Notices

August Sobriety Group Part 4

Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
KC1

KC here .

TB - thanks for sharing your story. A powerful message. You have friends here, you should know that. My entire support system is right here, on the SR.

For the rest of you - tonight is my tenth wedding anniversary. Hubby and I decided to stay home instead of going into town. Saves lots of $$$ and is a lot less stressful anyway. I stopped at the store and bought a couple of steaks, some fresh veggies and potatoes and yes, a bottle red wine. The good thing is, I drank ONE glass and wanted NO MORE. Turns out that the AD's that I have been taking actually can make you CRAVE ALCOHOL. Yes, a side effect. Do you believe that one? I wonder how many others out there did not know this. So I have been OFF of the AD's for two weeks as of today. Suffering from withdrawal such as extreme sweating - had to actually change the bedsheets the other night I was sweating so bad. Could also be menopause, too. Yikes!

But, ya know what, I have to wonder how much of my alcohol problems have been related to the AD's???????? It has been a few years since I was able to drink ONE GLASS of wine and not want more. I am going to research this some more. Wouldn't that be something? All of my alcohol problems caused by my taking AD's for the past couple of years. While it is in my genes, hubby and I talked about it tonight. He said he can recall my drinking very minimally until a few years ago, until I started taking the AD's. He said he was always perplexed as to "what happened to you" so suddenly.

The AD's are nasty things. I am having a somewhat difficult time getting off of them, but only for the physical effects like the sweating. But my gosh, if that is the key to helping me get off of the alcohol...well, I don't know what to say.

OK. That is it for tonight. Gotta get back to paying attention to my hubby.

Anyhow, back to my wedding anniversary. Have a great night, everyone and I'll check in tomorrow. Hope you are all doing well.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

KC, that makes 2 of us (at least) with the SR support system...

That would be crazy if it turned out to be the pills all along. Guess it might have been a good thing after all that you quit them... couple nights of agony to find a 'cure'. 'Course that might not let you off the hook... a couple years of drinking might have been just enough to get you addicted from another angle.

Thanks for all the support, all y'all, and have fun at your anniv, KC.

I just went down to the basketball court, they were having something that involved giving out hot dogs. Don't much like them, don't much want to cook right now. Or do much of anything. So I ate their food and watched the game. Sorta social, I suppose. Didn't talk to many, one guy asked me if he was blocking my view. There's my conversation for the day.

My cookies were extremely popular apparently. Wasn't even my recipe lol. And that dough, well, I didn't even eat much of it, just the scrapings that didn't become cookie, but it tasted dang close to 190 proof to me... I'd forgotten about vanilla... guess I'm not much of an alcoholic.

Well, it's off to class. I figure I might as well at least go to classes until I figure out what to do. If nothing else, it'll keep me occupied for a spell... That money is mighty tempting, and it truly does not matter what I do with it...

Take care some more y'all,
-TB, grinning at least
Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

hi all... nearly caught up! will be up to date after weekend...

day 52!! woo hoo
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
KC1

HI - KC here with insomnia. Better than being passed out drunk at this time. I have an early morning meeting in a few hours and it does (again) feel great not to wake up with a pounding headache and hardly able to stand up. I am going to try to go back to sleep for an hour or so .... long day ahead and a busy weekend as well.

TB - you are probably correct - a couple years of drinking, whether or not it was caused by the AD's is probably enough to get me hooked. By no means do I think I am cured...wish it was that easy. Time will tell I suppose. Hubby drank the rest of the wine and I switched to my Pellegrino after the one glass. I did feel bad about buying the wine but I felt bad not buying it since it is our anniversary and he is not the one with the drinking problem. Though he would have been perfectly happy not having the wine. It really does feel different - my not wanting to drink the entire bottle and then some. Or digging around in the frig or freezer for vodka or limoncello or who knows what else. I hope this feeling sticks around.

Have a great day everyone.

KC
Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

TB, hang inn there! Times are tough right now, but hopefully you can stay in school.

Tallcactus, congratulations on 60 days! My 60 days is tomorrow. It seems like there are a few of us getting 60. Shakespeare?

KC, I have never heard of ADs causing people to crave alcohol. You just never know what the side effects can be though.

My sponsor and I met last night before the meeting and she told me I need to start on service work and sharing at meetings, getting there early and talking to people, etc.

YUCK! I have social anxiety and this is forcing me to face it. I know I will feel better once I do loosen up, but thinking about it makes me nervous.

There are times that I feel like saying forget it and just trying to do this on my own, but I don't want to relapse and I am afraid I would if I quit AA. Besides, I am just getting started.

Anyone else doing AA that can relate?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

My sponsor and I met last night before the meeting and she told me I need to start on service work and sharing at meetings, getting there early and talking to people, etc.
Hi Bananagirl, I read your post and yes I can relate. I use AA in my recovery program and it is the most important thing in my life today. Your sponsor is so right, you see when you give back, i.e., service work (coffee maker, setting up, greeting & sharing at meetings) that helps another person and in turn helps keep you sober. Its how the program works, giving back what was given so freely to you. I know AA has saved my life and I will be eternally grateful for all those in the rooms. The most important thing in my recovery was to start working the steps with my sponsor right away. The first time I came into AA I didn't bother with the steps or working a program, (you can read about my recovery in the MY STORY forum), I was sober 15 years and went back out. This time it is so different.

Have a great day, all of you. Keep helping each other, no matter what happens remember "this too shall pass" it always does as long as we don't pick up that 1st drink or drug. We can get through Anything, believe me, anything!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Banana, there's no worries about i can keep going to school. it'll cost me with the courts is all, and its no future in it anymore. maybe. i'ma go to them tomorrow and ask if i might take another loan or something. shoot, if i dont get a good job i dont gotta pay it back right...

grr i dont know anymore what to do.

i messed up again. high on codeine... new one for me.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

TB, you can get a forebearance if you don't get a good job, but there is a time limit on it.

