Notices

New to all this...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down New to all this...

Soooo, I don't really know how all the twelve steps go but I do know that I'm trying to stay off of Heroin after being an addict for two years.I have been clean for a month now, Isolated in this small town in Montana, that doesn't have any NA meetings, being that I'm from Arizona,and don't know too many people..
If anyone could just clarify what exactly is the first step and what is the most assuring way to complete it. That would be very appreciated.. (:
Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Welcome to SR Choelene,

It is my experience that the 12 Steps shouldn't be embarked upon solo. We addicts are great ones for manipulating the truth, and since spotting denial is something most of us cannot do alone, it's HIGHLY suggested that we get a sponsor to guide us through this process.

It is also my experience to find that those who put forth the most effort into their recovery are those who get the most out of it. I went to great lengths to get my drugs and in order for me to STAY CLEAN I had to become willing to do the same for my recovery. Although there may not be any NA meetings where you live, I'm sure you can find some nearby by using the NA Meeting Locator. At meetings you'll be able to find support, friendship & fellowship (and a sponsor). Here's the link:

NA Meeting Locator

As far as Step One goes, you can check out the numerous discussions we've had here at SR in the NA Step Study Forum:

NA Step 1 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Or you can either purchase an NA Basic Text at a meeting or online and read (for yourself) what it's all about.

Best wishes & keep coming back.
G