Notices

For those With Less Than Two Weeks Sober Part 5

Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

hey everyone

and hi selfseeking.....welcome back....i'm sorry for your pain. you can come back....you are an awsome person...one slip does not have to own you, and it does not take away from the sucesses you have had...you still can only have one day clean every day. You are awsome and the days will add back up quickly.

what can you do different?

that's question has been asked of me so many times.

take care....everyone
Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Honu ....SelfSeeking....Welcome back to your SR reovery home!

shanman422...Thanks for sharing ...

Oxford...Gee that sounds frightening
I hope you are seeing a doctor quickly
Please keep in touch with us...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Well, Day 2 is here, and almost gone. I just got home from work, and usually have "a glass" of wine.....now, I"m having a Sprite Zero.....It's been a long day, and I look forward to a good night's sleep!

I have nothing in the house, and I didn't stop on the way home. Just came home to my Sprite and my puppy....

Day 3 is ahead of me, and will be working the graveyard shift tomorrow night. So, that's good, too!

Thanks to everyone for all of your support!

Honu
Old 10-29-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Good Job Honu! Day 1, 2 and 3 still have vivid memories for me, and they are not pleasant.

ksplash - You really sound strong.

I had Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off work this week. I've been really anxious about it. Went to a meeting everyday and gave myself a list of things I needed to get done. I accomplished most of them. Best of all, it is Wednesday evening and I got through my long "weekend" without picking up.

I even went to the Grocery Store and bought myself some healthy foods, like fresh organic veggies and juices and more vitamins, oh yea some different herbal tea, too.

Hope everybody is having a good night.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
being me

day 10

Hi all,

Feeling very tired tonight. Been working hard all day, and still have some stuff to do. I am busy because I had originally procrastinated, so I guess it is my fault. Oh well. Would definitely be a time when I would feel like drinking, but I know that I wouldn't have accomplished this much if I had allowed myself to be drinking.

Congrats on your healthy groceries! I know the first few sober trips to the store were a big deal for me. I used to make up excuses that I needed to buy food when I knew I was really more interested in getting alcohol.

take care everyone
K
Old 10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
being me

And Honu, you trading your "glass" of wine for a Sprite zero is a huge inspiration right now. That is just how I feel, and I am drinking tea and being proud of myself instead. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Magic way to make it through the days off. even though they are nice for hitting extra meetings and for having a mini retreat filled with recovery, it can be difficult to have less structure in the day. I like to have some days off too to try different things or meetings.

Grrr...way to go on DAY 10. and moving through procrastination. awsome that a hard one.

Honu....I cant wait to hear about DAY 3.

this can be a beautiful day
let's live while we are alive
and let go of death until it is time
Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Day 3 is now here! As I was reading about the trips to the grocery store, I used to be out "running errands", and thinking, "I don't need anything from the grocery store." As the day wore on, I thought, "well, let's see what they have that looks good." Then, after I looked at the food, I'd be in the wine aisle, and see all the good deals and sales....I couldn't pass up a sale! It was almost like I was drinking less wine because it was cheaper.

Today I am going to rake leaves, and take my patio furniture to the garage, basic yard clean up, then I go to work tonight at 9 pm. I may even take in a nap, if I'm lucky!

I keep saying it, but, THANKS AGAIN for the support!

Honu:ghug
Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

way to go Honu
I am so happy for you
day 3 today
go all the way
toward your dream
Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Well done to everyone!

I'm into day 11. I'm finding that I'm having to change so many things about myself to stay on the road to recovery, and it's really, really hard!

For instance, yesterday I was walking home and I obviously didn't cross the pedestrian crossing quickly enough, because a driver called out to me and said lots of horrible things and called me a "beeping-beep-beep". In the past, I would have had a drink, just to take the stress out of it. But now I can't have a drink, and it's quite difficult. I guess I just can't allow anyone or anything to knock me off my journey to recovery.

I'm hanging in there. Great job, everybody!

PB
Old 10-30-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Hey there Paddy, don't let someone you don't even know affect you! You have no control over idiots! If you let them get to you, you give them more control over your life than you give yourself!

Smile, you aren't drinking because of it, and you're a bigger person than they are!

I'm glad you aren't drinking! Hang in there!

Honu
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
being me

day 11

Hey PB, I know what you mean about not drinking in certain situations. Hope posted something on the 30 day and under thread last night that really resonated with me:

Quote from Hope "I don't know what came over me today. I was very happy yesterday. But today I was irritable. A huge switch. Tomorrow will be something different. So many different emotions and feelings. It is a huge adjustment learning to feel the feelings and embrace them as part of being human."

I have heard similar things before, but I loved the last line. If I feel worn out after a long day, it is just human. I don't need to make every feeling I have (including good ones) "better" by smoking a joint or drinking a bottle of wine. In fact, having a feeling is a privilege of being human, why drown it all out? All new philosophies for me of course, but I am enjoying getting a different perspective on my life.

Have a good day everyone!
Kristen
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Thanks Honu and Grrrr, I feel alot better after reading your posts. Thank you for helping me not to drink today!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Ann

Day 11, boy this is really hard.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

*hugs* to Laciemae...

It gets easier. (Telling myself that, too.)

I'm so proud of everybody on this thread Thanks for being here...
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Come on, Laciemae and SS! You can do it. There are many before you and the road is well paved!!! The ones lagging behind are in a drunken stupor! Move on to new hopes and dreams and a new life!!

That's what I'm counting on, anyway!

Someone here told me many months ago this: Don't let your story end in the bottom of a bottle.

Hugs,
Honu
Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hi, new to the forum, first post. I'll try to spare you the boring details but I'm on day 4 of not drinking after 10+ years of drinking and pot smoking and another 10 recent years of heavy drinking.

Each day gets tougher.

But the most surprising thing I've found is that instead of this making things easier on my family, it's a bit harder. I have 3 boys and our house is chaotic. Before, I was a lot more engaged with them after work, even though I was drinking the whole time.

Now, I have very little patience for the crying, the drama, etc. and all I want to do is bury my nose in a book or magazine. I recall some jokes where the dad of a chaotic family boozes because the kids are crazy and it's making a lot more sense now. And I'm wondering whether it's the lack of booze that is making me more irritable or whether the booze has kept me numb to the chaos all these years.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Hii elmutante - Welcome! 4 days is awesome. Yep, it is really hard in early recovery. I know, I'm still there. Day 17 for me. There are some great people on this thread and on this forum. Read/Post/share/vent anything you want 24/7. Someone is always here.

I know that I'm still cranky, irritable and impatient at times. It feels like riding a roller coaster. I also know that I did use alcohol to numb just about everything. It is slowly getting better.

All the rest of you, have a good day. I'm running late for my meeting so I can't address you each, like I would like to. So it will have to wait until tonight. Until then we can do this for today. Let's all chalk up one more day sober ok? You will be in my thoughts today. Take care.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Elmutante,

I think that being numbed to the chaos for years, and now being "aware" of it would make anyone irritable. How much easier it is to "deal" with life when you don't feel anything?

I think you are feeling exactly like everyone else on this site has felt. Hang in there, keep reading, and soon, I believe, you will start to cherish those moments.

How sad it would be to find out, when they are grown and gone, that you missed it all because you weren't "there".

Keep reading, and welcome to SR!

Honu
Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

elmutante....
Welcome to our recovery community

You are off to a good start
Congratulations!

I had no children around during my drinking days
or in my recovery time...
but I remember how up tight I was in early sobriety.

This did pass within a few weeks of AA recovery.

Blessings to you and your family