# 81 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SpeedyJason......Congratulations!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone...

4D..... your quit date is in Feb. that would be your class
I gave you the link in an earlier post if you choose to join.
Thanks for sharing your good news.

DB....Yes, early sobriety has a lot of ups and downs.
Healing takes time and you are on your way!

Jason...I'm sorry you have gone thru so much pain.
I've always found comfort in the Serenity Prayer.

HS....thanks for being here with us! Your recovery shines!

I'm so gratefl to be sharing with y'all
Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Freedom Seeker

Thanks Carol...yes I remember the link now! I appreciate your guidance and support!

DB: I hope you're feeling stronger today. Yes, some days I feel the temptation creep in more than others. I keep a list of reminders in my phone that I read every time I feel it creep in..things that I hope will snap me out of it and make me choose not to drink for just one more day.

Jason: congratulations! Great job!!

Hideorseek: thanks for your comments. You make an excellent point, and it's especially relevent to me because I've had a year and more of sobriety only to go down the same path again. Yes, I need to be reminded that I must always stay vigilant.

LaDita: haven't heard from you in awhile and I'm hoping everything is ok....

xo
Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I hope everybody is feeling better today! One of the hardest things for me is to understand, really understand, that any given frustration, anger or sadness is only temporary and I just need to wait it out. Historically, my impulse has been to drink at "it", but if I just have patience, so far, those feelings fade, and I don't have to add guilt and shame to the pot, as a result of drinking. I'm still not sure how to combine that kind of "forward thinking" with "living in the moment", but as long as I don't drink, I'll take what ever works for the time!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Morning all - I hope that everyone is well. Am still here and on Day 19. As you know, I have had a hard week, but underneath I am still feeling strong. Yesterday was a horrendous day workwise. I finaly got home about 9pm. In the old days I would have attacked a bottle of wine and drifted off into oblivion. But last night, it was staright to bed with a cup of cocoa. Result!

I think that my workload has created problems this week, as I have been under pressure. I have decided that I need more "space" to allow my recovery to develop. So I have decided that I am going to work all weekend and clear my backlog. That should take some pressure off next week and allow me time to concentrate on me - I am planning an attempt to get back to the gym!! I have GOT to start working on the broader aspects of recovery, as I feel I have been achieving sobriety only so far.

Would love to hear how the rest of you are planning to spend the weekend. Have a good one.

DB
Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

A long time ago...I started thinking about life's progression.

I grew up around 2 Great-Granmothers so I was aware
that it's not always possible to do as you wish as you age.

I see my life as a group of compartments...
the little girl turned into a teen .....the marriage and motherhood
Divorce...career woman...alcoholic....sobriety....recovery.

As I grew into the new phase/compartment ..changes
were required adjustments needed for me to grow
to be contented with myself.

Now...at 73 ... I am the Great-Grandmother...
I am in my "AA recovered/old woman" compartment.

Rather than regretting on what I can no longer do
I cherish what I can accomplish.

My days ...including the weekend....all run along very
smoothly. I do a balance of God-AA-fSR-family and friends.

Thanks for letting me share the joy of recovery on SR
:ghug

Last edited by CarolD; 03-13-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I posted a couple of days ago about accepting life as it comes. Ideally, I like to envision myself on a raft, going up and down with the swells, not fighting, just accepting. Sometimes I can do this and sometimes it is much more difficult. On another thread I just posted:

I'm chugging along, looking left and looking right and thinking, Ok I'm doing well, this isn't TOO hard and I like this and I'm happy and "before" was awful and I can see myself making progress, then BAMM, screech and halt and OUT OF THE BLUE those old urges hit and I sit there just stunned. But more than that...humbled is the right word and cognizant that this journey isn't under my control at all, that I have to be forever grateful for any tranquility or respite because it isn't always that way. I am often caught up in the need to "get something" and then be able to move on. Well, hello me. I'm as likely to "get there" as I am to catching and holding onto a piece of breeze.

So I got a "life smack" today, for no real reason other than, perhaps, I NEEDED to get a divine kick in the butt just to remind me that I'm not driving the bus, but just another bozo in the back (as they say in AA). Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
eng.

