics .. simply heavenly i love the mountains .. its my HP .. hey Primal its hard to tell from the pic is that a boulavard ( sp ) Suki bike ?? looks way like ours other then the chest on back .. either way nice ride up there on it im sure ..... we ride ours in the black hills of SD " sturgis " i know you know what that is ... anyways thanks for shareing the pics .. peace out ! ~ huggles Endzy ~
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endzoner View Post
thanks for the pretty pics .. simply heavenly i love the mountains .. its my HP .. hey Primal its hard to tell from the pic is that a boulavard ( sp ) Suki bike ?? looks way like ours other then the chest on back .. either way nice ride up there on it im sure ..... we ride ours in the black hills of SD " sturgis " i know you know what that is ... anyways thanks for shareing the pics .. peace out ! ~ huggles Endzy ~
Why yes it is endzoner...an 07 C50. Do you have a C50 or C90? Astro has a C50T as well. There are pics of both of ours in the bikers recovery section. I only put the trunk on for multiday rides...it comes in real handy. Around town, like today, I keep the bike pretty stripped down. no windshiled, trunk or even passenger seat, I put a chrome luggage rack on the rear bumper instead of the passenger seat. I just keep the bags on it, I like the look of a naked bike . Sturgis...the holy grail ...I have to make it down to that some year. Although, honestly, I don't know if I could handle that many bikes in one place. We have the oyster run out on the coast here every year in anacortes Washington and there are like 80,000 bikes or something...I've gone a few times but I'm really not into the crowds...I prefer the open road . Have a great sober day!!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Thanks, Primal, for those photos. They are awesome.

And Daisy and Bubba, keep going. Start over. I feel silly giving advice since I've been here less than a week, but remember that you want to stop. Don't let the alcohol make decisions for you.

So, it's the weekend. I am a little worried about it. Weekends are usually when I let myself drink. And today I'm having a bad day. Made a really big mistake at work, and have spent the morning apologizing profusely all over the place. I was supposed to send something out on Monday, but I sent it last night and got to people this morning, three days early. Which wouldn't be too terrible, except it was supposed to be a secret until Monday. I just got the days mixed up; thought it was supposed to be out on Friday. I've had a ton of anxiety all morning over this, and normally would end the day with a few drinks to kill the anxiety feeling. So ... I commit to staying sober today, even though I'm all ramped up. Hopefully tomorrow, too. We'll see.

That's it from me. Hope you're all having a fine day.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Meow

You can do it pennylane!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Primal .. asked the Mr he said yes its basically a c-50 but ours is a Valucia ( sp ) which is the same as a boulavard. just a diff yr .. ours is all dolled up lotta of crome accs. shield , bych back ( for me ) corba exaust, forward controls ( him hes 6'3 ) and all sorts of other gismos.. we gotta get bags or something for it for when we wanna take a days trip . got pics but there on my FB acct . have a great sober day ..ooh yah and your right bout to many ppl at sturgis , I dont like to be there during the giant rat race of unexpericnced riders . the mountains dont leave when the rallys over with . its better when the million bikes are gone

Last edited by endzoner; 09-25-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi sorry I disappeared there. I had a pretty major slip up. I had a big test coming up and I felt so behind with everything. I don't do things less than perfect, and I don't get less than an A. All I could think was if I just had something to get me through the week before the test and help me study. I would be fine. My own perfectionism brought me down and I've been on a binge for a few days.

But I'm trying again and today is day 1.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Meow

If at first you don't succeed, try try again!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Don't give up Cherry......keep moving forward.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

September 16th is my first day of sobriety this go around. I sure hope this is it for me.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome CDawg to the September class.