Notices

September Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Mornin everyone, Day 14 for me...two weeks...so cool! I will say though that I am pretty much exhausted...it's weird...I think it must be the years of binging and my body is just telling me to rest. the only problem with that is I have to go to work damnit! lol. I wake up feeling so exhausted, but today after I dragged my ass to the shower I actually don't feel quite as bad. I'm hoping it keeps getting better...still beats being hungover anyday.

Welcome pennylane2009 sounds like you are doing great!...I hear ya on the insomnia part, I'm getting better but it is still there. Daisywings, hang in there...just keep trying that is pretty much all we can do. You can do it!!

Have a great sober day everyone!!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Morning y'all

I read some way through and then started worrying about school, so I had to skip the end of the stories, sorry y'all. I'll read them later--if the internet holds up.

Last day. The doctor said she'll take me back down tomorrow, I can quit tonight after class--I'm sure I'll want to, gotta basically go a whole day shot by shot. That's always rough. I don't want to EVER go repeat this week.

I'm gonna get a bed rest till Sunday, and I hope my roommates respect it. I will be calling the RAs if anything, because I need to sober up in the worst way and I don't need their little girl attitude problems. I don't need the stress. It raises my blood pressure or something (I'm no doctor) because it causes the symptoms to stay longer/stronger.

Man. And I got some stupid vowel-related homework for my first class that was due Monday... I hate vowels. And I think a paper in English class, but I'm gonna have to claim I was following the syllabus there (due next week).

So yeah, I'm still here, still in this, and really not impressed with myself to have gotten this far. I'm not sure why the doctor said Thursday, at first I went along with her explanation that that way I wouldn't have a long day to deal with (why I couldn't hack it on Monday), but now I'm wondering if she's stretching this pain out so I might remember. Maybe I made up that reason, I don't know anymore.

After being sober for 3 weeks and seeing how clearly I could think, I realize how un-clearly I am thinking now... and I was a high functioning member of society on more liquor than this for years.

Kinda scary.

Welcome, RacerAK, PennyLane, keep on not drinking DaisyWings, and why can't you tell the 'positives...' most of us are grown and know enough negatives not to take for more than it's worth. Personally, I love feeling all blurry and seeing the world in slo-mo. I wrote a list of about 80 things about what I hate about drinking, its on this site somewhere "things I don't like" I think it's called.

Anyways, wish me luck y'all, my thoughts are with all you all day.

TB, waking up with a shot the last day forever
Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi guys. I slipped off the wagon the past two days - I'm at a professional conference and drinking is quite common. Back on today, though. I'm leaving for home shortly - and I don't think I'll have any problems not drinking at home (which is a switch lol) because I got pretty used to it over those 14 days.

TB - the doc is helping you medically? Good luck with the detox. (((Hugs))). I'm on naltrexone and I resally do think it helps a lot with the cravings. I have faith in you that you can do this!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

as an alki I can come up with a milion reasons to drink . the dog across the street kept me up , the dryer broke , my cars outta gas or its broken down , my boss is a jerk , a need more money .. and the list is as long as we want it to be , fact is non that stuff is trus for me its just an example .. but another fact is .. will drinkin make any of this things change ??? will it put food on the table NO cuz spent the money on booze , will it make my boss like me more .. NO cuz im lazy hung over and not doing my job properly , etc .. things happen and WILL always happen , soberity dont stop events in our lives , How ever it does help us to rationalize our thinking and handle the issues with a clear mind . the problems are still there after a handover and even harder to deal with .
Nothing Changes unless we step up and change whats going on in our lives ..
Just my two cents .. Endzy
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 24 now. My girlfriend finally got a job so things are looking up.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Alright, I'm back. I finished reading this thread, and I gotta say, I've never been in an establishment where they would serve you all those things y'all suggest. I'm not even sure you wouldn't get kicked out for suggesting they might...

LR, day 4? Congrats. So, you're feeling better yet? That's around the time, if I remember right. I don't have a lot of experience with long term (4 days +) sobriety, so I try to remember it all. Kind of motivating, just sometimes it doesn't work.

PL, one day, why not? Beats no days, or just sitting around thinking you're never gonna stop. And you can always renew it at the end of the day...

PS, 2 weeks. Wow. So you graduated that other thread. Congratulations. And showers work for me, too--I don't know why, but it changes my whole perspective some mornings.

