Notices

NA Step Guide Workbook

Old 03-26-2005, 10:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Step Three is an Action!

As some of you know, I am working a step each month out of this workbook with my sponsor. Well, March is step three for me. Next week I'll read my writing on this step to my sponsor and I will post about how that goes, but something amazing and wonderful happened last night that I'd like to share.

Step three--Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of god...

A few days ago in a meeting I heard the first part of the Serinity prayer in a different way. I heard the word "serenity" attached to "accept the things I cannot change." It occurred to me that if I am peaceful, then I am not attached to the outcomes regarding any situation in my life. Therefore I can accept whatever happens. Hmm... So serenity is a key to acceptance.

Then two nights ago I was reflecting on the question, "what does god want for me?" Not, what is god's will, but what does god want for me, for all of us? I called my sponsor and we had a long talk, the gist of which was that in her opinion, god wants us to be happy, joyous and free and to love him. A good friend in recovery shared more thoughts on the subject, too.

So, last night I had some time before a meeting so I journalled for a bit and then worked on a few of the step three workbook questions. Suddenly, I had a moment of clarity where I could see, feel and really understand what it means to let go and accept the outcome. Serenity to accept. Freedom, for me, means that I have nothing left to lose. When I surrendered, I gave up fighting all things (including alcohol and drugs). Last night it was like I could finally connect the dots to all of these thoughts. I felt the deep peace that comes from not caring (not being attached, not trying to control) what happens to me.

I realized that step three is an action. It's a decision to turn my will and my life over... Well, friends, last night I made that decision and I feel free and at peace.

I know I will take my will back and need to work the third step every day in my recovery, but that moment of clarity I had changed me in some way.

I dunno if any of this makes sense. What I do know is this: these steps really do work when I work them.

hugs,

phinny
Old 03-26-2005, 10:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Wow,your already on step 3? Congradulations.Keep up the good work.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Step Three

Well, I read my third step to my sponsor yesterday. The way we are using the workbook is that I do a step a month and then give it to my sponsor at the end of each month. We meet weekly and also read the BB together or the 12x12 related to that step. Anyway, this seems to be working really well - I get great feedback and the experience so far has been really deep and thorough.

On to Step 4... :sweat

phinny
Old 03-30-2005, 10:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phinneas

On to Step 4... :sweat

phinny
In the long run it will pay off big time.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Im thinking of buying one of these.Not sure why.I have the work book. http://www.lsrna.com/eshop/10Expand....ductCode=W8911
Old 05-13-2005, 07:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Just started step 3 this week.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
NA

yes, i am ineterested in looking at the sheet, but being new to this, cannot find it
Old 12-07-2005, 07:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

.. Just read the entire thread here. Wow! I'm outa breath from all the work all of you people have been doing! hehe
.. I'm starting Step 1 w/ my sponsor (again). As soon as I finish Step 12, we roll back to Step 1. It keeps me from thinking too much of myself and sometimes helps me to get thru the trials and tribblations of living life. We've decided to forgo the Working Guide this time around and Keep It Simple.
.. This is the Step Writing Guide we're going to use. I first used this one back in the late 80's.
.. Bravo to all who're starting out on their Steps for the 1st time! It's a journey well worth the work!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I havent seen this thread in a while.I read through all the posts again.Brought back memories.Reading my old posts is almost comical for me.Damn I wa so full of $hit.I started this thread almost one year ago.A lot has changed for me.When I started this thread I was hitting meetings and trying to stay clean but would not make it but a few days.I never gave up.I always knew I wanted recovery.I kept coming back.I now have 7 months.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by iou1na
.. Just read the entire thread here. Wow! I'm outa breath from all the work all of you people have been doing! hehe
.. I'm starting Step 1 w/ my sponsor (again). As soon as I finish Step 12, we roll back to Step 1. It keeps me from thinking too much of myself and sometimes helps me to get thru the trials and tribblations of living life. We've decided to forgo the Working Guide this time around and Keep It Simple.
.. This is the Step Writing Guide we're going to use. I first used this one back in the late 80's.
.. Bravo to all who're starting out on their Steps for the 1st time! It's a journey well worth the work!
Thanks for posting that link I book marked it looks like a good work book also I am going to copy it down that is for sure. I am on the 4th step of the NA Step Study Guide the first 3 with a sponsor were pretty easy but the fourth OMG..But you know what it is a process not an event. I am proud to say that I am getting real close to 9 months now but I have done it like everyone else here One Day At A Time / Just For Today I will have faith in someone in NA who believes in ME and wants to help me with my recovery. What a wonderful thing to have a WE PROGRAM>>>

Love Vic
Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
I can do this!

