Notices

For members with less than 2 weeks sober...Part 7

Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

PB....you are an alchoholic.....hope that helps.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Originally Posted by PaddingtonBear View Post

You know, even after all this time, my mind still tries to play tricks with me, trying to persuade me that "really i'm just a heavy drinker, not alcoholic". Sometimes I wish that someone (outside of myself, that is) would just give me an official diagnosis - "yes, you are an alcoholic" or "no, you're not an alcoholic". But I know life is never that easy, and I have to take responsibility for myself.

I re-read my diary last night, and it's a record of so much wreckage caused by drinking - I think that alone is all the proof I need that I am alcoholic (plus the fact I answer "yes" to 8 of the 12 questions on the AA website).
PB - I said the exact same thing you said last year (underlined). I told my Dr. how much I was drinking and he said "you need to watch yourself". WTF?
The therapist my wife and I were seeing said the same thing; I had "alcoholic tendencies". Again, WTF?
I don't know if would have helped me, a professional stating "Your an Alcoholic" or not. Probably not, I think I needed to get beat down some more before I was ready to accept it.

I guess it goes back to, (the only you can decide if your alcoholic) school of thought.

I know now that I'm an alcoholic, and as the saying goes, it takes one to know one.

So if it will help you, I think you have drinking problem!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hello all, It's another Day 1 for me. I have been through 2 rehabs last year and decided to drink yet again, this time on a 2 day bender.

I feel really good about quitting this time though - I tried before because other people wanted me to quit. This time I am doing it for myself. I knew that I had enough when for the first time ever I seriously thought about suicide as an option when drunk yesterday. At least I will never have to feel that way again.

I have a Step 1 workbook from a therapist that I am going to fill out after work tonight so that I have it all right in front of me how much alcohol has ruined my life and how much I gave away to drinking. I gave away Friends, family, my license and a job to this disease, now it's time to get as much of those things back - and preserve what I haven't yet lost.

You will all be in my prayers.

Chris
Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Welcome Chris80.

Glad to hear your doing it for yourself. I too knew I had I reached the end when I was hoping to get pulled over for DUI, thinking about walking into work drunk, hurting myself - anything to end the cycle; force me to stop.

In the end, none of that happened. I just gave up, stopped fighting it and asked for help.

There some good information on working the steps here: Step 1 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Are you planning on working a recovery program, AA,?

Again, welcome and stick around, read and post often this thread helped me finally make it past 2 wks.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info and the welcome Omega.

Yes I am planning on working an AA program - I have way too much of a problem to stop on my own. I have a sponsor who has 12 years clean and is a great guy. I'm also seeing an addiction couselor tomorrow and am going to start either IOP or Early Recovery Group hopefully in the next week.

I don't have a car or a license right now so getting to meetings can be difficult, and that is why I drank again - lack of meetings. My mind plays tricks on me and convinces me that it's ok to drink when I spend too much time alone. But I really want to stop so I will find a way to get there.

I like this site because it helps keep me focused on my recovery throughout the day, so you can bet that I will be posting and reading here often.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I can't believe I am on Day 14 ... I get to move on to another thread tomorrow -- after I make it through today.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Originally Posted by Chris80 View Post

Yes I am planning on working an AA program - I have way too much of a problem to stop on my own. I have a sponsor who has 12 years clean and is a great guy. I'm also seeing an addiction couselor tomorrow and am going to start either IOP or Early Recovery Group hopefully in the next week.
Sounds like your off to a very good start. Hopefully you can connect with some people in AA that can help with rides to the meetings.
I'm picking someone up before my meeting tonight. No excuse for me to miss when someone else is counting on me to get there.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Originally Posted by ExNavyInHouston View Post
I can't believe I am on Day 14 ... I get to move on to another thread tomorrow -- after I make it through today.
Congratulations! Another grad! Seems like you just started ExNavy, times flies and your doing great. Your welcome to stop in anytime.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Congrats Ex Navy.. You da man.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

EC1979.....Wow!
Glad to know your moving forward
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good to see you here with us Chris80
Welcome back...
Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

ExNavy.....

Way To Go!!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Any thoughts on why is day 3 such a hard one to get through? Two days is (relatively) easy. I feel fantastic and ready to take on the world and then suddenly I find myself with a bottle of wine in my hand at the checkout (Yes, I do know how it got there!) and no interest in sobriety even though I know how good it feels.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
being me

Hi Juliet, day 3 or 4 used to be chronic relapse time for me. For me it probably had to do with dealing with emotions that I wasn't used to. A couple days was fine, but to really have to stay fully in reality? It seemed very hard at the time, but now it really seems like the best way to live.

Just one day and one moment at a time is all you have to conquer. Don't drink for this day and choose to pick up some tea or juice or another drink. Perhaps think about why you want to drink and find another solution to quell that feeling. Or just trust that you want to see what another day sober is like. You can do this.

K
Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Juliet, grrrr

I needed the last two post's. On day 3, Thank You
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Juliet...
Good to see you with us.

Have you considered making a list of why you want to be sober?
You could read it when your tempted to drink.

I carried around the details of my final de tox for a long time.
...I do think it helped me ...I never want to feel like that again!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Day 2 for me, and I feel great so far. I know that days 3-4 will be tougher based on my prior experience. But I have therapy today so I can talk to my counselor about it. I have really had enough and have learned the hard way that "half measures avail us nothing." So just for today, I won't be drinking.

Chris
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Day 13 tomorrow is the big 1-4.

I bought a keyboard to help with my anxiety and keep me occupied. I learned twinkle twinkle little star on the piano. I never learned to play an instrument so its the first time I ever made music(minus poor singing in the shower). It made me happy. Ive always wanted to learn how to play, and i need healthy habits. Thanks everybody for you support.

E
Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day 3 and still going strong

Hello again friends. Today is day 3 for me. I had a great session with my addiction counselor yesterday. It was only my 2nd time seeing her, but she was VERY insightful. She gave me some things to work on this week to help with why I drink and hooked me up with a relapse prevention group that uses Gorski's book as a guide. I'm excited for that meeting, I don't want to wait until Thursday to go.

EC1979 - Congratulations!!

All: I have kept you all in my prayers - I hope that God (read Higher Power if desired) answers based on screen names haha.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Day 14