SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/narcotics-addiction-12-step-support/)
-   -   NA Step Guide Workbook (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/narcotics-addiction-12-step-support/48216-na-step-guide-workbook.html)

Time2Surrender 01-12-2005 06:27 PM

NA Step Guide Workbook

I thought I would start a thread to discuss the NA Step working guide book.A friend of mine just bought one and I decided to break mine out and go through it again.I just bought a new spiral note book,have my pens all ready,and will start on this tonight.So,I started this thread for anyone else working out of this book,or anyone who has used it,or maybe newcomers not familiar with it.Maybe someone can tell where they are at,or discuss the book,whatever.The book is available at this site for $7.30 http://www.na.org/catalog/prodlist.htm and I also found a CD-Rom version which I am thinking of ordering now. http://www.brsc.shoppingcartsplus.co...460/379028.htm

Dan 01-12-2005 06:39 PM

Great idea Michael.
My dog eared copy is now sitting next to the comp.
It was, and still is a vital tool for me.

Roxann 01-12-2005 06:43 PM

I just bought the big blue book, The 12 step book and the NA it works How and why, and The NA Step working guide. I can't wait to start reading them.

WNY Addict 01-12-2005 07:38 PM

The step working guide is cool, but a lot of sponsorship families have their own worksheets that they use. The step working guide can be complicated for some. A lot of sponsorship familes use the original worksheets that people before them used prior to having stepworking guides and such.

My family's philosophy is to just keep it simple, and our worksheets reflect that. They're older than the Basic Text.

The stepwork book is a nice thing to read through for a better understanding of the steps, but I got a lot more out of reading It Works, How & Why. We can always read the explanatory material on our own time.

Originally Posted by PASteelerfan
I just bought the big blue book, The 12 step book and the NA it works How and why, and The NA Step working guide. I can't wait to start reading them.

I take it you're newer to The Program if you just bought the above mentioned books. No advice from me, but it was always suggested to me that I keep Book One of the Basic text as my primary reading material in early recovery. Don't overwhelm yourself, just keep it simple. I stayed away from Book 2 of the Basic Text in early recovery as well. I was told that I had enough horror stories in my life to tide me over, and those stories from the Basic Text could wait until I had a better footing in my recovery. A lot of the non-english versions of the Basic Text only contain Book One.

The Basic text is simple stuff, but you'll find that it takes on a whole different meaning each time you read it. We grow and the book takes on a new meaning each time I read it. Stuff that may have stood out in early recovery isn't as important the second time you read it, and stuff you looked over without fully understanding the first time around take on a whole new meaning.

BTW, It's not called the "big book" in NA, it's our Basic Text. The Big Book term is AA's name for their book ;)

Time2Surrender 01-12-2005 08:33 PM

I have heard good and bad about the step guide.It can be complex.I havent worked out of it for a few years.But looking back,I seemed to do best when I was working from the step guide.So,I decided to get back into it.I also have the"It works,How and Why" book too.I will read the chapter on each step before beginning the step in the work book.I will keep posting here on my progress.

godsonmyside 01-12-2005 11:05 PM

The first page of the Step Working Guide explains the imortance of doing this with a sponsor. Some work the old work sheets, they are good. My step work before step 6 was done the old fashion way, written out on notebook paper. There are many ways. If your new, get a sponsor, these books are not meant to be self-interperated. The guy that just bought his book, Look at the very first page past the cover, we know exactly what that page has on it when we first get here - NOTHING. A good idea if you dont have a sponsor is to read the Symbol and Introduction.
I hope you can find what works for you, I suggest you don't do it alone. Everyone I sponsor does it different, each way they do it, I have done it that way myself. The things that people suggest you don't do, there is a reason why they tell you not to do that, usually they did for you.
Good luck!
Todd J.

Time2Surrender 01-12-2005 11:26 PM

Thanx Todd.Great advice there.This is what I was looking for when I started this thread.I do have a sponsor.