I apologize for be nosy, but what type of court classes are you taking?

Hate to hear you took those pills. It doesn't sound like you really wanted to.

Wishing you strength.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

theyd take away from 5.15?

haha. i never should have went to school.

eta - alcohol. dui last year.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I had a DUI last year too. I had to attend a DUI school thing. I guess that is the same thing?

I doubt you would be making minimum wage for very long, if at all TB. You aren't giving yourself credit for being an intelligent, thoughtful person.

What about an office job while you are in school?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Congrats TC, BG and everyone else coming up on 60 days. That is amazing!!!!! I'm so happy for everyone who has been able to do this.

I'm on Day 7... please help me not to screw up at this point. This is the point where I usually cave in and have a drink.

I'm meeting a couple of friends at a wine bar tonight. It occurred to me that me going to a wine bar is like a crackhead going to to crackhouse. Crazy isn't it? I am going because I need to have friends and these two are two of my divorced girlfriends. I already told them I'm not drinking (or drinking "mocktails") so I HOPE I do not cave in.

Later everyone.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

not this semester, im in class m-w from 10 a all the way through.

and i tried that in the spring of 08, cause someone suggested it. applied at a bunch of places and a temp agency--they actually told me that id be wasting my time even coming in for teh interview cause i dont have any related work experience. finally got a job as a light mechanic in may, then got laid off in october. last hired...

i'm trying to get a job on campus, i figure ill be going up against 18 year olds with no work experience, but so far nothing either. targets only hiring variable schedule jobs. might gonna try to get a job at the mall down the street. got nothing really to offer them though... tell em i was a housewife, maybe.

and if i keep going to school, no go for any probably--shift problems.

and i never worked for minimum yet. i'm thinking maybe life would stop hitting me if i did. i dont know.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

End of week 7 is tonight! The longest spell for me since I started trying to get sober. Some of my work is getting caught up and I'm just starting to work with my sponsor...had first meet with him Mon. and I'm looking forward to getting on with the program. The rainy season seems to be setting in here in the great northwet. Should get the shell of the future son in law's cabin finished Sat....he's coming down across the border this weekend...be glad to get through that phase and move on to the inside work...the soggggy dog work thing kind of sucks and after doing it for so many years I'm a lot less enthusiastic about getting out there in the rain and going about it. I'm really enjoying, as I've said before, the clarity of mind that's back after being gone for quite some time. The energy level is pretty much back up to snuff and I'm liking it! Being productive again is pretty rewarding...more so than just thinking about and spending hours out in the shop planning how much work that I was going to get done....damn I had some great ideas after having a couple of drinks, or at least I thought they were....too bad that's all they were, just thoughts, and the actual work part didn't seem to jive with the off kelter thought process. This is my fourth go round at trying to stay sober and I'm hoping each day that this will be the last attempt...I guess I lost count and missed the third time being the charm the last time. Again, reading the thoughts, experiences, and determination of everyone here has passed on strength, for this one anyway...hope it works the same for all of us, now or not too far down the road. Dust ourselves off stand back up and Kick it!!!! Enjoy the day I'm going to go out in a bit and get wet....from the rain not the bottle.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

ARGH!!!!!
I just spent half an hour typing a long post and LOST IT. I AM SO FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW!!!

VERY very short recap:

Bananagrrl--I can relate.

Groggle--Congrats! Can you come and help me with my cabin?

Traderjane--Congrats on the week! I don't want to be a downer, but I don't think the wine bar is a great idea, especially as you stated that this is the time you usually fail...

To all of the above, I typed at least a paragraph or two elaborating, but it vanished when my computer unexpectedly shut down--and I just don't have it in me at the moment to reproduce the brilliant prose of the past half hour.

Have a good Friday everyone, stay strong this weekend!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Tgif!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Company arrived last night for the weekend, busy day today at work, no time to post..

Be back later.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

everyone have a great and sober weekend. pumpkin patch with family and football games in the fall...doesn't get any better. see ya! goose
Old 10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

A pumpkin patch sounds like fun Goose. Are you going to be watching college football
or pro football?

TB-Codeine..what is going on???? You shared such a powerful post with all of us. I feel like nothing but good things are in store for you in the future. Sometimes we need to live in the crappy situations we are in, sometimes it is due to our problems with alcohol. But, we can get thru them, we can get past them. It just takes time. It sounds like you need some face time with folks. Is there an AA group that meets on campus or near campus? You have all of us here, behind you cheering you on. But, I think you really need some people connections....please...see if you can check into some meetings.

PC-----love the link to the Snoopy YouTube..

Sphal...I hate you lost your post...

KC-hmmm...the anti-D connection sounds pretty interesting. I had a friend that actually did experience that problem. She never drank much, never had a problem, and then
developed one.

Tonight dysfunction junction continues with my husbands family in town, the fun never ends!!!!!

BreakFree, TraderJane, Bdiddy..Anono and Box...everyone else., where are you ?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hi everyone. It's a long weekend here and I'm off to see my grandmother today. It feels so good to be seeing her without a hangover or without having to cancel because I drank myself into a stupor the night before.

I will catch up properly on Sunday. Wishing everyone strength and love. xx
Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hey peeps,

I am relaxing this evening, maybe watching a movie. My husband is in the man cave that is the basement so I have some time myself.

I am out of ice cream which sucks. I have had a major sweet tooth for the last month. Ice cream and chocolate are my favorites.

What's everyone up to tonight?