Notices

For Members with Less than 2 Weeks Part 8

Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am one week sober, so half way to the elusive 2 week mark. I am trying to spend more time around here, because I'm an internet addict,and I might as well get addicted to a place that is so filled with good advice

It's really helpful to see that other people are at the same place as me, or on the same timeline asme.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is my 8th night Eidetic - so we're both in the same place there or thereabouts.

May I ask how you have found week 1?

So far so good for me.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi southwalian
This is by no means my first attempt to get sober, so it isn't my first time doing Week One.
This Week One was okay; I had to fight on Friday to not leave my office and run an "errand" to the local liquor store. I'm trying to keep busy, but at the same time, do one thing at a time. I don't pretend to have any wisdom on the subject anymore.
How was your week one?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Its been ok! - Read all previous posts!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by southwalian View Post
LaDita

if it helps - here is what I did diet wise.

Plenty of fresh fruit, veg and fruit juices. Plenty of water too. Vitamin supplements. Aspirin. I also drank lots of Red Bull (or equivalent). Red Bull contains vitamin B and it contains taurine. Whilst unproven Taurine allegedly helps deal with fat deposits in the liver.

I also made sure I ate three meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. I didn't cut out caffeine out of choice but its probably wise to do so if you can.

Hope the next few days go well for you!

Thanks, I am trying to cut down on coffee and smoking as well so I can eventually quit soon...this is the first morning in many that I didn't rush to the stove to turn the water on for coffee...getting used to it.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So - for quite a few of us, week 2 is coming up shortly. I wonder how it will be different from week 1? And I wonder what we are hoping to achieve this week.

I have decided that each week, I will make one further improvement to my lifestyle - some might be big, some might be small. This week, I have decided to stop putting sugar in my tea and coffee, or adding sugar to any of my foods. A simple goal (hopefully).

DB
Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm trying to put my alcohol money to one side - after just one week I have saved enough to buy some new clothes! I feel a million dollars - even if I don't look it!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

OK - it is Day 8 and I am declaring myself formally de-toxed!! I hope that doesn't sound too complacent. But I certainly feel that something has changed today and that the poison had left my body. It's early days, but I feel that the healing can now begin!

As I promised myself, I have cut out sugar starting today. Already, I have discovered something interesting: now that I don't put sugar in tea/coffee I don't drink so much of it. Perhaps I was craving the sugar rather than the beverage!!

I am also having a go with Ginseng, as I believe this is meant to be good for mood and anxiety.

SW - enjoy your new found riches and wardrobe!!

Good luck to all

DB
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I feel that regardless of a beverages alcohol content, it's the IDEA that is appealling to me. The idea I have when I drink a SHARPS or whatever (whether I know it or not) is that I can drink a beer, without suffering consequences. This is what drinking non-alcoholic beverages do for me. Relapses do not just "happen". When I display behavior that allows me to rationalize my actions I am in relapse mode. Remember....alcohol is only the symptom. I was an alcoholic long before I drank!

Last edited by Jeffro44; 03-02-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: error in submitting
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jeffro44.....

Welcome to SR and our Daily Support thread

Please do share with us often
Glad you joined us...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Freedom Seeker

Good morning everyone!

Day 6! Whoo hoo!

I'm in the middle of reading the book CarolD recommended "Under the Influence" and it's changing my mind about how I think about this problem.

Last night I was rehashing my entire drinking history in my mind...when and how it started, the sober years, the times I relapsed and why, and how the disease has progressed in me over the last 15+ years.

I am at a critical point now in my drinking carerr. I would define myself as middle stage by the book's definition. When I drink I drink every day, obsessed by it, getting it, getting more, hiding, drinking in the morning, drinking before work, drinking through the nausea, drinking to calm the shakes.

I know if I don't do something, I will die.

I've known for all those 15+ years I had a problem, but I never understood it. I didn't know why I drank even though I hated it, or why I couldn't quit when I desperately wanted to. And most frustrating: I didn't know after months or years of blissful sobriety...WHY would I go and drink again?

