Notices

Class of December Part 2

Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

ahhhhh got it. Yum! (to the dessert..)

Went to dinner last night to that restaurant I love.. Now, I'm going to preface this by saying it doesn't bother me when alcohol is used in cooking, mouthwash, expired orange juice, whatever. Namely when cooking.. I know I read the thread that it's not all burned away, ok.. fine. Some of you may differ on this, I totally understand. Like when we went to that Fondue restaurant, yep there was wine in the cheese fondue, didn't bother me, I didn't start back at day one. WELL.. Last night we had tiramisu (shared between 6 of us), and holy hell there was a lot of alcohol in it, and I know there is and usually it's such a benign amount I barely taste it, but geezus.. I had 2 bites and almost felt sick, my nose burned it was so strong and I just sat there like.. uncomfortable. Had I ordered my own dessert I wouldn't have chosen something made with alcohol. I have never had a problem EATING alcohol, lol.. I was just surprised at my reaction, that it made me really feel weird, and guilty having another bite, which I didn't. That kinda sucks..

And that is where my whole disagreement about the alcohol/allergy/once you have a drop you cant stop thing comes in.. but I also think that's a slippery slope. I don't think I would go out and order 6 pieces of tiramisu because I couldn't stop once I had the trace amount of alcohol in my body. I don't think I would then want a glass of wine after injesting the what.. half teaspoon full of liquor in that entire piece? But I wonder then, how does this come into play when people think of it as 'moderation'. Is it more the "having a drink" behavior and psychological connect that gets us where we can't 'stop at one'? Having whatever amount in that dessert didn't cause this spontaneous physical reaction, craving, obsession etc that I hear and hear (and read) about. What if it was a glass of wine? Maybe all that freaked me out.. and maybe the obsession is peeking through seeing as how I'm sitting here the next day writing about it.

My parents were (yes I said were) alcoholics. They quit drinking when I was 19, so like 15 years ago. They've never avoided desserts made with alcohol, hell, when I was still drinking and would order a drink (wine, beer, w/e) with dinners out with them, they'd often taste it.. and they never went into a drinking frenzy, tho I think I felt weird when they'd taste it, with my hard and fast rules in my mind about alcoholism and addiction. I dont even know where I'm going with this other than to say, I injested alcohol. I also drink orange juice. I don't drink 'near beer'. I think I'm at a likely temporary conclusion that it's much more of a psychological thing in terms of potential relapse than this 'one drop and you wont stop' thinking. But then what..

Enough rambling! I'm off to the gym to watch tv (lol), can't believe it's already almost 10:30 here.. darn time change thing!

Hope you're all having a great day!!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
mergirl

please don't set Lisa off, I'm chewing the paint off the walls as it is!!

I have a bottle of wine here for cooking. This really has to be our own journey yes? We can learn from all of these fantastic ex-drinkers here, and even from the people struggling with being sober 6 days, but in the end its our own deal. I know I have tried to cut back to weekends only, beers no hard stuff, hard stuff no beers, wine only, 2 a night, etc etc etc for the past 15 odd years and I ended up where I ended up. So no more for me! Thats MY reality, and oj, mouthwash, lack of working the steps, faltering faith and rehabs who wont take my dogs isnt going to change that.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I'm OK also with Alcohol in foods ... well, except for Vodka Soaked Cherries, and watermelon filled up with gin, etc. But if you hare enjoying a bourbon cake, or whatever - who cares.

Now if these foods trigger you -- and you are able to save yourself before ordering a drink then you might need to rethink your food with alcohol position.

I know what wil screw me up and that is having a drink/beer/glass of wine. I don't think it is appropriate for me now, but one day I will be like Flutters parents and be ok tasting a sip of some exotic cocktail, but right now that is just not smart for me.

I abhor the lifestyle and the sensations of being a drunk, even though I always wanted to be a Dean Martin/Ron White cocktail-in-my-hand-every-where-I-go kind of drunkaholic, but I just couldn't pull it off.

WARREN - I go to almost every movie alone -- so kiss your mate on the cheek and get your happy ass down to "Blue-Penis-Theater" right now.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continue:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2141125