Hi Everyone,

As I posted in another thread (somewhere!) I went to my first NA meeting last night and it was really great. I am so glad I went. I am now 1 full 24 hours clean. I got the Just for Today book plus all the literature they had. I got a list of all the ladies names at the meeting and plan to call a few of them today, even just to say hi.

I really want to get a sponsor and work the steps. I had a sponsor in the Al Anon / Co Anon program due to the effects of my husbands cocaine addiction. But I really feel I need to start from scratch for my own addiction.

Does anyone here sponsor online?

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

oops...edit.
wrong thread!

But congrats to you all on all the hard work!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Looking back. May 13th I started step 3. I stuggled with this step. For many reasons. Not because I dont believe in God. More because I lacked faith in God's will for me.How would I know what that is? What if Mike's will is better? Perhaps God and me could compare our plans and merge them into one? Yeah right!!! Mike's will is what got me here. Gods will is what kept me alive and brought me to NA. Today my faith is night and day compared to just a couple months ago. On a daily basis, I pray for the knowledge of God's will for me and the power to carry it out.And it works. Yesterday I finally went over my 3rd step with my sponsor. Last night and today I worked on step 4. I can already see its a good thing I started with a new notebook. I am also realizing I need to leave a lot of space between my answers to the questions and everything I am writing. I can already see I will be going back. On the first 3 steps my answers were pretty brief. On step 4 its hard to do that. I have gone through 20 pages in my new notebook on 27 questions. My goal is to complete this step by December 31st and go over it with my sponsor. I have a fairly long list of resentments. Its also intresting to be learning how I also played a part in many of those resentments if not all of them. I really do enjoy working out of the NA step guide. I am finally getting to know myself.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hi everyone, I am new to this thread but I have been recovering for some time now. I really look forward to being a part of these step working guide discussions.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hi, trying to figure out how to post
Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I purchased the cd copies of each book to run on my computer. I found I could type endlessly my responses to the questions in the step working guide. I could change the colors of the text each time I made a new entry for that question.
Originally my sponsor had me purchase each book.
he told me to read the first step in the basic text, for a week, and then read step one in it works how and why for a week and then work it in the step working guide.
when I finished I was to tell him what I learned.
We did this for all 12 steps.
I wrote everything out by hand.
1 day I found the cd version of the books online and I purchased them.
ever since then I have been doing my step work on the computer. I even found the pdf files for my droid x. I can read just for today and do all of my step work on my phone.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Wow...you dug up one from the archives!! (2005???)
Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

wow...that was the year I got clean....I was only two weeks clean when this thread dropped off 12/14/2005!!

Welcome ToddB!

Todd I have all three of those particular texts on audio CD also.

I like to listen to the step I'm working on (after having read it a few times) as Im driving on long drives. I have become a better listener as I go....and it helps me to listen to someone elses voice passing along the information.

I have worked my steps similar to you (only not for a specific length of time): Read the Basic text step ...then the IWH&W then use the SWG for further consideration of what I ought to be writing about.

My sponsor didn't even have the SWG when she got clean. Over the more recent years she has delved into it.

I've had the Basic Text and IWH&W texts on audio cd for 3 or 4 years but just received the SWG as a birthday gift just last week. I am very excited to have it!

Again, welcome ToddB

Peace,
Missy
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i'm currently using the step working guide and while verbose and redundant, it's also through and beneficial for me.

somebody tell me about these worksheets. can i find them online somewhere?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hello! I'm new to this site..but I wanted to comment on the step working guide..My Sponsor has me doing my step work out of this book...and I think it's an awesome guide to working our steps...I'm currently working on my 4th step and have had a lot of feelings come up! I know that this step is crucial in my recovery and even though some not so good feelings have come up..I trust and believe in my HP so much that I know he is guiding me this process..