I'm still trying to figure out the answers to these questions, but today I am interested in relapse prevention and any help or guidance any one has. I know I can quit...I've quit so many times I'm a pro! I need to know how to STAY quit.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:ghug
Congratulations everyone!

Some of you may not know about H.A.L.T.

Each time I returned to drinking...
2 or more of these elements were in place...

Please be vigilant and don't become overly
H-Hungry A-Angry L-lonely T-Tired

For me...I also added an S for stress...

Forward we go..side by side
:
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Here, Day 5. Thinking there have been some pretty cool threads in Newcomer's today.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

LaDita - well done - it gets better - day 10 here and doing fine!!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Still here. In some ways, Tuesdays are (and probably will be for the near future) my most difficult day to get through, because there is a situation that I want to have a little buzz on for. But I really want to get to two weeks. So I think for today I'm telling myself I won't drink for this Tuesday. The situation will still be there next Tuesday, and I'll "re-evaluate" then. No, I don't want to drink for it at all, ever again, but I know it is not realistic for me to promise that at this point. So I just have to say that this Tuesday, I am not going to drink.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Keep going Eidetic - as you say, just choose not to drink today. Let us know how you get on.

Day 9 for me and feeling quite special on and off - still very tired, but my mood is so good at the moment that I can live with that. I don't know if it is my imagination, but the Ginseng I have started taking seems to have a postive effect. I have also been successful (so far) in cutting out the sugar - that is my goal for this week.

Not having too many thoughts about the future at the moment, and my soul feels quite calm about the prospect of never drinking again. But I will be forever on my guard.

Just a little anecdote. I went to a local store this morning. The guy getting served in front of me was an obvious alcoholic. It was only 9am and he was buying super strength beer and vodka. His hands very trembling and he could hardly count out his money. He probably hadn't had a shower for quite a few days, and his clothes were a mess. What did I think? My heart went out to him, because beneath the chaos of his appearance, I could see just an average guy who was suffering badly and probably at a loss as to what to do. I felt like saying hi - but you don't just do that sort of thing in the UK! - so he just shuffled off. It all felt very lonely.

DB
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

DeepBlue, your anecdote brought back a similar one of my own. We live in a very small town and A couple of years ago, when I was on again, off again (I was in a sober period at the time), I too went into a small store in the am and was behind "the same guy". It took him so long to find his money and I remember feeling such a sense of sadness for him. He looked so miserable, but also resigned. I left the store and looked over at the post office. There, to my amazement, was a man I know from AA who saw me and broke into a huge grin and waved! WOW! All I could think about on the way home was "I have a choice: do I want this or do I want that"? I have had many of these aha moments and I'd like to say that now I am listening. Someone out there is certainly looking out for me!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Nearing end of Day 6 today. Had awful day including getting nearly hit by a car, and then a major mix-up with the bank and came very close. I am much better after figuring it all out.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Morning all! Double digit day today - Day 10!

I have been counting every day of my sobriety so far - with pride - but now that I have got to double digits, I think I will just celebrate every 5 days from now on. Nothing much to report at the moment - just have my head down trying to put in some solid foundation work for a sober life. (but am still too fat and smoking).

Well done Ladita - you managed to get through a couple of stress points, which must have been a good learning experience. I hope that we can all stick together over these next few weeks as I am sure we will all get tested at some point.

Have a good day everyone

DB
Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Freedom Seeker

Hi DeepBlue!

I'm right behind you...day 8 for me today!

I had bad cravings yesterday and am hoping to find something on the boards on how to deal with them.

But I made it through and I'm doing good.

Mornings are the hardest for me...I wake up at 4:30 a.m. or so filled with anxiety and trepidation. I sit and pray or meditate or read until 7 a.m. when my daughter gets up.

LaDita: yes, congratulations...I always used stress as an excuse to drink. Or as an excuse of why I couldn't quit today. "I'll quit when things get better." Well, they never get better do they? I'm proud of you and looking forward to moving off this thread with you in a week!

Love to you all....