DW--advice on how to moderate, I'm the very wrong one to know anything about that. On the other hand, for cravings, try candies. Lots and lots of candies, and remember to brush your teeth. It actually worked for me a *lot* of days. Just remember, if you do eat lots and lots of candies, slow down gradual--you can get shakes from lack of candies, trust me on that one.

And I'm with Recycle on the efficacy of triggers after 1-2 drinks... you're already on that path... you probably won't stop. Funny thing, you actually know that at 1-2 drinks, just not before.

PC, yeah, the doc's been my co-conspirator since the beginning. Grr. Actually, unlike a lot of y'all, I didn't come up with the idea to sober up myself at all. I really figured I'd be like this for the rest of my life, and was resigned to it, or at least until I was finished college and got a job where I could afford the time/cost of rehab. Wasn't might happy with it, but couldn't see a way out no way. Then the doc wanted to take my cholestorol, blood sugar... all that good stuff. And I balked at the blood sugar test, because I figured I *was* mostly sugar. But I couldn't come up with a good reason why I shouldn't take the test, so I confessed that I was always drinking. Back then, I drank 1-2 fifths (750s for the metric people) a day of 80 proof, or one of 150 proof, and had for years. And woke up, cooked, cleaned, shopped, went to work, went to school, promotions, good grades, all sorts of functionality that allowed me to actually consider not quitting.

It was getting worse at the end, but I was laid off last October, and although I applied, nobody was hiring due to the economy. But that didn't have to be the alcohol's fault, or proof of my downfall--the whole country/world was going through something similar, so I never thought of it on personal terms and how it was affecting me. It was easier and easier to just do nothing and stay drunk more of the day, and my tolerance built up but I don't weigh near enough to tolerate all that. Eventually I didn't care about more and more, but with only school to focus on--I'm 1000s of miles from family & friends--life wasn't that hard, except for the money part, and that was so impossible to fix--and that's actually still true--that I couldn't care. It wasn't really worth thinking about, since there was no way I could pay those bills.

Nowadays that seems like another life.

The problem with the doc, though, is she gave me the sober up pills and told me how to do it, etc, and, here's the problem: once I was sober (first time made 11 days) I liked it better. And danged if sobriety isn't more addictive than whiskey...

So that's my story and my new dilemna, for all the newbies who haven't read all 3000 pages of this site.

So, yeah, the doc's worried about me, all the time. I feel bad that I can't stay quit.

But, I was thinking last night, along with a few other things I've mentioned in the last few days (and I'm leaving the bread crumbs for myself... each time I stumble I can reread and at least not make the *same* mistake again) I did one other thing this last sober time. I was sober for 20 days. And I really, really liked how I felt all the time. Waking up easy and such. Sleeping--not much, but without nightmares and hours of insomnia.

20 days, I did it once I can do it again. Everything's always easier the second time.

But right now, I oughtta be writing an essay I should have done a while ago--I had a week to do it... a page or so, not difficult for me. But I was back to drinking and didn't even think about it, so now I got 2 hours to write it instead of 144. This could have been so easy, and I wouldn't have had to play catch up.

-TB, playing catch up because she does have to
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi All! Day 17 for me! I had my first "drinking dream" last night...gesh, those suck. On a brighter note, I was walking out of a store today and some lady held the door for me, and after I walked passed she turned around and said, "You are so pretty!" I couldn't believe it! It was a day brightener for sure, but mostly I just thought....2 weeks ago with my bloated face and blotchy skin, I'm certain no one would've made a point to tell me I was pretty.

Have a great day!! I haven't had time to read all the goings on on this thread the last few days, but I hope you're all doing well!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to go with the flow here DaisyWings - if you're anything like me, once you've had that one or two it's too late to be thinking about triggers.

Obviously stress is a biggie for you. Amy idea about what you can do with the evening stress besides drinking?

Really glad to see all you September people still hanging in there...and good to see you back here PC
D
Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ugh. Internet's back. Whiskey's gone, per plan. I miss it already...

Drinking dreams are horrible... funny, I have not had one since I've been trying to actually get sober. Used to back in the days, when I'd sober up for something. Rarely been so scared in my life as when I woke up thought I'd done something...

Wasn't even that bad when I really did do something...

TB, at the beginning of sobering up...

