Notices

when can i sponsor

Old 10-27-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when can i sponsor

was sober, almost 6 yrs,worked all 12 steps before, now a second go, sober almost 8 months,
when is the best time to sponsor again.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good question. I currently sponsor 3 guys and take 9 months in two days. I've been through all 12 this period of sobriety, as well as the traditions and am now back in the steps. After I went through the 12 steps I approached my own sponsor with the chapter working with others and he told me to be open to sponsoring others, to even offer if the moment seemed appropriate. The next day my 1st sponsee approached me and asked me to sponsor him.

My personal opinion about sponsorship and service is that it is part of the program, and a very important part. Sure, it can be a responsibility, but it objectively isn't. It's something we do to stay sober ourselves.

I was told by another person that I'm ready to sponsor when I have something to offer and a desire to stay sober.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I'm old-school...and I'm a firm believer that there's a difference between being a sponsor and being a member of a support network. One of the first suggestions we receive is to join a home group. The literature tells us that the group has the initial responsibility for sponsoring a newcomer, yet...sponsoring in this sense is about helping the newcomer become familiar with NA and the fellowship. We can help others without being their sponsor. Sponsorship on a one-on-one basis is primarily about guiding someone through the 12 steps. I follow the original sponsorship IP which tells us that a sponsor should have a "working knowledge" of the 12 Steps. It also states that one should seek the guidance of their own sponsor before sponsoring others.

It is unfortunate that too many of us are overly eager to give away something we have yet to obtain ourselves. In my area there have been a number of newer members (all with less than a year clean and few past the 4th step) that have taken it upon themselves to sponsor others without running their decision past their own sponsor...and all of them relapsed.

I'm just sayin...