Notices

For Those with Less than 2 Weeks Sober Part 6

Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Scoob - If I had a $1 for every Day 1, I wouldn't be on my way to work right now. Pick yourself up and start over.

One thing that has really help me this time around is keeping a journal. Make yourself a list of what went wrong, why you drank and while your at it make another list of all the ugly, bad things that have happened when your drinking.

I'm starting Day 13 today and writting down random thoughts, especially all the bad that went with my drinking has kept me humble and sober so far. I tend to have a really short memory (denial) when it comes to my drinking; being able to go back, read and remind myself keeps me focused.

Keep posting, stay positive and stay sober. I'll see you here tomorrow for your Day 2. It's only 24 hours from now, I know you can make 24 hours.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't give up, Scoob! Keep on trying. It will 'stick' one of these days. Just never give up on yourself!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
One thing that has really help me this time around is keeping a journal. Make yourself a list of what went wrong, why you drank and while your at it make another list of all the ugly, bad things that have happened when your drinking.

I'm starting Day 13 today and writting down random thoughts, especially all the bad that went with my drinking has kept me humble and sober so far. I tend to have a really short memory (denial) when it comes to my drinking; being able to go back, read and remind myself keeps me focused.

I have kept a journal for the past couple of years. It does keep me focused. I write down good things and bad things, some stuff related to recovery, mostly just about life. Even some inspirational quotes. I do go through my journal every now and then and one thing I find really cool is that it is undeniable proof of "this too shall pass". I went through some pretty tough days but I would always get through it without drinking. I also noticed that the good days started to dramatically out-number the bad days the longer I stayed sober and practiced my program. And I also get over things a lot quicker, sometimes within hours when it used to take days.

My journal has been a big part of my recovery but, for some reason, I never mention it!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post

I absolutely agree. It's hard to refute my own words when I go back and read them. It's humbling and brings me back to reality pretty quickly. Shuts up that darn addict voice better than anything else I've tried so far.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:50 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'd like to become a member of this thread. Is it still active or has it moved?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:05 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Hi Ladita...it is still active....I think everyone is just still asleep...they should be along shortly..though weekends tend to be a bit slow.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Day 6

I'm going to a meeting in an hour. Not going to drink today. D
Old 12-20-2008, 03:52 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Coming 'round to Day 8 of no alcohol, and wound down my last cigarette over an hour ago. Ask my carpet if smoking and drinking go together, at least in my case. (YES.)

One can get downright bouncy after the malaise of week 1, heck, the malaise of not looking forward to much but drinking. My appetite has been improving a little bit each day. My sleep cycle, which has always been amiss, got hit really hard by not going to sleep via black-out like I used to, so I'm going to use my holiday vacation to work on that.

Today, I am going to enforce not thinking like an addict into my conscious mind as much as possible and instead focusing on the Serenity Prayer and the goals therein.

Thanks for reminding us of H.A.L.T. - I'm learning what each letter really feels like now. It's, of course, still really overwhelming, but I love this chance to really live.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

I'ts 5:30 am, i'm in and out of the bathroom with an extremely sour stomach, so why am I still mourning the fact that i'm not "allowed" to drink anymore?

Makes no sense.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

LaDita - Welcome! Yes the thread is still active! Which amazes me; I started this thread around this time last year due to the fact that I could never string 2 weeks together, so this started as a personal goal for myself.

Welcome aboard, please visit and post often. The only rule is that you need to find another home thread when you make day 15; of course your welcome to visit and post anytime.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Originally Posted by scoob View Post
I'ts 5:30 am, i'm in and out of the bathroom with an extremely sour stomach, so why am I still mourning the fact that i'm not "allowed" to drink anymore?
Good to see you Scoob - Day 2, right?

The sour stomach thing really sucks. I got it everytime I quit drinking. The good news it does go away after 3-4 days.
Eat light, popcicles help to keep you hydrated and maintain blood sugar, soup is good and bananas really help to settle your stomach.

"Mourning" the drink is probably more a rule than an exception. We've given up a "trusted friend" that never questioned our reason for visiting and didn't care what kind of mood we were in.

Would you continue to hang out with a friend that gave you ulcers and a constant sour stomach? Caused you to throw up pratically every morning? Took away your drive to do anything constructive?
Made you feel guilty and then robbed you of sleep, money, and sex drive? Made you do stupid and embarrassing things and generally caused you nothing but grief? Wanted to you to sit at home alone with him/her and do nothing but be miserable?

Not the kind of friend I want to hang out with and certainly one I don't miss anymore!

It does get better Scoob, you just need to find a better friend.

I'll see you here tomorrow for Day 3, OK?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

PB.....
That's interesting and I've never thought to do it.

My active alcoholism....:a black cloud
for my mental deteration.

My recovery....
for my mental restoration

Forward we go....
Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

...Scoob
Glad you know you are starting again.
Yes! you can.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

LaDita....
Please do share here with us...Welcome

I see you are rather new to SR
sooo...another Welcome!

Last edited by CarolD; 12-20-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Thank you! I guess I am on Day Two now, technically....I think. The way I see it, is that there's still alot of alcohol in my system the morning after I drink, so I don't count that day. Today is the worst, physically. It's when the 'real hang-over' kicks in.

It's a beautiful winter wonderland here, I'm glad the weather is accommodating to my current state. I love the snow and it makes me feel very peaceful.
I'd love to be knitting right now, but the yarn shop is across town and I probably won't be able to get there for a few days once it's safe to travel.

I hope everyone else is enjoying themselves (or surviving, at least!)

Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by LaDita View Post
I love the snow and it makes me feel very peaceful.
Me too!

And we got plenty of it!
Old 12-20-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

bad time today

Day 5. Had a real bad time today. I woke up so happy and cheerful about feeling better. Then the day wore on, and it was a real boring day. Something set me off at the end of the day and before I knew it I was crying. Really not typical of me. Guess I chalk it up to feeling things more acutely all of a sudden and not really knowing how to deal. My habit would normally dictate that a glass of wine and some restaurant bar company would do just the trick...and that would get me through to the end of the day (looking forward to it)...until of course I woke up and remembered why I went out. Now I don't have that to fall back on after experiencing frustration...

I feel better after getting home. Just going to have to work through this one.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Brightening ....
thanks for sharing with us...Welcome!

I find prayer immensley helpful.
Before I had it memorized...I carried The Serenity Prayer in my pirse.
My mind was a mess in early sobrety...

God grant me the serenity
To acept the things I can not change
The coureage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference
Forward we go..side by side...
Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone....

It's 4:30 a.m. for me...Sunday morning
Today I plan to continue my sobriety ....here's how...

Prayer....Breakfast....an AA meeting
Back home to Falcon's Football + Diet Coke +
A visit from my son finalizing our Christmas plans
Dinner with AA friends....Prayer...Bedtime.

And of course..in and out of SR often.

Anyone else care to share on their plan for
another sober day? Plese do..someone might
be helped on their journey by your post.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:53 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

I felt overwhelmed and a little confused today. In the early hours of day 9 now, and life is getting more fun. Keeping myself hydrated, reading lots of books, being gentle to myself, trying to practice good, permissive behavior.

I am beginning to feel much better without smoking. It's been over 24 hours now, and that's contributing to my being a little cranky, but it's nothing I can't endure.