...not sure when it ends come to think of it.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

TB, glad the whiskey is gone. Hope your days get easier. I haven't had a drinking dream either (yet) this time. Had them when I was in sobriety a long time ago and they suck. I have had dreams where I've smoked again since I quit ciggies. Does scare you but drinking again scares ya to death.

Heard something good in a meeting last night that stuck in my head. It was used in reference to the 9th step, which I am not on obviously. Show me don't tell me. But it stuck in my head because it fit that we have to live sobriety not talk sobriety. Really hit home with me.

It is still a good day to be sober and for that I am grateful. Thanks for being here. Hope you all have a wonderful sober day.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 15 and am doing great. What I love most about being sober is the freedom to hop in my car, go downtown, have dinner and hang out without the fear of getting pulled over for a DUI on the way home. I had one about 12 years ago and have been nervously watching my rear view mirror ever since. I feel like I have gained a great deal and haven't given anything up by not drinking. I could get used to this! Hope everyone else is doing well - thanks for all of the stories and support.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 0. I surrender. I may need inpatient treatment and am trying to figure this out. I am so broken this morning. I left my husband a note last night telling him that I no longer have control. I want to be that person that used to but I can't anymore. He thinks I can gain control over this but I tried to explain it is progressive and that I can't get back there.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

good morning all , another day sober and a great day it is ..
yesterday I took one of my power naps and woke 20 minutes later with a wild hair up you know where .. tee hee . Ive been wanting to paint my kitchen for sometime now and decited today was that day ..
Been living in this apt for almost 4 yrs with all white walls and its really gotten old . So I got the paint and did the task .. It looks wondeful Im so pleased with it , and how great it makes me feel lookin at what appears to be something new and diff . and something to occupy some idol time . doing with what I have and makin it look like something diff .
Its so great to be sober , being able to do lil things around the apt gives you that " wow " factor that ive achieved something in my day .
huggles to everyone .... have a happy day ! ~ Endzy ~
Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Daisy , its not up to him to decide .. perhaps its a lil control thing for him, as long as your under the influnce things are diff , when your sober its not in his favor ?
Treament would be a great place to get that kick start your seekin and also the tools you need to stay strong and sober . dont beat yourself over this , so many are and have been in the same ship . Surrender is the biggest first part of recovery , once you do this it will make things so much easier . your in our thoughts hun .... you can do this !
Old 09-24-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Good morning, good morning! Last night was a good night -- DH had some beers, and I wasn't even tempted. Well, I was at first. But then I mixed up some Fresca and cranberry juice, and I felt like I was having a "special" drink too. I was a little jealous later when he was snoozing and I was in the middle of more insomnia, but I feel good today. Very good.

Next challenge is Saturday night. Got invited to an Oktoberfest party (in September?). I still haven't RSVP'd. On the one hand, if I'm going to commit to not drinking, then I should figure out how to socialize when alcohol around. On the other hand, an Oktoberfest party sounds like it's mostly just about the drinking, and maybe it won't be that much fun. I still haven't decided.

Hope everyone has a good day today.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Meow

(((Daisywings))) One of our hockey friends went through an inpatient treatment and made it through just fine. Have you already tried outpatient? They have this intensive five hour a night thing in my area.

As for me, feel much better this morning than I did for the last two. No problem at all not drinking last night.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Mornin everyone, Right there with ya JeffreySandman...day 15 for me to. Starting to sleep a little better...feeling better during the days. I ran a couple KM's last night again, I think that has been making me more tired...I had to go to bed at 9pm last night I just couldn't stay up. slept till 3am and then on and off. But I still feel way better than if I was hungover.

Hang in there thirtybubba and Daisywings...you can do it!! And a Good sober day to everyone else in the september group!!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Really friken tough day, I laid off 20% of my staff, and more cuts coming. Perhaps even me. I am in a real hayter mood. Sorry to be a bummer, just don't wanna lie about where I am. I just wanna break something. Hang in folks. I'll do my best.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

recyle .. sorry your having a tuff time , Im sure its not easy being in the possition of doing what you must do , stay focused drinkin wont help anything go away , not now tomarrow or even later .. Im tuff times like these many say the Serenity . you know it ?? if not im sure I can tell it to you or someone else will do so if i dont get back at ya rite way .. I often find my self saying it multipul times when things are tuff , its something simple but sure helps me out , and im sure many others can agree it does . Hang in there Recycle , your in our thoughts and prayers ... :praying
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Meow

(((recycle)))