8 day - feeling not good
Old 03-14-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

PXYZ .....Welcome to SR and our Daily Support Forum

Congratulations on your sober progress
Old 03-14-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

deep well done.

i haven't stayed off the wagon - but i have stayed on track - and have managed to have a drink and then not drink again.

some may be horrified - and i accept that

but i feel good - cos i feel like I can if i want, and don't have to if i don['t want to
Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good evening to all! Have reached Day 20 and feeling fine at the moment - I am actually beginning to feel more relaxed overall and realise that drinking was actually causing me (and my body) quite a lot of stress. I like HideorSeeks "raft" idea - for me this means the need to find serenity by living in a slightly detached way. By this, I don't mean ignoring reality or feelings, but just having the ability to recognise what is going on in my life from a short distance away. I have been reading some Buddhist books and find them very helpful in thinking about my spirituality. The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is quite a big read but certainly makes you think!

Thanks to Carol for sharing a lot just lately. Your life sounds very much "in balance" and I suspect that you have found much joy and serenity in this. I would love to be able to live a simple life in a complicated world - and this is something I am working on!

A warm welcome to PYXC - congratulations on getting to Day 8 - you will find a lot of support here.

And now to Southwalian! Hi there, really glad you posted, as I was wondering what had happened to you. I'm sure no-one will be horrified that you are not on the wagon at the moment - that in itself is not important. The real issue is whether alcohol causes you a problem or not - and only you can decide on that one. There are many people who can drink in moderation without any implications. For my own part, I have tried and failed so many times to be a "normal" drinker so in the end decided that sobriety was the only way for me. I hope that you can keep in touch with us and let us know how things are going.

Anyway, am off to bed now to plan Week 4 - hmmm...I wonder where that will take me!

DB
Old 03-14-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good evening all!

Welcome Pyxc, we are all herefor you. Just read and post away. I guarentee that you will find things that will help, hit home and make you think!

And soutwalian, best of luck. I agree with DB that only YOU can decide what is your best course. I tried moderation, but excess visited every time, so it's abstinence for me.

And DB, I'm glad you are feeling better! I, too, am attracted (obviously, from my posts) to Eastern philosophies. I practice Yoga, with moderate success. And I read...a lot! My mind is like a mouse on one of those wheels in hyperdrive, and I know that I need to cultivate detachment, and living from my "inner witness". Again, some days are more successful than others. I"ve also been trying to seriously cut down on caffeine. I'm a Diet Coke fan and it never dawned on me that this was adding to my mental frenzy. Duh! Since drinking "calmed" me down, perhaps yoga will teach me to do that in a healthy manner. Here's hoping anyways! Goodnight and Good job everyone!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

SW....
Everyone makes choices in life....I wish you all the best with yours.

DB....I've noticed many SR members are using a Buddhist
path to recovery with success. That might work out
great for you too.....hope so....

HS........I quit buying Diet Coke for my apartment this year.
I did this to save money..I was drinking 2 llt. daily @ $1.45.

I switched to Iced Tea and water from the tap.
I will have 1 at an AA meeting. I've changed nothing else
in my diet. I have lost 8 lbs. ...with no withdrawal symptoms.
Do let us know how it works out for you.

Let's all enjoy our day
Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Day 12 and I am feeling so much better, not missing the hangovers, and starting to sleep better too. Still think about having a beer every now and then especially when I drive by my beer store which is just down the road.

Looking forward to when I can start counting my sobers days by weeks and months instead of days!

I have adopted the Rational Recovery motto: I will never drink again... and I will never change my mind!

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hey Lynxster, good for you! I always have hated that first week. It seemed endless. And now, you've almost been through 2! Woohoo! It's great to see everyone is doing well and nice to have each other to lean on!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Lynxster....glad to know your making progress

Welcome to our Daily Support Forum
Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

How's things everyone??

Day 23 here and I have just come very close to buying a bottle of wine!! Was driving home from work (long day) and had a huge urge to stop off and buy. Thoughts of getting home and getting blotto were almost too hard to resist. I don't lknow how I managed to stop myself, but somehow I did. But I find it a bit depressing that I could have come so close again after all of my efforts - it just goes to show how fragle the whole process is!

On another matter - the skin on my hands and fingers has started to blister and peel, and I also have mild dandruff. It's like my skin is reacting to the absence of alcohol. I have never had these things before - I woul dlove to hear if anyone else has suffered in the same way??

Hope everyone else is having a serene and calm day

DeepBlue
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Day11 and feeling great!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi Future - glad you're doing fine.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

On another matter - the skin on my hands and fingers has started to blister and peel, and I also have mild dandruff. It's like my skin is reacting to the absence of alcohol. I have never had these things before - I woul dlove to hear if anyone else has suffered in the same way??
No I did not DB ...and I'm sorry you are...
Perhaps it's a dietary or vitamin problem?
I have no clue....I'm merely thinking aloud.

Good to know you are staying strong and sober