Notices

NA Step Guide Workbook

Old 01-27-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

that is GREAT jo jo!!!!!

I am working my steps for the 3rd time, this time through the workbook. And I will tell you this is the most thorough time so far. With the questions in this workbook I am dealing with stuff that I have not dealt with in the past and I hate it and I love it all at the same time.

I am on Step 6 right now and my sponsor had me read "Drop the Rock". Awesome book letting go of our character defects. I highly recommend it when you get there.

Great thread....we have to keep reminding ourselves and the newcomer about the importance of the steps.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Originally Posted by Phinneas
Whew!

Well, guys, I finshed step one today out the the NA workbook. It was... intense. I wrote and wrote and wrote. It ended up being 19 pages. Some of the questions were hard and it brought up a lot of stuff. But today I am willing to look at things I have avoided for my whole life.

jojo
I'm working through still, I'm at denial and yes, it does bring up a bunch of stuff. Funny how we avoided the truth for so long, and now we are just pouring it out on paper.

Keep it up JoJo!!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PASteelerfan
I'm working through still, I'm at denial and yes, it does bring up a bunch of stuff. Funny how we avoided the truth for so long, and now we are just pouring it out on paper.

Keep it up JoJo!!
There is a question in denial I dont understand.
Am I comparing a current manifestation of my addiction to the way my life was before I got clean? Am I plagued by the idea that I should know better?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dan

I go through the same thing sometimes T2.
I remember that feeling after a binge, where it seemed I had compromised everything I had left. Where in fact all I had really done was lock myself up, away from everyone to snort a bag or drink a case. The guilt, shame, remorse got really bad the last few years.
Maybe even a certain amount of paranoia.
Although I knew that all I was looking at in the near term was a period of withdrawal, it seemed the world was closing in on me. Someone could have told me I had murdered their children the night before, and part of me would believe them, even knowing I hadn't left my house.
Some people call it awfulizing.
"I should have known better..."
Today, sober, I still tend to awfulize. If I snap at my kids for whatever reason, I'll sometimes agonize over it, beating myself up with negative talk. Part of my addict mind set expects me to be a perfect parent now that I'm sober.
Blowing things out of proportion was an everyday thing when I was active.
And when it happens now... Well, that's part of what I wrote in answer to that particular question in the step guide.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Boy,I can so relate to that Dan.I tend to awfulize a lot myself.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Phinneas, just a suggestion. You said your sponsor is giving you a break in between steps. When my sponsees finish writing on a step, I have them 'consciously practice living it' in their lives. I tell them to actually think about how they can or did apply the first step on a daily basis. It not only helps them to learn how to live this thing, but it also helps them from getting stagnant in between steps, while they let things sink in.

There is at least one area of my life that I compare a current manifestation to the past. It is usually with sexual issues. I act out, and then think "sh*t, i did it again, I've been here, done this, I should know better." Someone usually reminds me to compare myself to myself, and I then see that even though I acted out, I didn't take it as far or it wasn't as bad as it has been in the past. Progress, not perfection.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Someone usually reminds me to compare myself to myself, and I then see that even though I acted out, I didn't take it as far or it wasn't as bad as it has been in the past. Progress, not perfection.
Amen to that!
Old 01-29-2005, 03:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

I just finished Step One!!
Old 01-29-2005, 04:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Whoo Hoo, good for you, now on to step 2.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PASteelerfan
I just finished Step One!!
Right on
Old 03-01-2005, 10:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Step Two

I worked on Step Two all month and tonight read my answers to the workbook questions out loud to my sponsor. I love how indepth it is and she told me that I am building a solid foundation. It feels good!

:hoo

Onward and upward!!

phinny
Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This is interesting to me. I attended an NA meeting by mistake a few weeks ago and heard the NA version of AA's Chapter 5. I liked it! Some of the wording in the Big Book leaves much to be desired. :/

I've not tried many drugs (a ton of MJ, some meth and other uppers 20 years ago, mushrooms) but none of them were in the "gotta have it" category. Alcohol is the one that sunk it's teeth into me.

After the NA meeting, I asked around in AA about the book, which I learned was called the "Basic Text" but no one here seems to know where to get it locally. No biggie, I can get it from Amazon and will get the workbook too.

It's all addiction anyway, isn't it?

Tracy
Old 03-01-2005, 11:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by TracyAgain
It's all addiction anyway, isn't it?
That's what I've been told

Hey Phinny!
Way to write it our my friend!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TracyAgain
I attended an NA meeting by mistake a few weeks ago and heard the NA version of AA's Chapter 5. I liked it! Some of the wording in the Big Book leaves much to be desired. :/
I hate when that happens.A few weeks ago I attended a womens meeting by mistake,but they asked me to leave.Just kidding around. Actually I have always attended AA and NA.I have friends from both programs.Some just stick to one program and others go to both like I do.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Im back in this book with a new sponsor.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I got lots of them

I finished step one for my first time in my workbook about a month and a half ago. My sponsor at the time was a bad choice for me and resigned her. I'm now just getting up enough courage to call my new sponsor for the 2nd time and perhaps we'll go through my first step soon.

I've done a bit of the second step already, I hope that's not a huge no no.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am also using the NA It works and why book along with the Step Guide.I read each chapter out of the book pertaining to the step before I do it out of the workbook.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Dan

Wow...
What a shiny new copy
My How and Why was given to me a while back.
It already had coffee stains on it!

New or old, it's a great complement to the step guide.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan

New or old, it's a great complement to the step guide.
Yup
Old 03-26-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

The NA Step Guide is also available on-line http://www.louisvilleareana.org/narc...tep_workin.htm LOl,when I Google NA Step Guide it takes me right back here to this thread.I was actually looking to download the pages so I wouldnt have to write out all the questions.