Notices

Can you work the steps

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement guys
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

To a certain point the steps can be worked without any meetings, or having a sponsor... but there will be a few roadblocks that you'll have to be creative to get around.

5th step, you'll have to have someone you trust to talk to. Can be anyone, but IMO it's preferable to do with someone in recovery. And definitely not a significant other.

12th step you'll need people to share your recovery with. Meetings is the best place for that. Not really sure where you'll find others in need except for here... it ain't like in the old days where you could search the hospitals and stuff. Those people are already hooked up pretty well.

I don't see any reason why the rest of the steps couldn't be done alone, although I think it's an excellent idea to have someone to run everything by. We can get pretty nuts inside our own heads. There's an awesome line in the twelve and twelve that always jumps out at me because it describes a lot of people I know... wait, I'll go get my step book and find it... ...

...there, that only took about 10 minutes.

p. 60 ""How many times have we heard well intentioned people claim the guidance of God when it was all too plain that they were sorely mistaken. Lacking both practice and humility they had deluded themselves and were able to justify the most arrant nonsense on the ground that this was what God had told them."

Not sure why the italacized line cracks me up, but it does. Point is that it's a good idea to be sharing what's going on with others, as most people believe god works best through people. The step book actually says a lot about doing this stuff with someone else. Doesn't mean it's the only way though.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thankyou for your well thought out, non biased and honest post! I really appreciate it

Lucky for me, my pastor is also in recovery so I would be happy to do those bits of the steps with him and his wife.