Notices

30 Days and Under Part 2

Old 11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

:ghug2 everyone
Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 18 today and im feeling pretty good. I took the advice of two other members on this thread and checked out meetup, i dont know if i was looking in the wrong place or we are not as civilised in the uk but most of the sites seemed to be swingers sites, definitely not my thing at the moment! Maybe down the line who knows, lol. Any way it hasnt put me off and im determined to find some kind of hobby, something ive never tried before and something that is just fun. Good morning to everyone, thanks for being here and have a good day. X
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Allport - Check this out: United Kingdom Meetup Groups - Meetup.com

It sounds like you got hookup.com instead. Ha ha!

Hope this helps! Good for you!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
being me

That is soooo funny allport! That is not exactly what I thought would be good for getting out and meeting new people, but... I hope that the link catwings sent helps out. I surfed around for some groups (mostly curious about the swingers ), but don't really know the area very well.

Congrats everyone on their sober time!! This is an awesome thread to come to, I actually can't seem to leave it right now. :P Day 37 for me today.

I am looking forward to the holidays and having my mom in town. But (doesn't that always happen), she can be very high strung, and is really new to trying to understand my not drinking. It is irritating that she doesn't understand better, and can't get out of her "mom" perspective of how she feels about it. I really just want to be calm and not get into any drama this week. Working on detachment from the situation and taking things as they come.

Have a good sober day everybody...
Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

In day 18 - which means 17 days complete. Yesterday I took a yoga class that I have taken for years but it does feel different with the days of sobriety affecting my body. I keep being amazed how much better my body feels. At age 56 I did not know there was something I could do that would make me feel younger but I do feel younger in this non-drinking world. What a surprise!

I am really looking forward to the next few days - it will be challenging getting through the holiday weekend with others around me drinking. I want to keep a glass of cranberry juice in my hand and good food in my stomach (when I get hungry I start to think about having a glass of wine and some food - in that order - the wine first, then the food).

Have a wonderful holiday all of you great sober under 30-day people who support me every day!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

allport
This is a link for AA in the UK and it lists all meetings. Check beforehand though as sometimes meetings change venue and time and the Secretary may not have informed AA GSO
Alcoholics Anonymous | AA | in England, Scotland and Wales, UK
Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Breathing

A good day 18 today. Back home, worked at the restaurant ( home now for a break, since I'll be going back later this afternoon).

Was able to serve beer and not a twinge. Hmmmm... I'm thinking I'm kinda floating on that proverbial pink cloud.

I'll take it, I'm feeling great.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

day 17 but I am very depressed. my dad is dying and it has been really hard, he has alzheimers and other diseases and my heart is wrenched, my husband is an alcoholic and pot and has been very mean lately, the people at work are really bossy and rude, and I don't think I can make it anymore. I am barely hanging on by a thread.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Rubycanoe - I am so sorry for what you are going through with your father. Good for you for posting here and congrats on your 17 days! That is a huge success!

It sounds like there are a lot of factors that are beyond your control, but you can do your best to choose not to use today.

Can you think of anything else that would make this better just for today for you? A hot bath, a walk, a nice meal, someone you can call for support?

So far you have triumphed in that have you have not used no matter what has been going on! Just remember that it won't make any of it go away, it will be a temporary fix, and it might make you more depressed if you give in.

I am on day 20 myself and someone bashed into my car, I have PMS, I'm obsessing about some of my wasted life, my age lines, etc. etc. - not as bad as your day it sounds like, but I tell you this to remind myself as well that using will not make it better.

We can do this!!! Hang in there!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I keep telling myself, too, when I want to hide behind my DOC from reality, that I can't do it anymore. Life needs to be faced head on and not as a pot-head. I try to keep reminding myself that I actually want to face the full experience of life in all its ups and downs and unpleasant and inconvenient truths and facts.

So far, at day 20, I am seeing that I am handling things a little more efficiently and taking care of just a few things I used to let slide until "tomorrow."
Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Day 19 and it might be a stressful day today, I have to go for a medical (with a strange doctor) to prove im unfit for work, not sure how you prove a negative. Someone suggested, tongue in cheek i hope, that i should go in drunk. I think ill just be honest(ish) and cry if it looks like its not going my way. Wish me luck. X
Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Just tell him, Allport, that you don't feel fit to work and the reasons why. There is no report like patient experience. Good luck and congrats on day 19!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:46 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Kindbird - When my father quit drinking, he would buy a bottle of Marinelli's sparkling grape juice for special occasions. When I go out somewhere, I just have a club soda and lime.

My dad no longer does the grape juice thing, but I think it helped him through when he first got sober - just to have something special tasting and looking at a special occasion. I think that is OK really and plan to bring some to Thanksgiving dinner with a friend who had to quit drinking.

Good for you! I can relate to the hiding from things. Except that I have nothing to help me blow off life with, I am getting a little more done. Because what else is there to do?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Oh, and Kindbird, I think I am getting some sense of my own mortality too in that I was smoking pot every day and that tends to grant the illusion that time is elongated.

Well, it's not. It's later than I think and I need to make the most of it now.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:16 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Good morning to everyone, happy holidays to the folks in America.

Feeling good today and I hope you all are too.

Catwings i couldnt agree more with your post, its definitly later than we think, Ive wasted so much time and i have a kind of sense of doom sometimes, (just paranoia i hope) but i have missed out on a lot of things that most people take for granted, having my own family, partner etc.

Its not too late for me to have a fullfilling life but ive got to go and get it and i just dont think im up to it yet, I am hopeful that if i stay on track I can eventually come back into the world but patience has never been my strong point.

Well i started off positive and descended into whinging, typical me. x
Old 11-27-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

day 19

day 19 for me, I posted under gratitude list, happy thanksgiving!
how did it go at the doctor allport ?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Allport - I know what you are saying. I never got married, never got a real career together, and have never had a long term partner that was any good. When I was using, I just kept dating people who were using more than I was. I always knew it wasn't right, so I could never get comfortable and nothing ever lasted. Other things happened with my health unrelated to using in the last 8 years too, but overall, I lost some time. I hope that at 42 it is not too late to still have some of what I would like to enjoy about life. But I can't be in a rush either because that causes stress. Easy does it and all that....
Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I have to keep remembering that easy does it, but when your mind clears and you see the ruins of your life its hard not to want it all back right now. I think i just need a good nights sleep. I think it went ok at the doctors but i wont get to find out for a week or so. Im not stressing about it though which is good. Take care and I hope you both had a good holiday. x
Old 11-28-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I think this has been the most boring day of my life, my get up and go has got up and gone. x
Old 11-29-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Well, it hasn't come this way allport, lol!! I've graduated, see! Day 15!