Notices

Whiners Anonymous - Part 16

Old 11-09-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was just a kid but I do remember Queen for a Day! We had a big TV with a tiny screen but we watched that and Gunsmoke and SAturday morning cartoons.

I used to have a similar 'game show'. I'd clean my house (when I had four kids living at home) and it would stay Clean For A Day!

No whines yet today, but it's only 9:45 am so maybe can come up with a good one later.

love and hugs to all my fellow whiners!:ghug3
Old 11-09-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Veterans Day, holiday observed annually in the United States in honor of all those, living and dead, who served with the U.S. armed forces. Unlike Memorial Day, which honors those who have died in wartime, Veterans Day honors all those who have served, in times of peace as well as in war.

II Origins of Veterans Day

Veterans Day is observed on November 11. The holiday was originally called Armistice Day, and it commemorated the end of World War I on November 11, 1918. Fighting stopped at 11 am, the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

In 1919, on the first anniversary of the World War I armistice (truce), President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation expressing pride in the heroism of those who had died during the war. Business stopped for two minutes starting at 11 am, and it later became customary to observe two minutes of silence from 11 am. Many states made Armistice Day a state holiday in the 1920s and 1930s, and in 1938 the Congress of the United States declared it a federal holiday.

III From Armistice Day to Veterans Day

In 1954 the name of the holiday was changed from Armistice Day to Veterans Day to honor those who had served in World War II (1939-1945) and the Korean War (1950-1953). Today, the holiday honors all veterans. In 1968 Congress changed the date of the holiday to the fourth Monday in October to give Americans a three-day weekend. But because of the significance of November 11 to many people, the traditional date was restored by law in 1978
I'm sure everyone here has "someone" in mind on this day. I had four uncles serve in WWII, both husbands during the Korean War, both sons during peace time.

And, then there are those who have been and are right now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Traditionally, we always stopped whatever we were doing at 11:00 a.m. and observed a bit of silence in the memory of all the service men and women. I will be doing so today...perhaps you will join me.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

No wonder I couldn't find us. Didn't realize we were in a new forum.

You may run...but, you cannot hide!

BTW...I do know Veteran's Day is Tuesday, November 11...just a bit of a premature reminder.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder, Nonny... I had forgotten.

I have a whine and I know it will sound crazy. Ok... I've mentioned in other posts that I do something medical-y. Also that I lived in Kenya for a while, I was in the Peace Corps. I have been in school since then, and now I'm all in flux with that... starting a job in my field tomorrow. Which is sweet!

Here's the thing, I'm reading about all the sh!t going down in the Democratic Republic of Congo and everything I'm doing here seems so trite. I wish I could just drop everything and do relief work again. That is fiscally impossible, and probably personally very unwise. But I still wanna get gone. I miss Africa a lot. I even speak the language most of the refugees from DRC do! It's not fair!

This can't happen and I know it can't happen so I need to just get over it and understand my feet are planted right here in Connecticut for now. Boooooooo! *throws a hissy fit*
Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No whines for me today.

Thanks for the reminder Jersey about Veteran's Day.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I was having a good day...and, then I was faced with a situation (actually a person) I was very uncomfortable with. Now, I'm paying for it.

There's a woman here who I'm convinced is "evil incarnate"...she's had run-ins with many of the people here, myself included. She's no nasty to the aides, they dread being assigned to her...so, the charge nurses switch them around, and she never has a regular aide like the rest of us do. Everyone knows who Kaye is!!! Out of 200 residents, she's the only one deliberately avoided.

When we have the Sunday Social, eight of us sit in a little dining room connected to the main activities room. She has always sat in the same place every day, and asked the activities people every week, "How come they're sitting in there? Do they think they're special?" She's always told the same thing..."Anyone can sit in there."

Of course, today she decided to "join us". I saw her come into the room, and I literally got sick to my stomach. I knew there was no way I could sit in that room for an hour - hour and a half, having to avoid looking at her. In trying to get out while maneuvering the chair, I hit my leg hard on the door.

I immediately went to the nurse...it has a big bruise, which I knew it would. We put ice on it after I got back into bed. My thought was, "I'm being punished." Both my sister and my daughter just said, "Sh$t happens!" I just wish this hadn't, and I hope I can keep it from getting any worse.

A couple of people knew why I left...they said, "She's spiteful, and she just couldn't stand seeing you people enjoy yourselves every week." I seriously doubt that she had a good time today, but that doesn't make up for this darned big boo-boo! I know "what goes around comes around"...hope I'm there to see it.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

aunt dee
I heard about it - from my grandma....
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

just joshing ya Zip!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Old 11-10-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I think I'm emotionally drained...leg just very bruised...don't think it will worsen. But, I'm going back to bed for a while...one good thing about being where I am...no one can make me get up!

See ya later!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just a crappy, cold, rainy day today. YUK!!

Hope you feel better later Jersey. :ghug3
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredykat View Post
Just a crappy, cold, rainy day today. YUK!!
Same here in the UK!!!
My whine is having probs again with posts being duplicated...hopefully not this one though!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My whine today is everytime I put the dogs outside and they come in they are muddier then all get out. Puppy has already had one bath today and I have the feeling there will be many more. I love snow, but come on!!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
let it grow!

car got a big scratch on it in the grocery store parking lot yesterday. gotta take it in for a buff or paint.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just found a letter I'd sent to my slumlord back in September about the shoddy roof repair job and that it's leaking AGAIN! I'll have to nag them again to send back those Crappy Roof Repair Guys to do yet another crappy patch job! Sheesh!*

*I love that word: sheesh! THank you to whoever brought it back into my vocabulary.

why is my sig missing??
Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

"why is my sig missing??"

I hear another whine coming on, eh?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ok, I'll see if it magically reappears in this post...

I believe in miracles... even little ones!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Feeling better...got up at 9:30, and went to the loo...back to bed until 1:30. In between all the interruptions, I think I got about an hour more of sleep. But, I am feeling better.

Stay dry and warm, everyone. It's a nice Autumn day here...but, too chilly for me. Guess I'll be going into hibernation soon.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Get well soon Jerz!!!! :ghug3:

Least..

*I love that word: sheesh! THank you to whoever brought it back into my vocabulary.
Hmmm..

Rust says it...I say it...but I say Sheeeshie! a lot..and a few others say it.

Maybe it's universal...?