Phinneas 01-12-2005 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Great idea Michael.
My dog eared copy is now sitting next to the comp.
It was, and still is a vital tool for me.

Mine is dog chewed. lol :puppy: :puppy:

Count me in, Michael. My sponsor and I are starting work on this tomorrow.

hugs,

jojo

namommy 01-13-2005 06:33 AM

The first time through the steps, my sponsor used the work sheets, the next time, we started the step working guide... :hairout ...is all I can say.

I did steps 1,2,3, and 1/2 of a 4th step when I switched sponsors, and now I am doing worksheets again. I think is too complicated, drawn out, and repetitive for the first time through the steps. Just my opinion.

Please, don't attempt to work the steps without a sponsor. T2S, I know you have a sponsor, but I put that there for any other newcomer that may come across this thread.

Moontime 01-13-2005 09:43 AM

Our sponsorship family uses the step work-sheet from Bobby Remar and Sydney Remar. However, I'm redoing a 4th step through the step working guide soley on my mother. Our sponsorship work-sheet is in the sponsorship guide though the 12 step thread, if your interested.

na4today 01-13-2005 02:48 PM

What is the difference between the step working guide and the worksheet? I haven't tried to get a sponsor yet or work a step but I guess maybe I should.
na4today

Jennaddict 01-13-2005 03:39 PM

I recently bought the workbook too. I'm doing the spiral notebook thing for the first step while waiting to get my sponser (I'm being introduced at tonight's meeting). I hope the reason I need to do this with a sponser is because they'll tell me I don't have to answer all the questions, lol ;)

I'm finished with reading the Basic Text and am starting to re-read it again. So I felt it okay to buy some other books. I bought the "How it works and why" and a meditation book off of Amazon for $12 total, including S&H.

Time2Surrender 01-14-2005 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by na4today
What is the difference between the step working guide and the worksheet? I haven't tried to get a sponsor yet or work a step but I guess maybe I should.
na4today

Get a sponsor ASAP.Thats what the program is about working the steps.Your sponsor will guide you thru them.

Phinneas 01-25-2005 09:47 PM

Whew!

Well, guys, I finshed step one today out the the NA workbook. It was... intense. I wrote and wrote and wrote. It ended up being 19 pages. Some of the questions were hard and it brought up a lot of stuff. But today I am willing to look at things I have avoided for my whole life.

I met with my sponsor and read her the whole thing. Several hours and a handful of Kleenex later, I got it all out. And I felt an incredible relief. More evidence that this program works if you work it.

My sponsor, who is in AA, said that this was the most thorough first step she's ever heard. This workbook is a good tool, in my opinion. And, yes, I definately echo what others have said about doing it with a sponsor. I personally need the support and guidance and love of my sponsor to work the steps this way. Like I said, it is intense.

jojo

Gooch 01-26-2005 03:39 AM

Way to go ! (((((jojo))))

Time2Surrender 01-26-2005 04:24 AM

Right on Jojo.:)

cj. 01-26-2005 05:49 AM

(((((jojo)))))

What a wonderful start to finding your freedom!! I remember that feeling! Thanks so much for sharing your journey.

Peace and Love
cj

namommy 01-26-2005 04:29 PM

WOO HOO!!! Keep going.

Aa_vark 01-26-2005 09:03 PM

:funjump: :bananadan :funjump:

Hey ((((((((((phinny)))))))))), look the bannana has some new moves - watch him! thats great!

I am so proud of you! WAY TO GO!!!!

love, A

Phinneas 01-27-2005 01:29 AM

((((Gooch, Michael, CJ, Laurie, Dan, Aaron))))

Wow. From the heart... thank you. Your support and encouragement really means something to me.

My sponsor is having me take a short break so that I don't get too overwhelmed. The plan is to move on to step two in Feb. I will check back and let you know how that goes.
:grouphug:
jojo